Goodreads asked Bob Casella:

Bob Casella The idea for ThORIUM came from a Vice documentary called "Thorium Dream", which is about post-WWII nuclear energy programs and how the US chose to pursue uranium enrichment over thorium because of the military benefits of uranium - which can be used for bombs. Thorium, it turns out, is more abundant, more stable, and by far more advantageous from a civilian standpoint, yet the powers at be decided to pursue uranium in the wake of the Cold War.

When I saw this documentary, my mind got churning about all of the behind the scenes of what must have taken place in the 50s for our leaders to choose the wrong nuclear program.

Taking this mis-step and deciding to have some fun, I came up with the idea of exploring a fictional web of corrupt politics, war mongering, and secret operatives. The purpose is to create a thrilling story that will also get people thinking about the future of energy.