Linda Foulsham

Is this book appropriate for young adults?

To answer questions about The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., please sign up.
Joby Elliott imo basically any book is. If they're interested in reading let them read whatever they want.

I haven't read this one (yet), but I read my first Neal Stephenson book when I was about 12 and have been a huge fan ever since. I think I turned out all right.
Chrystina Yes. There's some explicit language, but nothing worse than they probably hear at school. The sex, what little there is, is suggested rather than graphically spelled out.

I loved the book, but it was long, with a complicated storyline, a lot of characters and a lot of moving parts and a LOT of jargon. There some adults I wouldn't recommend this book to for those reasons alone.

If your YA is a reader with an interest in SciFi/Fantasy you shouldn't have any concerns with this book.
Cheyenne This book is NOTHING like Harry Potter. If you pick up this book because you think it might be like Harry Potter, you will be sorely disappointed. Explicit language, sexual harassment, complex quantum physics theories, and a whole a chapter about how witches were prostitutes in Victorian London. I would not recommend this book to someone who is looking for a "Young Adult" since all the characters are older and the themes are very mature.
JP Peters One of the main characters is a prostitute (from the past). That may bother some parents. There is also one brief but racy scene.

I would let my 14yo read it but, to be honest, he would probably find this one a little boring.
J. Walker That's one of those dreaded three-part questions-
Is it appropriate for that age group? Is it too raw, to aggressive and likely to be misunderstood by the adolescent mind? Will it go right over their heads?
Mostly, though, I agree with Joby Elliott. At 17, I had to sneak a copy of Valley of the Dolls home from the library (I could get it there, but I couldn't be seen reading it at home! LOL) - and that is the essential hypocrisy of censorship. If it's not their rules, they won't follow them.
And on the topic of topics, I say, let them read what interests them. If it bothers you, talk it over with them. Have some coffee (decaf for the teen), and talk. Otherwise, keep reading, and let them do the same.
Pat Patterson Please elaborate. The only restrictions for "Young Adults" are the same as for Adult Adults: vocabulary and reading comprehension. If you can read it, you can read it. I went to public school in NYC and I read all of Jack London in 7-8th grade, and Flowers for Algernon in 6th grade English. All of the Tarzan books too. We did Shakespere in grade school.

I was a YA and none of those would be considered YA niche. I also read Judy Blume and other "young adult" books, but back then that just meant easier vocabularies and simpler story lines. Who knows what it means today. Some YA has sex and violence and drugs, just done by teens instead of adults.

Please specify what you don't like: sex, violence, drugs, adult situations, language, etc., so someone can tell you if it's in this book.
Jim Heter Like Anathem, DODO is set in a parallel universe, although not very obviously so at first (the Pentagon becomes the Trapezoid). From the start it takes the form of a chronicle written in 1851 and not infrequently the writer, regretting some strongly worded expression, crosses it out and encodes it in a euphemism. An example of Stephenson's humor, I think, but opportunity for those who want to be offended to be so. There are other examples of wordplay and situations that could be deemed risque, but suggestive rather than explicit. As Joby said, I would have happily read this book at 12, and felt the mysteries of the universe were being revealed to me, while actually remaining quite innocent.
Evan Hammerman They may not be familiar enough with European history to really enjoy the book. Don't worry about math or science, though. Unlike "Anathem" or "Seveneves", there is no orbital mechanics.
David Martin If this were a movie, it would be on the "hard end" of PG-13, but not really rated R. Language, some lustful thoughts expressed, a couple brothel scenes and the sex scene aren't really explicit.

This is not an "adult" book in my opinion. But everyone's tastes and thresholds vary.
Pc MacDonald Sure. W/O a doubt.
walter chaffee Its written for a teenager. Harry potter meets James bond
Derek I'm already about 50 pages into the book, and I can attest to the fact that there is explicit swearing - but, let's face it, you're going to find that in almost every middle and high school nowadays. You'd be surprised what kids already know by the time they reach high school.

If young adults are fans of Harry Potter, they'd probably like this one as well. And let's face it, this is probably going to garner comparisons to Harry Potter (if it hasn't already). Let them give the book a chance. They might be surprised - in a pleasant way.
Pavel Lishin There's some explicit swearing, and some references to sex.

There's some content that would go over their heads; the satire of bureaucracy will probably not make sense to them.
tivasyk as the name « young ADULTS » suggests one should probably just stop acting as if one OWNed them ;-)
Janey Not really. There are sex scenes, nudity, cursing. I think the science would be over a lot of young people's heads.
Christopher Donaghue Depends on what you consider to be appropriate. There is a bit of violence, but really not much. There is profanity tossed about casually, but really not too bad - at least not to an obnoxious level. There is a bit of sex - described clinically in a military report - and a few lines of foreplay leading up to sex. Other than that, there is little a parent should find objectionable.
Beth Kakuma-Depew All the characters have a jaded or disinterested attitude towards sex. I think there are better time travel stories for teens. But as other's have said - if the teen can make through the dense middle part and not get bored - then let them!
Image for The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
by Neal Stephenson (Goodreads Author)