Start by marking “That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story” as Want to Read:
That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

Chaperones, suitors, and arranged marriages aren't only reserved for the heroines of a Jane Austen novel. They're just another walk in the park for this leading lady, who is on a mission to find her leading lad. From the brilliant comics Yes, I'm Hot in This, Huda Fahmy tells the hilarious story of how she met and married her husband. Navigating mismatched suitors, gossipi ...more
Published March 10th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about That Can Be Arranged, please sign up.
willaful It probably depends on which kindle you have. I've been able to read some graphic novels on mine. Check the kindle listing for info. …moreIt probably depends on which kindle you have. I've been able to read some graphic novels on mine. Check the kindle listing for info. (less)

Start your review of That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
MischaS_
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, english, arc
YAY! Review #700!

***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Seeing that this book was by Huda was an instant to-read for me. I enjoy her comics very much. And I like that she does not hesitate to joke on her account as well.

This book is not the usual "comics strips". It actually tells the story of how she got married, from her first crush, through getting her suitors and then finding the one under the supervision of her mother. There is act
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to love this one so much!!!
It was really funny and yes, fun to read. The artstyle complimented the story so well and the way it's written was really wholesome for a graphic memoir.
This is the story of a woman belonging to the Muslim community whose life revolved around marriage at one time of her life so much that she almost got into some weird arranged dates. She used to have insane thoughts and perceptions regarding her own worth, to be someone who could decide things on her o
♛ may
the hijabis really won with this one 🥺🥺🥺🥺 i love it so much 🥺🥺🥺🥺
Emma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it

3.5/5 Stars

This comic book tells the story of Huda, the author, and her arranged marriage to the man of her dreams and the love of her life, Gehad. This book definitely gives a lot of information on this type of marriage that people may not be familiar with. It was quite funny and I adored the parts where her mother was involved in the courting process.
I also very much admired how the themes of
My_Strange_Reading
IT. WAS. SO. PRECIOUS.

I. CAN. NOT.

Y'ALL. ALL THE HAPPY, FLUFFY, PRECIOUS FEELS.
Skye Kilaen
A quick, funny read by a cartoonist who's becoming one of my faves, this tells the story of how the author met and married her husband, with info along the way about how arranged marriages work in her Muslim community. This is my 2nd read by Fahmy and I'm already looking forward to her next book. She does a great job balancing on-page events, personal commentary, humor, and cultural insights, and she has a fantastic feel for pacing. Also, her cartooning is adorable. ...more
S.K. Ali
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this! SO much of it resonated with my life -- like no other book. It'll make you fall in love with love, while laughing your heart out! I'm smiling even as I write this review... ...more
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had already pre-ordered this book, based on "Yes, I'm hot in this", Huda's first book, which was a collection of her strips.

I was not disappointed. Well written, full of humor, this is a great way to explain what arranged marriages are to the non-muslim world. Because of her English literature background, Huda is able to pull in Jane Austin, and explain, the similarities of dating then, with dating now.

Although, something that wasn't around in the Regency period, email that her mother had to
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, books-i-own
Absolutely incredible! This is the book I wish I had when I was little. It’s funny and super relatable. I actually wasn’t expecting to connect with it this much, but it has the representation (both Islamic and cultural) I needed and wanted. The rules part was perfect and 100% described me when I was 5. And the different kinds of suitors cracked me up, especially the visa one 😂 I just want Huda to write and draw more because I can never get enough of her comics and stories!
Silvia
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I had such a fun time reading this! It's a very quick read but it made me laugh out loud a few times (I was drinking tea at the moment and I narrowly avoided one or two cartoon-style spit-your-tea-laughing moments) and it was also a fun way to open my eyes to a world I didn't know much about, the world of Muslim dating courtship and general pre-marriage shenanigans.

I did
Anniek
I'm a big fan of the "Yes, I'm hot in this" comics, so when I saw this was available as "read now", I quickly downloaded it and dove in. And I loved this! It was so funny, and the mix of text and comic works really well. It was a very quick, very entertaining read. ...more
Rameela (Star)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I NEED THIS IMMEDIATELY PLEASE AND THANK YOU uPDATE: THANKS, NETGALLEY!

Initial Thoughts: HUDA DOES IT AGAIN WITH THIS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS SUPER RELATABLE PERFECT STORY BASED ON HER LIFE. I LAUGHED AND FELT HOPEFUL AND IT WAS WONDERFUL I HAVE NO PROPER WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY ELATION THANKS.

Full review on my blog: https://starisallbookedup.wordpress.c...

I read Yes, I’m Hot in This in 2019 and it was so funny and relatable! I’ve been following Huda on instagram for a while and she had posted a snea
Sophie
I didn't plan on reading this but I just picked it.
It is a super sweet graphic novel that showcases dating for a Muslim woman which had so much heart and personality. It was just funny and insightful for me. I'm so glad to see books like this and I hope loads of people pick it up as I do recommend it !!
Haïfa
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witty, honest and enlightening ❤

That Can Be Arranged by the talented Huda Fahmy tells the romantic journey of a young Hijabi Muslim before she meets her "soul-meet" in a most funny and inspiring way.

My only complaint would be that I already read a good chunk of the story on the author's Instagram account (where I first discovered her work) but I don't really mind. It makes me really happy to support an artist who shares a daily dose of humor and joy with her readers!

Actual rating: 4.5 stars
Alicia Bayer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful comic format book that tells the story of Fahmy's arranged marriage and her years waiting to find "the one." This is a great insight into a culture that's pretty foreign to me. Fahmy is so likeable and relatable. The book wasn't just informative but also just a fun read. I'm a new fan of Huda Fahmy.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Tahoora Hashmi
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't even express it in words how much I lovvvveeddd this mini book. It made me laugh out loud so many times and it was sooo cuuutteee. Aaah God bless the writer. ...more
Rod Brown
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
A humorous look at courtship and arranged marriages among Muslim Americans. It's a quick, breezy read that leaves one hungering for a bit more detail about the people involved. The format is sort of a picture book/graphic novel hybrid. Not as funny as the author's first book, but I'll certainly be seeking out whatever project she does next. ...more
Neelam
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley and Andrew McMeel Publishing for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Excuse me while I squeal because I absolutely adored this comic book and I have already read it several times and oh my god I cannot wait for me to get a physical copy so I can appreciate all the art even more! This book has already become one of my favourite reads of the year.

I am going to fangirl several times throughout this review. You have been warned!

I absolutely adore Huda’s comics
Bruna Miranda
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
**I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**
That's really cute. Huda's story delivers an interesting perspective on arranged marriages, which is something very frowned upon by most non-Muslim people. We usually assume it is something "outdated" and that goes against the woman's wishes but guess what? Someone forgot to ask the women how they felt about it.
She makes it very clear that this story is her own and that, for better or worse, her story doesn't translate the "who
Dany
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable comics!!!!

Huda tells the story of how she met her husband. Kinda like "How I Met Your Mother" but make it Muslim and short.

I'm not Muslim , but I can relate to so much stuff in this book. I love how hilarious Huda is (I actually love her comics) and she made a lot of jokes even about herself!

I loved and adored the book entirely and the comics wasn't my fave part. Ofcourse it was amazing. But Huda tells the self love she was able to attain and how she set boundaries, which was astonishi
zaheerah
*I received a copy of both these books via the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

In her second comic, Huda Fahmy recounts the story of how she met her husband, Gehad. Marriage is always tricky, and especially for Huda as she faces gossiping aunties and overbearing parents who want the best for her. That Can Be Arranged is hilarious, quirky and quite refreshing. A simple story which also discusses misconceptions about the aut
Ana Reads
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The most sweetest comic book i’ve ever read my entire life!

It narrated the author’s beautiful journey of finding her soulmate. ‘Finding’ is not the suitable word i think, but rather the soulmate himself found her. It was destiny that brought them together.

They met through a matchmaking date, chaperoned by her parents. You might think that this matchmaking and chaperoning thing are kind of outdated, yucky, unimaginable, no freedom and so on, but it wasn’t.

Why? Because i went through the same thin
legenbooksdary
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short book is fun, relatable for my fellow muslim sisters and it will give readers a wider perspective on marriage and finding ‘the one’. The one thing that I will absolutely take to heart is that even though the main character felt hopeless, she did something about it instead and take matters into her hands.

This book has a lot of humour which I can sense must have come from the author herself. I didn’t feel bored at all reading this book and actually had a really great time. I was deeply a
nadiaizzaty
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is cute and really recommended to all Muslim who are in the midst of finding soulmate .

I totally agree with the author whereby , if want to find the soulmate that we want :

Firstly, learn to love ourself first.

Secondly , take any lessons or classes that makes your self happy .

Thirdly , don’t ever give up and trust Allah . As Allah the One that knows when you are ready and when your soulmate are ready .

The book also full of humour therefore , you will continue reading it . The illustra
Caitlin (CMAReads)
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
#partner Andrews McMeel Publishing
What a fun book this was. I have followed Huda on Instagram for a while now, and I love how she takes time to share and educate about her faith and life. This book is solely about her experience with arranged marriage. I loved how each page incorporated her comics and some more text to better explain some situations. I would have really enjoyed there being more at the end of the book, but maybe she’ll write another one one day.
Ari Reavis
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
I laughed so much reading this book and related to so many aspects of it. Beyond being a story of love, it's also a story of self-worth, not settling just to live up to other's expectations, and staying true to yourself. I really liked the way she went through each phase, from first crushes to being the guest at other people's weddings, to having her own.
I'm sure this book will promptly be stolen by my daughter so I'm just glad I got to read it before it disappears from my room.
Betty
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was a delightful read – informative, served up with a side of humor. If you have wondered what dating is like in the Muslim world this book is for you. The illustrations throughout the book are really cute.
Suad Shamma
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, graphic-novels, 2020
I do love Huda Fahmy! What an enjoyable and adorable read! And what a wonderfully realistic, positive and relatable glimpse into the life of a hijabi, but not only a hijabi but a Muslim girl. I highly recommend this read, very amusing, and very well executed!
Jena
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! That Can Be Arranged is an autobiographical look at marriage, comparing the author's dating/marriage experience in her Muslim community with the courtship seen in Jane Austen books. This had a real webcomic feel to it, but in a good way - it reminded me at times of Hyperbole and a Half, in that it pairs text with funny images showing the events in the text high-level. Huda Fahmy does such a great job drawing expressions, I was constantly laughing at character's reactions ( ...more
Elizabeth A
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
"Chaperones, suitors, and arranged marriages aren't only reserved for the heroines of a Jane Austen novel." Indeed.

This is my second foray into the author's work, and I enjoyed this quick read. There is a difference, and a huge one at that, between arranged and forced marriages, both of which still exist today. There were sections that made me smile, but I continue to not particularly like the illustration style.

• Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • In at the Deep End
  • More Than a Game (Fayroll #1)
  • Lumberjanes #67
  • The Last Word
  • Moonlight Over Mayfair
  • Escaping The Asylum: A creative journey towards liberation
  • The Rose That Blooms in the Night
  • Ribbons of Scarlet: A Novel of the French Revolution's Women
  • These Savage Shores
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
  • Invisible as Air
  • Bound for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries, #4)
  • Ascending (The Vardeshi Saga, #1)
  • The Magic of Mindset: A Journal to Get Unstuck
Huda Fahmy was born in Detroit, Michigan and attended the University of Michigan where she majored in English and minored in political science with hopes of one day becoming a lawyer. She finished one year of law school before shifting to education. She taught English to middle and high schoolers for eight years before she started writing about her experiences as a visibly Muslim woman in America ...more