Worst Stephen King books

Sometimes he's just not at top form.
1

by
3.51 avg rating — 123,715 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
2

by
3.53 avg rating — 115,520 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
3

by
3.65 avg rating — 179,428 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
4

by
3.58 avg rating — 119,603 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
5

by
3.62 avg rating — 142,382 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
6

by
3.67 avg rating — 64,146 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
7

by
3.71 avg rating — 205,639 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
8

by
3.70 avg rating — 89,373 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
9

by
3.81 avg rating — 127,185 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
10

by
3.44 avg rating — 56,360 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
11

by
3.82 avg rating — 79,983 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
12

by
3.70 avg rating — 67,597 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
13

by
3.32 avg rating — 28,866 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
14

by
3.90 avg rating — 240,401 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
15

by
3.82 avg rating — 113,808 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
16

by
4.24 avg rating — 704,529 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
17

by
3.86 avg rating — 116,815 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
18

by
3.95 avg rating — 465,320 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
19

by
3.91 avg rating — 190,474 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
20

by
3.77 avg rating — 183,456 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
21

by
3.71 avg rating — 160,333 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
22

by
3.89 avg rating — 161,941 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
23

by
3.60 avg rating — 24,942 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
24

by
3.96 avg rating — 473,092 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
25

by
3.93 avg rating — 96,060 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
26

by
3.88 avg rating — 173,914 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
27

by
4.28 avg rating — 131,257 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
28

by
3.64 avg rating — 43,889 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
29

by
3.94 avg rating — 93,865 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
30

by
3.94 avg rating — 104,023 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
31

by
4.21 avg rating — 1,009,969 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
32

by
3.77 avg rating — 115,482 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
33

by
4.15 avg rating — 442,890 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
34

by
3.98 avg rating — 120,024 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
35

by
4.01 avg rating — 51,424 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
36

by
4.11 avg rating — 158,330 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
37

by
3.44 avg rating — 17,793 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
38

by
3.87 avg rating — 44,403 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
39

by
3.79 avg rating — 29,878 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
40

by
3.77 avg rating — 89,588 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
41

by
3.91 avg rating — 102,304 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
42

by
4.02 avg rating — 300,881 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
43

by
4.34 avg rating — 562,019 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
44

by
3.72 avg rating — 37,613 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
45

by
4.13 avg rating — 101,605 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
46

by
3.92 avg rating — 92,845 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
47

by
3.92 avg rating — 162,275 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
48

by
3.71 avg rating — 5,525 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
49

by
4.31 avg rating — 381,755 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
50

by
4.18 avg rating — 142,676 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
51

by
3.86 avg rating — 91,096 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
52

by
4.24 avg rating — 169,107 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
flag this list (?)
52 books · 445 voters · list created August 15th, 2008 by Tamara (votes) .
21 likes · 
Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes.


Tamara 4179 books
218 friends
Angel 874 books
43 friends
Dung Beetle 1062 books
58 friends
Megan 1200 books
33 friends
Sharon 142 books
1 friend
Steve 446 books
41 friends
Sara 1097 books
147 friends
Collette 1077 books
87 friends

More voters…


Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolaas (new)

Nicolaas Ok, I know that the King has had some misses with his big list of books and I agree with some on the list (still haven't finished Lisey's Story) but I disagree with a few nominees.

This is why:

Dreamcatcher might have had a lot of negative stuff but I still enjoyed it. The camaraderie between the main characters was cool and the insight into King's head after his accident was intriguing.

Hearts in Atlantis is regarded as one of his best books from a technical viewpoint, and has some wonderful and weird moments.

The Regulators might lack the depth of other novels but is a fun, quick read with loads of action!

Bag of Bones - a classic ghost story told by the King!

Desperation is a action packed book filled with horror as good fight evil and even has some great religious insights.

Christine is one of my all time favourites and I had such fun reading about it. Yes, its a bit wacky with a possessed car, but what a ride!

I loved Insomnia's insight into the afterlife and all the mysteries that surround it.

Rose Madder might not be a very typical King book, but you can't blame the guy for typecasting. Rose madder's intro is one of the most intense pages I've ever read!


message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky I found this webite by accident however after reading this list I HAD to put a comment. ome of the book I agree with however some the books on this list are a liviing example of lunacy just by being there. Classic such as Carrie and Christine I don't think should be there as well as desperation, insomnia, dreamcatcher for crying out loud. But the worst one is "IT". I have read a lot of horror books in my "young adult" life and seen every horror movie I could get my hands on (one of which was "IT" which has been a favorite since I was 4) and I have had one movie and one book in the past 18 years that has actually succeeded in giving me nightmares. The movie makes no nevermind however that book was "IT". Have the people that voted even read the book? To imagine everything you were ever scared of put in your face and used against you. No safe place, no running to mommy and everything was alright. There was no runnin and I loved it. I have to say that if "IT" has apparently been put on this list then I'm just waiting for the Dark Tower Series to be put on here as well. A lot of the reviews said they didn't like the endings of the books. Well, I'm only 21 but I understand that while the ending is important, the story is what quite frankly makes the story. So, read these books again, forget the ending, and try to look past the black and white text and see what is written underneath!


message 3: by Yassemin (last edited Nov 29, 2009 02:48AM) (new)

Yassemin I agree. IT SHOULD NOT be on the list...I guess the people that read it didnt have the intelligence to understand it, BUT it was a FANTASTIC book...no arguing with that.


message 4: by Fahad (new)

Fahad How come "Bag of Bones" is on the list!!


message 5: by Jc11king (last edited Jan 25, 2010 06:07PM) (new)

Jc11king "Cujo" is very underrated in my opinion

and "It" should not be on the list


message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler i think cujo is only on the list because it got sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring when king got off topic talking about cereal and poop.



message 7: by Tania (new)

Tania Did the people that voted even read the books?
Gerald's Game at #2?? It's one of the best book I've read and I will read it again and again.
More than half the books here are great.


message 8: by Sugar-Free (new)

Sugar-Free huh..? Insomnia was very first book I've read made by S.Kings... and since then I hunger for more .. well I guess people have different taste, depth and perception ....?


message 9: by Jessup (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:10PM) (new)

Jessup I liked Insomnia too. I agree that IT shouldn't be on the list. I kinda feel bad for voting for Carrie, but really it was pretty dry and boring in a lot of places. I HATED The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon...I'm mad that I lost precious time reading it and I'll never get it back!


message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy re. Cujo. I love when King goes off topic and starts talking about cereal. I think that that's what makes him such an interesting writer :) I also believe that that's why none of his books really translate well onto the screen - the internal dialog that he's so brilliant at can't ever really be included.


message 11: by Colene (new)

Colene Hardy Tyler wrote: "i think cujo is only on the list because it got sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring when king got off topic talking about cereal and poop.
"


I laughed for 10 minutes when I read your comment. I personally loved Cujo, but I agree. That part was boring.


message 12: by Colene (new)

Colene Hardy Stephen King was my first love, but I felt like he betrayed me after I read Needful Things and then Gerald's Game. I put him away for about 15 years and I have finally found him again. I am currently listening to Lisey's Story in my car. It's killing me to listen to this boring story right now. Something needs to happen already.

And I agree with the It lovers. That book was freakin' amazing. And the Shining is on this list?? Get out of town... Those were two of the books that made me fall in love.


message 13: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin Jessup wrote: "I liked Insomnia too. I agree that IT shouldn't be on the list. I kinda feel bad for voting for Carrie, but really it was pretty dry and boring in a lot of places. I HATED The Girl Who Loved Tom..."

I agreed with Carrie as well. Good premise but you can tell its an earlier book for sure.


message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G Before 2001, I had no reaction to the book Insomnia. After September 11, 2001, I tried to read the book again and couldn't get beyond the plane flying into a building and starting a fire.
I have no idea how other people feel about that day. My daughter's dad, my former husband, died in Tower 1. And I recently met a guy who worked in Tower 1, who was burned over 80% of his upper body. So my feelings about it are personal.


message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom Bensley The fact that IT is on this list shows that the list has no credibility.


message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G 'It' was too long, and most readers couldn't stay with it, b/c it fizzled out way before page 1000. And there were over 1,100 pages in the paperback edition of the book.
Who needs that much time to tell one story?
Nobody starts out writing being allowed that many pages to work with, and 'It' had even more pages than 'The Stand' which really was good. At least in some parts.
Most of what he writes, I refuse to ever read again. Actually I refuse to read ANYTHING he writes again, but I've broken that rule at least twice and have read two short stories since I made the promise to myself. But I've never BOUGHT anything he's written since then, b/c I refuse to finance him except in cases where it's unavoidable. Like when I bought 1408 b/c John Cusack's in it and The Langoliers b/c Bronson Pinchot's in it.
There was a story in Just After Sunset, which I bought my sister for Christmas (another modified exception I guess) that was actually good, but that's b/c there was no evidence of that thing he does that I don't like in the story. There were practically no judgments in it. Except at the very beginning, when the character's wife tells him he doesn't see what's right in front of him, but I could handle it for some reason.
Anything else is strictly a no-go with me. I don't read stories for judgments. I can go to work if I want a judgment. I purposely try to make my entertainment enjoyable. Incidentally that's why I can hardly read about murders anymore.
Because of the work I do in Emergency Medicine, I feel like I absolutely have to have enjoyable entertainment.


message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Bensley Vicki wrote: "'It' was too long, and most readers couldn't stay with it, b/c it fizzled out way before page 1000. And there were over 1,100 pages in the paperback edition of the book.
Who needs that much time to..."


Fair enough Vikki. I feel that IT is not just a horror story just another book King is known for, but a beautiful account of kids lives and how their friendships affect them throughout. I didn't care that it didn't really get going until the end because I could've happily read about the seven kids lives for two thousand pages.
What do you mean by "Nobody starts out writing being allowed that many pages to work with"? This confuses me. A writer can work with as many pages as they want, can't they?


message 18: by Montana (new)

Montana Fleming Thom wrote: "The fact that IT is on this list shows that the list has no credibility."

100%. I can't agree with this list at all.


message 19: by Tima (new)

Tima I think that everyone posting negative comments about other people's intelligence are forgetting that some book choices are just personal preference; just because you think it may be the "best book ever" doesn't mean those who disagree with you are incompetent ;)


message 20: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Collins The Cell was the most exciting King book I've ever read!!!!


message 21: by Arden (new)

Arden i just read the girl who loved tom gordon and i loved it! maybe im not the biggeest stephen king fan and maybe thats the first book i read by him but...............thats besided the point! that book doesnt deserve to be on htis list! there got my ranting out XD


message 22: by Magic (new)

Magic Why is "The Shining" on here? It is Stephen Kings best book!


message 23: by David (new)

David jones How can Under The Dome be on the list? To me, that is the best book he has ever written so far (Haven't read IT or The Stand yet) And The Shining? Come one. One of the best books behind Under The dome that I have even ever read.


message 24: by Calvin (new)

Calvin I think most of us are in agreements that this list isn't up to par. And from everyone's points of view that I have read on here, and through other sites on their opinion of the 'Best/Worst book by him', it really differs.


message 25: by Andreea (new)

Andreea Cell is an amazing book. I may be the only one, but i think Salem's Lot, The Shining and Cell are his best books. Dolores Clairborne is the worst. Gerald's Game is 10 times better than this.


message 26: by Jared (new)

Jared Nicolaas wrote: "Ok, I know that the King has had some misses with his big list of books and I agree with some on the list (still haven't finished Lisey's Story) but I disagree with a few nominees.

This is why:

D..."

Rose Madder, Gerald's Game, Desperation, and Dreamcatchers are among my all-time favorites. I don't know what's happening here >.>


message 27: by Venkat (last edited Jun 23, 2013 10:17PM) (new)

Venkat Satya Stephen King Is Best and always will be.Don't Dare Call Him Worst.


message 28: by Dana (new)

Dana Salman What? I loved Needful Things! And IT shouldn't even be on this list (although guess for people who haven't read The Dark Tower the ending was a bit weird. Same for Insomnia)


message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana Salman Tom wrote: "I feel that IT is not just a horror story just another book King is known for, but a beautiful account of kids lives and how their friendships affect them throughout. I didn't care that it didn't really get going until the end because I could've happily read about the seven kids lives for two thousand pages...."

My sentiments exactly. I almost didn't even care about the horror part of the story because I just loved watching these kids together so much. Reading those 1000+ pages was a breeze.


message 30: by Mike (new)

Mike Marsbergen There are some really great books on this list. Still need to read quite a few, however... I'm looking forward to them all.


message 31: by Joe (last edited Apr 27, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Joe Very disappointed to see that most of my favourite Stephen King books are up here!
Hearts in Atlantis and Under the Dome in particular.

And I can't believe that Gerald's Game has been voted the worst. Wow... That one terrified me and gripped me till the very end. Likewise with Thinner. Bag of Bones was interesting. Enchanting, almost.

Anyway, I vote for Carrie and Dreamcatcher.
The former is just very dull, while the latter is a mess. Plain and simple.


message 32: by Bhaskar (new)

Bhaskar Maji What the hell are books like The Shining, IT, Carrie, Cujo doing in this list?

Some coke-snorting Stephen King hater made this list?


message 33: by Andreea (new)

Andreea CELL is amazing! Can't believe it's 3th placed.


message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda This list hurts my heart. So many of my favorites are on it!


message 35: by Shadowjac (new)

Shadowjac Bhaskar wrote: "What the hell are books like The Shining, IT, Carrie, Cujo doing in this list?

Some coke-snorting Stephen King hater made this list?"


I couldn't get past the car scene in Cujo...


message 36: by megs_bookrack (last edited Jan 19, 2016 03:59AM) (new)

megs_bookrack This list is terrible. So many of these books are amazingly creative and well written. The Stand? Really? On a worst book list. My heartaches that this list even exists. Cell? Bag of Bones? The Shining? I just can't even.


message 37: by Annette (new)

Annette This list is ridiculous.


message 38: by Christy (new)

Christy Annette wrote: "This list is ridiculous."

Agreed! I looked at this and the only thought WTF.


message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager The ones I've readfour) have ranged from pretty good to good enough, so no votes from me.


message 40: by Alan (new)

Alan Braswell Stephen King has stated that Dream Catchers and Tommy Knockers were two of the worst books he has written.

Cheesy dialogue in Cell adds to a badly written novel.


message 41: by JohnNY (new)

JohnNY why isnt the stand the shining on here, i liked them books but nota as much as "it" i didnt like roadwork but i love long walks


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I may be in the minority here but I enjoyed "from a buick 8"


message 43: by Kübra (new)

Kübra I dont know. My favourite books are in there too. And i disappointed for this list. In my opinion before putting these books such a list, it should be considered twice or why it is put here. Because thousands of people read here and affect it. You cannot like these books but it is subjective.


message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager I haven't read that many, especially compared to some readers. They all seem to be about the same to me. Not bad ... not good ... the only one that stands out to me as being BETTER than the rest is "The Stand." "Everything's Eventual" is pretty good too, but it's only short stories(no horror).


message 45: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay I'm guessing the people who voted for "IT" are doing so because of *that* scene. You know, the one that didn't make it into the movie, thankfully.


message 46: by Bhaskar (new)

Bhaskar Maji Lindsay wrote: "I'm guessing the people who voted for "IT" are doing so because of *that* scene. You know, the one that didn't make it into the movie, thankfully."

"Art is not a democracy." He had every right to write that scene.


message 47: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Bhaskar wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I'm guessing the people who voted for "IT" are doing so because of *that* scene. You know, the one that didn't make it into the movie, thankfully."

"Art is not a democracy." He had every right to write that scene."


Certainly he did. I never said that he didn't. But I also have the right to say that the scene was gross, painful to read, added nothing to the story, and detracted a lot from its quality.


back to top