Marsha Raasch
Marsha Raasch asked:

I came to read the reviews because my 7th grader is reading this, and she HATES it! It actually sounds like a kind of book I'd like, since I loved "children in peril" books growing up, and revelled in angsty YA novels. It remains to be seen if she'll like it by the end, or even give it a chance and finish it, beyond googling plot outlines of relevant chapters for class discussion.

To answer questions about Okay for Now, please sign up.
Marsha Raasch Of course, I always say that a good way to spoil a book is to make it classroom required reading.
Sarah Lewis Since it's been four years since you wrote this, I'm sure your reader has long since moved on. But I dropped in to say that in cases like this, I'll often switch my kid over to the audiobook edition of a book. If it's for school, I usually make him read along so he knows the words by sight, but it still goes faster and with less struggle, particularly for books that feel "slow" to him.
Diane Winfrey I loved this book! I hope your daughter gave it a chance!
Crxxe I absolutely loved this book. And I would agree about making books required reading = spoiling it but that was what I thought Jane Eyre was too. Alas, to my unending delight, Jane Eyre is truly one of my favorites - so sneaky of school to make me like a book. Perhaps that is why I like this too...?
John What? This book is fantastic, and I would think a seventh grader would enjoy it more than most. The first pages are very gripping, and you are sucked into the world and love the character and his narration almost instantaneously. It's very easy to keep on reading it and fall in love with the story. I hope she gives it another chance, I can't imagine why anyone would hate this book.
Melanie One of my favorites, but I can see some young people not connecting to it.
Anna I loved this book. I recommend it to almost everyone.
Image for Okay for Now