Goodreads is creating new ways to deliver highly personalized and relevant content for millions of readers around the world, built on one of the world’s largest collections of data about books and reading trends.
We’re a mission-driven company, only at the beginning of helping readers find books they love, read more, and share ideas.
As an Amazon company, we utilize cutting-edge technology and technical expertise. We are deeply integrated with Kindle and have exciting opportunities to invent the future of reading in partnership with Kindle, Audible, Alexa, and more.
Our headquarters are located in San Francisco. When we’re not working, we’re looking to expand our horizons in other ways, including visits by bestselling authors, hackathons, team-led tech talks, game nights, and volunteering at local charities. And, of course, we love books and have free books and internal book clubs.
Goodreads is a subsidiary of Amazon — many of our employees get opportunities to travel to Amazon’s main campus in Seattle for training, conferences, and working with our partner teams.
As a subsidiary of Amazon, we offer a full range of benefits that support you and eligible family members. Learn more about Amazon benefits
Want to be part of creating innovative experiences for the largest community of readers? We’re hiring!
Our mission is to help readers find and share the books they love. And, with over 95MM members, Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. Avid and casual readers can discover their next favorite book by seeing what friends and influencers are reading or by using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine; they can also share ratings and recommendations, track what they have read, list what they want to read as well as connect with readers and authors.
Goodreads is looking for a VP of Engineering that can help us accelerate shipping our roadmap, reduce our tech debt and move to new, innovative Amazon technologies, and who can provide technical mentorship and coaching to our software engineers. You will set direction for our engineering teams, invent & simplify our processes and ensure the successful delivery of projects from multiple Goodreads teams and engineers in San Francisco.
Goodreads is a subsidiary of Amazon; this role will require quarterly travel to Seattle and the ability to build relationships with remote teams to partner successfully on joint initiatives.
· Work with our CEO and executive team to set strategy and culture for the company
· Manage a multi-layered engineering team of about 60 people, including Software Development Managers, Technical Program Managers, QA, and Software Development Engineers
· Set the technical vision and define/drive engineering goals for the company
· Participate in architecture discussions and planning with Principal Engineers and development teams
· Foster a culture of regular communication, transparency and accountability within your teams and beyond
· In partnership with senior leaders in Product and Design, manage overall roadmap, execution and deliver of product
· Hire and develop a world-class engineering team; coach and mentor managers and individual contributors
· Drive process improvement for your teams to innovate, execute, interact and communicate more effectively
· Interface with partner teams across Amazon using Goodreads functionality, such as Kindle and Alexa
· Oversee yearly infrastructure, team, and software budgets