Start by marking “The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass” as Want to Read:

The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass

Even teenage assassins have dreams.

Eli isn’t just a teenage girl — she’s a made-thing the witches created to hunt down ghosts in the human world. Trained to kill with her seven magical blades, Eli is a flawless machine, a deadly assassin. But when an assignment goes wrong, Eli starts to question everything she was taught about both worlds, the Coven, and her tyrannical wit
Expected publication: October 6th 2020 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass, please sign up.
Kendra Many of the characters are queer: the main character is queer, there is a gay secondary character, and non-binary love interest. The romance is tame, …moreMany of the characters are queer: the main character is queer, there is a gay secondary character, and non-binary love interest. The romance is tame, more implied than demonstrative.(less)

Start your review of The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nope. Sorry. The fantasy book I was hoping to read cannot be found at this moment. Please try again later. Bippp!

I pushed myself too hard to like this book but it was exhausting and tormenting experience. I was so hopeful after seeing the fantastic artsy, beautiful cover and promising plot about teenage assassin chasing the ghosts in the human world. But… yes… I try to be soft grader when it comes to debut novels. I tried to be patient that at some part, the story will turn into something meani
NAT.orious reads ☽
2 STARS at best ★★✩✩✩
This book is for you if… you fall in love first and foremost with the characters. It wasn't for me but I feel this might be exactly what some readers might need.

Overall.
Ugh. What is going ONNNNah.

You know when you didn't enjoy a book and don't care although you feel like you should? Well, I didn't really enjoy this book but am honestly livid that I don't. I had high hopes, fueled by the cover and the powerful preface Adan gave their readers.

I really, really, reall
Melanie (mells_view)
Magic is meant to be chaos. Chaos is beautiful!

The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass by Adan Jerreat-Poole caught my eye with that simple yet beautiful cover, and reeled me in with the promise of an intriguing Frankenstein’s monster-esqe teenage assassin main character, and the busting down the Coven’s tyrannical reign over the City of Ghosts and the City of Eyes plot line. I feel like this author has a very lyrical writing style mixed with a young vibe. The City of Eyes gave me a Labyrinth type visual
Miranda
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass by Adan Jerreat-Poole immediately caught my eye because of its cover. However, it is also described as a book fans of The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert would enjoy, so I was drawn to it even more. I went in only knowing that the book was set in a fantasy world with witches and assassins.

The novel follows Eli, a teenaged assassin that was created by witches in the City of Eyes to hunt ghosts. She acc
Angela Staudt
Mar 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

1.5 stars.

I don’t really know what I just read. So many aspects didn’t make sense, and the story was just kind of all over the place. From the synopsis I thought this was going to be an incredible story about this assassin who was made by witches to go into the human world and kill ghosts. It wasn’t really that, but I couldn’t tell you what it was either.

I love fantasy books because of the world building and descriptions. This b
Patty (IheartYA)
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-net-galley
The cover art and premise are amazing, but unfortunately the story itself fell short due to lack of substance and heart. It felt like the plot was having an identity crisis, trifled by misdirection and confusion. For the most part the writing style was interesting and original. Character development and world building were very close to being finely polished. Due to the storyline having an excruciating flawed execution, I had to give this 2 stars.

Thank you to netgalley for providing a copy for r
Kelly
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it

I'm sorry. I wanted to like this book but while this book has a great cover and a lot of LGBTQ+ representation, sadly, it failed to deliver a good fantasy plot (in my opinion). The world-building was lacking if non-existent. The idea of having a world of witches above our own with a vortex to go from one to the other was interesting but it wasn't enough for me. I needed to know more and things happened but it felt weird and not a lot were explained.

About the characters : Eli is a girl
Courtney
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
On the struggle bus with this one.

I feel like this reading this book was like eating a half baked cake. The ingredients are there but the author did not stir the batter long enough and lumpy bits were left throughout. I liked the premise of the two worlds but time was not taken in the development of the City of Eyes World. At times, I was left thoroughly confused. Additionally, characters seemed to appear one minute and are gone the next. Overall, I felt like some more ironing out was needed.

AR
Alexia | Right Writing Words
description

The description of this book made me so excited for it, not to mention that the cover is beautiful.

One of the strangest things about this book for me is the fact that the title is literal. There is literally a girl made partly of hawthorn and glass. The girl was literally built by using things such as hawthorn, glass, and other stuff. So, this is the first time I’ve read a book where the title is literal.

This story and world have the potential to be amazing. It’s weird, it’s different, it’s fant
Aly
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Huge shout out to this book for having great LGBTQ representation! Non-binary, gay, and queer main characters really added to the story and made me personally happy.
The plot has a lot of potential and I like the idea of it. A girl made out of objects and brought to life by a witch's magic to be an assassin is a cool concept. I felt like the story stayed on the surface and things went by so quickly. I would love to see this dive deeper into the City of Eyes, the Coven, and the Children. Get more
Taylor Knight
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was so excited for this book, I wanted to like it, I gave it so many chances. But this book, in my opinion, is not even close to be ready to be published. This reads like a first draft. I like the overall concept, which is why I gave it two stars, but everything else needs work. The plot is confusing, not completely thought out, lacks any kind of direction. Even after finishing this book, I don't know what actually happened. I couldn’t explain the storyline at all.
I really appreciated the non
Julia
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I received The Girl of Hawthorn a Glass as an eARC, so thank you to #NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review it.

I was excited at the concept of the story - a girl who wasn’t totally human, created by her witch ‘mother’ from granite and blood and hawthorn and glass and human bones, as a weapon essentially, an assassin who can travel between worlds, and also between the creases in each world. Along the way she finds a soul and a conscience and makes some human (or maybe
Fanna
Mar 11, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
March 12, 2020: It is being called perfect for fans of The Hazel Wood and I did like that book so looking forward to reading this one. Especially since it offers non-binary characters in a queer romance, AND a group of misfits, witches, and ghosts saving the world. Thank you, Dundurn Press for the digital review copy via Netgalley! ...more
Francisca Pinto
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalleyarcs
I recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is really amazing! I really like it buuuuut... that end it feels like just ok.
Eli is a pet witch who was created to be a ghost assasin, she can't think, talk without permisson or even think in a independent life, she is only an "object". But one day everything change when she failed in one of her missions and then she can't return, or she is going to be dissarmed.

The first 50% of the book was awesome! I really love El
Adrianne
Feb 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
description

What a shame, I really wanted to enjoy this story, but if anyone asked me what this was about I would have nothing to say! The story was chaotic and I could not get into it at all. The only thing I liked was the fact there were non-binary characters within the story, which was a first for me. The premise was quite exciting, and the reason why I picked it up in the first place.
However, at some point I found myself confused to the point that I did not know if I was reading about something from th
Vignesh Kumar
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
I got this e-copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oh. My. God! This book dragged me so bloody much. I really really wanted to like this book but couldn't get myself enough to like it. What caught my eye initially was that gorgeous cover and word witches but alas, what they say is true. Do NOT judge a book by its cover.

Our main character is made by a witch as an assassin to hunt down things and ghosts but when an assignment goes wrong, she questions everything around her.
Milena Nová
Apr 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-more, meh
Every time I review books I truly wish that I'll like them. However, this was not this case at all.
This book has a lot of mistakes. Most of the characters are dull. Though I appreciate that there are a lot of lgbt+ characters, it doesn't change the fact that the main character's personality is blank, so the only one I actually liked was Tav.

The pacing of this book is really slow and it doesn't help that the plot is short and most of the time about nothing. Which means that I was so bored when I
Ariel
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Adan Jerreat-Poole
3.5/5 Stars

I got an ARC of this book for an honest review so here it is! This book had an amazing beginning, I was instantly hooked by the characters, what our protagonist Eli had just done, and who she was. I was very pleased with the beginning of what could be a great story.

Before I address the issues I have with this book, I would like to say that I love the cover and how it can stand out in a crowd of other books. I love the colour palette us
Hannah | Katarama Reads
“Even teenage assassins have dreams.

Eli isn’t just a teenage girl — she’s a made-thing the witches created to hunt down ghosts in the human world. Trained to kill with her seven living blades, Eli is a flawless machine, a deadly assassin. But when an assignment goes wrong, Eli starts to question everything she was taught about both worlds, the Coven, and her tyrannical witch-mother.

Terrified that she’ll be unmade for her mistake, Eli seeks refuge with a group of human and witch renegades. With t
Charlie Marie
Apr 26, 2020 is currently reading it
me: does an awkwardly enthusiastic dance! I got an arc!!

Also, there are teen assassins and witch renegades! Also also, look at the cover! Sooo good!
Ruth
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Dundurn and NetGalley for providing me with an electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I should also note that I have a personal connection with the author.

I really enjoyed The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass and flew through it in less than 24 hours. (I even read it standing on the subway!) I found Jerreat-Poole’s writing unique in the way they captivated my senses with their use of rich smells, colours and elemental ‘ingredients’ like the hawthorn and glass, obs
Brittany Smith
Feb 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
dnf-ed at 79%.
I wanted DESPERATELY to like this book but I just.... didn’t, at all. I wanted to stop reading at 30% but decided to keep giving it a chance. It let me down.
Good things: pretty much all of the characters are LGBT+ and it WAS a fairly unique fantasy idea. That’s basically (unfortunately) it.
I had zero feelings about the characters, I was not invested in the plot, the plot/conflict was murky AT BEST, the characters had no clear personalities, everything that happened was just like “o
Claire Tacon
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend! Eli, a witch's assassin, is such a compelling character that I had trouble putting the book down. The stakes are high right from the start, the world building is super-imaginative and the setting is richly described ("The Vortex shifted, the core growing darker, as black as dead eyes and the hole in the head of a needle. The darkness threaded Eli through the fabric between the human city and the witch city.").

This is a wonderful novel that walks the line between fantasy and ho
Tamera
I was incredibly excited to be selected to receive an ARC of The Girl of Hawthorne and Glass by Adan Jerreat-Poole- queer inclusive fantasy with a strong female lead and lots of magic? Yes,. please. Sign me up! And this book certainly did not disappoint when it comes to inclusivity, gayness, strong women, or magic. Those boxes were all checked and wrapped in some of the best prose I have read in quite some time.

While I really enjoyed the book and storytelling as a whole, there were times when I
Brandy {The Review Booth}
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LGBTQ, witches, low fantasy, young adult
Recommended to Brandy by: NetGalley
As a witch-made teenage assassin Eli was born to hunt down and dispose of the ghosts that plague the human plane. She armed only with her wits, seven enchanted blades and a glamour of a normal human teenager. Her recent mission has unintended and surprising consequences causing Eli to begin questioning the rhetoric she'd consumed about both worlds from her oppressive witch-mother and the Coven itself.

With the possibility of being unmade looming over her for her transgression, Eli lets her guard
Bex
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
Eli is an assassin, designed at the moment of her making to be able to peel back the veil between the human world and that of the witches who created her. Her primary role, as with any assassin, is to murder her mark but this is tricky since her marks are already dead. When Eli fails to kill a ghost in the human world, she is trapped there by her vicious mother until she is able to complete her task, and almost accidentally seeks refuge with a group of renegades.

The plot is quite broken up, but
May 15, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc
I received a free e-ARC of this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review. Thank you, Dundurn Press!

I hate leaving a book unfinished -- I've only done it to one other novel in the past -- but unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy this one and had to stop reading at page 70.

I requested this novel because I love all things witchy, and the premise -- a teenage ghost-hunting assassin made by witches -- sounded so fun! In the first couple of pages, the author includes an insightful, heartfelt mes
Bethwyn Badger
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
Eli is a girl, but also definitely not a girl. She is a made-thing, an assassin, a witch's tool. She can travel between the City of Eyes, where the witches reside, and the City of Ghosts, where the humans live, because she is of both worlds. And yet, there is change afoot.

This was a ride and a half. I want to make a special point of talking about the magic and the sheer imagination that went into this story - I loved so much of it, and a lot of elements that were added along the way just made me
Carolina
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
The book is all over the place. It often meanders off and pauses the plot for flashbacks and scenes that add nothing to characterization or world-building. The plot is the basic steal-the-object quest, but it gets side-tracked a lot with obstacles that come out of nowhere and it just feels like padding. The stakes were high, but I wasn’t invested in it in the first place.
The magic in this world thrives on chaos. That makes for a really cool setting, but it also means the author can add random st
Kelly
After seeing the beautiful cover and reading the intriguing plot, I had very high hopes for this one. Witches and assassins vs humans and ghosts?! I mean, count me in. However, this story never managed to get me invested in it, mainly because the storyline was a bit confusing to me.
Every character had their own quest and together they embarked on one big quest without really knowing what their endgame was going to be. They also didn’t seem to have a lot of motives to actually do the things that
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Scapegracers (Scapegracers, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Surrender Your Sons
  • Eat, and Love Yourself
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • A Song Below Water
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • The Glamourist (Vine Witch, #2)
  • The Four Profound Weaves
  • Sisters of the Perilous Heart (Mortal Heritance, #1)
  • Mayhem
  • The Earl Not Taken (The Wallflowers of West Lane, #1)
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • The Spirit in the Crypt (Jonny Roberts, #1)