Start by marking “The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation” as Want to Read:
The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation

The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation

Part manifesto, part handbook, THE DESIGNFUL COMPANY provides a lively overview of a growing trend in management--design thinking as a business competence. According to the author, traditional managers have relied on a two-step process to make decisions, which he calls "knowing" and "doing." Yet in today's innovation-driven marketplace, managers need to insert a middle ste ...more
Published December 26th 2008 by New Riders Publishing (first published December 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Designful Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Designful Company

Start your review of The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation
Annie Smidt
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
When I saw the AIGA imprint on this book, I figured it might mean that the ideas inside wouldn't be progressive enough for me. And sure enough, I did feel that way for the most part. That's not to say it's a bad book, or that it wouldn't be completely game-changing for many readers. And not to be self-aggrandizing either, but this was a case of preaching to the converted for me (and not going nearly far enough).

The premise here is that corporations must embrace design thinking or per
Marko Savić
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mr. Neumeier writes from the position of somebody:
+ who knows how to write, and
+ who has experience with what design and innovation.

The most important claim in this book for ma was a clear confidence that design management is never to be outsourced. But at the same time many of the design skills should always be outsourced. For me, very useful point.

The second important thing for me was that companies that are growing or if they want to grow, would need a Chief Des
Brittany
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Business Managers, CEOs, Executives, Business Owners, Brand Managers
Recommended to Brittany by: Me
How I Came To Read This Book: My boss & I have a common favourite business author in the form of Marty Neumeier. For his wedding, I preordered him the latest Neumeier tome and he was nice enough to lend it to me before he had the chance to read it.

The Plot: All of Neumeier's books are written in a whiteboard style (i.e. light on text, heavy on ideas, with graphics to drive things home) and are meant to be read in a relatively short period - such as a cross-country plane trip. The
Jeff
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-book-list
The word "design" conjures up graphic designers or interior designers, at least in mind. This book, along with a Fast Company article about David Butler, Chief Global Design Officer for Coca-Cola, is helping me broaden that definition. Design, as Marty Neumeier asserts, is the key to innovation. A new definition of design and designers: "Everyone designs who devises courses of action aimed at changing existing situations into preferred ones." Simply put, design is change. A designer is imaginati ...more
Ryan
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'm a big fan of Marty Neumeier's short and pithy book The Brand Gap, but The Designful Company didn't quite live up to the quality of its predecessor.

The first half of the book is full of catchy but shallow marketing-speak about the importance of orienting companies around design practices, but it fell far short of being actually persuasive. I very much believe in the power of design as a way to make products better, faster, and cheaper, but I can't imagine any skeptical businesspeople could b
Ron
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Boring. It reads like a manifesto, even though the author begins the book stating that it isn't. All platitudes. There's really nothing objectionable in this book, which is what's wrong with it. Nothing surprising, interesting, thought-provoking, novel. Design is good. That's it. Thanks for that.
Shiva
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read for anyone in the creative field of product or experience design struggling to evaluate to what extent the company or team they are part of is ‘Design-inclusive’ or for the entrepreneurs of the future trying to figure out a more modern approach of doing!

This book confirmed something that I have been thinking about for a very long time is that no matter how much a designer can influence the culture of a company, the real change happens when it is driven from top down. T
Mark Lane
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Foundation

I would not only recommend this book to in-house creatives, marketers and managers, but also to anyone who works at a company that is talking about innovation and design thinking. There are many gems to explore and this gives a good foundation.
Iamthird
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
You just need to find a situation worth improving and then work through the creative process.

The act of moving people from an existing situation to an improved one is leading.

Inductive reasoning - observing that something works
Deductive reasoning - proving that something IS
Abductive reasoning - proving that something could be

Design - the way forward

New options must be imagined using the design process.

off the rack solutions are insufficient in an age of perpetual chan
Harshil Lodhi
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is targeted towards business individuals especially those who are managerial positions.

Things I liked:
- It tries to highlight the importance of design/design thinking/innovation in 21st century which I believe is very important and what lead me to read this book.
- It has a nice summary in bullet points at the end of the book that you can use later for a recap or to sprinkle on your PPTs.
- Its a short book which you can complete on a single journey.

Things
Ashley
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another short gem from Marty Neumeier, this is a great, quick read about how to design a company that itself generates innovation and design. Neumeier provides a range of ideas, from how to build a culture of innovation (sound familiar, IDEOers?) to how innovation can clearly (and measurably) impact the bottom line.

I've read The Brand Gap, but I need to pick up Zag too. I've also noted all the books Neumeier listed as recommended reading in the back of this and will be cruising through those as
Christine
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libsci
This book was really interesting, but the steps described will be hard to truly implement unless you are a very high level manager or decision maker. Even so, it reminded me the importance of being the change I'd like to see, and cultivating a group of like minded coworkers to spur change from within. Very easy reading, can be read on a modest length flight, as promised.
Andreas
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Different, inspiring and motivating! When you are involved in any sort of product/service creation, this is a must-read. It also helps you to understand better how some of current "old-school" companies work.
Curtis Stephens
Great resource for anyone in business wanting to develop a company that continually innovates and produces at its highest potential. This book is filled with practical advise for implementing design in every aspect of a company.
Michael Graber
a great brain tune up for change agents. even if you do not agree with the forcible conclusions or assumptions, they provoke new ways to think about organizations
Fritz Desir
Read it. Loved it. Now to retain and practice it. (Arghhh, deadlines I hate you)
Mills College Library
658.4063 N493 2009
Daniel Markwig
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked it quite a lot. Many of the insights seem to be self evident, but it is important to get them pointed out.
Le Nguyen
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
like a collection of many good ideas, but itself is so unorganized.
Widgets &
Jan 20, 2011 rated it liked it
An inspiring read for company leaders looking to maximize their organization's innovation potential.

• The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Business Model Generation
  • Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • The Myths of Innovation