Vanessa
Vanessa asked:

Is this well-written? She's published before, but I was a bit disappointed by the writing in Empress of a Thousand skies (another sci-fi) and hoping for something less middle-grade and strong and epic.

To answer questions about Defy the Stars, please sign up.
Pamela Hill I'm a little confused by these comments. Claudia Gray did not write Empress of a Thousand Skies. Are you thinking of A Thousand Pieces of You?
Cansın This question, as posed, is flawed. I feel bad for Claudia Gray because there will now be some people who read the question before any reviews and immediately dismiss this book because they hated Empress of A Thousand Skies... without realizing the question erroneously makes it appear as if it was a previously published by the same author. If at all possible, you should have this question deleted in order to avoid the unfortunate circumstance.
Ashley (BooksViaAshley) This is everything Empress of a Thousand Skies was not (I was disappointed by EofTS too). Defy the Stars is really a great book! I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Danielle This is above and beyond anything Claudia Gray has written before. I found her other work decent but not memorable, while Defy the Stars is in a league of it's own. I too was unimpressed by Empress of a Thousand Skies (1star) and was nervous about this one. You have no need to be -its awesome!
Vanessa Revised Question:

Is Defy the Stars well-written? I see that Claudia Gray published other works before. I heard there are similarities between Empress of a Thousand Skies written by Rhoda Belleza, another sci-fi. The latter felt somewhat more middle-grade. I'm hoping for something more "upper YA".
Heather-Lin Your question, the way it's worded right now is confusing, implying Claudia Gray wrote this Empress book that disappointed you. I wouldn't have suspected it was another author's work if I hadn't seen others challenging this in the comments. Rather than delete your question, can you edit it for clarity? Like... (another sci-fi written by a different author) etc. That way we get the best of both worlds: no inadvertent shade towards Claudia and a valuable discussion :)
Victoria I found this and Lost Stars to be her best work.
Image for Defy the Stars
by Claudia Gray (Goodreads Author)