Start by marking “This Is Not a Ghost Story” as Want to Read:
This Is Not a Ghost Story

This Is Not a Ghost Story

Nothing is as it seems in this chilling, twisting tale by bestselling author Andrea Portes, perfect for fans of Madeleine Roux and Danielle Vega.

Rife with dark humor and chilling twists, This Is Not a Ghost Story is American Horror Story meets There’s Someone Inside Your House. It will have readers flipping back to the very first page after the shocking finale.

I am not w
Published November 17th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not a Ghost Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Not a Ghost Story

Start your review of This Is Not a Ghost Story
Michelle
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc-s
Dedication: For all the weird girls, with the funny hearts. 💗 Written for me: Check! Ha!

A foe.
An unseen foe.
Undetectable.
But malicious.
A kind of malevolent force.
One that takes glee in my terror.

Daffodil has recently been accepted into Bryn Mawr and as a way of financially being able to do so she takes a job as a caretaker of a professors' home for the summer in which he pays her a ludicrous amount of money. With no father and a mother that ran away years before she is left with little
Chelsea Humphrey
This definitely ended up being a lot sweeter than I expected! The writing style has a stream of consciousness to it, but I didn't mind it in this particular story, as the author gave it almost a noir feel. While I wish the story had been a bit longer and more developed, I also see why Portes chose to keep the narrative tight and streamlined. If you've read a story with this particular twist at the ending, you'll probably see it coming like I did, but I still appreciate what the author did by tak ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I admit, I didn't know what to expect when I went into this one other than hoping for a good ghost story. I did get that but, I also got so much more.

I got an unreliable protagonist and things that never quite seemed what they were and never knowing what in the world was really going on. Was the house haunted? Was she just crazy? Was any of this actually real? To say the very least this book kept me on my toes and turning the pages.

*ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review
micolreads
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daffodil wants to escape the summer and she ends up in an old manor, paid to take care of the house. Only, nothing is quite alright. Discovering secrets with Daffodil, getting to know what really happened to her boyfriend, you are thrust into a world of supernatural and paranormal. But this is not a ghost story, it’s more.

Final vote: 4/5
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
All I want is alllll the ghost stories and for every cover to e as fabulously my aesthetic as this one 😍
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who ignore the knock at the door in the hopes that whoever it is will go away
Shelves: best-of-2020
[ARC provided by HarperCollins, my review is unbiased]
Wordpress Blog | Twitter | Pinterest

📗 This is, hands down, my favourite book cover this year. The colour palette, the creepiness of the house, the font, it just all works for me. I've been burned by some anticipated reads this year, but this story just grabbed me and had me flipping through the pages, which hasn't happened in a while.

📕 Daffodil's voice is a unique one, and I could see some readers finding her annoying. However, I felt like Da
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/11/22/...

Despite what the title may tell you, this one was a ghost story. Just…maybe not your typical one.

This spooky young adult tale by Andrea Portes follows Daffodil Franklin, who recently graduated from high school with big plans to escape her stifling small-town life in Nebraska for college on the east coast. Problem is though, tuition can be expensive, and money is something our protagonist doesn’t have.

Fortunately, she fin
April Sarah
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it
*ARC received from Netgalley in return for an honest review*
Video Review: https://youtu.be/CY_kK4RfxaI

So this is the story of Daffodil, who gets off of the train on her way to college and decides to take a summer job house-sitting for a rich couple. This house is currently under construction and the owners can't be there but they need someone to manage the workers. As Daffodil is there and watching the house, she gets this weird feeling about the place and things might not be as they se
Caidyn (he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

CW: death, loss/grief, and some scenes of violence

I had no idea what I was in for with this book, but I knew it sounded so interesting. It's a quick read, too, one that I could have easily finished in one sitting if time had permitted. The story focuses around Daffodil, a teenager who's decided to stay at this old house for money over the summer while the family is away and there's construction being done. Of course, there's so
Deekay
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title isn’t wrong...

Let me just say that when I first requested an ARC of this book, I expected it to be a horror story even though the title was very clear about it not being a horror story. I really went in not knowing what the story is about other than hoping some creepy stuff will happen. I got more than just that, thanks to the amount of surprises this book has.

This book has a lot of things that nobody can expect, even I didn’t see what’s coming for the majority of the book. The story r
Ms. Yingling
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss PluE ARC Provided by Edelweiss Plus

Daffodil is glad to be escaping her humdrum life with her grandmother in Nebraska. On her way Bryn Mawr during the summer before college, she happens to disembark in a town that seems to be calling her, and before long has a better than expected job, working for a college professor watching his house and overseeing a renovation there. It's a mansion out in the country with a troubled past, and she runs into any manner of quirkiness w
Holly
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Tried 3 times to get into this, and it just didn’t work for me. I’m not sure if it was a problem with the pacing or if I just couldn’t connect with the story, but it just didn’t click with me.
Steph_d
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Recieved arc for a honest review.

This reminded me of the movie 23 for some reason probly the vibe of the main character not knowing that they are the problem.
The writing was good... it was face paced and well played our and written. My main concern was the storyline I felt that everything was resolved very easily but with not much sustenance.
The characters were a bit strange however this is cleared up in the end few chapters until that moment it was very odd.
I liked the second woman Penelope
Kaitlin
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
She was just trying to find a summer job to help pay for college. Now Daffodil finds herself trapped in a house that might never let her leave.

This Is Not a Ghost Story is a standalone novel by Andrea Portes. This thrilling tale is perfect to get you in the spooky mood. Daffodil Franklin takes a job housesitting in an old mansion for a professor and his wife. She’s just trying to earn some extra money the summer before her freshman year of college. But nothing in this house it quite as it seems.
Teenage Reads
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Shelves: advance-copy, 2020
Plot:
Daffodil was not a “plan” type girl. She was so “carefree” that her idea to get a summer job was to get off the train a few stops early, wander around and ask for employment until she lands a job. Lucky for her, she did. This professor whose wife’s father owns an island is leaving for the summer and needs someone to oversee the construction workers who are building a guest house. With Daffodil showing up on his doorstep, both the professor and Daffodil were in luck. Setting herself up in th
Kelly
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received an arc from edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

This was a wild ride!
You start out thinking you’re reading a horror movie made into a book. Similar things happen that would also happen in a horror movie, but then you realize that this is so different then what you thought this would be.

I really liked This is not a ghost story.
The main character daffodil is different from what you’d expect. With social anxiety and a past she’s escaping from she starts a summer job at some to
Karen Bullock
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars for this bizarre 13 & up tale (young adult).
A Professor Addington who is the owner of a house that once held a grisly past.
Oddly enough he accepts the application of a 17 year old, Daffodil Turner, to watch over his house for the summer and be the overseer of the guest house renovation. That’s seems to be quite the odd under taking for someone with no previous experience? And this is where the story becomes intriguing.
Odd occurrences, trinkets, talismans, and a very odd neighbor, Penelop
Nov 09, 2020 added it
I'm not quite sure what to rate this because it didn't do it for me, but I can definitely see an audience for it that would enjoy it. It's a quick read, with short chapters and keeping to vague dreamy imagery and quick vignettes.

Daffodil is seventeen years old and picks up a housesitting job the summer before freshman year of college. I was pretty interested in how young she was, and the idea of a haunted house story that takes place in summer rather than fall or winter. I'm also always interest
ElphaReads
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me an eARC of this novel!

THIS IS NOT A GHOST STORY by Andrea Portes was a book that I requested on a whim, which is strange because given that it's a ghost story I normally would have been all over it. I think that election stress and other things made it so I was backing up on my NetGalley lists, and was worried that adding more would just become more stressful. But after seeing it pop up in other places, I went for it, and once the election was over and I got
Sophie Snow
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, read-2020
“Don’t worry, because absolutely none of those terrible rumors are true.”

“Content
(view spoiler)

Objectively, I can say this is a good book but it absolutely wasn’t the book for me, unfortunately,

“Things
♥ The writing was very descriptive a
Kailyn Bettle
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Daffodil has a plan. She desperately needs to get out of Nebraska (because it’s Nebraska) and because of “the thing she can’t think about,” so she leaves early for college to find a summer job that will help her pay for her room and board. When she stumbles across a professor who will pay her to watch over his house and the construction at his home while he is gone, she can’t turn the opportunity down. At first, she doesn’t even question the large amount of money she was offered. Then unexplaine ...more
Julia
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-netgalley
When I first requested This Is Not a Ghost Story on Netgalley, I wasn’t aware that it was a YA novel. I only read the blurb and it sounded creepy enough for me. That being said, I’m definitely not the targeted age group this book. I did read it regardless, but I found little to enjoy.

For one, the protagonist, Daffodil, is trying way too hard to be witty. No one would tell a story like that, especially not a 17 year old girl all on her own. It just didn’t work for me.

It also wasn’t very creepy, w
Stephanie
Daffodil Franklin is heading to college but has to earn some money before school starts. And she is desperate to get away from home. She decides to let fate take the wheel and gets off the train at a random stop and decides to look for work in the town. She comes across a professor who needs someone to stay in his house and supervise construction while he and his wife are away. The pay is great and Daffodil likes the idea of having the mostly isolated house to herself. But things do not go as pl ...more
Rikki King
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nessa
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Harper Collins Teen for the eARC! I blew through this book and literally read it in one day! I enjoyed the 1st person style of narration and it really helped me get into Daffodil’s head. I loved her character but I thought her relationship with Zander was a bit random because it was very insta-love on his part. Also you would think that there would have been some backlash from Chelsea, Daffodil’s friend, because she had been crushing hard on Zander. I thought Penelope Persephone Crisp’ ...more
Kara
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had so many mixed feelings about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the casual conversation the narrator has with the reader. That’s what connected me. The something happened that I don’t want to discuss trope was well done, and the ending reminded me of an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark. It was creepy but light at the same time. If you don’t love Daffy, we can’t be friends.
Baraboo Public Library Teen Reads
One thing that makes or breaks a YA novel, in my opinion, is the voice of the narrator. Because I am a huge fan of Gilmore Girls, I LOVED this book. Daffodil, the main character, speaks like Rory Gilmore, if you put Rory Gilmore in a haunted house and added a mysterious and tragic backstory. This was one book I finished, and then immediately told everybody I know to go read it because I loved it so much.

For some reason, the narrative voice in this novel just works so well. Daffodil, looking to
Brooke Nadzam
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I am not typically a fan of ghost stories, and despite the title, this was a ghost story!

I don’t want to give anything away, so I won’t say much. But, this had all of the things a good ghost story needs. There was some mystery, there was some suspense, some creepiness, and a few jump scenes.

I had no idea what was going on.
Grace
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
*4.25
this book was really good! it was very twisty and good for october but not toooo spooky. it really feels like someone is telling you a ghost story!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Good Girls
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Even If We Break
  • The Girl from Munich (The Girl from Munich #1)
  • Royal Renegades
  • Your Perfect Right: Assertiveness and Equality in Your Life and Relationships
  • Highlander's Stolen Wife
  • Roanoke: The Lost Colony (Keepers of the Ring, #1)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • I, Claudia
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • The Ghost Tree
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
Andrea Portes is a bestselling American novelist.

Her novels include HICK, BURY THIS, ANATOMY OF A MISFIT, and THE FALL OF BUTTERFLIES. Portes is also the author of the upcoming LIBERTY book series and the upcoming HENRY & EVA book series. She also published the SUPER RAD graphic novel series for Dark Matter Comics.

Portes was raised in rural Nebraska, outside of Lincoln. She attended Bryn Mawr Col