Start by marking “Dryad, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Dryad, Vol. 1

Dryad, Vol. 1

(Dryad #1)

Best-selling writer Kurtis Wiebe (Rat Queens) and newcomer artist Justin Osterling launch a new fantasy saga!

The Glass family has spent thirteen years hiding peacefully in the sleepy forest settlement of Frostbrook where Morgan and Yale planted roots and raised their twins, Griffon and Rana. But secrets never stay hidden, and the entire Glass family find themselves the tar
Published January 19th 2021 by Oni Press (first published January 5th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Dryad, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dryad, Vol. 1

Start your review of Dryad, Vol. 1
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I loved most of Rat Queens but this was rough.
Rod Brown
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
If there is a Saga-sized hole in your life right now, Dryad would very much like to fill it. I mean, it is vibing hard on Saga, with a sexy pair of parents protecting their kids from a world of magic and hi-tech violence. We have allies who are enemies, enemies who should be allies, betrayals, violence, violence, violence, and a cliffhanger ending. And Fiona Staples even provides an alternate cover in the cover gallery.
Emily
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #NetGalley, Kurtis Wiebe and Justin Osterling for this wonderful e-arc.

This was truly brilliant. Saga vibes! I cannot wait for the next one! So many questions! I need answers!

Dryad by Kurt's Wiebe is a beautifully illustrated and well told graphic novel.
Exciting and fast paced, it leaves you wanting more.

We follow the Glass family, who have left everything behind them to raise their children in peace and give them the best possible life.
Unfortunately, the past has a way of catchin
Shanice
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A big thank you to the author and publisher for providing me with an arc of this copy!
I ended up really liking this graphic novel and that CLIFFHANGER I need te second installment asap! Although I did feel a bit lost at the beginning of the story because we didn’t get much worldbuilding and there was a big time gap at one point, near the end I felt I started to get a proper grasp of how this world works.
I thought the setting was really interesting, with a blend of medieval fantasy elements in
Simoné Eloff
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

To me, the success of a graphic novel lies in whether or not I'll make the effort to read the next volume, and it's a definite yes in this case.

This was a quick and dirty read that's clearly headed in a much more complex direction in the upcoming volumes. The world building is evidently only just being established in this first volume, and I'm intrigued by the potential created by the hints at a bigger picture and the cliffhanger ending.
Becky
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Looking for something to fill the saga-sized gap in your life? Look no further!

A badass fighter mama who will stop at nothing to protect her kiddos. A history teacher father who it turns out is the last of a dying breed of conductors. Artwork so stunning you'll forget you're reading a story for a sec because its just so dang pretttyyyyy!

Seriously, if you're into family-orientated sci-fi/fanstasy, give this a read.

Sign me up for the rest of this series!

Massive thank you to netgalley and the publi
Lukasz
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

An interesting mix of high fantasy and cyberpunk. At first glance, it's impressive (a lot is happening, shit goes boom), but it lacks depth. As the story progressed, I found the constant snark tiring and the humor unsubtle. There were some plot inconsistencies and the art, while energetic, didn't entrance me. It's ok, I guess. Nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable enough to read it.

ARC through NetGalley
Samah (The Nerdy Blogger)
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2021-release, arc
actual rating: 4.5 stars
Thank you Oni Press, Kurtis Wieber, and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review

I loved this. I bloody loved it, because a) it was giving a lot of Saga vibes, mixed with Rat Queens energy (these two are my favourite comics of all time!), and b) we need more comics about loving parents who would do anything to protect their children.

The story starts with Morgen and Yale on the run, accompanied by their twins, Griffon and Ran
Chelsea
Actual rating 3.5

I really thought I was getting some sort of fantasy here. And while I'm not exactly wrong, there is so much more going under the surface.

This is a solid start to this series, but I really didn't feel like we got enough to go on. I felt like the surprises and twists were just there for novelty rather than a real reason. Maybe that's because we don't know everything yet. But when some of the characters we are following know what's going on, it feels like things are being hidden ju
Devann
DNFed after issue 4

It's an interesting idea but it's so poorly executed that I barely had any idea of what was going on in the plot, and while I liked the main couple they weren't developed enough for me to really become invested in them. It's definitely no Rat Queens and at its best just seems like a very pale imitation of Saga. Unfortunately Wiebe doesn't want to actually take the time to set up the story like Saga did so he tries to speed through things that I feel he could have taken several
Vintagebooklvr
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This started out as high fantasy but turned into…something else. This was filled with surprises: good world building, great illustrations, lots of introduction of characters but still filled with action, mysteries and lots of potential. I’m intrigued and eagerly await the next in the series to see where this goes.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a free copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
iam
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Part fantasy, part cyberpunk, Dryad Vol. 1 is the introduction to a fast-paced series about a family on the run.

Content warnings include: graphic violence and gore, child injury, non-explicit sex on-page.

On first glance, Dryad seems like fantasy through and through. There's elves and orcs, basic clothing, no electricity, a small village, overgrown ruins of an ancient people and monstrous creatures.
But that's not what Dryad is.
The cyberpunk element comes as a surprise, and when I first noticed
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
"Yes! It’s time! Dryad #1 has finally dropped, and I personally couldn’t be more excited about that fact! If you’re a fan of Rat Queens, then this is absolutely a series you’re going to want to check out.

Why do I say that? Because Kurtis J. Wiebe is the author for both series, and there are so many tones and themes in common. So the odds are very good that if you like one, you’ll enjoy the other. I know I did. Working alongside Wiebe is a new artist, Justin Osterling, but his style is already pr
Kelsey Hlavaty (readingwithkelsey)
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an eARC copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really enjoyed this! I think if you like Rat Queens (which the writer is from) or Saga, then you will really, really enjoy your experience reading this book. The art was amazing and right up my alley. The story had a mix of heartwarming elements (two parents leaving their life behind to save their children) mixed in with badass comba
Wayne McCoy
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Dryad, Vol. 1' by Kurtis Wiebe with art by Justin Osterling is a new graphic novel from the creator of Rat Queens.

The Glass family live in a secluded and mysterious forest. Morgan, Yale and their twins Griffon and Rana seem to be at peace, but there are secrets lurking. Like why did Morgan and Yale leave a life behind and why are they suddenly in danger when the twins discover something in a nearby cave and bad guys start pouring in to the once peaceful forest.

The story dumps you in the middle
Adriana
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
A very interesting mix of fantasy and sci-fi. I honestly thought this was going to be a straight up fantasy and the sharp turn into science fiction turned out to be a brilliant element because it gave the whole thing an extra level of awesomeness.
It does suffer from an unfortunate tendency to hint at big revelations and secrets and never actually clearing up anything. Mysteries just multiply and get deeper. I get that it’s the first volume and they’re setting things up, but some clarification o
Olivia
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs-2020
3.5☆

Morgan and Yale have been living in Frostbrook for 13 years, with their children Rana and Griffon. But Morgan and Yale have been keeping a secret from their kids, and when Muse Corp comes to find them, their secrets are unearthed.

This gave me extreme ptsd from Saga (which I hated), but thankfully, this was much more enjoyable.

What I liked:

- art style
- Yale is so attractive omg
- Morgan and Yale: I really liked their characters, Rana and Griffon, not so much
- cool concept
- I enjoyed the endin
Kennady
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3.8

Umm things were super muddled throughout the story the whole time and it reminded me SO much of Saga (which i love absolute favourite 10/10) and i think because of that i kept going, and will probably keep going as long as they make the books. But the story was that typical 'si-fi mysterious i have deep dark past and now its caught up to me crap" that if it isn't done right it wont go over very well so we'll see...Im interested to see if they can do better...

The art work is stunning and id lo
Angela
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this as an eARC to read for free in exchange for my honest review. Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for giving me access.

This one kept me intrigued! And that ending? I cannot wait for Vol. 2 to come out.

The only thing I had an issue with was the beginning and the huge time jump. I would like to have learned more as to why they were going into hiding upfront verses being slightly confused throughout. If I ignore the beginning, the story flowed great!
RG
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kinda liked this. Elf and human running from something. Set up life in a country style town. Cut some years down the track and the kids are..kids. Great build
Megan
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an e-Arc of this book through netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dryad is a wonderful sci-fi graphic novel and a great introduction and starting place to a series. It seemed quite slow paced in places but that can be expected for the first volume of a series. Fortunately, where it fell short in pacing it made up for in world building and character development. I look forward to volume 2, and seeing more from this world and these characters
Yvonne Olson
Dec 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
This had a good concept, but I couldn't make it through the first scene. I glanced through the rest of the graphic novel, and I felt like I didn't want to continue.

Mikorin
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc, comics
The cover and the art are gorgeous throughout the book.

Where do I even start with this book.. These are not your usual medieval-fantasy elves living in a small town.. despite the fact that this is the exact setting we start with. We see Morgan and Yale trek through the wilderness with two tiny children - where they very candidly stop to change diapers. They arrive to their destination, a quaint village hidden by the woods and some ruins, where they raise their kids for the next ten or so years.
Midu Hadi

I requested this book on Netgalley and I'm so glad that I did!

This was a beautifully illustrated book that didn’t get as much support from the story as it should have. The vibrant colors and a sense of history and culture that we come across in the first half or so is reminiscent of the movie, Avatar. However, all that suddenly goes away and we’re told it wasn’t even real. Okay, I got that part too. Whatever came after that was a big blur for me! (view spoiler)
Emily Ozuna
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
•ENGLISH/ESPAÑOL•

~ENGLISH~

This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Let's see ... how to start ...?
Actually, I LOVE graphic novels, illustrations and fantasy too much. If you add a little drama to all that, I'm fully on board to embark on a great adventure!
Maybe that's why, at the end of this graphic novel, I was very disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the story has so much potential!
This one focuses on the Glass family. 13 years ago, Morgan and Yale Gla
Rachel
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book hooked me right from the beginning! Between the artwork, characters, and plot I quickly fell in love. The family dynamics are great and I love the sibling bond. I can't wait to see how this series develops and what other twists will be in store.

I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

Full review: https://picturethisliteraturecom.word...
Alaaalr
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced graphic novel with Saga vibes. I really enjoyed reading this and it just left me wanting more. The setting and the characters are really fascinating and the artwork makes it even more so! I somehow love 90% of the characters and I just want more of Rana and Griffon, their bond is just so wholesome. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SECOND INSTALLMENT PLS GIMME ...more
*Tau*
gustavo
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ENG - PT REVIEW

ENG
"There's poetry in finding ancient things beneath the ruins of young empires."

trigger warning: graphic violence.

thanks to the publisher for providing an eARC in exchange of an honest review of the book via NetGalley. 💙

I read this whole story feeling the same warmth in my heart that I felt when I read Saga (Brian K Vaughan).
the story is not similar, but this style "family together killing monsters" remembered it 😭

obviously, my favorite part of the comic was this family re
Tessa Swehla
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for good comic book cover art, especially one featuring a large sword slung over a woman’s shoulder. The stunning visuals of 'Dryad', created by Kurtis Wiebe of 'Rat Queens' and Justin Osterling, drew me in immediately when I started reading; the characters and the settings are magnetic in quality, prompting me to turn page after page just so that I could see the next image.

This comic book series is like if Brian K. Vaughan’s comic series 'Saga' and M. Night Shyamalan’s 2004 film 'T
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Justin Barcelo 3 101 Feb 11, 2021 10:37AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Book Title 1 12 Apr 18, 2020 07:01PM

• Quincredible Vol. 1: Quest to Be the Best!
  • Secrets of Camp Whatever Vol. 1
  • Martian Ghost Centaur
  • X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #2 (of 4)
  • Giant-Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost #1
  • The Witch and the Beast, Vol. 1
  • Rogue Planet
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #4 (of 6)
  • Thor (2020-) #3
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #3 (of 6)
  • X-Men #6
  • Marauders #9
  • Excalibur #8
  • X-Men/Fantastic Four (2020) #1 (of 4)
  • Jessica Jones: Blind Spot (2020) #2 (of 6)
  • New Mutants #8
  • X-Men #7
  • X-Force #8
Kurtis Wiebe is a Vancouver, Canada based author who’s been established in the world of comic writing since 2009. For his contribution to the critically acclaimed Green Wake, Kurtis was presented with the Outstanding Comic Book Writer Shuster Award.

Never satisfied with a specific style of writing, Kurtis has branched out to novels, videogames and screenplays. He spends his days at home, writing ab

Dryad (2 books)