Start by marking “Carrie Soto Is Back” as Want to Read:

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  124,769 ratings  ·  19,821 reviews
In this powerful novel about the cost of greatness, a legendary athlete attempts a comeback when the world considers her past her prime—from the New York Times bestselling author of Malibu Rising.

Carrie Soto is fierce, and her determination to win at any cost has not made her popular. But by the time she retires from tennis, she is the best player the world has ever seen.
Published August 30th 2022 by Ballantine Books

Availability: 25 copies available, 27555 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 01 - Dec 31, 2022

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Carrie Soto Is Back, please sign up.
    — blue. Yes, honey, you got that right. It is the woman whom Nina's husband left her for.
    …more
    (less)
    Lisa I agree with the other answers. I'm not a big sports fan and I don't really like tennis, but I couldn't put this book down. Weird, because there is a …moreI agree with the other answers. I'm not a big sports fan and I don't really like tennis, but I couldn't put this book down. Weird, because there is a lot of tennis in it. I don't know how she made that work for me.(less)

·  124,769 ratings  ·  19,821 reviews

Start your review of Carrie Soto Is Back
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    May 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Happy book birthday 🥳🎂🎉🎈

TJR is the creator of epic, unforgettable heroines and queen of fascinating historical fictions help us time travel and experience the vivid images, daily lives, true cultures of different time zones where we want to spend more time and never return back to the reality!

“Carrie Soto is back”: might be one of her most exciting, engaging, adrenaline pumping, entertaining, heart throbbing novels she’s ever written !

TJR’s heroines are flawed, but brave enough to rise from a
    Emily May
    Aug 21, 2022 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2022, arc, historical
    In my opinion, Taylor Jenkins Reid is back!!

I know for a lot of people she never left, but after really loving a couple of her earlier books, I have been disappointed by Daisy Jones & The Six and Malibu Rising. The format in the former didn't work for me (I very much like to be immersed in a story) and I don't know what was going on in the latter but it didn't hold my attention.

This was Evelyn Hugo-level riveting for me. I couldn't put it down.

Reid pulled me right inside the mind of Carrie Soto
    jessica
    Aug 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites
    thanks, TJR. this made me cry ugly tears on a public bus.

and about tennis! i shouldnt be crying about tennis. i hate sports! lol.

but i absolutely love with every fibre of my being a good story about a daughter and her relationship with her father. the heart of this story is javier soto and his unconditional love and support for carrie, both on and off the court. that is what made me cry.

i wish i wasnt living halfway across the world from my own dad so i could hug him right now. 💕

zyth ༄ ‧₊˚
    If Mick Riva makes an appearance in this book istg it’ll be my 13th reason. this man is EVERYWHERE😭
    Joel Rochester
    I NEED THIS NOVEL NOW

like after seeing carrie soto in malibu rising i’m so ready for this skdkskkd
    emma
    Jun 30, 2022 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: non-ya, historical
    only taylor jenkins reid could trick me into reading a sports book
    Yun
    Oct 11, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    It sends a tiny thrill through me . . . staring up at a mountain I have yet to scale, each match a step toward the top. It has been so long since I have felt the perfect ache of climbing.
    I'm always drawn towards stories about overcoming adversity at great odds and achieving the impossible through sheer determination and hard work. So is it any surprise that this story totally grabbed ahold of me and refused to let go?

Carrie Soto, the greatest player in tennis history, knows the joy and sacri
    ale ‧ ₊˚୨୧ ₊˚
    I refuse to believe that Carrie Soto isn't real.

my spotify playlist

This was my most expected book of the year. And it did not let me down.

I don't know exactly how TJR had me glued to my book, feeling anxious for some matches that weren't real, played by tennists that are not real, but it feels like they are. I don't understand shit of tennis, to be honest, and one of my friends taught me a lot about it, so I was watching all of the videos that he was sending me, lmao.

I can't put into words h
    Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)
    Jul 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    "Most assholes don’t have comebacks.”

Carrie Soto Is Back is a novel about family, love, tennis, and the price of fame.

The novel opens in 1994 when former tennis star Carrie Soto witnesses seeing her record o 20 Grand Slam titles shattered. She comes out of retirement at age 37 and makes an arduous journey back to the court to prove that she is the best female tennis player in the world. Going back to her childhood, the reader also learns how she became known as the Battle Axe, a.k.a.
    Lisa of Troy
    Aug 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    A Grand Slam

Carrie Soto is a tennis legend, claiming 20 Grand Slam titles. For years, her father, Javier, has been her coach. Now, it is 1994, and Carrie is retired. During the US Open, Carrie watches as Nicki Chan matches her record. Carrie wants to come out of retirement to reclaim her record. Will Carrie be able to affirm her place in tennis history?

First of all, let’s talk about how TJR, Taylor Jenkins Reid, is such a great author. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, Malibu Rising, and Daisy
    persephone ☾
    update 2 : we have a cover people !! i'm getting emotional rn 😭

update : WE HAVE A TITLE HELP 🚨
    TJR i'm warning you, i expect nothing but greatness (& for this book not to send me to therapy pretty please )

2022 is our year y'all 😭
    WE'RE ALSO GETTING A TAYLOR JENKINS REID BOOK
    Dr. Appu Sasidharan
    Sep 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Taylor Jenkins Reid, as usual, managed to write a stunning book that will win the hearts of the readers.

She chose to discuss the world of tennis through the life of Carrie Soto in this book.

Carrie is a true champion who holds the current world record for the most number of grand slams. She retired from the game six years ago. It is the 90s now, and a fierce, stunning player named Nicki Chan is on the verge of breaking her record.

Carrie decides to come back from retirement at the age of th
    emily • emilybookedup
    Jun 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2022-books
    i could literally SOB because this book is over 😭😭🥹🥹🥹

most of you know DAISY JONES & THE SIX is my favorite TJR and let me just say… Daisy walked so Carrie could RUN 🙌🏼🤌🏼 so if Daisy is your favorite like me, you will be thrilled.

but, CARRIE SOTO IS BACK is very different and all about tennis/sports. has great elements (a slow building love story, an amazing father/daughter relationship, coming of age, personal growth, themes/struggles women face, etc.). you’ll need to align your expectations a
    Destiny
    May 22, 2022 rated it did not like it
    *DNF @ 32%* I absolutely adore TJR, and I have and will read everything she writes. But this...I just can't finish. It's very well-written, as per the usual of this author, but there were a few things that just didn't work for me.

Carrie's father repeatedly speaks Spanish at length. TJR makes no attempt to offer any translation or explain what was said. Readers who aren't fluent will be left clueless. Did I miss something important? Did TJR insert a hidden gem? I'll never know!

Also, this book is
    Ellie Spencer
    Nov 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    I think this is my favourite Taylor Jenkins Reid book so far, my love for her writing just grows with every single novel that I read.

Carrie Soto is back follows the legendary tennis player, Carrie, as she returns to the tennis world in an attempt to save her record. But, after being retired for years has she got what it takes to make the come back she is aiming for?

What a book this was! TJR manages to create such incredible and strong female leads in her books. I fall in love with the personal a
    julia
    Feb 16, 2022 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    the 4th instalment in the Mick Riva universe 😌 hopefully it doesn’t have him
    paige
    "Everything we achieve is ephemeral. We have it, and then the next second it's gone."

°•*⁀➷

If you've read any of my reviews on my 5 star books, you'll probably see "sometimes you read a book, and sometimes it reads you" written into all of my favorites. I believe that with my whole heart. I believe there is a force in the universe that puts things in your life when you need them, and you get to choose what to do with the new path than opens up because of it.

This book feels more than that. It feel
    SK
    Sep 01, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Championship point to Carrie Soto!

Read this if you love-
    ✔️Sports. Specifically tennis
    ✔️Powerful yet flawed FMC
    ✔️Family centred relationships

Carrie Soto is an athelete who aims to be the greatest tennis player in the world. To achieve that goal, there a lot of hindrances in her way, one of it being her own self. Will she be able to be the GOAT? What will it cost her?

I'll admit Carrie was not the most easy person to like. Her attitude in the beginning was not appreciated by me much. But overt
    Bryce Rocks My Socks
    this was a SERVE. tennis pun ha. i have a whole list of these, guys.

carrie caused a RACQUET (racquet. get it.) for being unapologetically the 'bitch' we all hated in malibu rising. gave me evelyn hugo energy.

but the relationship? lukewarm. comfortable. stale like my secret stash of Oreos under my bed (just kidding mom) (just kidding no way my mom is reading this) (i hope). i wanted her with someone else, this book had the opportunity to be an evelyn and celia story set in 90s tennis but it was
    MarilynW
    Oct 28, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    Narrated by Stacy Gonzalez and others

I followed tennis closely back in the days that fictional Carrie Soto competed. Still, when the story started, I thought the tennis talk might be too much for me, too boring. But once I got accustomed to it, I enjoyed the talk, the practice, the coaching, and the games. I especially enjoyed the parts of the book with various narrators giving commentary and opinions about Carrie and other players. Very gossipy!

Carrie
    Catherine (alternativelytitledbooks)
    **Many thanks to NetGalley, Random House-Ballantine, and Taylor Jenkins Reid for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 8.30!**

"People act like you can forget your own name, but if you're not paying attention, you can veer so incredibly far away from everything you know about yourself to the point where you stop recognizing what they call you."

Part sports fiction, part romance, part family drama, part historical fiction AND even part bildungsroman, Taylor Jenkins Reid manages to SERVE up every
    talia ♡
    ohhhhhh you guys aren't going to be happy with me...

----------

UPDATE: this cover is so ugly 😭😭😭 i’m still gonna read it tho

----------

UPDATE: 🆘🆘🆘I REMEMBER WHO TF CARRIE SOTO IS AND SHE IS BACK BABY AND I AM STILL READY!🆘🆘🆘

----------

UPDATE: 🆘🆘🆘I DON'T KNOW WHO TF CARRIE SOTO IS BUT SHE IS BACK BABY AND I AM READY!🆘🆘🆘

if i don't get Untitled121954CS in my hands RIGHT NOW! 😂🤣🆘🔪🔪🔪
    Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
    4 Stars

I picked this up for the same reasons everyone else did...because it's Taylor Jenkins Reid and I'll read anything she puts out.

That said, I read the blurb and that's it. So, I had completely forgotten that the title character was even IN Malibu Rising, let alone her role in it. I don't think it would have made a difference to me either way, as I enjoy books about hated characters, but still...I'm glad I didn't remember who Carrie was until about 25% in because it really allowed me to abs
    mimi
    Aug 31, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Carrie Soto is back and there is only one word to describe it: chills.
    From the early years of her life to the end of her career, from the idea of a comeback to actually making it happens, there isn't a more suitable feeling than CHILLS.

I thought a lot about this - and I mean really a lot - and I came up with the knowledge that this one right here is TJR’s best book by now.
    I don’t say this with a light heart because until two days ago I would have fought whoever would have said Daisy Jones and T
    Kat
    Game. Set. Match. Taylor Jenkins Reid served this one straight to my heart and wins again.

Carrie Soto is abrasive, cocky, unfiltered and unapologetic for it. Back in the '80's, early in her professional tennis career, her aggressive style of play earned her the moniker the "Battle-Axe", and as she coolly dominated her competitors, later just "The B*tch". She never tried to make friends with any of them and where men were concerned, she kept her heart out of play. It was just her and her dad, Ja
    Kaceey
    Are you into sports? Tennis in particular?🎾

It’ll certainly help if you are…but not necessary. This book will appeal to anyone fond of reading about strong characters. The sacrifices it takes to crawl your way to the top – and stay there.

I am a huge sports fan, and do enjoy watching (and playing) tennis so this was a great fit for me. The fact that Serena Williams is my favorite tennis player helped, as this book felt as though it was loosely based on her life.

As a little girl Carrie Soto watched
    Kezia Duah
    Sep 18, 2022 rated it really liked it
    “As good as you are, you have never been able to make peace with failure.”
    Yes, the tennis part was cool and all, but nothing can beat the main character having an amazing growth story! Carrie was perfectly flawed and needed to learn what it truly meant to be a winner. The flawlessness of characters is something that I’m pretty sure Reid is the queen of. I was honestly scared of her because my girl was obsessed with tennis, an obsession I don't think I’ve ever read in a book before. I loved that
    Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
    Aug 31, 2022 rated it really liked it
    Better than Reid's last book for me.

I'll admit it, tennis doesn't really thrill me. I enjoyed the movie King Richard and the story about the Williams girls, but I don't know much about it otherwise.

This, however, while it's about tennis (and a lot of tennis I might add) it's also about more than that. It's about a father and a daughter and their relationship. It's about learning how to deal with failure and defeat, even if you're dragged kicking and screaming to deal with it. It's about determ
    Layla
    Feb 12, 2022 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: anticipated-2022
    Edit 4/20/22- everyone that is hyping up the cover is lying through their teeth, and I refuse to believe otherwise.
    ____

Edit 2/15/22- omg the title and synopsis, I already love this book.
    ____

Praying to God that Mick Riva isn't in this book, I'm so sick and tired of that man. 🙄
    Reading_ Tamishly
    May 03, 2022 rated it it was amazing
    Breathtaking!!!

I wasn’t ready for this! Taylor Jenkins Reid does it again and it seems like the author is back with much more than anyone could be ready for!

I don’t know how she does it but the story she comes up with gets so realistic that it’s just impossible not to get too attached to the characters. Mind you it’s not just the main characters but everyone else who’s close to them. The power of an amazing author!

This story is about a gritty do or die tennis player, Carrie Soto, who’s being tra

• A Novel Obsession
    • Left on Tenth: A Second Chance at Life
    • Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism
    • Twin Crowns (Twin Crowns, #1)
    • Answers in the Pages
    • Ghost Lover
    • The Truth About Ben and June
    • The Resort
    See top shelves…
    Taylor Jenkins Reid is the New York Times bestselling author of Carrie Soto Is Back, Malibu Rising, Daisy Jones & The Six, and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, as well as four other novels. She lives in Los Angeles. You can follow her on Instagram @tjenkinsreid. ...more

Articles featuring this book

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
    “We live in a world where exceptional women have to sit around waiting for mediocre men.” 104 likes
    “Some men's childhoods are permitted to last forever, but women are so often reminded that there is work to be done.” 56 likes