Start by marking “Greenlights” as Want to Read:
Greenlights

Greenlights

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  9,928 ratings  ·  1,677 reviews
From the Academy Award®–winning actor, an unconventional memoir filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction

I’ve been in this life for fifty years, been trying to work out its riddle for forty-two, and been keeping diaries of clues to that riddle for the last thirty-five. Notes about successes and fail
Published October 20th 2020 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Greenlights, please sign up.
Caitlin Harbison Hi! I just finished and funnily enough I’m a 7th grade teacher! There is some cursing in some of the stories but not in all. There are a couple drug r…moreHi! I just finished and funnily enough I’m a 7th grade teacher! There is some cursing in some of the stories but not in all. There are a couple drug references (marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine). I don’t think anything about it is offensive— it perhaps is a little too mature for a 14 year old... but I would say fine for other ages. It’s really entertaining and funny— I wouldn’t describe it as crass at all. (less)

·  9,928 ratings  ·  1,677 reviews

Start your review of Greenlights
Elyse  Walters
Shelves: audiobook
I LOVED IT!!!!!!
isn’t that enough? FANTASTIC storytelling...
MEMORABLE STORIES you ‘won’t’ forget.
Mathew is not only a great actor, he’s a GREAT AUTHOR!!!
HE CAN WRITE!!!!
For readers who think this book isn’t for you—-you just might surprise yourself.

Its soooooo engaging!!!
I didn’t want miss a word!!!!

I loved, loved, loved, loved it!!!!
YOU’ll LOVE IT!!!!! I Promise!!!!!!
“Greenlights”..... 🟢 is a wonderful gift to ‘thyself’.

🟢Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢

Thank you, Mathew.......
....
Gabby
Really enjoyed this one. I really love Matthew McConnaughey as a human and as an actor so I was really excited to hear he wrote a book! I listened to the audiobook and his narration is absolutely fantastic, if you decide to read this book you HAVE to go with the audiobook, his voice is amazing and his narration was so fun I was smiling like an idiot most of the time reading this.

Only reason I knocked off a star is because I wasn’t a huge fan of the self-help parts of this book, I was more intere
Marlana Williams
My suggestion is to listen to the audiobook so that you can get wrapped up in that warm, friendly, country-boy voice of his as if he is talking directly to you. My suggestion is also to listen in a quiet environment because Matthew is not an overbearing narrator.

What you'll get are some the wonderful interjections of laughter and a few "wooo"s to let you know that Matthew is a genuine human being, very humble of his own fame. Even better, he's very intelligent. There are many passages that can
Toni Parvin
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Alright alright alright...5 easy breezy stars. It felt like I sat around with him over a glass of scotch and he told me stories of his life. He’s witty, funny, smooth, and worked his literary skills through my heart. I laughed out loud, I paused to write down deep truths that resonated with me, and I face palmed at some of his antics. Do yourself a favor and listen to the Audible, he narrates! Oh yes!!!

His life has been interesting, to say the least. I love his passion to constantly be
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ahhhhhh...I am totally listening to Matthew McConaughey! ❤️ Holy crap! Review to come...Alright... Alright...Alright...
Claudia
It’s a love letter. To life.

Indeed it is. McConaughey is a guy who really pursued his dreams. (view spoiler)

What I most liked about his writing is that it's not polished: his thoughts, adventures, stories, all are raw, spiced more often than not with humor and self-irony. He is charming, funny, thoughtfu
Mediaman
A rambling book with great stories but flawed execution. McConaughey was a C student in college, claiming he was normally an A student but wanted to devote time to real world instead of books, and at the end of this books says he'd rather "take an experienced C over an ignorant A any day." Well, this book is a C at best and could have been an A if he would have been less self-satisfied and allowed others to guide him to objective conclusions. Instead it's all about subjective Matthew living his ...more
Mandy White
Alright, Alright, Alright! Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey....what can I say?

This book was fun, it was entertaining, it was interesting. It made me laugh so much and it broke my heart. Matthew has been one of my favourite actors since A Time To Kill. I loved hearing his behind the scenes stories about making his movies.

But it is so much more than that. Matthew really is a born storyteller. Greenlights covers his life from being a kid right up to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is stories from his
Joshua Lawson
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
On the one hand, I read this book in less than two days over the course of a rainy weekend.

On the other hand, I have been keeping notebooks in which I wax poetic since I was eighteen and this book has inspired me to never ever share them with anyone.
Cori
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5 Stars to this book. I loved hearing Matthew read his own book. He added his signature voice, animation, and laughs and made this book absolutely perfect. Its a memoir and personal reflection and humor and even a bit philosophical. I looked forward to listening. He owned his mistakes (and laughed at himself at times) and was not negative, he was always looking for ways to grow and improve himself. I have nothing but respect for him and this will be one of my Top 5 books of 2020. I Highly Recomm ...more
britt_brooke
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oh lord, was this annoying. I love a good celebrity memoir, but not when riddled with self-help tidbits. If McConaughey had stuck to personal essays without all the cheesy, self-satisfactory interjections (“prescription!” and “note to self!” and “bumper sticker!”), I’d have liked it more, even though the stories themselves felt very anecdotal and lacked depth. Unless you’re a massive fan, I can’t recommend.
Kay
“We cannot fully appreciate the light without the shadows. We have to be thrown off balance to find our footing. It’s better to jump than fall. And here I am.”

I didn't plan on listening/reading this book. I wasn't interested because the overwhelming PR before the release and I thought I heard and read too many bits and parts that I no longer need to read this memoir. But... I grabbed it because it was available on Libby and O. M. G. I am glad that I did. This was so good!

It is raw. It is funny
Cindy
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another narcissistic actor who loves to hear himself talk! This book was very preachy and about as deep as a paper cut! What have I learned about Matthew? I've learned that I never want to be stuck in a room with him!
Seth Turner
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Not your typical biography. Filled with nuggets of insight. Profound letters, prose, and poetry. McConaughey shows not only his life and the “greenlight” moments, he dives deep into himself with his most vulnerable essence. A joy to read.
Katie B
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like celeb memoirs, you gotta read this one.

Full review coming soon.
Evie
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alright, alright, alright.

I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoyed this one. I didn't expect to, I was skeptical to say the least, but I ended up loving the heck out of the audiobook narrated by Matthew himself.

This one is quite a treat. Full of insightful little thoughts and proclamations, quirky stories (that are almost unbelievable, tho completely and amazingly believable because they did happen), anecdotes, humor.. It was just so pleasant a book to listen to. A great insight into Matthew's past,
Hannah Degn
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
McConaughey is at his best in his own life and it's a whole lotta fun to be along for the ride. I loved listening to it, but I will also probably buy it because I actually think he's not only an amazing actor and person (lol @me fangirling hard!) but I think he's proved himself to be a great writer as well.
Sara
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Matthew McConaughey is one heck of a story teller!
I listened to this on audio book and was truly engaged the whole way through.
This book is raw, witty, insightful, uplifting and had me laughing out loud

And lets be honest, with that voice, I would listen to McConaughey read the phone book!
Kevin
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm only half way through the audiobook but had to pause and write a review. I will finish it by this evening but have already heard enough to say this is the best autobiography I have ever listened to. McConaughey narrates his book and the performance is outstanding to say the least.

I was on the fence at first about even giving it a listen, thinking it probably won't be my cup of tea. The first 10 minutes or so, I was beginning to think just that. Then it all changed and I was hooked. It's ver
Keven Wang
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book needs to be consumed in audiobook form. With the stories and the accents
Leah
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Alright alright alright... Interesting to hear about Matthew's childhood, teenage years, adult years, successful years, years of love, years of searching for meaning.

Matthew is an entertainer by trade and he has a very unique charismatic way of speaking that's just so Matthew. He's a poet that can smooth talk quickly and is pretty witty.

This book didn't affect me at the core or anything hence the 3/5. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't impactful for me. Maybe because I'm not an actor, not a man, not
Kerry Pickens
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
This is more a summary of a journal than a book, but its as interesting as our cultural icons get, and being native son of my part of the world there is plenty I can relate to.
sam
Shelves: audio
YOU CANNOT MISS THE AUDIBLE VERSION OF THIS BOOK!
read by the man himself
Mellie Antoinette
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super enjoyable as an audiobook, BUT ...

If your looking for in depth, details about McConaughey, the actor, this will disappoint you. This is non-linear reflections on the first half of a life well-lived. This is about a son, a father, an individual figuring it out. The concept of identifying life’s Greenlights is a pretty neat concept.
Lori
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Scottsdale Public Library
Unwavering in his convictions, uninhibited in his narrations, and so wonderfully unapologetic in his ruminations; McConaughey has most definitely added another gem, this time in written form, to his “McConaissance.”

Granted, I am biased. I believed between the ages of 16 and 24 I was going to marry this man, but nonetheless, I don’t see how anyone could not love McConaughey’s “playbook” of armchair philosophy, crass Texan anecdotes, and natural charm in this surprisingly impassioned memoir.
Well
Sam (AMNReader)
Nov 13, 2020 marked it as to-listen-tbr  ·  review of another edition
You are 100% incorrect if you don't think I'm gonna listen to this man narrate his book.

(I mean, his sleep story!)

Rob Eelkema
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, if I have ever felt emasculated, it would be if I was compared to Matthew McConaughey 😳. The guy has had a charmed life (not always easy) but a charmed life to say the least. I enjoyed this book with some areas a bit more philosophical than I would connect with (I felt like I disconnected a bit during those moments in the book); however some of the stories made me laugh out loud. I need to see more of his movies after reading the book....the main interest in wanting to read the book was mo ...more
Thomas Hefke
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Boy. Alright, alright, alright. Did I enjoy this book! I love that the author reads / acts the audiobook himself. Great lessons about life / family / work and finding your inner self 👌
Play Book Tag: Greenlights - Matthew McConaughey - 4 stars 3 12 Nov 25, 2020 10:00AM

• It
  • Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • An End to Upside Down Living: Reorienting Our Consciousness to Live Better and Save the Human Species
  • An End to Upside Down Thinking: Why Your Assumptions about the Material World Are No Longer Scientifically True
  • Outlawed
  • Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)
  • Cypress Point
  • Berserk, Vol. 1
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • V for Vendetta
  • Batman: Year One
  • Al Capone: His Life, Legacy, and Legend
  • Between the World and Me
  • Fool Me Once
  • The Genius of Birds
Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey is a married man, a father of three children, and a loyal son and brother. He considers himself a storyteller by occupation, believes it's okay to have a beer on the way to the temple, feels better with a day's sweat on him, and is an aspiring orchestral conductor.

In 2009, Matthew and his wife, Camila, founded the just keep livin Foundation, which he

News & Interviews

“Don’t walk into a place like you wanna buy it, walk in like you own it.” 10 likes
“I believe the truth is only offensive when we're lying.” 8 likes