Start by marking “A Sweet Mess” as Want to Read:
A Sweet Mess

A Sweet Mess

(A Sweet Mess #1)

Korean-American author Jayci Lee delights with this delicious and light-hearted romantic comedy that readers will devour and ask for more.

Bake a chance on love.

Aubrey Choi loves living in her small town nestled in the foothills of California, running her highly successful bakery away from the watch of her strict Korean parents. When a cake mix-up and a harsh review thr
Published July 14th 2020 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about A Sweet Mess, please sign up.
CapesandCovers I don't think meat is ever specifically brought up from my memory. Dairy wise, there's mention of cheese and the main character is trying to perfect e…moreI don't think meat is ever specifically brought up from my memory. Dairy wise, there's mention of cheese and the main character is trying to perfect either ice cream or gelato at one point, but I think it was more about the flavor than texture.(less)

Start your review of A Sweet Mess
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
So much delicious food, wine tastings, mouth-watering pastries, chemistry that can put an entire skyscraper into flames, an amazing Korean couple, one night stand-enemies- coworkers- friends-lovers story! Yes, it seems like the best combination to jump in! My fingers already started to get twitchy to give full five stars, as soon as I read the blurb and intrigued by this plot which is so much better than the last ultra-cheesy- Royale with cheese kind of Christmas movies hit the Netflix.

A small d
Jessica
Apr 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This book had such a promising start. He's a food critic and accidentally gets a cake meant for a 7-year-old's birthday party at our heroine's bakery. He writes a nasty review and really hurts the heroine's business. Little did he know, the hero actually had a one-night-stand with the bakery owner while he was in town. Now he wants to make it up to her.

I was really loving the beginning of this book, but things went down hill, especially with the lats 20%. This wasn't the most interesting read a
Heather
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an adorable book about food, love & second chances. I loved Aubrey so much; her drive, her compassion and her love for baking. Landon was overall a great character but went about saying and doing things all wrong alot in this book.
I wish it had more with both of their families and that it would come full circle with that but overall if you love books with baking & food definitely check this one out!
Toni
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Food descriptions in Jayci Lee's newest novel are just mouthwateringly delicious!

Our protagonist Aubrey Choi is the owner of a small, but very successful bakery Comfort Zone. She is living through a minor emergency at the beginning of the book. Her part time assistant served somebody Aubrey's creation that was designed to go to a six year old birthday girl. Aubrey bakes another identical cake and saves the day. Later in the evening she meets Landon Kim, a gorgeous Asian American and is immediate
Lacey
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok

Is it just me or has there been an abundance of rom-coms/romances published this year with a love interest who is somehow tied to a restaurant/pastry shop that is strapped for cash and/or on the brink of going under??? Bonus points if said restaurant/pastry shop is family-owned. Off the top of my head, I can think of, like, three books fitting these criteria that were published in the last two months alone: The Marriage Game, Recipe for Persuasion, and Kiss My Cupcake. With the exceptio
Bibi
Jan 22, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a mess.
Berit☀️✨
This book BAKED me happy! A cup of romance... A heaping teaspoon of humor... A sprinkling of steam... A dollop of friendship... A peppering of family... A pinch of angst... Jayci Lee has written a sweet and charming romcom that made me swoon, smile and crave cake. Girl meets boy. Girl and boy have instant attraction and end up sleeping together. Girl and boy are certain their paths will never cross again. Boy mistakenly gets cake with gummy worms in it from girl’s bakery. Boy writes negative rev ...more
Melanie (mells_view)
A Sweet Mess is an emotional, sweet, steamy, and obviously funny romantic comedy. The main characters Aubrey and Landon have serious chemistry and the author, Jayci Lee, does a great job translating that chemistry on page. The steam level in this one is high, but it also more of a fade out read when it comes to the more detailed intimate aspects. This story is written in third person point of view, and that is honestly my only complaint. I personally can not connect as well with the characters w ...more
Bookishrealm
Sep 12, 2020 marked it as dnf
I’m extremely bored with this one so I think I may need to read it at a different point. I got about half way through and I’m still not into the story.
Nadene  (Totally Addicted to Reading)
A Sweet Mess by Jayci Lee highlighted how important communication was in any relationship. If only the characters featured in this book had communicated with each other, they could have avoided half the problems encountered in this story. With that being said, this proved to be a sweet story involving food (I am sure I packed on some pounds just reading about all those baked goodies) and romance.

The story introduces Aubrey and Landon, two driven, ambitious and compassionate characters who shared
CristiinaReads❀
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON...

SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS BEAUTY! My hands have been itching to read it and I am ready to dive right in...

ARC kindly provided by SMP, in exchange for an honest review coming closer to the release date...

InstagramTwitter
Larry H
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don’t read A Sweet Mess on an empty stomach or you’ll crave baked goods!!

Aubrey Choi is living her dream. Her bakery, Comfort Zone, is thriving, so much so that she’s planning to expand to larger space. It doesn’t leave her time for romance, however, but when she meets a handsome stranger at her friend’s brewery and they spend the night together, she starts to wonder what she’s missing.

It turns out that the stranger is food critic Landon Kim, and he’s about to write an unflattering review of
Claire
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 - "You’re worth every risk…" Stars!

I love discovering a new author and Jayci Lee has added herself straight to my auto-buy list with A Sweet Mess. Great story, likeable characters, beautiful locations and an easy to read writing style. I read Aubrey and Landon’s story in a day.

As farfetched as it sounded, they had met by pure chance… A food critic and a baker. It was fucking serendipity…

A little bit of forbidden to the romance aspect, and with a storyline built around food and cooking, I w
Jen Ryland
Jun 27, 2020 added it
Shelves: wndb
This one is a tough one for me. Romance is so taste-specific (wow - bad pun!) and there were things I liked and other things that I really struggled with.

On the plus side: I love the overall premise of two Korean-American foodies meeting cute and finding a culinary happily every after. That gets an A++++ from me. The opening meet cute was funny and sweet. The small town setting was charming and then the action moved to wine country *raises glass*. I loved Tara, Aubrey's best friend and their re
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Totally enjoyed this book. It was just so romantic all the way through. well, except for the bumpy road.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book was a wonderful twist on a classic romance. Starring a baker who is enjoying some amazing business growth, she meets a guy who she immediately falls for. Sparks are Flying! It’s a wonderful beautiful connection even though it was just one night.

But then things become real and her business grinds to a screeching slow down. The worst thing is it’s because of him. A
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was such a cute romance that was full of all of the angst and drama (while still remaining funny). If you are a fan of "The Kiss Quotient" by Helen Hoang or "The Hating Game" by Sally Thorne, I'd highly recommend checking this one out as well.

It was a fun read and surprisingly, I still really enjoyed it when my least favourite trope was introduced (no spoilers, don't worry).

At its core, it was a fun romantic comedy that had everything a romance lover would want in a story. I'm looking for
Andrea Luhman
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, romance, arc
I give this book two out of five stars for poor dialogue construction, lack of connection to the characters, and a lot of manuscript construction mistakes an editor should have caught. The good news is, my review is based on an ARC through NetGalley. I read this book in January 2020 and the publication date posted is July 2020, which means the author and publisher hopefully plan to do some major edits and revisions before this gets released for publication.

Some of the things I had problems with
✧ jules ✧
Thank you Netgalley, St. Martin's Griffin and St. Martin's Press for the ARC.

I read a book by Jayci Lee back in January/February I think? And I absolutely loved it. It was so beautiful and refreshing seeing an asian couple on a book cover. And the story was compelling, sexy and definitely up my alley. So of course I had to request this title.

It worked.. but also not.
1) I'm very not happy about this cover, it definitely hides the ethnicity of the characters - which are korean - and from this cove
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A Sweet Mess was a cute little romcom kind of book. Definitely needed to switch things up genre wise and I feel like I zoomed through this one. In it, you will meet Aubrey and Landon. She is a pastry chef and has her own bakery. She just loves everything that has to deal with baking and making her customers happy. Until the day that Landon walks into her life.

Honestly, it was kind of funny on what happened before they met b
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I think this book is perfect for anyone who appreciates a Harlequin Romance. A lot of events just happen for steam factor and while it's cute, it's not 100% believable. I also didn't enjoy the ending as much as I wanted because of how the trope was handled. I enjoyed the asian-american rep in this book, family relationships, and issues both characters had to go through. It's still a good read!

Thank you SMP Romance for sending me copy!
aarya
DNF at 16%

I wasn’t enjoying it and so I stopped. YMMV.

Unrelated to the content, but worth bitching about: the cover is terrible. The publisher should be ashamed for whitewashing the Korean MCs in the ugliest cover I've seen all year. Do better for your BIPOC authors because this cover is a disgrace.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa Leone-campbell
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Sweet Mess is an adorable love story about Landon Kim a workaholic food critic and Audrey Choi a successful bakery owner. The two meet and have a one night stand thinking they will never see each other again.

But when Landon writes a scathing review of Audrey’s bakery Comfort Zone, not realizing she is the shop owner, disaster looms. Audrey’s business begins to fail just as she has signed a contract to expand. Audrey confronts Landon but unfortunately he has a never retract policy and refuses t
Cyndi
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Not only is it brilliantly written but the story is engaging and lovely. Our heroine has a successful bakery and a handsome fiancé. Then after one horrible day, she has neither. Now can the man who was just supposed to be a one night stand save her failing life? Can he help her find happiness? And can she help him?
A wonderful romance with two people who love to cook and lots of misunderstandings. .
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Was it just me or did Landon and Audrey lack an actual connection? Sure the sexual attraction was high and you can easily cut the tension with a knife but that was it. I just couldn't picture this couple together and just about the majority of the lines were focused on their 'spark' which became more than exhausting after the first few chapters.

Furthermore I had an issue with the dialogue, scene transitions, POV structure and the instant love feels with a side dish of unexpecte
Zoe
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Deliciously sweet and delectably charming!

A Sweet Mess is a spirited, heartwarming, enemies-to-lovers romance that mixes the independent, spunky, Aubrey, who’s determined to do whatever it takes to keep the doors of her new bakery, Comfort Zone, open for business, and the successful, hardworking, Landon who takes his job extremely serious and understands that as a celebrity food critic reputation is everything.

The prose is amusing and light. The characters, including all the supporting character
Cat Duffy
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Thank you Netgalley, St. Martin's Griffin and St. Martin's Press for the ARC.

A Sweet Mess centers on Aubrey Choi, a young woman who owns a brand new bakery, Comfort Zone. Aubrey has an intense one night stand with a hot stranger she meets at her best friend's brewery -- a stranger who turns out to be famed food critic Landon Kim. Prior to meeting Aubrey, Kim received the wrong order from Comfort Zone and after nearly choking to death on gummy worms, writes a scorchingly bad review which sends th
Trisha Tomy
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked it!!!

This one was mostly about baking, which was a good-bad thing because I was so hungry when I was reading this!!

I liked the kinda enemies-to-lovers plot, but in my opinion, this one had a bit too much sex? Not the actual sex......just the thoughts? I don't mean to insult anyone, but do adults think only about sex? Is that what protagonists are portrayed as? I mean I get the pining and wanting, but there's a limit (I hope there is) where you can function without sex? Or sex thou
Beth
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The light-hearted romance between master chefs, a food critic, and baker. I enjoyed A Sweet Mess. It was a quick easy and entertaining read.

I received this ARC copy of A Sweet Mess from St. Martin's Press - St. Martin's Griffin. This is my honest and voluntary review.

My Rating: 4 stars
Written by: Jayci Lee
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (July 14, 2020)
ISBN-10: 1250621100
ISBN-13: 978-1250621108
Genre: Romance

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Mess-Jay...
Barnes & Noble: https
Jessica Haider
A Sweet Mess is, as expected based on the title, a sweet rom-com. It is set in California and the lead characters are a pastry chef and a celebrity food blogger. Aubrey Choi loves baking and is proud of her bakery Comfort Zone in a small, charming town in the California hills. She bakes from her heart and loves dreaming up new treats. She plans on expanding to a larger space previously occupied by a diner and enjoys dreaming about the new space while listening to her favorite 80s music. One day, ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Aubrey Choi struck out on her own, leaving her strict Korean parents to make something of her life. She has pride in the fact that she has created a very successful bakery. However, one incredibly harsh review from a food critic could very well be enough to cost her business to plummet. Any success she has gained could go down the drain. Meanwhile,Aubrey enjoyed a delicious one night stand with a very sexy stranger she met one night. What are the odds that the man she slept with and the food cri ...more

• Regretting You
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • Simmer Down
  • The German Midwife
  • Nothing But Wild (Malibu University, #2)
  • Like You Mean It (Like You, #1)
  • The Color of Us (College Bound, #2)
  • Fighting For a Second Chance (Fighting, #1)
  • Wait for Me
  • Like You Want It (Like You, #2)
  • Make You Mine
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • I Wish You All the Best (I Wish You All the Best, #1)
  • Protecting Fiona (SEAL of Protection, #3)
  • Protecting Caroline (SEAL of Protection, #1)
  • Protecting Alabama (SEAL of Protection, #2)
  • Once Night Falls
See top shelves…
Jayci Lee writes poignant, sexy, and laugh-out-loud romance every free second she can scavenge. She lives in sunny California with her tall-dark-and-handsome husband, two amazing boys with boundless energy, and a fluffy rescue whose cuteness is a major distraction. At times, she cannot accommodate real life because her brain is full of drool worthy heroes and badass heroines clamoring to come to l ...more

A Sweet Mess (2 books)
  • The Dating Dare (A Sweet Mess, #2)

Articles featuring this book