Start by marking “Lights Out” as Want to Read:
Lights Out

Lights Out

(EMP Survival in a Powerless World #16)

The nation's power grid has failed. Hundreds of millions are left without basic utilities, and the enemy responsible for the EMP's detonation now wreaks havoc throughout the countryside.

After an EMP crisis shakes the foundation of North America, Greenhill, an insignificant town becomes the safe haven for a family.
Published June 16th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Lights Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lights Out

Start your review of Lights Out
Pam Shelton-Anderson
Sometimes I finish a book just to see if I can actually finish it (so I bumped a 1.5 story to a 2 because I did it). First, there were quite a few editing issues. After the EMP, there appear to be well-armed bad guys who are just shooting everyone and blockading the city. This plot goes nowhere and we never see any of this again. My biggest problem was that I could not care about any of the characters. The three main ones were actually criminals, thieves in the process of a getaway when the EMP ...more
Billie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After an EMP explodes over New York, a group of jewelry robbers must choose between the fortune of their lifetime or rescuing their loved ones.

I really enjoyed reading this.
The author has such a way with words.
I felt I was actually seeing every scene unfold in front of me like seeing it as a movie.
Suspenseful and gripping.
Recommend reading.

Pamela L Smith
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story

This was a great story with wonderful characters. Loved the action filled story! I am giving this three stars due to the amount of spelling and grammatical errors! Literally, just about every paragraph has errors. Read your stories before publishing or get someone to do your editing. It really distracts from enjoying the story. Otherwise, I loved it!
Kathleen Seiley
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story

This is a good story about everyday people rising to the challenge of a world in disaster.I would like to read more stories by this author.
Angie
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep. More EMP stuff.

What else would you expect? Really enjoyed this one. It was a bit different than the others. That was nice.
Eula Bustle Nolan
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good easy interesting read.

This book hooks you by the third page in that you want to know how 3 friends whom are family can make it out of NYC alive. And with their four kids.
Elizabeth Duckworth
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Someone just reviewed that "this was a great book with everyday people". I don't think we read the same book! The three lead characters are jewel thieves, they will steal anything that isn't nailed down. They use Foster Parenting where they foster four children as a front. At the time of the EMP the trio (parents and friend) are just stepping out of the jewelry store where they have had a successful heist, with their transportation now inoperable they have to reach home on foot. They also have t ...more
Suzanne Hare
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lawrence, Haley and Dan were just making their escape from robbing a jewelry store when a vehicle crashes into their getaway van but soon all the cars were crashing. They abandon their escape plan and go to walk home. They soon realize that New York was under attack from an E. M. P. pulse. Bombs start and gunfire goes on, pandemonium breaks out. All they can think of getting back to their four foster children and getting out of New York. Survival is now the priority.

This is a great post apocalyp
Jackie
This was a quick read for me as the genre is one of my go to favorites.

The author created a plausible story with very easy to follow characters, their personality quirks and actions fit the plot needs as it unfolded.

The realism of life as we know it ending was well done, the reactions are pretty much what one would expect when society breaks down and anarchy becomes easier to enact.

There are many scenes that are not for the squeamish as the author does not pull the wool over the readers eyes, br
Nena
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! One great book! For an indie writer, this author has some serious writing skills.

The book starts off at page 1 with adrenaline rush action and doesn't let up. I had a hard time putting it down. I also had moments where my heart was pounding, it was that intense.

I would not only recommend this to anyone who is into pulse quickening, heart pounding action packed post-apocalyptic fiction (as I am), but I predict that this author will end up on the best sellers' list at some point if some smar
Maria
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I gave it five stars because the story kept my attention through out the whole story. I really enjoy a book that makes me interested in what will happen next in the lives of the characters. This is a story about Haley, Dan and Lawrence. They are thieves in New York city. Their struggle to survive is very convincing and emotional. Haley's character grows into a good women who fights for those she loves. Read this book you will love it as much as I did.

I received a free copy
Sharon
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has written a wonderful story and made me think about some not so pleasant truths if anything like this were ever to happen. The characters are faced with a situation that they are ill prepared for and have to face a number of moral dilemmas. There is wonderful character development as the story continues and I was completely engrossed in the plot and the characters struggle to come to terms with what had happened and how to survive. This is a brilliant book and I also purchased it fr ...more
Brooklyn Russell
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Good but needs editing

Off to a good start and then they got to town and Haley got more and more annoying. Parts of this story were so infuriating and I had to skip ahead. There’s TONS of grammatical errors. Backwards words. Misspellings. Missing words. Saying someone spoke when another one was supposed to be speaking, etc. Midway through I just started highlighting stuff as my own edits. Anyway, it wasn’t bad, it held my attention and I enjoy the genre. I got through it, it just needed a good ed
Robert L. Derrera
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not, would not, put this one down.

I read this one clear through in one evening. I literally could not stop. At 2 AM I fell asleep and awoke at 5:30 and finished an epic, excellent, thriller. The only thing I would change is the references to the Peters family from Peterses to Peters', it was a small thing but being a person steeped in erudition an unnecessary annoyance that it was not caught in the proofing or editing. Still have it rated a five star read.
Velinda haywood
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating Apocalyptic Yarn

Each major character had their flaws but was well flushed out. Hayley,Dan and Lawrence were childhood friends who grew up to be con-artist and thieves who was always looking for the next best thing. The story line seemed believable but I didn't like the way Hayley talked down to Dan whenever he voiced his opinion on anything she disagreed on. All in all great job.
Scarolet Ellis
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EMP: Surviving the Collapse by J.S Donovan is an awesome story that I have loved reading very much. I loved reading this box set so much and I highly recommend this awesome story to everyone who loves reading about thiller, suspense and military science fiction in their stories.

Jeanna Maines
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good book but a hard read.

It was very hard to stick with this book to the end. It had many good page Turner parts but they were short lived died out fast and it drug out way too long until the next exciting part. I think it would take an avid reader to see it through and not give up and find another book to read.
Barbara J. Wade
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story

Well written but this is the first ebook I have ever read with so many typos. So many I had to re-read many sentences to try to figure out what the author meant. Great read though.
Diane Maggie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book.

Not a group of people that you imagine you'd root for, but they win your heart.

They showed more vulnerability than I expected. But that's a good change of pace in a genre where most main characters are hard & cynical from the jump.
Elaine Plourde
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good EMP story. I liked the honesty in Haleys feelings about why she was like she was and the way the kids finally understood.
TINA LATHAM
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced

Enjoyed the book. Liberals should definitely read this book so they have a good idea what they have to look forward to in the near future.
Survival of the fittest.

billy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Boring!!!

It was a free book but hey, it is what it is. Boring and a little off kilter. Not for me.
Michelle Barkley
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always a fav author! Now even more so

Loved this new book. The characters all came to life and the story of the EMP, that we all must come to terms with, was woven in perfectly.
Karen Simmons
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent 😀

I was captured from the first page. Enjoyed the book a lot. Want to read more. Will tell others about this book
susan newland
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

I found that this book was one of the most "realistic" post apocalyptic books I have read... Thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing
Victoria Owens
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good read

Good read, good characters. About half way through l thought I knew where this was going and then it made a sharp turn I wouldn't have guessed. Nice finish.
Beverly Kee
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, heck of a read!

This was one of those edge of your chair books! You can't put it down until you get to the end, even if it is 4:10am! Very good storyline!
Rene Rowland
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

Well it is almost 4 am and I started this 4 hours ago. I guess I liked it ! !
Bernie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lights Out review

Lights Out: E. M. P. Survival in a Powerless World is a fast paced post apocalyptic survival book written by author J. S. Donovan.
Peggy Pancherz
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Read all of the books in order to really enjoy. Storyline continues to grow and develop. Characters are realistic and get better and better.

• The Last Cabin
  • The Longest Night
  • EMP Shelter In Place
  • Broken Lines: EMP Survival (EMP Survival in a Powerless World- Series Book 1)
  • The Pulse
  • Static (EMP Survival in a Powerless World- Series Book 2)
  • The Final Homestead
  • Hunted (Days of Want #2)
  • EMP Days of Terror (EMP Post Apocalyptic Survival Book 2)
  • Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)
  • The Final Stand
  • Turmoil (Days of Want #3)
  • Seeking Refuge (Gateway to Chaos #2)
  • Overfall (Broken Tide #1)
  • The Last Stand
  • Fractured Coast (Broken Tide Book 2)
  • No Power
  • Storm's Fury (Storm's Fury #1)

EMP Survival in a Powerless World (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Broken Lines Omnibus
  • Static Omnibus
  • The Final Stand
  • Surviving the Collapse
  • Blackout (EMP Survival in a Powerless World #5)
  • Aftermath