Start by marking “The Circle of Thanks” as Want to Read:
The Circle of Thanks

The Circle of Thanks

Fourteen poems with themes of thanksgiving and appreciation of nature, based in part on traditional Native American songs and prayers.
Published October 17th 1996 by Troll Communications (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Circle of Thanks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Circle of Thanks

Start your review of The Circle of Thanks
Bookseedstudio
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing

THE CIRCLE OF THANKS: Native American Poems and Songs of Thanksgiving told by Joseph Bruchac (Abekaki) with pictures by Murv Jacobs is an important refererence for thoughtful storytelling.
Poems celebrate 14 Native American cultures with the emphasis on times when living off the land was everyday life.
I read selections from this in elementary school, through the volunteer program, BookPALS & find every year that children are able to appreciate snippets of these prose poems with the right
Karen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new additional to our Thanksgiving collection for children. Collecting poems and songs taken from Native traditions and will help open up conversations about thankfulness and why we don't have to limit thanksgiving to one day a year.
Eden
Everyone knows Thanksgiving. It is the one day a year that we celebrate with family to give thanks. But Native Americans have many celebrations of thanks and did before the holiday of Thanksgiving. Natives gave thanks to everything and Joseph Bruchac expresses that wonderfully in this book of poetry. It's a great read for Thanksgiving.
Margie
Nov 27, 2014 added it
Shelves: book-a-day
The Circle of Thanks: Native American Poems and Songs of Thanksgiving (BridgeWater Books, 1996) told by Joseph Bruchac with illustrations by Murv Jacob presents thirteen poems or songs from ten different peoples. Both Bruchac and Jacob draw on their Native American culture to present authenticity in the words and illustrations. Giving gratitude for everything every day, especially the bounty of our natural world, is inherent in those Native American cultures represented here.

My recommendation:
Jenny
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
While not specifically a Thanksgiving book, I think these poems of thanks for the Earth certainly evoke feelings of gratitude perfect for the Thanksgiving season. I appreciated that the poems come from several tribes. My children and I loved both the poems and the illustrations.

• Sulwe
  • How to Catch a Turkey
  • Poppy
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • Potato Pants!
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Méndez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation
  • The Undefeated
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)
  • Crown: An Ode to the Fresh Cut
  • Salsa: Un poema para cocinar / A Cooking Poem
  • Dear Primo: A Letter to My Cousin
  • Danza!: Amalia Hernández and El Ballet Folklórico de México
  • Funny Bones: Posada and His Day of the Dead Calaveras
  • Diego Rivera: His World and Ours
  • The Princess and the Warrior: A Tale of Two Volcanoes
  • Pancho Rabbit and the Coyote
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by ...more