Best Romanian Literature

A list of the best Romanian literature.
1

by
3.63 avg rating — 8,467 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
2

by
3.92 avg rating — 12,564 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
3

by
4.33 avg rating — 4,190 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
4

by
3.95 avg rating — 5,616 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
5

by
3.82 avg rating — 6,961 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
6

by
3.41 avg rating — 8,116 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
7

by
4.23 avg rating — 5,134 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
8

by
4.21 avg rating — 5,345 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
9

by
4.16 avg rating — 3,865 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
10

by
3.62 avg rating — 9,552 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
11

by
4.07 avg rating — 2,939 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
12

by
4.10 avg rating — 3,087 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
13

by
4.20 avg rating — 3,396 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
14

by
4.04 avg rating — 2,942 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
15

by
4.13 avg rating — 3,799 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
16

by
3.84 avg rating — 4,094 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
17

by
4.37 avg rating — 1,762 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
18

by
3.80 avg rating — 3,993 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
19

by
3.89 avg rating — 4,216 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
20

by
3.14 avg rating — 6,496 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
21

by
4.08 avg rating — 3,496 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
22

by
4.19 avg rating — 1,011 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
23

by
4.38 avg rating — 1,799 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
24

by
3.82 avg rating — 5,697 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
25

by
4.15 avg rating — 2,927 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
26

by
3.87 avg rating — 2,102 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
27

by
3.16 avg rating — 5,404 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
28

by
4.44 avg rating — 910 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
29

by
3.90 avg rating — 3,566 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
30

by
3.67 avg rating — 2,517 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
31

by
4.25 avg rating — 1,867 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
32

by
3.23 avg rating — 3,644 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
33

by
4.17 avg rating — 2,248 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
34

by
4.19 avg rating — 1,369 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
35

by
4.45 avg rating — 40 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
36

by
3.47 avg rating — 1,684 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
37

by
3.01 avg rating — 3,654 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
38

by
4.25 avg rating — 573 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
39

by
3.80 avg rating — 1,272 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
40

by
3.22 avg rating — 1,217 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
41

by
4.18 avg rating — 648 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
42

by
3.75 avg rating — 1,346 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
43

by
3.60 avg rating — 806 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
44

by
3.93 avg rating — 475 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
45

by
4.37 avg rating — 1,232 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
46

by
3.15 avg rating — 1,485 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
46

by
4.14 avg rating — 399 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
48

by
4.42 avg rating — 548 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
49

by
3.68 avg rating — 1,000 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
50

by
3.90 avg rating — 1,006 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
51

by
4.06 avg rating — 1,370 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
52

by
4.40 avg rating — 922 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
53

by
4.22 avg rating — 1,517 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
54

by
3.80 avg rating — 1,204 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
55

by
4.45 avg rating — 1,227 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
56

by
4.32 avg rating — 887 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
57

by
4.21 avg rating — 3,251 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
58

by
4.25 avg rating — 76 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
59

by
4.31 avg rating — 1,294 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
60

by
4.13 avg rating — 560 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
61

by
4.30 avg rating — 762 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
62

by
4.07 avg rating — 991 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
63

by
2.97 avg rating — 2,750 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
64

by
4.67 avg rating — 15 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
65

by
4.76 avg rating — 17 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
66

by
3.92 avg rating — 291 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
67

by
4.12 avg rating — 678 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
68

by
4.11 avg rating — 283 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
69

by
4.12 avg rating — 821 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
70

by
4.39 avg rating — 1,678 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
71

by
4.05 avg rating — 832 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
72

by
4.27 avg rating — 839 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
73

by
4.09 avg rating — 262 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
74

by
4.02 avg rating — 160 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
75

by
4.11 avg rating — 320 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
76

by
4.14 avg rating — 873 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
76

by
4.15 avg rating — 1,253 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
78

by
3.86 avg rating — 568 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
79

by
3.69 avg rating — 943 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
4.14 avg rating — 416 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
81

by
3.80 avg rating — 2,771 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
82

by
3.39 avg rating — 1,022 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
82

by
3.82 avg rating — 2,701 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
84

by
4.07 avg rating — 559 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
85

by
4.01 avg rating — 5,079 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
86

by
3.89 avg rating — 1,625 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
87

by
3.88 avg rating — 1,897 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
88

by
3.86 avg rating — 204 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
89

by
4.32 avg rating — 461 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
90

by
3.51 avg rating — 902 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
91

by
3.54 avg rating — 307 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
92

by
3.97 avg rating — 103 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
93

by
3.32 avg rating — 1,230 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
94

by
4.03 avg rating — 252 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
95

by
3.48 avg rating — 522 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
96

by
4.12 avg rating — 556 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
97

by
4.34 avg rating — 210 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
98

by
4.28 avg rating — 431 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
99

by
4.13 avg rating — 1,081 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
100

by
4.30 avg rating — 107 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
flag this list (?)
270 books · 390 voters · list created December 9th, 2010 by deleted user.
147 likes · 
Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes.


Nemesis 4051 books
96 friends
Vica 321 books
36 friends
Kitty_2oo6 223 books
37 friends
Aniela 745 books
345 friends
Dumitru 395 books
21 friends
Fireflydream 164 books
4 friends
Sorana 509 books
65 friends
Erich 473 books
9 friends

More voters…


Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

frumoasa colectie :)


message 2: by Seregil (new)

Seregil How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??


message 3: by Heathcliff (new)

Heathcliff If Bram Stoker is on this list, then we should add "The Castle of the Carpathians" as well. If it has on the cover something like: "translated by..." it doesn't belong here. Just saying.


message 4: by Raisa (new)

Raisa Nerv Seregil wrote: "How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??"

You shouldn't be so surprised by the mistake. Even though the book doesn't belong to the Romanian literature, the book is centred on a Romanian historical figure,which inspired the author, let alone the geographical context and many other aspects.


message 5: by Seregil (new)

Seregil Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??"

You shouldn't be so surprised by the mistake. Even though the book doesn't belong to the Romanian literature, the boo..."

I really don't agree with that. The main reason is that is has almost nothing in common with the historical reality. The second important reason is that when you talk about Romanian/American/French/... literature you don't include any novels written by foreign authors. The focus is entirely on what kind of novels the people of that country or the speakers of that language have produced.


message 6: by Raisa (new)

Raisa Nerv Seregil wrote: "Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??"

You shouldn't be so surprised by the mistake. Even though the book doesn't belong to the Romanian liter..."


You are 100% right. That is why I mentioned it was a mistake. The only thing I wanted to highlight in this matter was how the mistake took place. It is not right to add the book to this list, I agree,because there is someone else's merit and effort and the result of the author itself can't be categorised as being of Romanian literarture nature. Despite all that, we tend to be very proud of this book, but you don't have to interpret it as being something selfish. We have a great predisposition to arts in general, therefore our literature is, I dare to say, great. As a curiosity and proof of my statements, you can acknowledge that the longest and, in my opinion, most ingeniously written love poem in the world is Romanian, world-wide known as "The Evening Star".
P.S. I strongly recommend it, I'm almost sure you'll like it.


message 7: by Heathcliff (new)

Heathcliff Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??"

You shouldn't be so surprised by the mistake. Even though the book doesn't belong to th..."


Let's say I am a foreign author. I write a book in Romanian. Is it Romanian Lit? I don't think so. Let's say I'm a Romanian author. I write a book in French. Is it Romanian Lit? I think it is because of the author. Now, about "Dracula": Irish author, Irish book. And I really don't know if most Romanians are proud, as you say, of this book. And it really doesn't matter: it is not a piece of Romanian Literature. I understand the mistake, but it remains a mistake.


message 8: by Crina (new)

Crina Heathcliff wrote: "Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "Raisa wrote: "Seregil wrote: "How did "Dracula" make it on the "Romanian literature" list??"

You shouldn't be so surprised by the mistake. Even though the book doesn'..."


I do not think proud is a good word. I think most Romanians (myself included) are annoyed by the book because it presents lies about our history. I won`t even go on a rant about Tepes and where he ruled. If you write something that involves facts from history at least get the history part right.


message 9: by Heathcliff (new)

Heathcliff Crina wrote:

It's a work of fiction, don't be upset about it. It's not presented as a history book. But if you want to start a Tepes fan club I'll be the vice president.
I think "Dracula" is nothing compared with the german pamphlets published even in his lifetime(if I know the facts right)and shortly after his death.


message 10: by Crina (new)

Crina I know it is a work of fiction and I understand why he picked Tepes and the Carpathian Montains, I just find it a little annoyind. I love history in general and when someone takes some facts from it and twist them, it just irks me. And you are right. "Dracula" has nothing on the german pamphlets.


message 11: by Heathcliff (new)

Heathcliff Crina wrote: "I know it is a work of fiction and I understand why he picked Tepes and the Carpathian Montains, I just find it a little annoyind. I love history in general and when someone takes some facts from i..."
Let's say again that I write a book about a certain vampire named Henry VIII. He had several wives and he lived somewhere in England. His ancestor was Attila the Hun and he had superpowers like Batman. People from England will recognize the historical figure even if I add that he was green and had a house on Mars. I bet the feedback from England will be negative. Same story with our Tepes.(Name and nation picked at random; I love English history.)


message 12: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Bram Stoker's book was deleted from this list a long time ago.


message 13: by Edlira (new)

Edlira can i find any of these in english? (beside 'Dracula' of course, lol.


message 14: by Crina (new)

Crina Dracula isn`t a romanian book:P but no I don`t think you can find them in english. It is rather hard to translate romanian books or poetry in another language and plus there isn`t a requierment for them in other languages unfortunately.


message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Bowes Checked for duplicates: 13 books removed.

Mikhail Bulgakov, 'Black Snow' removed: Russian author.


message 16: by Booklovinglady (last edited Nov 11, 2016 11:59PM) (new)

Booklovinglady Edlira wrote: "can i find any of these in english? ..."

Herta Müller's work has been translated into English and so has Gregor von Rezzori's work.


message 17: by Booklovinglady (last edited Nov 12, 2016 12:01AM) (new)

Booklovinglady I've added two of Gregor von Rezzori's books. He was born in Czernowitz, the Bukovina, in the former Austria-Hungary monarchy. Chernowitz is now part of Ukraine, but it hasn't always been so and because of this shifting of borders I've added two of his books. Besides, Gregor von Rezzori was a Romanian citizen for a while because of all this.


message 18: by Gogu (new)

Gogu There are a lot of books in this list which are not part of Romanian literature. Romanian literature simply means literature written in Romanian and there are a lot of books here not originally written in Romanian. They might be written by authors born in Romania and/or (some) by authors who have also written in Romanian, but I think the following books do not belong to the list simply because they're not written in this language: 57, 83, 88, 91, 133, 134, 158, 163 (two of them - Florescu & Geran Pilon), 181, 192 (once again two with the same number - Florescu & Rezzori), 200 (Rezzori). Also, nr. 61 & 200 (Cioran - Pe culmile disperarii) is the same book.


message 19: by Booklovinglady (last edited May 12, 2017 09:15AM) (new)

Booklovinglady Gogu wrote: "Romanian literature simply means literature written in Romanian ..."

Hmmm.... See languages of Romania. But we can agree to disagree.


message 20: by Gogu (last edited May 12, 2017 10:24PM) (new)

Gogu Booklovinglady wrote: "Gogu wrote: "Romanian literature simply means literature written in Romanian ..."

Hmmm.... See languages of Romania. But we can agree to disagree."


Thank you for your reply. Of course we can agree to disagree :)

My point was the list should have a criterion (in the form it has now it certainly hasn't). My point was that the criterion of language is the only one that works as long as the list is called "Romanian literature" and not "literature from Romania" or "literature about Romania".
It is really very easy: H. Müller (excepting her poems from "Este sau nu este Ion"), G. von Rezzori or C.D. Florescu are not part of Romanian literature the same way as, say, Joseph Conrad is not part of Polish or Ukrainian literature. That doesn't mean they cannot appear in a list titled "literature by authors born in Romania"or "literature by authors who wrote books about Romania"
If the language criterion is not taken into account, then the list could very well comprise hundreds of Hungarian (and German) writers (who are born in Romania and who also may have written about Romania but NOT in Romanian). And that would mean the authors from the Republic of Moldova (Vieru, Dabija, etc.) should be deleted from the list because they might not be born in Romania or lived here and may not necessarily have written about Romania but the Soviet Union. I'm just trying to show how silly this would be.
I hope I did make myself more clear.

Later edit: Thought of another comparison, maybe it is even more clear: "The Luzhin defence" or "Mashenka" by Nabokov are Russian literature while "Ada" or "Pale fire" are English literature the same way as Ionescu's "Nu" is part of Romanian literature (criticism) but his plays are part of the French literature. It simply doesn't have anything to do with citizenship or the place somebody is born or his ethnicity. It is only about the language in which a certain work is written.


back to top




Anyone can add books to this list.