Start by marking “Man Alone with Himself” as Want to Read:

Man Alone with Himself

Friedrich Nietzsche was one of the most revolutionary thinkers in Western philosophy. Here he sets out his subversive views in a series of aphorisms on subjects ranging from art to arrogance, boredom to passion, science to vanity, rejecting conventional notions of morality to celebrate the individual's 'will to power'.
Published August 7th 2008 by Penguin (first published 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Man Alone with Himself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Alone with Himself

AJ Dehany
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
Aphorisms are like horoscopes; they are tied to no specific facts, describe broad tendencies rather than situations, so are freely adaptable, made to measure, with an aura of profundity that isn't grounded, and therefore can not be said to be truly profound.
Peter
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I summarize Nietzsche's thoughts in this book through the following short tale:

I must have followed the hippie couple in my Volvo station wagon for seventeen miles or more. They finally pulled their Volkswagon Vanagon in to a Stop-and-Save in Ventura. I eased the wagon in behind them. I hesitated, not sure whether to approach. After sitting and sweating for several minutes, watching the hippie surfer check the engine in the back, watching the hippie chick head to the ladies room, I banged my han
Rebecca
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
FAVOURITE QUOTE: "Every superior human being will instinctively aspire after a secret citadel where he is set free from the crowd, the many, the majority."
Suha Hallab
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ripe Avocado with honey.
I read this 77 page book in 2 months, savoring it bit by bit. Nietzsche is brilliant, he is deep and sometimes too deep or just high I loved this book. This is my second book for Nietzsche after Thus Spake Zarathustra, and it is quite heavier.
Speaking of the philosopher, he is the preacher of “aloneness” and solitude; he is the prophet against the promise of a great purpose or love or a deity. This book is a brief list of this great philosopher’s ideas, with each requi
Sehar  Moughal
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Few are made for independence – it is a privilege of the strong. And he who attempts it, having the completest right to it but without being compelled to, thereby proves that he is probably not only strong but also daring to the point of recklessness. He ventures into a labyrinth, he multiplies by a thousand the dangers which life as such already brings with it, not the smallest of which is that no one can behold how and where he goes astray, is cut off from others, and is torn to pieces limb f ...more
Woody
Jan 25, 2014 added it
[section from Human, _All Too Human_. lots to work through.]
Oneflwover
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
"That something is irrational is no argument against its existence, but rather a condition for it."
Hawra Alq
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
A 2 because I didn't understand 3/4ers of the philosophical aphorisms. I'm sorry Nietzsche but you lost me wo many times.
Rayhan Ghanchi
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Nadin Soliman
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think am having a cultural shock !
the guy is witty and street smart which is a surprise for all the depth there is in his ideas. i wonder how the nazis did it? used his words to wage a masscre?

the book is short glimpses of his ideas, i think its a nice choice for someone , who like me is exploring philosophy..
Fabrizio Bianchi
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book starts with a collection of what we could call aphorisms, even if it is obvious that they were not crafted as such, regarding the idea of the challenges that life offers to the Man (of course, term used to mean woman just as much), what it means to behave according to science, being a profound soul and how a conflictual behavior is just something we inherited from a prehistoric age.

The second part of the book is kind of a fractured essay going deeper in the topics of philosophy in a sci
Henrik Haapala
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Enemies of truth. Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.” p.1

“Conviction is the belief that in some point of knowledge one possesses absolute truth. Such a belief presumes, then, that absolute truth exist; likewise, that the perfect methods for arriving at them have been found; finally, that every man who has convictions makes use of these perfect methods. All three assertions prove at once that the man of convictions is not the man of scientific thinking; he stands before u
Indy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Friedrich Nietzsche was one of the most revolutionary thinkers in Western philosophy. Here he sets out his subversive views in a series of aphorisms on subjects ranging from art to arrogance, boredom to passion, science to vanity, rejecting conventional notions of morality to celebrate the individual’s “will to power”.

Re-reading this book in the future would definitely give me insights that’s different from this read.
Alan
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nietzsche's meditations on philosophy, the importance of the individual, and the future of mankind are enormous. This short collection of thoughts and poetry is easily the best way to approach the great philosopher's works as they are simple, categorized and have titles. I strongly recommend this Penguin Great Ideas edition for its simplicity. Read this if you are seeking to explore the metaphysical foundations of the Western philosophy.
Stewart
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good introductory text to Nietzsche, and a nice quick weekend read.

My favourite quote: “The first thought of the day - the best way to begin each day well is to think upon awakening whether we could not give at least one person pleasure in this day. If this practice could be accepted as a substitute for the religious practice of prayer, our fellow men would benefit by this change.”

Not a bad approach :)
Braeden Giaconi
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book after I had read The Magic Mountain, thinking that it would be a mental break since it is very short. This book taught me that reading 70 pages of aphorisms is not entertaining.
Ahmet Tekin
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Aphorisms in this book are prone to hit-and-miss, but they are also the fun side of philosophy. For people like me who want to explore philosophy but don't want to delve too much into it, it's one of the best books available.
Neeraj Shukla
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unlike what the title would suggest, this book "Man Alone with Himself" is not about a lonely man who plays with himself, but a serious philosophical book.

I probably need to read this again to understand it because I am not sure I have fully understood this.
Jon
Its fun, if a little all over the shop. Worth reading for the formal and stylistic aspects if nothing else. Would recommend.
BookAmbler
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
What is he talking about?!
Kirtida Gautam
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chakra-5, yin-yang
"To speak about oneself not at all is a very refined form of hypocrisy."
This book. THIS BOOK.
Wow.
No words. It's just wow.
Lizzy Moreno
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Agreed with almost everything he said, especially in the first section of the book.
Dean Luce
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Good book, sometimes difficult to read though.
Ana
Among Friends: An Epilogue
The Free Spirit
From High Mountains: Epode
Brandon Nankivell
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
An excellent observation of the human condition. As an observer of life, Nietzsche's words make me feel less alone.
Issam Hajaly
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A brillinatly concised introduction to the great philosopher's life and philosophy
Neminem
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This one is gonna need another read....
A fresh look at how the mind thinks, and also how it should be thinking.
Arshia
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a short little book (bits curated from some of his other works). In it you'll find, hopefully as I did, a few gems and somewhat counter intuitive ways of looking at everyday ideas and situations, analyzed through the eyes of a man who is accustomed to viewing the world in his own peculiar way.

This is a difficult book for me to rate, in that although I found some of its points useful, refreshing and even eye opening, I failed to connect or more bluntly grasp at least half of it. I fear my
Ignas
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Short book, yet so provocative! Splashing with a mixture of philosophy, psychology and poetry, at the end it gives a great excerpt from Zarathustra that is as much an enjoyment to read aloud as it is profoundly contemplative.

And it even compelled me to write out a bunch of quotes that, if I could remember them while taking a walk, or meeting with a friend, or reading a book, or having a shower, or - at every moment really - it would make me a way better person.
Åñbü Çhélvåñ
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

i really enjoyed this book,all the aphorisms,
the one that affected me the most is

"The only human right. - He who deviates from the traditional falls victim to
the extraordinary; he who remains in the traditional becomes its slave. In
either event he perishes."
no words to say,it was a nice read.

• Some Anatomies of Melancholy
  • Useful Work versus Useless Toil
  • Sensation and Sex
  • Human Happiness
  • On the Nature of War
  • The First Ten Books (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • The Lamp of Memory
  • An Appeal to the Toiling, Oppressed & Exhausted Peoples of Europe
  • Dialogue Between Fashion and Death
  • Miracles and Idolatry
  • Conspicuous Consumption
  • Revolution and War
  • We Will All Go Down Fighting to the End
  • Of Man
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche was a German philosopher of the late 19th century who challenged the foundations of Christianity and traditional morality. He was interested in the enhancement of individual and cultural health, and believed in life, creativity, power, and the realities of the world we live in, rather than those situated in a world beyond. Central to his philosophy is the idea of “life- ...more
“Dangerous Helpfulness. There are people who want to make men's lives more difficult for no other reason than afterwards to offer them their prescriptions for making life easier -- their Christianity, for example.” 5 likes
“The only human right. - He who deviates from the traditional falls victim to
the extraordinary; he who remains in the traditional becomes its slave. In
either event he perishes.”
1 likes