Danielle Roth
Danielle Roth asked:

Some one please explain this: "Two gray, wooden chairs are arranged in the corner to suggest a conversational gathering place, but the chairs look as though they've never been used." Page 65 I can totally not picture that. What the heck is a conversational gathering place? What does that mean? Wouldn't that just be any chair?

To answer questions about The Testing, please sign up.
Mary-Anne The terms "conversational gathering place" were a bad fit. They were way to adult or too architectural. She was trying to describe that they chairs were places in the corner in a way that would encourage people to sit down and have a conversation - by their placement & proximity.

The editor should have asked for a re-write.
Mvm2407 If you remember when they first arrive she describes the cold and uninviting look of the building. She also describes the adults attempt to hide the grim look of the building by the landscaping and the beautiful flowers. I think the adults are trying to do the same thing they realize that the entrance looks dismal and add chairs to give the impression that things will be normal inside. But Cia notices right off the bat that they are just staged and never used.
Maisy Moss It's like when you go into a living room and someone has two chairs kinda facing each other but not entirely. Then they are talking but also looking out into the room.
Weird Its like a discussion group or a book club of a sort. Chairs are usually in somewhat of a semi circle and if they look as though they have not been used, maybe that means that the seats look brand new yet, dusty and not worn. Hope I helped the picture!
Thora I assume that a conversational gathering place is where people go to casually talk about things (converse), so it'd be comfortable, to set you at ease, and the chairs would be roughly facing each other as for those sitting down to speak. I also think that chairs in a relaxed, conversational environment would be worn, so the fact they looked like they'd never been used would appear odd. This makes me think that the chairs would be quite comfortable ones, or something? I'm not sure, but I hope this helps!
Image for The Testing