Poll

What is the True God of the Bible like?

The Trinity - like no other god
 
  48 votes 78.7%

Other - please describe in comments
 
  7 votes 11.5%

Monotheistic - like Allah or Jehovah (of the Jehovah's Witnesses)
 
  4 votes 6.6%

Polytheistic - like Hindu deities or the Mormon gods
 
  2 votes 3.3%

61 total votes

Poll added by: Robert



Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)


message 1: by Judah (new)

Judah Why aren't we allowed to create our own polls? It would be an interesting conversation starter.
Also I'm confused as to the purpose of this poll. Surely anyone here should have a passing familiarity with the Trinity. This question feels vague, and trap-like.


message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Judah wrote: "Why aren't we allowed to create our own polls? It would be an interesting conversation starter.
Also I'm confused as to the purpose of this poll. Surely anyone here should have a passing familiarit..."


To my knowledge, only moderators are able to create polls. Let me look and see if it is possible for group members.

There is no "trap" intended. As you can see, there are already some non-Trinitarian votes.


message 3: by Judah (new)

Judah Robert wrote: "Judah wrote: "Why aren't we allowed to create our own polls? It would be an interesting conversation starter.
Also I'm confused as to the purpose of this poll. Surely anyone here should have a pass..."


Oh, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Hmm, well if you say so. It at least makes me feel a bit more comfortable than the last one.


message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann I just checked and it is possible for group members to create polls. I have made the change, and you should now be able to create polls.


message 5: by Judah (new)

Judah Robert wrote: "I just checked and it is possible for group members to create polls. I have made the change, and you should now be able to create polls."

Thank you!


message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Judah wrote: "Robert wrote: "I just checked and it is possible for group members to create polls. I have made the change, and you should now be able to create polls."

Thank you!"


You're welcome.


message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod You can't be a Christian without the Trinity - although many keep trying. Might as well worship Mother Nature or Lokiz


message 8: by Stuart (new)

Stuart The Jewish Yahweh is as mythological as any other pagan deity.

Yahweh is not "God".

The idea of "God" was imagined for thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of years before Jewish people imagined their single, wrathful, genocidal, imaginary Yahweh.


message 9: by Alford (new)

Alford Wayman I am in some ways with Stuart above. As the texts read it is possible that during the early stages of the formation of Israel the early tribal league. Had different deities or different names for the same one. Which led to the writers having Joshua , in an effort to unite the tribes, say what he does in Joshua 24:14-15

The writer also makes the deities cohesive in Exodous 6 2-3

"And God said to Moses, "I am Yahweh--'the LORD.'
I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as El-Shaddai--'God Almighty'--but I did not reveal my name, Yahweh, to them."

“Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

Also later we have an image of the divine council in action in 1 Kings 22

Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing around him on his right and on his left. And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’

“One suggested this, and another that. Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’

“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

“‘I will go out and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

“So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”


In short I have no issues with the Hebrew deity being harsh. Nor there being other deities helping out. or adding in the NT Jesus. Considering the war like climate of the Ancient Near East we should expect nothing less. It is best to stay on his good side however, even the just and good get the hammer unexpectedly. It seems to be all the things Dawkins mentioned in the introduction to the God delusion. and the followers end up being compliant victims in some ways.

However I am not one to follow atheist extremism because I have great respect for the literature and loved reading the texts out of the ancient near east. , as much as the biblical literature. The writer and scholar Joseph Campbell showed me how important such things are to society.

Love these dicussions.


message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins The "God(s)" referred to in the Old Testament (OT) are referring to flesh and blood aliens which is why "God" would seem schizophrenic in the OT, if you falsely perceive the OT "God" as one God and not different entities as they truly were. Side note, our english word, God, replaced the original names of the different "Gods" in our modern-day Bible. Hence, during some OT Verses "God" is promoting love, forgiveness, care, etc. yet in other instances "God" is commanding to "rape the women," "kill the babies," etc.
The True God would be "the Father" that Jesus refers to in his messages. This refers to the entity who is the Creator of the spiritual realm/dimension.
Shay Dawkins
The Good News: How Revealing Delusions In Christianity Will Bring Peace To All


message 11: by Rod (new)

Rod Wow! This is crazy fun. Do continue....


message 12: by Stuart (last edited Jun 30, 2017 01:44AM) (new)

Stuart If "God" really is the Jehovah/Jesus/Holy Ghost combo deal - you would think one of them would have scribbled something on a tablet of stone, or inspired Moses, or whoever else didn't write the mythology and propaganda of the Hebrew texts, to clearly describe the whole "Trinity" thing.

Because, as we know, it causes great consternation when believers of great faith (who ALL know the "correct" answers, of course) have widely differing knowledge of the "truth".

But no - as with many, many things in the human-written biblical "scriptures", the Trinity Truth isn't clearly mentioned - and you just have to do what the faithful have always done, and find bits that can mean just whatever you choose them to mean.


message 13: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Glad you're having crazy fun, Rod.


message 14: by Rod (new)

Rod The Trinity Is clearly shown. Over and over again. Some people are just desperate to reduce God to their human logic.


message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Rod wrote: "The Trinity Is clearly shown. Over and over again. Some people are just desperate to reduce God to their human logic."

I agree!

Deu 6:4 - tells us there is ONE God
Jude 1:1 - tells us that the Father IS this ONE God
John 20:28 - tells us that Jesus the Son IS this ONE God
Acts 5:3-4 - tells us that the Holy Spirit IS this ONE God


message 16: by Rod (new)

Rod I meet atheists everyday who have widely differing knowledge of Their truths. This stuff isn't difficult to explore and see who's breaking their own rules.


message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Rod wrote: "I meet atheists everyday who have widely differing knowledge of Their truths. This stuff isn't difficult to explore and see who's breaking their own rules."

It is easy to see...


message 18: by Rod (new)

Rod I'm at work Robert. Can you post the verse that has the Father talking to the Son as the Holy Spirit descends like a Dove. The Trinity in action.


message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Rod wrote: "I'm at work Robert. Can you post the verse that has the Father talking to the Son as the Holy Spirit descends like a Dove. The Trinity in action."

Sure Rod, here you go...

Luke 3:22 - "And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven , which said, Thou art my beloved Son ; in thee I am well pleased."


message 20: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins Rod wrote: "I'm at work Robert. Can you post the verse that has the Father talking to the Son as the Holy Spirit descends like a Dove. The Trinity in action."

😂😂😂


message 21: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins Logically (all of my thoughts are drenched in logic), the trinity makes no sense whatsoever and, in my opinion, is false propaganda made up by the Roman Catholic Church which probably originated from Constantine's Council of Nicaea (seeing that the majority of the MANY false doctrines in Christianity originated from there).
Shay Dawkins


message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "Logically (all of my thoughts are drenched in logic), the trinity makes no sense whatsoever..."

Imagine that! God is BEYOND your logic!

Hallelujah!



message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins Robert wrote: "Shay wrote: "Logically (all of my thoughts are drenched in logic), the trinity makes no sense whatsoever..."

Imagine that!
God is BEYOND your logic!

Hallelujah!
"


😂 In case you were unaware, one aspect of Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS." The other 3 aspects of this most important commandment was to love your heart (embrace everything about your life), love your soul (personality), and love your strength (MENTAL strength to overcome adversity).
Lastly, if you weren't aware, God dwells within. I can reference several verses referencing this fact as well, but you can just Google, "God dwells within verses," and check your search results.
Shay Dawkins


message 24: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "In case you were unaware, one aspect of Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS."..."

Of course you will QUOTE where Jesus says this in the Bible! :)


message 25: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins I figured with Seminary School you could recite it off the top of your head with you being a Biblical scholar. All good Robert. I've got your back. Now, remember God dwells within; you must keep this in mind to understand the true meaning of Jesus's most important commandments AKA "the true gospel."
Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Mark 12:28-31
28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
iSin: Upgrade to Life 2.0
Shay Dawkins


message 26: by Robert (last edited Jun 30, 2017 09:09AM) (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "I figured with Seminary School you could recite it off the top of your head with you being a Biblical scholar. All good Robert. I've got your back. Now, remember God dwells within; you must keep th..."

I never went to seminary.

Thanks for quoting the Bible.

Now please show me where God says the following (quotes from you...)
____________

Shay wrote: "Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS."..."

The verses you quoted DO NOT SAY THIS!
____________

Shay wrote: "The other 3 aspects of this most important commandment was to love your heart (embrace everything about your life), love your soul (personality), and love your strength (MENTAL strength to overcome adversity)..."

The verses you quoted DO NOT SAY THIS!
____________

It appears as though you hold your opinions as being the word of God... but, they are nothing more than your opinions.

Please QUOTE Scripture that says the things YOU have stated.


message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian The Higher Power I encountered in the Fall of 1992 showed Himself to me as the very essence of an eternal and unchanging Unconditional Love.


message 28: by Rod (new)

Rod There are conditions. If the Bible is correct (and it is).
Please expand on your comment. I'm curious.


message 29: by Shay (last edited Jun 30, 2017 01:33PM) (new)

Shay Dawkins Robert wrote: "Shay wrote: "I figured with Seminary School you could recite it off the top of your head with you being a Biblical scholar. All good Robert. I've got your back. Now, remember God dwells within; you..."

Are you that blind? I've already taken the time in my previous response to copy and paste 2 instances that the Bible clearly states what I said. I'm not wasting any more of my time with someone who can't see what I've clearly put in front of them; it's written there plain as day!
Shay Dawkins


message 30: by Rod (new)

Rod We really shouldn't love our minds. That's weird. Most people's barely work.


message 31: by Brian (new)

Brian Please expand on your comment. I'm curious."

Rod, since you ask, I will share what I have learned through my Relationship (my Faith) with Jesus. It was a Gift, but in order for me to be able to accept what Jesus gave me I had all of the beliefs I was taught since I was a child stripped away. In the painful vacuum of that loss I could experience His Unconditional Love as he intended. I do demand anyone else agree to or accept my witness; it is my Faith. I see that as different from what others understand because I am not the same as you or anyone else.


message 32: by Shay (last edited Jun 30, 2017 02:09PM) (new)

Shay Dawkins Rod wrote: "We really shouldn't love our minds. That's weird. Most people's barely work."

They tend to work better when they are used.


message 33: by Rod (new)

Rod Thanks for conversing Brian.

What exactly was stripped away? Catholicism? Darwinism? Secularism? Fundamentalism? Belief in Disney Princesses?

I'm slightly jealous - I haven't stripped anything away: just refined a few things. I had a good Mom.


message 34: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Shay wrote: "Logically (all of my thoughts are drenched in logic), the trinity makes no sense whatsoever and, in my opinion, is false propaganda made up by the Roman Catholic Church which probably originated fr..."

Quite agree


message 35: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Robert wrote: "Rod wrote: "The Trinity Is clearly shown. Over and over again. Some people are just desperate to reduce God to their human logic."

I agree!

Deu 6:4 - tells us there is ONE God
Jude 1:1 - tells us..."


None of your verses is from the Hebrew texts.

None of your verses says anything about a Trinity

Trinities were common in ancient times - when Christian-Jews were manufacturing their cult to suit Roman tastes, the foreign notion of the Jewish Yahweh as part of a trinity was invented (in my view)


message 36: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Robert wrote: "Rod wrote: "I'm at work Robert. Can you post the verse that has the Father talking to the Son as the Holy Spirit descends like a Dove. The Trinity in action."

Sure Rod, here you go...

Luke 3:22 -..."


Gods and angels and virgin-born god-men and talking animals and magic tricks with water ....

Only religious brainwashing can have an evolved human brain see this as reality.

Based on absolutely not a shred of anything more than cult propaganda.


message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "Are you that blind? I've already taken the time in my previous response to copy and paste 2 instances that the Bible clearly states what I said...."

My response: NOPE! Your OPINIONS say what you clearly said... NOT the Bible...

QUOTE the Bible... (which does NOT say remotely what you falsely claim!)


message 38: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS."..."

But Shay quoted this verse...

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: “‘ Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

____________

Shay wrote: "The other 3 aspects of this most important commandment was to love your heart (embrace everything about your life), love your soul (personality), and love your strength (MENTAL strength to overcome adversity)..."

But Shay quoted this verse...

Matthew 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
____________

Then Shay has the audacity to FALSELY claim he quoted the Bible!!!


message 39: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Stuart wrote: "None of your verses is from the Hebrew texts.

None of your verses says anything about a Trinity

Trinities were common in ancient times..."


My response: Thanks for your OPINIONS (even though they are completely FALSE and unsubstantiated.)


message 40: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins Robert wrote: "Shay wrote: "Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS."..."

But Shay quoted this verse...

Matthew ..."


Robert, are you "reading impaired" or are you just choosing to be lazy and not read? I thoroughly emphasized TWICE beforehand that "God" dwells WITHIN.

1 Cor 3:16
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit LIVES IN YOU?

Luke 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is WITHIN YOU!

This is the truth. Now, whether you are capable of hearing and seeing the truth is another story.
iSin: Upgrade To Life Version 2.0
Shay Dawkins


message 41: by Stuart (new)

Stuart When Christian-Jews were fabricating their Jesus cult, they adopted common themes - such as a Holy Trinity:

https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_...

http://www.trinitytruth.org/paganorig...


message 42: by Shay (new)

Shay Dawkins Stuart wrote: "When Christian-Jews were fabricating their Jesus cult, they adopted common themes - such as a Holy Trinity:

https://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools...-..."


🤔💡💪


message 43: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Shay wrote: "Robert, are you "reading impaired" or are you just choosing to be lazy and not read? I thoroughly emphasized TWICE beforehand that "God" dwells WITHIN."

My response: So what? That does NOT change the FACT that your alleged Bible QUOTES CANNOT be found in the Bible!
___________________________

Shay wrote: "Jesus's most important commandment was to LOVE YOUR MIND which in the original Hebrew translates to "LOVE YOUR LOGIC and REASONING SKILLS."..."

But Shay quoted this verse...

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: “‘ Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

____________

Shay wrote: "The other 3 aspects of this most important commandment was to love your heart (embrace everything about your life), love your soul (personality), and love your strength (MENTAL strength to overcome adversity)..."

But Shay quoted this verse...

Matthew 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
____________

Then Shay has the audacity to FALSELY claim he quoted the Bible!!!


message 44: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Boy In what regards the trinity, I disagree that it is a exclusively Christian concept. Many ancient peoples had a trinity, the Zoroastrians have (1) Ohrmazd, (2) Mitra and (3) Ahriman; the Hindus have (1) Brama, (2) Vixnu and (3) Shiva; the Egyptians represented the tripartite higher power through (1) Phta, (2) Kneph and (3) Neith; Gothics venerated (1) Odin, (2) Freyer and (3) Thor; etc.


message 45: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Johnny wrote: "In what regards the trinity, I disagree that it is a exclusively Christian concept. Many ancient peoples had a trinity, the Zoroastrians have (1) Ohrmazd, (2) Mitra and (3) Ahriman; the Hindus have..."

And all but the Goths pre-date Christianity.

Christian cult mythology is almost entirely a compilation of borrowings from original superstitions.


message 46: by Rod (new)

Rod Hilarious: just having 3 of something does not make it comparable to the Christian Trinity.

How many are a Father, Son AND Spirit. They all are very different.

You might want to study your mythology just a bit deeper than some internet scholar in His Mommy's basement.


message 47: by Rod (new)

Rod Remember: if you are going to use myths.... you must use ALL of them. Don't leave out the funny contradictory parts.


message 48: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Boy It's perspicuous that there is only one Christian trinity - that's why it's called the Christian trinity. I don't know if you, while inebriated by your grandiose delusions, noticed that I was talking about the concept of trinity, not the concept of Christian trinity.
Calm down and stop hyperventilating before replying, otherwise you'll just keep wasting everyone's time with your intellectual cacophony.


message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann Johnny wrote: "In what regards the trinity, I disagree that it is a exclusively Christian concept. Many ancient peoples had a trinity, the Zoroastrians have (1) Ohrmazd, (2) Mitra and (3) Ahriman; the Hindus have..."

NONE had a Trinity... please cite references to their belief in a trinity.


message 50: by Rod (new)

Rod I knew the "Mommy's basement" bit hit a sore spot. Typical internet atheist. But we can still have some fun.

Did Demons know of a Trinity before the Bible (or other pagan discombobulated myths) got penned? Possibly.
The interesting issue is that so many Christian sects and offshoots are still trying to undo it.


« previous 1 3
back to top

Members can create polls
widget

68984

Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club