Start by marking “The Hug Blanket” as Want to Read:

It smells like sunshine.
It sounds like whispers.
It looks like rainbows.
It feels like love.
Nana made hug blankets for all her family.
Each one was special.
We love our Nana.
"A joyful story of family, love and loss, but above all else, love"
Hardcover, First, 32 pages
Published August 1st 2020 by Scholastic Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Hug Blanket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hug Blanket

Start your review of The Hug Blanket
Jo
Aug 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Hug Blanket - Chris Gurney - illustrations - Lael Chisholm
This was a finalists of the 2021 New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults and I can see why, its gorgeously illustrated and the story is a heartfelt story about a young girl and her relationship with her grandmother and how she coped with the passing of a much loved grandmother. As I read this book I had a smile on my face, a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I absolutely adored this book, its so beautifully told, t
Melinda Szymanik
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This sweet book begins with a charming portrayal of a loving relationship between a Nana and her mokopuna. The language is lyrical and the illustrations rich and full of happiness. 'Nana made hug blankets for all her family while she watched TV. Bright woollen squares grew through her fingers and were joined together to make something special for each special person she loved.' They fossick on the beach, do baking together and play games.

One day Dad tells his children their nana has died. Her pa
idreamofallthebooks
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness... my heart! This is not what I expected to accompany my Thursday morning coffee before heading to school.

The story follows a girl and her little brother as they share all the things that they love to do with their Nana. Their story also shows us their world without their beloved Nana in it.

Though I want to protect all the little ones in the world from the sudden death of a loved one, I think these type of stories are exactly what need to exist. Certain topics should be approached
Kodi Hapi
Mar 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story focusses on the loving relationship between a fun, cool grandmother and her mokopuna. Sadly, as in life, the grandmother dies, and we are guided through the journey of loss experienced by the children and are reminded of the legacy she has left them.

THEMES: Love, loss, grief, legacy, families and remembering who we come from.

ILLUSTRATIONS: Warm and loving illustrations match the messages of the book.
Anne
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book didn't go where I thought it was going when I started reading it - but I am glad it did.
With sensitivity but without avoiding the trauma, this is about a little girl who is struggling with the death of her beloved Nana. It is gentle, honest and absolutely glorious. It is a must have to help children with grief.
Annie
"It smells like sunshine.
It sounds like whispers.
It looks like rainbows.
It feels like love."

A story of love and family.
When a girl's Nana dies suddenly, she shares her feelings.
As her family hold the funeral, and visit Nana's grave, the family celebrate and share in ways that Nana would enjoy.
Nana was all about fun and joy - and that is how the family remember her.
Paul Graham Terpstra
A touching tale of grief, loss and remembrance. Well told. Nice illustrations

• Pig the Monster
  • I'll always be older than you
  • Hare and Ruru
  • Winner Winner Bin Chicken Dinner
  • Karana: The Story of Father Emu
  • Two Little Pirates
  • Good Question: A Tale Told Backwards
  • A Song for the Dark Times (Inspector Rebus #23)
  • Madame Badobedah