Olivier Haemhouts

What are similar books? The theme reminded me of the series Deadwood & the movies Raging Bull and There Will Be Blood. For some strange reason I am fascinated by these obsessed cold-blooded types like the Colonel and the Al Swearengens of this world. ; )

To answer questions about The Son, please sign up.
Kylie Galbraith I know you posted a year ago but I thought Id comment with a few suggestions. I agree with Cam Hoff. Definitely Cormac McCarthy books. I would recommend Blood Meridian.
I absolutely loved The Son and want to read his other book. Larry Mcmurtry's Lonesome Dove series might be of interest to you?
Also, (you probably know this) Deadwood was based in part on the book 'Deadwood' by Pete Dexter.
Robert McAusland Country of the Bad Wolfes by James Carlos Blake is a wonderful read similar to The Son. Of course Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry is THE BEST Western ever to be written.
Alisa The Son reminded me of two of my all-time favorites: Lonesome Dove and The House of the Spirits. The theme of multi-generational revenge is a major theme in HOS.
Josh Yeah, Cormac McCarthy. My fav book by McCarthy is Blood Meridian. If you liked this, Blood Meridian is right up your alley (as are a lot of McCarthy books to be honest).
The Shayne-Train The same feeling, if not the same sense of history, exists in a new genre called "hillbilly noir." I recommend 'Donnybrook' by Frank Bill or 'The Devil All the Time' by Donald Ray Pollock. For straight-up Deadwood-ian, murderous frontier fun, I highly suggest 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt.
Jason X East of Eden by Steinbeck, The Cartel by Don Winslow
Luke Johnson I second all the comment about Cormac McCarthy and his beautiful and intensely violent Blood Meridian and I would also add The Orenda by Joseph Boyden. It's also told from three points of view, involves Native captives, is quite violent, but is set in Canada a couple hundred years or so before The Son. The characters are not as Machiavellian as Eli but I really enjoyed it.
Ramona "Not Between Brothers" starts off with a bang and is better than The Son. Kevin Costner bought the rights to "Not Between Brothers," as far as I know.
Cam Hoff Read some McCarthy. Particularly Blood Meridian and All the Pretty Horses - parts of The Son read a lot like each of these.
Erica I feel the same way; I really loved The Son. If you haven't read Cormac McCarthy, you're in for a bloody good time. The usual starting point is All the Pretty Horses. I started and quit reading Blood Meridian three times over a number of years before I persevered through its furious violence and finally, feverishly finished it, thirsty for more.
Rand Rhody The Big Sky by A. B. Guthrie, Jr, 1947. A five-star tale of mountain men and Indians/Native Americans in the 1830s and early 1840s.
The Pulitzer Prize committee missed The Big Sky, so they gave him the Prize for his less spectacular follow-on book, The Way West in 1950.

Giant by Edna Ferber, 1952, is another multi-generational book on similar themes of Texas cattle and oil and Mexicans. Made into the 1956 movie with James Dean and Rock Hudson. Still a pretty great movie.
Image for The Son
by Philipp Meyer (Goodreads Author)