Start by marking “Wisdom from the Batcave: How to Live a Super, Heroic Life” as Want to Read:
Wisdom from the Batcave: How to Live a Super, Heroic Life

Wisdom from the Batcave: How to Live a Super, Heroic Life

Wisdom from the Batcave analyzes the life philosophy that emerges from Batman comic books. In 18 entertaining chapters, the Batman's example is used to teach profound truths. Focusing on relationships with self, others, and the larger community, the comic panels and Batman-family characters are utilized to illustrate how to live a better life. ...more
Published October 28th 2006 by Compass Books

To ask other readers questions about Wisdom from the Batcave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wisdom from the Batcave

Start your review of Wisdom from the Batcave: How to Live a Super, Heroic Life
Eleanor
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Read

This is the first review I've ever written for a book, but feel it's important to convey the overwhelming praise I have. First of all, I was blown away to learn this was written by a Rabbi. The juxtaposition was, in my head, almost humorous. However, all of the points connected within all make perfect sense in a logically explained manner. Being a Catholic school attendee from kindergarten through graduating high school, my familiarity with the teachings of the Old Testament are limi
Amy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I consider this book to be more generally self-help-y than spiritual. The author did repeatedly refernce the Torah and Jewish teachings, but I felt that gave appropriate historical context to Batman as most comic book authors atthe time of his creation were Jewish. But the things covered here are a great overview of the moral, ethical, and psychological lessons that Batman has emodied.

You can definitely tell this was written in the early 2000s, though. If the author was taking Dr. Thompkin'
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rabbi Friedman does an amazing job in showing the reader the lessons we learn from Batman. It is very thought provoking without being too preachy. Additionally, Rabbi Friedman shows that many of the lessons learned in Batman comics have their ties in Judaism. It was a fascinating read.
In truth, I couldn't help but smile as I read this novel. It is filled with such enthusiasm and hope that would warm the heart of any cynical being. I highly recommend this book.
Wasik
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! I’ve been a Batman fan ever since I was three, and have always felt connected to the character and the world around him. I’ve been on the lookout for a book which would explain the bridge built between the fictional character and the real world in a spiritual manner - and this book totally fell in that category!
Shaun Horton
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
A fairly short book, but a good read. It's basically Chicken Soup for the Soul with every story being about Batman. Every chapter is about one facet of how we get along as human beings and to be honest, none of it is anything more people don't just inherently know. What helps is the reminder that our lives, how we live them and how we treat others are all up to us.

Fair warning, it is written by a Rabbi, and while not about his religion (The book is about the goddamned Batman!) he does bring it
Al Gritten
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, especially for Batman fans and for those interested in theology and religious studies. Well written and quick read with lots of interesting points. Given to me by a friend who correctly assumed that I would enjoy it. Absolutely! Friedman is a rabbi, but plenty of application for Christian spirituality as well. Some of this will probably make its way into sermons at some point.
Jim Marsh
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rabbi, consultant to the FBI, and life long comic book fan Cary Friedman writes a concise but engaging piece that reflects life lessons we can learn from the example of Batman as well as support from other spiritual leaders.

It was fun, insightful and inspiring and short. Short and perfect!
BookOfLife
Dec 17, 2007 added it
Shelves: podcasted
Hear an interview with author Cary Friedman on The Book of Life podcast's Septembe 2007 episode at www.bookoflifepodcast.com! ...more
Seendid
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get this

Its a great read and is very easy to follow and implement in real life. Glad I bought it! Very inspiring piece of work

• Being at Your Best When Your Kids Are at Their Worst: Practical Compassion in Parenting
  • Circle, Arrow, Spiral: Exploring Gender in Judaism
  • The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz: A True Story of Family and Survival
  • The Joy of Intimacy: A Soulful Guide to Love, Sexuality, and Marriage
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement
  • Something from Nothing
  • Gyo
  • Bowie: Stardust, Rayguns & Moonage Daydreams
  • The Invasion (Animorphs Graphix #1)
  • Hobbes: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Dancing Healers: A Doctor's Journey of Healing with Native Americans
  • Wiping the War Paint off the Lens: Native American Film and Video
  • Rousseau: A Very Short Introduction
  • Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo
  • The Social Contract
  • The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Complete Screenplays with Storyboards

News & Interviews

“Don’t be afraid to make demands on yourself and push yourself beyond the comfortable limits of what you think you can accomplish; you’ll never exhaust your reservoir of potential for accomplishment and achievement. The only limits we possess are the ones we impose upon ourselves.” 0 likes