Start by marking “Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes” as Want to Read:

In this timely new book, Darina reconnects you with the cooking skills that missed a generation or two. The book is divided into chapters such as Dairy, Poultry and Eggs, Bread, and Preserving, and forgotten processes such as smoking mackerel, curing bacon, and making yogurt and butter are explained in the simplest terms. The delicious recipes show you how to use your ...more
Published March 16th 2010 by Kyle Books (first published November 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Skills of Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Skills of Cooking

Start your review of Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
Redsteve
This is an amazingly extensive book of traditional foodways, recipes and practical advice, including gathering, preserving and cooking with wild herbs, flowers, fruits, mushrooms, preparing and cooking fish, shellfish, seaweed, game animals, and wildfowl, as well as farm-raised meats, such as beef, pork and lamb - including sausage-making techniques. In addition to recipes, the author gives a wealth of practical advice on raising and butchering chickens. She covers all manner of preservation ...more
April Sotomayor
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good friend gave me this book for my birthday this year. Knowing the kind of cook I am - interested in food, all the steps taken to getting it, and its unique preparation were reasons she chose it for me. It was a spot-on, thoughtful gift.

The book is focused on food that comes from or is found in the UK and Ireland. I was raised in the US, but I live in England now and have a growing fascination with the wild foods and traditional dishes that are found and made here. British food has had a
Jenn
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow foodies, food historians, people wanting insights in an Irish upbringing
Darina's voice and her story definitely comes through in this book, it's littered with references of her mentors, peppered with anecdotes of her first henraising experience. Her passion is admirable, but I find the Irish tales a little difficult to relate to.

Still, a fun and insightful (and gorgeously laid out) book.
Rebecca Newman
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a GREAT book this is! I borrowed it from the library but this is one book that I MUST have for myself. It has BEAUTIFUL photography within and so many recipes encouraging the old ways of putting food on the table: foraging, hunting, growing and ALWAYS using every part you can.

So, so good.

Daniel
Apr 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think Dick Duvall would enjoy this one! But he might start keeping a flock of hens after reading it!

OH, and if either of my 2 librarian friends has Librarian Status, the title is completely wrong -- which a simple click on the cover above reveals :)
Mary
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A more apropos title for this book might be forgotten foods cooking. If you have access to fields of weeds that are actually edible, this book may be for you. I dont. And have no idea where I would even begin to locate cowslip, hawthorn or comfrey. Nor is it easy to locate a snipe or a woodcock. Some recipes do not require access to wild plants and animals like a lemon pound cake made with almond flour (though you are supposed to candy your violets. . . ). The meat recipes are head to tail ...more
Lisa
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I absolutely love reading cookbooks, but this one was hard for me. The recipes, while interesting, were not ones that I would venture to make. However, with that being said, I did find it fascinating how different cultures view delicacies.
Alisa Kester
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SUCH a fantastic read!
Joel
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darina is a hero of mine in the food world. The cover of the book calls her "The Julia Child of Ireland" (on the American version), but I would say that she is much closer to Alice Waters than Child. This book is tremendously expansive, and details nearly any skill you could desire to attain in cooking, from smoking meats to making butter, and nearly everything in between. Darina is all about simplicity, getting to the essence of the flavors in the food.

If you read the title carefully, you'll
Terry
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scanned, honestly.

Melissa Clark had it on a list of a few of her favorite cookbooks, and I can see why.
Nikki
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: recommended, food
Hillary recommended this book to me when we were traveling together in Philadelphia. I skimmed through it and found it largely impractical for me. Many recipes aren't long but can be very complicated and require ingredients I don't have or that are quite unhealthy (lots of butter and cream). I can appreciate sections like "How to fillet a fresh fish" but even then there aren't pictures to go along with each step, which I would have benefitted from. Overall this book could be useful to me, but I ...more
Raelene
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There can't possibly be enough good to say about this cookbook/tutorial tome. It's fantastic. Fan. Tas. Tic. She has a whole chapter on Foraging (yes, foraging! wild food. growing randomly. in the wild) and how to use what you've found. Each chapter covers one basic unit: Foraging, Breads, Lamb, Beef, Pork, Fish, Chicken (and how to keep your own hens), etc etc etc.

Her advice and instructions are practical and down-to-earth: how to gut and fillet a fish, how to prepare a duck or pigeon for the
Cade
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Some interesting recipes especially some old ones using cuts of meat that are not much used anymore. There are over 700 recipes but many are just slight variations on a base recipe. I thought the section on herbs and vegetables was quite good and the soda bread is something I will be trying soon. I was a little disappointed that the book doesn't go into much detail on any of the forgotten skills. This is not much of a how-to book.
Hope
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains everything you might ever want or need to know about cooking, including how to make butter, keep chickens and other animals, and how to dress and butcher anything. Also a fascinating look into the life and business of Irish chef Darina Allen, who seems to make everything she eats. The shepherd's pie and lemon curd recipes are both amazing. I need to try more things from this book.
Kelly RAley
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a gorgeous, well-written cookbook. There are lots of photos and drawings included. I've tried just a few of the recipes, which were excellent, but the true joy comes from reading it. I love reading about what people eat in books. Well described high teas, savory stews or scones always delight me. This book is like a day in the Irish country-side where you feel the fire in the hearth and a glass of fresh cold milk at your side. A delicious offering.
Sara W.
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is so helpful! It is true that we usually forgotten cooking the basics since all of what we need is instant and ready-made. This book is an eye-opener to the reader since it includes here some recipes that are easy to cook and very safe to eat since its all homemade. We must realized that in this book we can save finances and can keep our health healthier. Thanks for this book! ...more
Deborah Harkness
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Did you know that freshly laid eggs can be preserved for 2 months by rubbing butter into the warm shells? Neither did I. Darina Allen's book makes you rethink what it means to live in a modern food culture that privileges convenience and ease over forgotten skills like foraging and preserving. And the recipes are delicious, too.
Charlene
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's amazing, inspiring, practical, artistic. It makes me want to make candied violets and harvest wild greens. You don't normally see the practical and poetic so married in a single volume, but art can be a part of everyday life, down to growing and preparing a vegetable. Good to remember that.
Annette McIntyre
An excellent book on how things in the kitchen used to be done and why they should be done again. Lots of areas covered from foraging, to butchery, to preserving and lots more besides. Divided into sections on various topics the author goes into the history of each, then follows up with recipes - some old fashioned and some very modern.

I will be adding this book to my collection.
Lucinda
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is full of beautiful photography and after reading through most of it (since it is a recipe book), I felt like I wanted to go to Ireland for 3 months for one of Darina Allen's cooking courses! Then this week Bobby Flay premiered a new show where he is exploring cuisine in Ireland and he had Darina as part of his show. It's a great book!
Val Durfee
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Oh my goodness...this is one of my three favorite cookbooks. My go-to for anything I need to make that is represented in its pages. Some of the cook times need adjustment for high altitude (duh), but I have yet to make anything from these recipes that we didn't love.
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book, one with a great deal of information and background on gathering the ingredients as well as the actual cooking. Interesting read, and I'm sure I will try some of the recipes soon!
Kim
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite cookbook. With a nice mix of old-fashioned and fresh new recipes I have been able to explore a culinary legacy that is not often celebrated. The techniques are explained clearly and the tone is friendly and instructive. Really, get this cookbook.
Mrs.
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you don't have an extensive cookbook collection, or books that already show you how to make cheese, butter, sausage, or English foods, this is a great reference book. If you have books like that, this will be a repetitive book to have on your shelf.
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
Not much here that I have "forgotten" although there is lots that I didn't want/need to know about varied meat/game.
Abby
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that walks you through how to make most things at home. It makes everything seem straightforward and do-able in any kitchen. Can't wait to start cooking from it!
Michelle Marie
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Soooo good... and really makes me want to go to her three month cooking school in Ireland!!
Janine Pearson
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I wish it wasn't so Ireland based but it was still fun to read
David Hayes
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Assuming a desert island also came - however inexplicably - with a fully-stocked kitchen, this would be a must-bring book.

• How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
  • Cooking
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes
  • Joy of Cooking
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie
  • Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • From Scratch: A Memoir of Love, Sicily, and Finding Home
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • Grandma's Best Quick Breads: Grandma's Best Recipes
  • Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking
  • The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts—and the Rest of Your Life

News & Interviews