Goodreads asked Josin L. McQuein:

Josin L. McQuein Keep at it. That's not very exciting, I know, but it's how you get things done. And once you're done, do your research so you know what you're getting yourself into. Check out publishers, check out agents, check out your options for self-publishing, if that's what you want to do. Information is your friend. I think I've seen more people trip up on this stage than while they're actually polishing their book. You spend so much time and effort getting your book perfect; don't ruin that by being careless with how you handle the finished product.

Beyond that, use social media as a tool, not just a pass-time. Professional sites are great, but they're only showing you one face of the people you're looking to work with. Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pintrest, etc, are far more informal, so the version you see is more like the one you'd actually meet in person.