Forthcoming Books for 2019 by African-Americans

The adult literary list for books scheduled for US publication in 2019 for those that seek to read stories from a african-american point of view. African-Americans only please. No hood lit, urban lit, erotica, chick lit, ebooks, or self-published. Novels, short stories, and poetry only. English titles only.

Don't forget to vote, like, and share the list!

Other Years:
2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012
1

by
3.65 avg rating — 3,987 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
2

by
3.52 avg rating — 22,404 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
3

by
4.25 avg rating — 170,310 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
4

by
3.64 avg rating — 16,611 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
5

by
4.65 avg rating — 1,244 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
6

by
4.07 avg rating — 83,957 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
7

by
4.55 avg rating — 1,613 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
8

by
3.80 avg rating — 18,732 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
9

by
4.28 avg rating — 5,562 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
10

by
3.88 avg rating — 1,782 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
11

by
4.33 avg rating — 2,197 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
12

by
2.91 avg rating — 2,897 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
13

by
3.79 avg rating — 6,619 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
14

by
3.58 avg rating — 370 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
15

by
4.01 avg rating — 56,146 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
16

by
3.58 avg rating — 354 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
16

by
3.80 avg rating — 4,956 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
18

by
3.75 avg rating — 102 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
19

by
4.14 avg rating — 607 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
20

by
3.22 avg rating — 911 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
21

by
4.21 avg rating — 297 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
22

by
4.61 avg rating — 46 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
23

by
3.50 avg rating — 349 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
24

by
3.65 avg rating — 2,556 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
25

by
3.28 avg rating — 1,149 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
26

by
3.91 avg rating — 5,207 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
27

by
2.83 avg rating — 12 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
28

by
4.03 avg rating — 624 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
29

by
4.25 avg rating — 4 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
30

by
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 1 rating
Rate this book
Clear rating
31

by
4.14 avg rating — 21 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
32

by
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 1 rating
Rate this book
Clear rating
33

by
3.78 avg rating — 922 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
34

by
3.56 avg rating — 457 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
35

by
4.69 avg rating — 13 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
36

by
3.78 avg rating — 1,358 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
37

by
3.88 avg rating — 90 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
38

by
3.89 avg rating — 46 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
39

by
3.69 avg rating — 643 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
40

by
4.20 avg rating — 337 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
41

by
3.89 avg rating — 18 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
42

by
4.13 avg rating — 166 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
43

by
3.50 avg rating — 2 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
44

by
4.19 avg rating — 74 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
45

by
4.42 avg rating — 53 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
46

by
3.77 avg rating — 3,010 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
47

by
4.16 avg rating — 25 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
48

by
4.67 avg rating — 27 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
49

by
it was amazing 5.00 avg rating — 4 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
50

by
4.75 avg rating — 16 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
51

by
liked it 3.00 avg rating — 63 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
52

by
4.25 avg rating — 8 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
53

by
4.62 avg rating — 21 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
54

by
4.62 avg rating — 37 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
55

by
4.38 avg rating — 1,342 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
56

by
really liked it 4.00 avg rating — 30 ratings
Rate this book
Clear rating
flag this list (?)
46 likes · 
Lists are re-scored approximately every 5 minutes.


Addy 1865 books
67 friends
Martha 1655 books
220 friends
Beverly 5708 books
266 friends
Lauren 1800 books
68 friends
MELISSIA 8128 books
114 friends
Lynecia 2371 books
410 friends
Kara 47351 books
621 friends
Ale 993 books
2 friends

More voters…


Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Addy (new)

Addy The Lesson by Cadwell Turnbull has been removed because the author is not African-American. I found an interview from Nightmare magazine:
"I grew up in the Caribbean. My family is from the Caribbean. It is home for me. It will always feel like home. I find that even in memory I know it more intimately than anywhere else I’ve been. "
http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/non...

Thanks, but this list is for African-American authors only.


message 2: by Addy (new)

Addy The World Doesn't Require You: Stories by Rion Amilcar Scott has been removed because the author is not African-American. From the washingtonian:
"my parents are immigrants from a very unique island in the Caribbean."
https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/05...

Thanks but this list is for African-Americans.


message 3: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Addy, I see you voted for The Wedding Party . The book is Chick Lit.


message 4: by Addy (new)

Addy ^^^I see you're right. Thought it was just romance. Removed.


message 5: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader And Hollywood Hack is a cozy mystery that would also fall in the chick lit category


message 6: by Addy (last edited Jan 12, 2019 03:34PM) (new)

Addy Divena wrote: "And Hollywood Hack is a cozy mystery that would also fall in the chick lit category"
I disagree. ETA: I have no problems with cozy mysteries, one or two isn't a big deal for me and I've already placed this author on my previous list. And I don't think this is chicklit.


message 7: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader I've read the previous books in the series Hollywood Homicide and Hollywood Ending. Both very much chicklit.


message 8: by Ms. Woc Reader (last edited Jan 12, 2019 08:44PM) (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Addy wrote: "Divena wrote: "And Hollywood Hack is a cozy mystery that would also fall in the chick lit category"
I disagree. ETA: I have no problems with cozy mysteries, one or two isn't a big deal for me and I..."


Just saying your list excludes chick lit and the previous book was removed from your last list for being chick lit. This series is in the same vein of the Wedding Party serious except the romance is one element of the story alongside the mystery.


message 9: by Addy (new)

Addy Divena wrote: "Addy wrote: "Divena wrote: "And Hollywood Hack is a cozy mystery that would also fall in the chick lit category"
I disagree. ETA: I have no problems with cozy mysteries, one or two isn't a big deal..."

I usually don't remove a book of a certain genre unless I see https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... by a known publisher of that genre or many people shelf the book as "chick-lit" (AND I haven't read the book in question to disagree). This is not the case for this series.

I didn't remove the book from my last list for being chick-lit. I removed it to prove a point, to be honest. Someone was placing an overwhelming amount of rule breakers on my list. If you look at this list, you'll see the first book in this series on the list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

This list isn't for cozy mysteries, but I'll let one or two slip through. I've seen others create "literary" lists as well and they have a MORE than a few rule breakers. I only let in about two, Maybe three. Maybe.


message 10: by Addy (new)

Addy Judges: When The Light Lay Still by Charles J. Eskew has been removed because it's not a book. The rules state no ebooks.


message 11: by Addy (new)

Addy The following have been remved because the authors are not African-Americans:

The World Doesn't Require You: Stories
by Rion Amilcar Scott

Black Card
by Chris L. Terry

The Haunting of Tram Car 015
by P. Djèlí Clark

A Particular Kind of Black Man
by Tope Folarin

Shades: Detroit Love Stories
by Esperanza M Cintron

The following have been removed because they have been published before 2019:

Negrophobia: An Urban Parable
by Darius James

Blueschild Baby: A Novel
by George Cain

Hue and Cry: Stories
by James Alan McPherson

Country Place: A Novel
by Ann Petry


message 12: by Reggie (new)

Reggie Absolutely Nothing to Get Alarmed About consists of 3 novels, all of which were published in the 20th century, just like Negrophobia, Blueschild Baby, Hue and Cry & Country Place.


message 13: by Addy (new)

Addy Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams and The Old Drift
by Namwali Serpell have been deleted because the authors are not African-Americans.


message 14: by Addy (new)

Addy SLAY by Brittney Morris has been removed because this list if not for Young Adult novels.

You can find the book on my other list for YA and MG fiction here:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...


message 15: by Addy (new)

Addy The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin has been removed and added to the 2020 list. Apparently the publication was pushed back.


message 16: by Addy (new)

Addy A Violent Woman: A Novel by Ayana Mathis has been moved to the 2021 list.


message 17: by Addy (new)

Addy The Gone Dead by Chanelle Benz has been removed because the author is not African-American.


back to top



Related News

  Here at Goodreads, we've noticed that a funny thing tends to happen when we start talking about audiobooks: The same few titles get...

Anyone can add books to this list.