Jump to ratings and reviews

RENEWAL: Your unexpected role in saving the planet

Is the human race conclusively set for self-annihilation? As futurists prophesize, are we only decades away from extinguishing the planet? Or are we capable of changing this trajectory because of what YOU start today?

Renewal is about how each one of us can:
a. Renew ourselves at a body-mind-spirit level
b. Renew our society and our environment and
c. Renew the systems we operate with

As of 2020, Renewal is critical, because it is our laxity that has led to the current state of rising personal illness, mindless lifestyles, social degeneration, environmental degradation, and overall moral decay.

Written to serve as a practical guide for everyone’s day-to-day ‘karma,’ Renewal is set in the lives of a modern-day family. It is strung together by the charismatic Guru Pranachandra, whose discourse drives home the vital message: that the world is a mere 30 habits away from Renewal.

Adopters of these habits will be the future Renewalists, who could well outnumber the Vegans, Buddhists, Technologists and Catholics in times to come. And it is these Renewalists who hold the key to save the world from annihilation.

240 pages, Paperback

2 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
June 15, 2020
Renewal: Your Unexpected Role in Saving the Planet
Sandeep Nath

Review by Barbara Bamberger Scott

“So all we need to do, to develop good habits, is to make a subconscious connection and find a replacement trigger. It is that simple.”

Sandeep Nath, author (Arrive At Success) and Inner Power Coach, has created an inspirational strategy for saving the world one mind at a time.

A small family group has lived abroad and returned to their native India; they have their differences, but are bound together by their admiration for Guru Pranachandra, whom they have invited to a soiree at a Delhi home where all will listen, rapt, to his wisdom. Who would have imagined that he would offer so much in just a few hours?

Pranachandra’s message starts small: we all operate by consciousness, but no one really knows what that means; yet by learning to understand it, we can improve our lives from the smallest and most mundane aspect to the salvation of the planet. He poses one of many questions for his devotees: “Why don’t we generate a consciousness renewal for our own life, even while we live it?” As he gradually expands this spiritually revolutionary theme, he will keep it simple, using logical examples that all can easily grasp. We can develop good habits, he says, using a “replacement trigger” to hold them in place. He goes on to expound, in a series of tens – ten habits for self-renewal, ten for symbiotic renewal, and ten for systemic renewal – how this crucial change can take place.

The Renewal habits urge us to adopt simple, mindful practices, including such basics as smiling inside and stretching while you laze in bed, to buying concentrates to save the energy expended in packaging, to making daily and monthly resolutions. He advises respecting and learning from elders and investing energy in younger people. A “10-minute rule” for energy sources requires using water and electricity only in short bursts; internet use should be maintained, but human communication should also be incorporated – phone calls and face-to-face meetings. Plant trees, gift plants, tidy up, get rid of extraneous clothing and generally “cut object dependency.” Start a routine in Qigong and share it with others. These guidelines, carefully delineated by Nath in numerical order and explained in engaging detail by his central character, will alter not only our consciousness but also the thoughts and feelings of those around us, and will have a positive effect on stressed global energies.

As Nath illustrates through the guru’s insights and the effect that they have on his enthralled audience, Renewal can become a movement, literally beginning at grassroots level. The Renewal emblem he has devised contains an ankh, symbol of life, emerging from a circle, graced with sprouting leaves. It could be, the author suggests, a symbol of power, of an explosion ready to happen, or a “fragrance, which purifies all.” Having completed this work, seemingly precognitively, just prior to the outbreak of Covid-19, Nath is hopeful that it will provide a critical wake-up call to concerned individuals who will share it within their communities and institutions to evoke an evolution of vitally needed planetary change. (Contact for further information at http://renewalism.com)
283 reviews37 followers
July 5, 2020
I wasn’t sure what to expect from the book because of its unique title, Renewal. It turned out to be an insightful yet immensely practical guide to reboot one’s life with an eye towards preventing self-destruction.

The entire book is in the form of a discourse delivered by the charismatic Guru Pranachandra. This is a clever way to hook the interest of readers and keep them reading further.

The author uses simple language to deliver a powerful message with remarkable clarity and impact. Examples are drawn from various aspects of everyday life, making the message relatable and actionable.

For instance, the Guru says,

“We have unfortunately cultivated the habits of valuing the things we make – like phones and cars, rather than the things we were gifted by nature – like our minds, air, water, and stuff. This warped value-system is what we can change by simple habit-switches.”

In the preface, the author mentions that with the onset of the pandemic, the message in this book becomes all the more important–and I agree with him. A temporary pause in human activity has helped nature recover quite a bit, which is at the core of what the Guru is talking about — renewal.

There’s a subtle call to action in nearly every page —

“You play your unexpected role in re-embracing ancient wisdom and practices and bringing common-sensical aspects of it into your daily routines.”

It isn’t possible to absorb everything that the book has to offer in a single reading, and I recommend that readers take time to pause after every chapter or so and think it over before moving on.

The tone of the book is insightful, non-preachy, immersive, and even humorous in some places. What I found striking was that even though the Guru’s teachings are deep and meaningful, they are not abstract. They are practical and can be immediately applied to one’s life.

The author presents the Guru’s unique take on concepts like mindfulness, meditation, “obfuscation,” oneness, objectivity, Say-Do-Be harmony, the Parrot, and so on. There are references to people who currently influence thought, such as Greta Thunberg and Yuval Harari.

The bulk of the book talks about habits that are needed for what the Guru calls self-renewal, symbiotic renewal, and systemic renewal.

Important concepts are summarized in text boxes, making it easy to recap what you’ve read.
A snapshot of the 30 habits is also given at the end for quick reference.
This book is worth reading for its pragmatic approach to developing habits today that will halt the path of self-destruction that humans have currently taken.

(I received an ARC from Reedsy Discovery in exchange for an honest review.)

Profile Image for Annabel Harz.
Author 2 books3 followers
October 11, 2020
Renewal captures the global zeitgeist. Sandeep Nath states, “the cover of this book has my name on it, but I am not the author. I am the scribe for Guru Pranachandra, who is a manifestation of energy”. The index gives the impression that it is another self-help book that will save ourselves and our planet. It is all this, and much more.
The format is engaging: a narrative introduces the characters and their roles in each other’s lives before moving into a talk by Guru Pranachandra, in which the systemic habits are delivered. There are ten each for Self-Renewal (individuals’ highest potential), Symbiotic Renewal (community health) and Systemic Renewal (environmental health). With “Aha!” moments in every chapter, they are delivered through a wealth of acronyms and tips which allow for easier integration. Key quotes in large-font boxes present the most pertinent information clearly. This resource, a practical guidebook for life, can be dipped into whenever people feel the need for spiritual realignment.
The information invites introspection. Snippets of the story, focusing on individual characters’ thoughts, provide a break from this level of cognition while strengthening the feeling of actually being present in Guruji’s audience. Evocative descriptions of Pranachandra’s movements and facial expressions add to the immediacy of the scenario, as do his often-playful responses to the questions from audience members. The narrative’s unfolding reveals a mystery, which would have benefitted from greater clarity; some of the twists and turns were confusing.
The text would also have benefitted from closer editing: it was sometimes difficult to tell when the Guru stopped talking and the narrator started. This does not diminish the content, although it does make it slightly harder to access.
This extraordinary text deserves space and time for its reading – and re-reading.
The take-home message is that “in everything, there is a trinity of body, mind and spirit” which draws the habits of Self-Renewal, Symbiotic Renewal and Systemic Renewal together. This mirrors the detailed explanation of the cover graphic and sets the scene for the type of information to come.
Renewal is for anyone experiencing helplessness. As the Guru states, “your inner power multiplies when you share it… for you are born with all you need for yourself”. Take this opportunity to be the best that you can be and contribute the most that you can contribute, to yourself and the world around you.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.