Start by marking “Pestilence (Second Son Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
Pestilence (Second Son Chronicles #3)

Pestilence

(Second Son Chronicles #3)

At the dawn of the Renaissance, Alfred - the eponymous second son - must discover the special destiny foreseen for him by his grandfather. Now, the unthinkable has happened: Alfred’s brother is king. And it isn’t long before everyone’s worst fears are realized. Traditional allegiances are shattered under a style of rule unknown since the grand bargain that formed the kingd ...more
Published June 11th 2020 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Pestilence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pestilence

Start your review of Pestilence (Second Son Chronicles #3)
A.J. Sefton
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Pestilence is a fantasy series about a feuding family dynasty. Like a disease, the thirst for power spreads quickly and kills many.

This is the third in the series but stands alone; however it is preferable to read the previous books to get to know the characters better and more quickly. The story is set in a fictitious kingdom that sounds European and Anglo-Saxon. There is a familiarity with the characters having the names of English kings - Edward, Alfred, Harold and John for example - but thes
Jean Roberts

Available: ebook, paperback

Series: yes

Sex: 💗 mild

Violence:😨 mild

Reviewers Note: I was given a free copy of all three books in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Plot in Brief: The Second Son Chronicles follows Lord Alfred, second son of the second son of the ruling house. In book one, Alfred is captured
Yvonne

Told from the perspective of Lord Alfred, the favoured second son of the late King Harold and second in line to the throne, Pestilence takes the reader into a fictional kingdom where its traditions and customs are being eroded by the whims of a power-hungry and selfish King John. His demands and changes disrupt the peaceful lives of those at court and while the royal family look upon some of these with amusement, they dare not disobey.

Lord Alfred is aware that his position is tenuous due to the
Anne
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advanced Review Copy.

One might suggest that reading Pamela Taylor's third volume in her Second Son Chronicles, entitled Pestilence, during the recent difficult weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic might have been an unfortunate choice on my part. What I discovered, however, was that the health-related parallels between her characters' world and ours (albeit coincidental), made me wonder if and what other similarities might be layered into the story.

At the heart of Ms. Taylor's Chronicle
Bev
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Please note: I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review.)

I have always had a fascination with medieval and renaissance times, especially with the royalty. Pamela Taylor’s historical novel takes place in an imaginary realm, complete with lords, ladies, kings and peasants, much like a medieval world.
It is the third book in her Second Son Chronicles and although it can be read as a stand-alone (which I did), I feel it would be enhanced by reading the other books.
I was quickly drawn in
Anthony
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Review

As a fan of ancient history, especially the age of the Vikings and the Angelo-Saxon days of early Europe, it was a treat to see a setting in a similar fashion take center stage in this amazing read. Although I have not read the previous two entries in the series, the book does an excellent job of creating a story and atmosphere that holds strong on its own, although for character reference it is probably a good idea to read the first two books.

The author beautifully captured the tone
Sublime Book Review
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating = 4.67

Storyline & Concept = 4.5

Writing & Delivery = 4.5

Editorial = 5

Pestilence is the third novel in the Second Son Chronicles, and it continues the story of Alfred, an honorable man who values the traditional ways of his ancestry. In this installment of the series, Alfred’s brother inherits the crown and sets aside the welfare of the kingdom for his own gain and petty vengeances.

This novel is a well-written, enthralling account of Alfred’s continued struggles to protect his val
Louise Emerson
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series of the Second Son Chronicles. This is a standalone book. You do not have to read the other books to be able to know what is going on. However it might be worthwhile as you get to know the characters better and can relate to them more.

The King is dead, it is time for the eldest son to take over the throne. Much to many people's dislike.

King John loves the power of the crown, he can do whatever he wants. He is the King after all. His brother Alfred is constant
TNE Book Critic
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pestilence is the third book in the second Second Chronicles by Pamela Taylor. It is only fair to admit that I did not read the first two stories in the series; however, the author's keen ability to create a story will allow the reader to understand the concept of this story entirely.
Pestilence occurs during the Renaissance period, with the death of a beloved King and rise of King John, the eldest son, whose egocentric need for power forecast the end of the jubilee period for the Kingdom. King
Janet
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advanced Review Copy. Ms. Taylor weaves a detailed and captivating story which continues from the first two books in the series. Here Alfred is kept under the watchful eye of his brother John who seemingly is only interested in power, revenge, and conquest. Alfred's telling of the story draws the reader in and creates an emotional bond with the characters of the book as the world and kingdoms that Ms. Taylor has created come to life. The cliff-hangers at the end of each book keep m ...more
Angela
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the third book in the series and going into this book, I had not read the previous two. The story seemed to continue from the previous book and it took me a little bit to get a feel for the characters. Once I had figured them all out, the story really drew me in. I was transported to a world of kings, queens, knights and battle. I enjoyed Alfred's story and cannot wait to find out what happens next! As I await the fourth book in this series, I will definitely be going back and readi ...more
Barbara
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the first two books of the Second Son Chronicles, but this volume is the best to date. The plot is full of high stakes twist and turns and I found it nearly impossible to stop reading every night. Alfred and the kingdom endure all manner of hardships throughout, and neither is safe at the end of this book. Waiting for the next volume to be published will be difficult, but unfortunately it’s the only way I’ll discover what happens next.
Wytzia Raspe
A royal prince, the second son, sees his older brother destroy their kingdom and he has to fear for his own life. Society is disrupted by hatred against immigrants and a pestilence creates havoc. The king however wants to go to war.
I thought this a slow story in the middle of an epic and as a novel less captivating. Maybe the writer had better combined it with the next one in the series as now you feel like there is an open ending.
Jim Michael
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading more about Alfred, Gwendolyn and all the characters in this third book of the Second Son Chronicles. Pamela Taylor knows how to tell a story, and clearly enjoys bringing the reader into a fascinating world that reflects the history of medieval Europe. Now I’m looking forward to book 4!
Christine Cazeneuve
The saga continues

Well this King john, although fictional, reminds me of a real King John. I truly love this story and the author's writing style that I can't stop reading. You will come to feel very comfortable with all the characters and to what happens to them. On to the final book.
Jimmy Duncan
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Another good story in the series. I feel that the review is not necessary in that if I like a book, I'll want to read the next one. If I don't like it, I'm not going to finish it.
Judy
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
Review to come
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Awesome

Awesome read with twists and turns as treachery abounds while the royal struggle to maintain the kingdom as King John diminish the realm's integrity.

• My Father, My King (Second Son Chronicles #2)
  • Upon This Throne (Second Son Chronicles #4)
  • Fortuna's Queen (Forgotten Women of History, #2)
  • Lt. Reilly 2321: (Lt. Reilly book #1)
  • Thyra
  • The Lady's Gamble
  • Magi's Path (Aether's Revival, #3)
  • Southwest Nights (Semiautomatic Sorceress Book 1)
  • The Champion (I): Blood and Steel
  • The Girl in the Painting (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery #8)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Stanton & Barling, #3)
  • Tribute at the Gates: An Epic Fantasy Saga (Catalyst Book 1)
  • The Lady's Ambition
  • The Last Trial (Kindle County #11)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Shadow Witch (Witches of Hollow Cove, #1)
  • A Scandal in Scarlet (A Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)
Pamela Taylor brings her love of history to the art of story-telling. An avid reader of historical fact and fiction throughout her life, she finds the past offers rich sources for character, ambiance, and plot that allow readers to escape into a world totally unlike their daily lives.

“I’d tried my hand at several ideas and wasn’t quite satisfied with any of them,” she says. “I’ve always been intri

Second Son Chronicles (4 books)
  • Second Son (Second Son Chronicles #1)
  • My Father, My King (Second Son Chronicles #2)
  • Upon This Throne (Second Son Chronicles #4)

News & Interviews