Start by marking “Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas” as Want to Read:
Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas

Read Excerpt

Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas

Don't waste another second of your valuable holiday time on another boring Christmas movie. Film critic Alonso Duralde highlights the best - and worst - movies of the Yuletide season with this fun and informative film guide. Whether you're looking for the classics, family favorites, holiday horror, Christmas-themed crime epics, or the most wonderfully awful cinematic lumps ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Limelight Editions

To ask other readers questions about Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas

Start your review of Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas
Leslie Goddard
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the Christmas movie guide I've been wanting to find for a while. Duralde packs a lot of movies into this guide (something like a 120 movies in the table of content), both the well-known ones and obscure ones. For each, he includes a plot summary, his own review of what makes it work well (or not), and a few fun trivia tidbits. Perfect for when a Christmas movies pops up on TV and you want to know when it was made, whether it's worth watching and what to keep in mind.

For me, the great
Matthew
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Informational and a fun guide to Christmas and Christmas-themed films.
John Amory
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I had fun reading this, and it absolutely flew by, but I was also pretty let down by some of the content. It's all subjective, obviously, since this is a guide based on the author's personal preferences, but there were some seriously egregious omissions (the most glaring, to me, being either version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas; Holiday Inn, where the song "White Christmas" originated; and the now-classic tale of consumerism, Jingle All the Way) and some choices I didn't agree with. Why is ...more
Andy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and sometimes funny compilation of Christmas movies. I always tend to think of sentimental stories, romances or comedies about dysfunctional families when I think of Christmas in movies, but this book shows that there is so much more: horror, action, good and bad movies. I have some of the movies already on my watchlist - although I have to say that it is quite difficult to find some of them on streaming services nowadays. Nevertheless, this book will stay with me in my ...more
Jake Harris
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alonso Duralde's recurring "Christmas Minute" bit on the "Who Shot Ya?" podcast led me to pick up this refreshing guide to all movies Christmas. There's something for everyone here, whether you're a fan of crime noir, horror, musicals or just classic Christmas movies. It's easily digestible and fun to read. I'll definitely be using it in the future whenever I'm looking for something out of the ordinary to watch during the holiday season.
Sarah Evans
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
My husband surprised me with this delightful look at a variety of films featuring Christmas or even memorable Christmas scenes. Organized by type (family movies, horror movies, etc), every film is described with honesty and wit. A must-have for Christmas movie fans or cinephiles in general.
Ruairidh Trail
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a huge fan of Christmas and Christmas related films I'm so glad this book exists. I had heard of or seen a great number of the films included here, but loved revisiting them through Duralde's concise yet informative miniature reviews. For those films which I had yet to see or had not even heard of, this book was a great jumping off point and inspired me to check out some films I may have otherwise ignored or missed.

With plenty of "Did you knows" thrown in for good measure as well, HYAMLC not
Angela
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has their traditional favorite Christmas movies, but sometimes it's nice to find a new favorite. If you're looking for something new to watch this Christmas, this is a great book to turn to. It doesn't matter if you're looking for something kiddie friendly, a comedy, a tearjerker, a classic, something modern, or something hilariously bad, you're bound to find what you're looking for here. For each movie, there's a summary, a critique from Alonso Duralde, and some trivia about the movie. ...more
Virginia
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought the inclusion of the fun facts made each title more interesting. Several movies were covered that I have never even heard of, including Fanny and Alexander, Millions, and Remember the Night. And some of my favorites were not included, such as Last Holiday. I thought the Lumps of Coal chapter was quite interesting, despite the author’s scathing review of both Thomas Kincade’s Christmas Cottage movie and Mr. Kincade’s paintings (which he labeled “tacky artwork”).

The Scrooge-a-Palooza
Amanda
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
The trouble with reading a guide of any sort is that you run the risk of not agreeing with the author's opinion. I agreed with Alonso about 50 percent of the time. Unfortunately that meant that half of this reading experience wasn't great. Truth is Duralde is pretentious with the obvious, and lowbrow when it's clichéd. That said, the book is well organized, with films broken down into subcategories that make up the chapters, and a synopsis, mini review, and fun facts for each film. The chapter ...more
Jessy Brainerd
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I'm a bit of a Christmas movie addict, and was so excited about reading this. There is some great information - I was suprised by how many books Duralde wrote about that I either hadn't heard of, or wasn't aware of the Christmas connection.

I think the best thing about this is that, while it contains a lot of information, it's very tongue-in-cheek - funny stuff. I've just vastly expanded my must-buy Christmas movie list!!
+ Dragonfly+
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
O I am so glad I won this book Have Yourself a Movie Little Christmas!
Thanks first reads. This book is a good idea. Just look in the back for the index of titles for your movie you want to find or look in the index for the people in your movie. Fun facts about the movie too. I hope the author writes another book like this with newer titles of our favorite Christmas movies. I did learn about alot of movies I would have never thought of as Christmas movies so I have lots to catch up on!
Diane
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A smart, enjoyable read from an author who loves movies and Christmas. Alonso Duralde combines his passion for movies, and love of Christmas in this delightful reference. I was reminded of holiday movies I haven't seen in years, and found many new ones I plan to check out. My Netflix queue is overflowing with Christmas cheer. A really fun book that I plan to break out every Christmas.
Kurt Reighley
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Since I can't give my own book as Christmas presents this year, I'm giving this instead. I never thought I'd want to see another version of "A Christmas Carol" again until I read this. Hilarious and informative.
Lauren~
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
A friend lent me this book. So far a fun read! It was an ok book for getting ideas for Christmas movies, I hope the author writes another book with more movies like The Holiday, I always think of this one as a great Christmas movie.
Sam
Dec 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
fun read! totally interesting, a great read for movie buffs, fans of hollywood, or just like to read, LOL
Charles P.
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
This is a great book resource for those who love Christmas movies. I love Christmas movies I find to be a great book to read.
Amy
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great guide to finding holiday movies or movies that have holiday scenes. Gives a synopsis and also some fun info on the movies.
Pamela Brooks
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
fun to read and helpful as a reference book also.

• Things You Save in a Fire
  • よつばと! 13 (Yotsuba&! #13)
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Gay Like Me: A Father Writes to His Son
  • Trading Christmas
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets
  • Andy Warhol was a Hoarder: Inside the Minds of History's Great Personalities
  • Evil Elves (Cozy Corgi Mysteries Book 15)
  • Envious Casca (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #6)
  • The Corpse in the Snowman (Nigel Strangeways, #7)
  • The Stationery Shop
  • How Reading Changed My Life
  • The Pope: Francis, Benedict, and the Decision That Shook the World
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6)
  • The Boomer Book of Christmas Memories
Alonso Duralde has written about film for Movieline, MSNBC.com, Movies.com, HitFix.com, Salon.com, and the Village Voice, among many other publications. He serves as features programmer for the Outfest Film Festival in Los Angeles and as a pre-screener for the Sundance Film Festival. The former Arts and Entertainment Editor at The Advocate, Duralde also spent five years as the Artistic Director ...more