Start by marking “The Locket” as Want to Read:
The Locket

The Locket

Lockets, like hearts, keep secrets

During the golden summer before the First World War, Emily Pendennys knows her duty is to rescue the family fortunes by marrying well. Falling in love is little more than a dream and leaving her small Cornish village an impossibility. But as the storm clouds of war gather a chance encounter changes Emily’s future and steals her heart forev
Published July 10th 2020 by Millington Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Locket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locket

Start your review of The Locket
Shreedevi Gurumurty
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unforgettable story of friendship, sacrifice and never ending love. Lockets, like hearts, keep secrets. During the golden summer before the First World War, Emily Pendennys knows her duty is to rescue her penniless family fortunes by marrying well into the neighbouring rich family to get her drunken father Julyan's debts cleared, as she shoulders all the burdens of women during the Edwardian era since her brother,Morvan, passed young. Falling in love is a little more than a dream and leaving ...more
Aimee Dean
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some secrets are kept close to the heart.

This book has a very special place in my heart as I was lucky enough to read the original sketch before The Locket was actually written. I am a huge fan Ruth’s novels and I particularly enjoy her historical novels (The Letter, The Promise and The Last Card novella). Ruth has a wonderful way of transporting her readers back in time with vivid descriptions of places as well as well developed characters that you can’t help but love.
If you have read The L
Deanna Green
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling and touching read.

I gave this five stars because that was the most I could give it, even though there were things I didn’t particularly like.
It was a story that really captured you until you were living it along with them. It was a story that often moved me to tears. I loved the way her descriptions often transported you to the
countryside, even if they were a little over the top in descriptive words at times.
I’m not a fan of books that start of in one era then go back in time to
Book-shelf Shelf
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a follow on and a standalone book which follows the life of Emmy Penndennys. She is a child on her 16th birthday when we meet her and go through her first adult years and the start of WWII. She meets Alex while having her photo taken and is smitten there on. Kit Rivers comes in to the story early on as he is friends with Emmy and his poems are in the heart of the former book, The Letters. We also meet many new characters and instantly fall in love with them.

Ruth has hit the mark with thi
Ursula Clarke
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will stay in my heart for a long time to come. It was so nice being back at Rosecraddick and to be amongst characters that are like old friends. It has been a while since I read The Letter but I had no problem remembering it and all the characters. This book sits so perfectly with it, who would have thought this was only meant to be a novella, a short story to accompany The Letter, these two stories go together so perfectly they were truly meant to be. I for one will definitely be re-r ...more
Leni
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ruth Saberton has a rare gift. She weaves words together that stir deep emotions in her readers. Every sentence conveys meaning. Her characters fully come to life. They have deep and meaningful thoughts, that make the reader take measure of his or her life circumstances. I always get the feeling that I know the characters personally. I am sad to say goodbye when the last page has been turned.
Her new novel, The Locket, shares certain characters with her prior book, The Letter. I was delighted to
Elizabethd
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was deeply involved in this book from the beginning. I suppose that living in Cornwall, as does the author, the descriptions of the places felt so familiar to me. I haven't read The Letter, but really must.
The story of Alex, Kit, Rupert and Em was beautifully written. The horrors of war, even at a distance, the anxieties of waiting, the agony of loss....it is all there. But the joys, the relationships are also dwelt on with sympathy and depth.
I very much enjoyed reading this, and have read man
Holly Kailani
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great grandfather and son connected by wars more than a century apart

Richly detailed. Compelling. Heartbreaking. Hopeful. Young lovers torn apart by WW1, their story discovered by their great granddaughter as she struggles with fear when her son is in a modern day war. The joy of young love and the love for the child of that union, complicated by their not being able to marry in a time when being an unwed mother was an unforgivable disgrace. A dear friend marries the grieving girl to save her fr
Breanna Kole
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!

Oh wow! I absolutely enjoyed reading this book! Such an incredible tale! I had imagined Emily Pendennys as a forgotten meek heiress. Yet she was so much more! She’s a free, adventurous spirit who loves fiercely. Alex, Rupert, Kit and Emmy had the best friendship.

The Locket lends so much more life to WWI. The brave young men who left behind such ambitious and adventurous life, for a life at war unlike anything ever experienced before.

I highly recommend reading this
Leanne
Jul 23, 2020 added it
I love Ruth Saberton’s books. The Locket is no exception. Ruth’s gift at writing brings characters to life and their situations feel so real! Flipping time periods and tying together past and present is an art Ruth excels at. Having already read The Letter it was nice to have mention of characters from that previous story and marvel at how they entwined and touched the lives of Ali and her extraordinary forbearers. Truly captivating, an emotional roller coaster and wonderful to “experience” bein ...more
Maureen Lowther
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book and truly magnificent

What can I say once again Ruth has transported us to days long ago and the horrors of the Great War. The Locket is a powerful sequel to The Letter a love story told over generations it brings back for me so many memories of The Letter and Kit Rivers. It is a must read for everybody. Ruth is such a powerful writer her stories bring to life the characters she portrays. Ruth I salute you.
Lisa
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read this, as I have already read the sister book The Letter. You don't however need to have read that to read this one, it is a stand-alone too.
It was lovely to revisit some of the characters from the previous story.
Set in both the present day and back around the World War I era, it tells the story of love, loss and determination to survive heartbreak and make from life what you can.
A really powerful and compelling read, I struggled to put it down.
Angela Wright
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous

An excellent follow up novel to The Letter. I was just as emotional reading The Locket as I was The Letter. The story of Emmy and Alex would break your heart. Beautifully written & a stark reminder of how much was sacrificed by the Lost Generation. In her writing Ruth keeps the memory of all those sleeping in foreign fields alive and those who lived through the pain and anguish of losing them. Simply incredible.
Linda Brian
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of love and courage and honour.

This story is amazing. I literally couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. I wanted to cry over the the unfairness of life but wouldn't because then I wouldn't be able read the book. It tells of the bravery and honour of men and the courage and loyalty of women in one of the darkest times in recent history and how history impacts on the present.
Carol Hatch
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Poignant Historical Fiction.

Ruth Saberton is a skilled writer who knows how to spin a tale, create believable characters and keep her readers captivated and engaged. I loved The Locket and would had given it five stars had it been better edited. Also, although there was a brief mention of Chloe from The Letter, I would have liked a bit more connection to Saberton’s previous novel. But, mild criticism aside, I am a Saberton fan and can hardly wait for her next novel.
Michelle Roberts
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I could read a more beautiful love story when I read The Letter but this one was just as beautiful to read. A lot of the same characters were in this story so it was great to read the follow on story of those characters as well as the love story of Emmy and Alex. Thanks again Ruth for a beautiful moving story ...more
Melba Hard
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very emotional and beautifully written.

What a wonderful book,we find ourselves back in Rosecraddick in the summer of 1914 and meet up with some old friends from the previous book in this series, but also make more new friends. I love these books.. This book was extremely well written with such delightful characters
Janet Wild
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story

This story is one to read in November as we remember those who died so we might live. This love story is woven around the Great War as it is known today, it tells of the friendship and love of four young people. Family history is full of gaps and surprises as told here in this story. Tissues are required.
Helen Gauthier
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book about a contemporary woman who discovers new insights into her own family by researching some items found among her mother's possessions. Dual timeline also follows her great grandmother as a teen and a young woman during WWI. Really well written tale. I will read others by this author. ...more
Diana
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heart Touching

This novel is splendidly written. The characters, places, and times take you back to WWI in a way that weaves that time in history into a beautiful tapestry. Any book that begins with the present day and then transports you to the past is always an experience a reader can cherish.
Thank You Ruth ~ Wonderful 5 Star read !
Janelleehat
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This was absolutely beautifully written. It was a wonderful story and had such vivid characters that you felt that you truly knew and loved and then woven into all of it were such thought provoking and poignant snatches that wrote themselves on your mind and heart. This was an incredible book.
catherine west
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book

I've just this minute finished reading this amazing book
The story that so brilliantly weaves the past and here and now together.
While I was reading I was smiling I laughed and I also sat with tears in my eyes.
It's a fabulous book to read.
Wendy Duncalfe
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic and gripping novel by this author. Moving between two time periods, it focuses on the story of a character that was first introduced in ‘The Promise’, and how actions and decisions made in the past can affect later generations. Read it, you won’t be disappointed! 😀
Mrs Nicole M Middleton
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good love story without unnecessary distractions or trite observations.
A great tale, told simply as a voyage of discovery and the triumph of love over death and destruction.
Zoe Harrison
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emotional rollercoaster

I became so invested in the characters that I found myself at work longing for the next opportunity to see what happened next. I've laughed out loud and sobbed into my pillow. Beautifully written book.
ann rhodes
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing,romance.mystery

The characters came to live, you had to keep reading, the romance and love for all sent shivers down you spine.
Couldn't put the book down , had to keep reading to see how and why it all came about the Locket.
Dalene W.
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story

Ruth Saberton has written a lovely story that takes place in the present and also during WWI. Her characters are so real life. We are all pieces of the ancestors who came before us.
Sue
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The vivid descriptions and well developed characters transported me to that WW1 time period. Great granddaughter learned about her family secrets as she found letters and pictures from her great grandmother.
Judy
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Richly written

You’ll relish this story of love, loss and courage. The past lives in the present with many lessons to learn. The beautiful language paints a rich picture of a lost world and how a family story is revealed and a secret mystery unfolds.
tina bryant
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read but you'll need tissues

This story is such a page turner. Well written you feel you personally know the characters. Written with such emotion I needed tissues. Shame it had to come to an end.

• Chances Are (The Pacific Bay, #1)
  • Birthright
  • A Soldier's Wife
  • The Color of a Silver Lining (The Color of Heaven #13)
  • Everything We Lost (The Hamilton Series, #1)
  • The Beach Bar
  • The Island Affair (Love on the Island, #1)
  • They Call Me Crazy (Cass Adams #1)
  • Orphan Train Christmas (Hearts on the Rails, #3)
  • Loving Harry
  • Keep Calm and Carry On, Children
  • Just South of Paradise (Willow Beach Inn #1)
  • The Castle by the Loch (Loch Lannick Book 2)
  • When Comes The Joy (A New Start, #1)
  • The Cliffside Inn (Five Island Cove Book 3)
  • A Dream to Believe In (Sweet River, #1)
  • Strange Karma
  • Santa Lucia
Ruth Saberton is a bestselling British author with over 25 books written under her own and pen names. Her books feature romance and secrets and are set in beautiful Cornwall.
Her latest book THE LETTER is available now!

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruth-Saberto...
Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

Ruth loves to to talk to her readers. Interact with her on her website www.ruthsa