,

Anticipated Literary Reads for Readers of Color 2013

List of 2013 books that will appeal to literary readers of color.
1

by
4.06 avg rating — 339,188 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
2

by
4.31 avg rating — 327,034 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
3

by
3.50 avg rating — 38,384 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
4

by
3.98 avg rating — 3,226 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
5

by
3.84 avg rating — 1,081 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
6

by
3.77 avg rating — 59,883 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
7

by
3.84 avg rating — 10,909 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
8

by
4.03 avg rating — 101,166 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
9

by
3.81 avg rating — 303 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
10

by
4.09 avg rating — 5,590 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
11

by
3.86 avg rating — 90,263 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
12

by
4.20 avg rating — 23,225 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
13

by
4.25 avg rating — 40 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
14

by
3.97 avg rating — 404,091 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
15

by
4.08 avg rating — 3,113 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
16

by
3.74 avg rating — 19,660 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
17

by
2.90 avg rating — 1,096 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
18

by
3.83 avg rating — 34,742 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
19

by
3.86 avg rating — 26,630 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
20

by
3.98 avg rating — 12,146 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
21

by
3.47 avg rating — 3,242 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
22

by
3.57 avg rating — 373 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
23

by
4.04 avg rating — 3,574 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
24

by
3.67 avg rating — 9,973 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
25

by
3.74 avg rating — 1,533 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
25

by
3.30 avg rating — 996 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
27

by
3.80 avg rating — 28,725 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
28

by
3.71 avg rating — 5,031 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
29

by
3.99 avg rating — 14,524 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
30

by
4.14 avg rating — 70 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
31

by
3.94 avg rating — 298 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
32

by
3.96 avg rating — 961 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
33

by
3.62 avg rating — 120 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
34

by
4.03 avg rating — 1,532 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
35

by
4.06 avg rating — 30,996 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
36

by
4.19 avg rating — 108,871 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
37

by
3.97 avg rating — 68,773 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
38

by
3.57 avg rating — 1,951 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
39

by
4.01 avg rating — 1,169 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
40

by
3.81 avg rating — 20,758 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
41

by
3.93 avg rating — 1,651 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
42

by
4.01 avg rating — 32,896 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
43

by
3.29 avg rating — 222 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
44

by
4.32 avg rating — 134,999 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
45

by
4.20 avg rating — 35 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
46

by
3.89 avg rating — 28,886 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
47

by
2.59 avg rating — 17 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
48

by
3.87 avg rating — 697 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
48

by
3.61 avg rating — 502 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
50

by
3.83 avg rating — 5,707 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
51

by
3.77 avg rating — 1,784 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
52

by
3.47 avg rating — 4,323 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
53

by
4.05 avg rating — 357,525 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
54

by
3.56 avg rating — 127 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
55

by
3.76 avg rating — 310 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
56

by
3.92 avg rating — 484 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
57

by
3.65 avg rating — 1,283 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
58

by
3.37 avg rating — 322 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
59

by
3.61 avg rating — 76 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
60

by
3.93 avg rating — 561 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
61

by
3.40 avg rating — 608 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
62

by
3.84 avg rating — 965 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
63

by
2.89 avg rating — 88 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
64

by
3.77 avg rating — 484 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
65

by
3.99 avg rating — 1,209 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
66

by
3.99 avg rating — 37,752 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
67

by
4.31 avg rating — 93 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
68

by
4.44 avg rating — 102 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
69

by
3.73 avg rating — 3,913 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
70

by
3.60 avg rating — 4,580 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
71

by
4.82 avg rating — 45 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
72

by
3.78 avg rating — 902 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
73

by
3.79 avg rating — 307 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
74

by
3.71 avg rating — 490 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
75

by
3.57 avg rating — 7 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
76

by
3.41 avg rating — 170 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
77

by
3.58 avg rating — 4,658 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
77

by
3.54 avg rating — 978 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
79

by
3.79 avg rating — 1,492 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
4.29 avg rating — 34 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.83 avg rating — 42 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.54 avg rating — 1,302 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.26 avg rating — 39 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.86 avg rating — 7 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
4.02 avg rating — 50 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.71 avg rating — 6,109 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.93 avg rating — 116 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
3.97 avg rating — 128 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
80

by
4.43 avg rating — 87,233 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
90

by
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 73,366 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
91

by
4.50 avg rating — 36 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
91

by
4.46 avg rating — 35,714 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
93

by
3.43 avg rating — 14 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
94

by
3.52 avg rating — 1,262 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
95

by
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 19,324 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
96

by
3.86 avg rating — 386 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
97

by
3.18 avg rating — 119 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
98

by
4.24 avg rating — 269 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
99

by
4.19 avg rating — 32 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
100

by
3.63 avg rating — 46 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
196 books · 547 voters · list created November 22nd, 2012 by Beverly (votes) .
221 likes · 
Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes.


Beverly 6055 books
270 friends
Katrina 1306 books
342 friends
Nioke 1495 books
64 friends
altough2008 3744 books
52 friends
David 113 books
123 friends
Crystalmcghee 91 books
1 friend
Grove Atlantic 611 books
185 friends
Takila 453 books
1 friend

More voters…


Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashani (new)

Ashani I want to read all... !!!


message 2: by Veronika (new)

Veronika Wow! Never saw a list like this on Goodreads! Amazing! I will definitely be adding some of these books to my to read list!


message 3: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl Excellent list Ms. Beverly!


message 4: by Brianna (new)

Brianna I definitely just added a majority of them to my THE list. I do agree with Veronika on never seeing such an amazing list of recommendations.

Love it!!!


message 5: by Nora (new)

Nora The fact this exists as titled is vaguely insulting to our intelligence as people. "People of color" (what does that even mean?) will like these books because they feature someone's idea of racial diversity? Diversity is not based on the color of your skin, but on the experiences that color your life. The idea that these books should appeal to a group based on race or ethnic origins is ridiculousness. Just because I am a 23-year-old white girl books about young adult white women will automatically appeal to me? No, I don't think so, I normally find them a bit vapid.

I thought maybe the literary community was past this type of thing. I guess I'm wrong.


message 6: by Mocha Girl (last edited Mar 06, 2013 04:41PM) (new)

Mocha Girl Nora wrote: "The fact this exists as titled is vaguely insulting to our intelligence as people. "People of color" (what does that even mean?) will like these books because they feature someone's idea of racial ..."

Your assumption is this is a list that would appeal (exclusively) to readers who are non-European (i.e. of Color). Perhaps you're reading the title wrong - "Readers of Color" could imply that the reader (regardless of their race, color, or ethnicity) might have an interest or want to read books that focus on non-European subject matter, content, etc.?

Stop being so presumptuous. There is nothing insulting about this list; nor is it ridiculous to think that maybe someone might want to read a "literary" novel by, for, about, featuring a non-European/non-White culture, experience, point of view, or setting, etc.

Personally, I thought this list was a goldmine because it saved me hours of tedious research to compose something similar (and I'm sure my list wouldn't have been as comprehensive) - so a heartfelt "thank you" goes to the person who researched and opted to share this list!

There are many readers out there who are looking for specific genre niches - and this list apparently has the attention and supports the interest of a certain segment. GoodReads is vast and varied -- if it doesn't appeal to your reading tastes, then simply move on or create your own list.


message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Mocha Girl wrote: "Nora wrote: "The fact this exists as titled is vaguely insulting to our intelligence as people. "People of color" (what does that even mean?) will like these books because they feature someone's id..."

Thanks very much for your well-written response.


message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth "Books that will appeal to literary readers of color"? What does that even mean? Do we know what appeals to "readers of color"? Does that include minorities or people with spunky personalities? Or does it mean, these books are appealing only if you're looking to read "of color"? Isn't the act of reading inherently associated with the word "literary"? My brain hurts. Terrible choice of words.


message 9: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl Elizabeth wrote: ""Books that will appeal to literary readers of color"? What does that even mean? Do we know what appeals to "readers of color"? Does that include minorities or people with spunky personalities? ..."

Hmm...so now it's choosing to attack the list's title, play on words, challenge definitions, question phrases, etc. instead of focusing on or appreciating the list's content?

If it's so difficult to comprehend, then maybe it's not for you...just yet. Take an Excedrin for the headache and move on.


message 10: by Yasmin (last edited Mar 06, 2013 03:41PM) (new)

Yasmin Wow, where are some of these folks coming from?!?! Seriously are folks getting upset and in arms just because of what someone titled their book list?!? I might have 99 problems on any given day, but the title of someone's PERSONAL BOOKLIST IS NOT one of them. Personally, I like the title. It piqued my interest...additionally, I'm always looking for books by and about people of color. BTW, did I mention that I'm an African-American, middle-aged, professional/career minded female who doesn't mind being called a person of color (because I am) and who enjoys reading books about people of color...but this doesn't mean that I don't read books by white authors. Actually, if you reviewed my reading list you would note that most of the books I've read recently,and even in the last year, have been by white authors. But, I also want to read about folks that look like me and those who understand my plight...because they've had similar experiences...because truth being a person of color...whether you're black, brown, yellow or red ain't no easy walk in the park no matter what country you originate from. But, more importantly for me, I want to read books about my people, because a group who doesn't know there history is bound to have history repect for them...and lawd knows I ain't trying to go back to pre-Civil Rights Movement. Heck living in America in the 21st Century is challenging enough! Phyllis I agree with everything you've said and add...every book isn't for every body and every list isn't for every body. But, there's a book and list out there for some body. Some folks might need to keep it moving and find that PERFECT list that appeals to them. In the meantime, I'm taking notes as there are quite a few books on this list that I want to learn more about it. Keep em coming Ms. Bev.


message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth LOL! Don't take it personal. Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean it's an attack nor does it mean that it's an insult. You're probably right. This list may not be for me. I've been told I'm not Black enough. :) Also, my background is engineering and science, so maybe I'm not "literary" enough either. :)


message 12: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin "There are many readers out there who are looking for specific genre niches - and this list apparently has the attention and supports the interest of a certain segment. GoodReads is vast and varied -- if it doesn't appeal to your reading tastes, then simply move on or create your own list." Well said Phyllis and my sentiments exactly. Additionally, I don't think we owe anyone an apology or explanation for what we enjoy reading. Maybe some folks need to read a few books from this list to better understand folks who don't look like them.


message 13: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin For those who found the list title offensive then they will probably find this group offensive as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...


message 14: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl Elizabeth wrote: "LOL! Don't take it personal. Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean it's an attack nor does it mean that it's an insult. You're probably right. This list may not be for me. I've been..."

It's not personal...and I'm an AA/Black, female with a formal undergraduate degree in engineering, MBA, and Master's in IT ...so again....agreed...it's not for everyone.


message 15: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Elizabeth wrote: "LOL! Don't take it personal. Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean it's an attack nor does it mean that it's an insult. You're probably right. This list may not be for me. I've been..."
Elizabeth you're going down a slippery slope saying you're not black enough or that your background is engineering and science. I think you've probably met your match with some of us over here...because some of us have been told we're not black enough...additionally one of us is an engineer (and a dayum good one might I add), another one is a programmer and another is a CPA. It's not personal unless you make it and LOL right backatcha.


message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Yasmin wrote: "For those who found the list title offensive then they will probably find this group offensive as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3..."

I think 'readers of color' implies something very different than 'people of color', but it's just my opinion. I don't think anyone is requiring an apology or explanation for personal reading choices. A few people expressed their opinion in support of the list. A few people expressed their opinion in opposition. The ability to do that is what America is supposed to be.


message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Yasmin wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "LOL! Don't take it personal. Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't mean it's an attack nor does it mean that it's an insult. You're probably right. This list may not be ..."

Perhaps, but I'm not challenging your opinion. You are entitled to that, as I am entitled to mine. I don't apologize for my belief that "readers of color" is a poor choice of words.


message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Elizabeth wrote: "Yasmin wrote: "For those who found the list title offensive then they will probably find this group offensive as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3..."
..."


I started this list and I named it what I wanted as this list is for me and other like minded readers. Other like-minded readers understood the list as they added titles to the list (and I am apprective of their additions).
As the saying goes - "Every book is not for every body, but every book is for somebody"

And thus - Every list is not for every body but every list is for somebody.

If the list helped some readers find some book that meet their criteria then the list serves the purpose I intended.


message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Beverly wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Yasmin wrote: "For those who found the list title offensive then they will probably find this group offensive as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3......"

Agreed!!! And I appreciate the civility of your response.


message 20: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Beverly wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Yasmin wrote: "For those who found the list title offensive then they will probably find this group offensive as well: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3......"

Hear, hear!


message 21: by Dera (new)

Dera Nora wrote: "The fact this exists as titled is vaguely insulting to our intelligence as people. "People of color" (what does that even mean?) will like these books because they feature someone's idea of racial ..."


So who asked you what you thought? If you don't like the list, ignore it.


message 22: by Addy (last edited Mar 09, 2013 06:57AM) (new)

Addy Wow, I come back to add another book to the list and this is what happens?

I've have added a good chunk of the African descended authors on this list and I find these attacks misguided. I worked HARD to find these books and I didn't add them because I subscribe to the idea that POC would want to read these books simply because they are by POC. I added these books because I saw list after list on media blogs ran by whites on anticipated 2013 reads that featured a handful of black authors. I wanted to show that blacks write interesting literature too!

To Elizabeth, clearly this list is not for you and instead of bashing this list, which is only to showcase authors often shutout of media attention, why not start your own? I'm a black female web/mobile developer and designer student with an interest in robotics, programming, ui, and ux if it means anything.

To everyone else, your welcome! I hope everyone finds a book that appeals to them. If I find any more books, I'll add them to the list!


message 23: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Roberts I too was offended by the title. It's 'colour' not 'color'.


message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa My first day on this site and I am addicted to it already, thanks for the fun! I read several books a week and am looking forward to finding them here!


message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa THese are some of my FAVORITE authors and can't wait to read them!


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

This is such a great list! Thank you so much! :)


message 27: by Bunnie (new)

Bunnie O'hara everyone--ENOUGH OF THIS--we are readers who enjoy a good book-doesn't matter if you are black or purple or white--those of us that read are priviledged to be living in this country with the ability to get any book we want and the freedom to read it--GET OVER IT!


message 28: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Shabazz Good list. Great books. For those who appreciate it as I do, lets keep it going!


message 29: by Ian (new)

Ian Great list and great books and interesting debate about the title. Apologies for re-opening this but I've just stumbled into this because a friend has just recommended a book on the list.....but what would be the reaction if a list was set up called "Anticipated Literary Reads for White Readers 2013." Would that be considered acceptable or would cries of racism go up? The title of the list didn't offend me but I felt a little uncomfortable. As a disabled, white British man who loathes racism and discrimination in all its forms, I'd be interested to know what people's feelings are on this.


message 30: by Antonomasia (last edited Aug 06, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

Antonomasia Does the list owner or anyone want a librarian to remove books that don't fit the category - e.g. Jonathan Safran Foer (not even a remotely new book) - or Tracy Chevalier?


Ian, I think the point is that the majority of literary fiction is still about white middle class characters and their concerns and that it's not as easy, beyond a few highly promoted books, to track down stuff that isn't. (Finding books by and/or about people from different backgrounds also makes reading less samey.)

Post-colonial writing has been well thought of for a long time in the UK and perhaps isn't seen as something mostly for readers from those backgrounds, whereas in the US I get the impression of a greater divide. The recent Granta Best Young British Novelists and Booker longlist show that these writers are perhaps more eagerly accepted as part of the establishment here. But such coverage does still focus on a fairly small number of writers - and those who aren't from Africa, India or Pakistan perhaps continue to get overlooked here. Writing by black british men (as opposed to women) also isn't something you see mentioned much in the media here.

It's a question of to what extent a group is treated as a minority in the public sphere. It would be in my view equally acceptable to make lists of books that may be of particular interest to men and to women (though gender stereotyped novels are not a personal interest of mine). Speaking myself as someone with long-term health problems - saying so you understand I'm not simply being belligerent - what would you think of a list of "books of interest to able-bodied people"?
Nearly all books are by default anyway, and quite frankly you'd hope plenty of literary readers would be interested in a well-written book about a protagonist with a disability regardless of their own circumstances. Books featuring non-elderly main characters with physical disabilities aren't all that common and so you can probably understand why a listing of those would be interesting.


message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Antonomasia wrote: "Does the list owner or anyone want a librarian to remove books that don't fit the category - e.g. Jonathan Safran Foer (not even a remotely new book) - or Tracy Chevalier?


Ian, I think the point ..."


Ta for studied response Antonomasia. Agree wholeheartedly with pretty much all you say, though I still have a problem with groups or lists that imply inclusion and therefore also exclusion on the basis of reader type rather than subject matter.


message 32: by Antonomasia (last edited Aug 09, 2013 03:49PM) (new)

Antonomasia though I still have a problem with groups or lists that imply inclusion and therefore also exclusion on the basis of reader type rather than subject matter.
Well, I for one have no disagreement whatsoever with your view on that.

Though it's a tendency I barely bother to argue with, being inured to all manner of cultural stuff labelled or marketed "for women" - much of which is of little or no interest to me, though its sales figures and popularity often cannot be denied.

The term "people of colour" is interesting - it's still not one I've heard a lot over here, and which I've heard more objections to than anything.
e.g.
A friend who considers it bad enough having it assumed that she has certain interests and experiences on account of being a woman from a Pakistani background - or someone who is frustrated that there is considered to be a "community" of a particular ethnicity (as used in news reports) which has a uniform set of opinions ... then assumptions are widened again by lumping in people from completely different backgrounds in a term like this one.
A white friend also thought it a questionable term because it seems to imply white as some sort of default or at the least still fundamentally separate - implicitly setting up barriers where many would prefer them to break down further. I really haven't got enough experience or insight on the matter to have much of an opinion of my own but do have a natural sympathy with contrarian tendencies of friends like these.


message 33: by The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (last edited Oct 13, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears Thank you for the massive amounts of work it took to compile this list. I've found some gems that without this resource I would have never known about.

Of course there will always be those who enjoy derailing any topic or invading any space that PoC create for themselves, screaming about "inclusion" as they ignore the fact that the mainstream publishing industry has serious issues with race, from ignoring writers of color to whitewashing covers. Not to say that everyone who may express curiosity as to why such a list is asking the question out of sense of their own entitlement. Some are genuinely interested in dialogue.

As a lifelong bibliophile, most of the books I have read and loved are either penned by or about Caucasian characters. But like everything else in my life, I love diversity. I want to read books about other cultures, be they fiction or non-fiction.

I am going to answer that one oft-used derailing question about a "white reading list" that should put an end to the straw man argument once and for all. Hang onto your hats everyone: Yes, there would and should be a hue and cry against something like that because there's a huge power differential between cultural pride and racism. A difference that many Caucasians fail to understand. White pride comes with racial baggage, and it's a baggage many are loathe to deal with, but expect PoC to do so. Everyone should be proud of their culture, true, but when that pride has a long and ugly history of oppressing others (which continues to this day in varying forms), that becomes problematic. We see that in debates over the Confederate flag.

By the way, I'd personally like to see more fantasy/speculative fiction works on this list, but that's just me *grin*.


message 34: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl Looking forward to the 2014 list!


message 35: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Thanks to everyone who enjoyed and/or contributed to this list. I have once again started a list for 2014.

The new list is:
Anticipated Literary Reads for Readers of Color 2014.

More books will be added to the list me and others become aware of other books publishing in 2014.


message 36: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl Thank you for pulling this together! It is very helpful and greatly appreciated!!


The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears Keep up the good work and ignore the naysayers.


message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Awesome list !!


message 39: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Thank you for the list, it is highly informative and makes it that much easier for me to consider which books to read.


message 40: by Serina (last edited Feb 05, 2014 06:56AM) (new)

Serina thank you also for the list. I am trying to find ethnic books for this book club I'm a part of. Simply because I'm mixed, and most of the young people I see in schools are mixed. If you look at libraries, they actually have stickers to show to be for Adrian American people. That's because there's not a lot. Fewer still for those of Spanish or Asian decent. I didn't realize that until I started looking specifically for that style a book. So some people who have never tried to be diverse in their reading may not realize what a challenge it is. (Personally would have said "ethnic" books since that takes race out of the equation, but I completly understood what you meant and wasn't offended by the non pc title. It doesn't take a genius to get that you're just trying to bring some culture in. Thank-you again.


message 41: by BookLovingLady (last edited Apr 09, 2019 12:21AM) (new)

BookLovingLady I've removed Purple Hibiscus as it did not fit the this list, unfortunately (Anticipated Literary Reads for Readers of Color 2013 - List of 2013 books that will appeal to literary readers of color)


back to top



Related News

Readers with adventurous frontal lobes will be happy in July—this month’s batch of new books features some particularly bold ideas and...

Anyone can add books to this list.