Amanda
Amanda asked:

Can someone help me find a book for a lover of the Heaven Tree Trilogy who also has the following preferences: the ideal period is 12th/13th century, ideal country is England, and the main characters should not be royalty/aristocracy, but among the lower/middle classes? My grandmother loves this trilogy, and as she’s currently bedridden I would dearly love to send her books. I hope you all can help me. Thank you!

To answer questions about The Heaven Tree Trilogy, please sign up.
Chinasa Has she read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett? Fits all your preferences almost perfectly and is one of my all time favorite books.
C.J. Brightley Has she read Edith Pargeter's other books? Try the Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet (Sunrise in the West, the Dragon at Noonday, the Hounds of Sunset, Afterglow and Nightfall), A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury, and maybe The Marriage of Meggotta (very hard to find, sorry).

She would probably also like Sharon Kay Penman. Try the Welsh Princes Trilogy (Here Be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and The Reckoning) and the Plantagenets series (starts with When Christ and His Saints Slept).

Everything I mentioned above focuses more on aristocracy, but otherwise had a similar feel to The Heaven Tree Trilogy. Edward Rutherfurd wrote a few that focus more on the lower classes but have a different overall feel. They are London, The Forest, and Sarum: The Novel of England.
Mike A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury, by the same author is wonderful. I just finished it, and have begun The Heaven Tree Trilogy.
Yes, it has some main characters who are royal, but they are generally depicted as being evil dishonourable bastards (à la Macbeth), so your mom may still like it!
Geoff G Either of Dorothy Dunnett's series -- the Lymond Chronicles and the House of Niccolo -- should fill the bill. Sometimes challenging but beautifully written and engaging.
Heather Look into Dorothy Dunnett's The Game of Kings (The Lymond Chronicles).
Larry Here be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and the Reckoning, comprise Sharon Kay Penman' Welsh trilogy. The series is well researched and beautifully crafted -- Penman is a favorite author, and this series is some of her best work.
Image for The Heaven Tree Trilogy