Start by marking “Iron Widow (Iron Widow, #1)” as Want to Read:
Iron Widow (Iron Widow, #1)

Iron Widow

(Iron Widow #1)

The boys of Huaxia dream of pairing up with girls to pilot Chrysalises, giant transforming robots that can battle the mecha aliens that lurk beyond the Great Wall. It doesn't matter that the girls often die from the mental strain.

When 18-year-old Zetian offers herself up as a concubine-pilot, it's to assassinate the ace male pilot responsible for her sister's death. But
Expected publication: September 21st 2021 by Penguin Teen

Start your review of Iron Widow (Iron Widow, #1)
Xiran Zhao
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
ENFORCE YOUR LAST PATHETIC GENDER ROLE, PATRIARCHY

Been seeing some confusion about this so thought I'd clarify here: this book is not historical fantasy or alternate history! It's a story set in a totally different sci-fi world with characters who are only inspired by historical figures from across Chinese history (not just the Tang dynasty). Lots of creative liberties were taken for thematic purposes, so the characters largely only resemble the historical figures in personality and general viii
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
this book looked at the tired jealousy-ridden love triangle trope & said "hold my beer, i'll make ALL THREE of them fall in love with EACH OTHER" ...more
mina reads™️
Mar 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: about-poc, polyam, ya-mg
Polyam instead of love triangles in YA? I can’t wait!
But this is inspired by Pacific Rim and East Asian myth!!!!!! I’m hype
Melanie
Sep 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
i added this book to my tbr because of this tweet, but then while doing so I saw all my friends screaming "polyamorous love triangle ending" and now I want this more than anything. :]

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch
Elle (ellexamines)
Apr 01, 2020 marked it as 2021
GOOD FOR HER
Shealea
Apr 02, 2020 marked it as might-read
Y'ALL!!!

✨ Inspired by East Asian mythology?
✨ Pitched as Pacific Rim meets The Handmaid's Tale?
✨ A young woman trying to smash the patriarchy with her own two hands?
✨ A love triangle that ends with a healthy, polyamorous relationship?
✨ Revenge-driven plot?

This book is so queer and Asian, and none of us is ready for the flavor it's about to bring to the world.

Iron Widow to the straights:

Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
pilots and pacific rim. those are my key words when it comes to sci fi books now i guess.

ALL THESE ASIAN INSPIRED SCI FI BOOKS ARE MAKING ME FEEL ALIVE.

ohmygosh she has 2 boyfriends and those boyfriends are also boyfriends. I'M SO INTERESTED. I NEED THIS.

april 10 2021: DO YOU GUYS SEE THIS COVER? BEAUTIFUL.

12/03/20: I'm reading this. I'm claiming it. Do yourself a favor and anticipate this east asian mecha story with some healty poly rep with me
Rebecca Schaeffer
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this book, and you guys are not ready. Zetian is the take no prisoners heroine we all need, and she will crush everyone who dares to try and push her down.
Sana
Mar 30, 2020 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
Author: FIGHT THE IDEA THAT A LOVE TRIANGLE TANGLED UP IN JEALOUS FIGHTS IS SOMEHOW BETTER THAN 1 THAT ENDS LOVINGLY IN ALL 3 WAYS
Me: YES, LET'S FUCKING FIGHT IT 🙏🙏

Not to mention there are also 'giant magical mecha based on creatures from East Asian myth,' aaaaah

Source
anna grace
oh my god this book is based on east asian mythology AND has poly rep i’m very very excited
jenny✨
i am a simple gal. chinese canadian authors make me happy.

Silvia
Mar 18, 2020 marked it as anticipated-2021
Shelves: 2021-september
This sounds badass af and it has polyam rep
Meg Long
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK. Hands down one of the most gripping books with the MOST ferocious main character I have ever, ever read.

I was super lucky and got to read an early version from the author. I had been in a reading slump so to say this ended that slump is an understatement. Wu Zetian grabs you by the throat from the first page with her tenacity and absolute commitment to her goals -- revenge on a murderous prince which then morphs into destroying not only alien invaders but also the all-controlling pat
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
An own-voice YA fantasy/sci-fi duology about China’s only empress, pitched as “Pacific Rim meets The Handmaid’s Tale”, that features a polyamorous relationship? Sign me the hell up!
Meagan ✊🏼 Blacklivesmatter ✊🏼Blacktranslivesmatter
Poly rep!!! 🤯🤯🤯 sign me THE FUCK UP! 🥳🥳🎉🎉 plus one of my all time favorite short stories is about a world where women only serve as sex objects, cleaners and cooks to men who are on long term space missions. And then my girl, the MC, fucking murders the whole crew and makes a life for herself among the stars 😎😎. Can't wait to read this! Sounds so badass! This will probably be my most anticipated release of 2021! ...more
T.A. Chan
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YOUUUUU GUYSSSS

GO GET YOUR HANDS ON THIS F*CKING BOOK. STAT.

IRON WIDOW BLEW MY MIND. To be clear, I read this book during a time in my life when I was hella busy (working an engineering co-op and still going to college and also working on personal job/work stuff) so the fact that I managed to blow through IRON WIDOW in literally 3 days flat should say something about how the story absolutely HOOKED ME AND WOULDN"T LET GO.

Also, this book was supposedly ~100k words. FRIENDS. IT DID NOT FEEL LIKE 1
rachel ☾
it is too early to already have a most anticipated 2021 release? because this is it
♡ jules ♡
this will be the best book of 2021, hands down.
Mary
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Um, I loved literally everything about this.

The world-building, the brilliant, beautiful, flawed characters. The ferocity of their characters and the gentleness of their relationships with each other.

Longer review to come, but for now - y'all are NOT ready. This is so so so so good.
leo | 飛べ
Apr 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
This book sounds like a Mecha version of Shingeki no Kyojin filled with Ancient Chinese myths (I’m not joking. The author said so). I’m in.

Also, love triangles are so 2010s: in the 2020s we leave the straights, and the couples behind for the queer and the throuples. All hail to a girl having boyfriends who are also boyfriends!
Maëlys
Mar 31, 2020 marked it as to-read
I heard this was polyamory and inspired by Pacific Rim and East Asian myth? Count me in.

You can also find me on Youtube & Twitter
vatana 🤡 who is bad at reading
found this book from the author’s live tweets of Mulan 2020 (😩) and i’m so glad i did because this sounds TERRIFIC! this book really says “Ancient China’s only Empress but mecha,” and i respect that. also??? poly rep??? A+++++
Jess Creaden
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story gives me so much life!! First, it’s sci-fi AF in all the best, most exciting ways. The way it re-imagines Chinese history is inspired genius, offering a modern take on a too-often forgotten woman and the men she loved, neatly packaged inside a wildly fresh adventure. (And, yes, reading this sent me trawling through historical accounts.)

I thought I was prepared, as a fan of Pacific Rim and Transformers, but these warrior mechs blow those out of the water. Literally. I couldn't help but
Raquel Flockhart
A YA fantasy book inspired by East Asian mythology, with a MC fighting against the patriarchy and embracing a polyamorous relationship? Sign me up, please.

Instagram | Twitter | Youtube | Tumblr
Virginja ↢ 99% imp
Dec 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
Hear me out.
- The handmaids tale meets Pacific Rim
- Based on the historical figure of the only female Chinese empress
- polyamorous relationship

Do you need anything else?
lune *hurls books into dumpster fires*
Sounds like the perfect mix of Ancient China, Evangelion, and Feminism, you know that I will be zooming here.

*phantom paradise vibes*
Anne
an out-in-the-open healthy poly relationship! I am here for this! (plus a whole load of awesome stuff like mechas and chinese folklore and flipping off the fucking patriarchy!) FUCK YES, I am here for this!
SSShafiq
Sep 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sff, young-adult
I saw the author Mulan video and I liked what she said. I am interested in seeing her take on a retelling. She called this Pacific Rim meets the Handmaid’s Tale retelling of China’s first female emperor ... SOLD!
Zutto
Apr 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
DID YOU JUST SAY PACIFIC RIM MEETS THE HANDMAID TALE IN A EAST ASIAN INSPIRED SETTING? WITH A POLY ROMANCE?!?!? AND SOME WEEBOO SHIT TOO?
WTF END 2020 LET'S GO TO 2021 ALREADY
Georgia Meagher
Mar 30, 2020 marked it as to-read
Did someone say... Pacific Rim??? AKA my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE?????

I didn't know this existed until now but I have an ultimate need.

oh my god.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bad Witch Burning
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Within These Wicked Walls
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Keeper of Night (The Keeper of Night, #1)
  • Seoulmates
  • Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • The Mercies
  • Honey Girl
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • Catherine House
  • Fragile Remedy
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • Macario's Scepter (Magian, #1)
  • Meet You in the Middle
i'm in a cow suit because 7 years ago i made a promise to my friends to take my author photo in it if i ever got published and i'm sure as hell not backing down ...more

Iron Widow (2 books)
  • Untitled (Iron Widow #2)