Start by marking “The Perils of Intimacy” as Want to Read:
The Perils of Intimacy

The Perils of Intimacy

Mark believes he’s meeting Jimmy for the first time in the diner where he works, but he’s wrong. Mark has no recollection of their original encounter because the wholesome Jimmy of today couldn’t be more different than he was two years ago. Back then, Jimmy sported multiple piercings and facial hair. He was painfully skinny—and a meth addict. The drug transformed him into ...more
ebook
Published February 3rd 2020 by NineStar Press (first published May 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Perils of Intimacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perils of Intimacy

Start your review of The Perils of Intimacy
Sandra
"I'm Jimmy, and I'm an addict."

Two years ago, Jimmy and Mark met for a night of sex. Jimmy was high on crystal meth and hoped to steal whatever he could find in Mark's home to feed his addiction, and Mark was feeding a different addiction, one he doesn't admit to himself until toward the end of this book.

That night changed both of them - it set Jimmy onto his path to beat his relationship with "Tina", and it destroyed Mark's trust in people.

They've both been alone since.

Now two years later,
CrabbyPatty
Second Edition of book originally published by Dreamspinner Press in 2017.

In reading The Perils of Intimacy I am reminded of the phrase "Dying is easy, comedy is hard." Sex is easy but intimacy, true intimacy, is hard. It's easy to say "I forgive you" but true forgiveness of someone and acceptance of "the flawed, broken, and beautiful things they are" can be difficult.

Mark and Jimmy meet two years ago when each man is at a critical point in their life - Jimmy in the throes of a powerful
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I can appreciate this one for what it was - an interesting take on a second chance story. I felt for both characters. Really makes you think. Forgiving and forgetting are two really different things.

But it's not my typical preferred read. And it wasn't really what I was expecting. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily. I sort of picked it up on a whim.

It was mostly inner monologue. And little to no dialogue. No steam to be found. But I guess ultimately it wasn't about that....
Sheri
This is rather difficult for me to review. I enjoyed many things but on the other hand, I also struggled with some aspects. I loved the writing because…this is Reed and I adore slipping into his angsty love-filled playland. I enjoyed the second chance romance because I believe in forgiveness and moving forward. The recovering addict thread was…critical and painful. This feature holds great significance in Jimmy’s story and by default, Mark’s story. And that was hard for me. It’s personal but as ...more
Sara
5 Hearts

I am going to preface this review with a disclaimer that there will be a bit of rambling and the rambling may be of a personal nature. Books that have characters with addiction hit a special place for me and that place is close to home. You’d think with as much addiction in my life that I have dealt with I would steer clear of books with the content but maybe it’s my own sort of addiction that keeps me coming back? I am not sure but the dedication of this book had me tearing up with its
Cindi
My #1 book of 2017.

4.5 stars, rounded up.

Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

Jimmy, twenty-three, is a recovering addict. He's been in recovery for two years and is working hard to be the man he could've been before meth came into his world.

Marc, almost forty, works a boring office job and pretty much lives by routine. That wasn't always the case. It wasn't that long ago when he was hooking up with strangers he met online every chance he got.

Jimmy and Marc have
Kirstin
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The emotions in this story were so real and raw and powerful. Two broken souls both fighting to be better, hurting others in the process. How much forgiveness can be expected when you've caused so much hurt? This story is about second chances and mending what's broken to be deserving of them.

Jimmy is a recovering addict. It's been two years and he's got it together. But when Marc walks into his cafe and asks for a cinnamon roll, Jimmy has to figure out if he's worthy a second chance.

Marc has a
J.P. Jackson
Full review to follow.
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Angsty Stars

The Perils of Intimacy is a difficult book to review, because to give certain plot points away will spoil the journey. The author doesn't outright explain Jimmy's first encounter with Marc until nearly halfway into the book, so out of respect for the author and my fellow readers, I'm going to try my best to avoid it.

Jimmy is a recovering addict, trying to get his life in order- he works at a local diner and lives
justanya

Rick R. Reed's latest story is difficult to rate. The biggest irony of all lays within the title. We get an in-depth view of each characters' insecurities, shame and fears but that's as intimate as the story gets. We don't really know these guys outside of their inner monolog. Both of these guys live a pretty lonely existence. Mark's only friend is an older coworker. Mark reveals he used to be very promiscuous, hooking up with random guys and sometimes taking unnecessary risks. That's
Teetee
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 phenomenal stars! What an amazing read! Absolutely recommend it, great price on Google Play Books too!
Sammy Goode
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his latest release, The Perils Of Intimacy, Rick R. Reed draws us into the wrenching story of a young man who dares to dream that his life can truly be different the second time around. Two years clean, Jimmy has clawed his way back from a drug-addicted life that had led him to do despicable things and nearly killed him. Now working in a diner, he defies the odds each day by staying clean and slowly rebuilding his life piece by piece. When he catches sight of the beautiful fox at one of his ...more
Rachael Orman
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

I have to admit that I will pick up any book that Rick R. Reed writes. I am a huge fan of his. Some of his stories are more romance focused than others and this is one where there is most definitely something more important than the budding relationship between the two men.

Jimmy is dealing with a Crystal Meth addiction. He's been clean for two years, but that doesn't mean that temptation is there always trying to pull him back into
Jessie G.
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rick-r-reed
In the current, this story takes place over a short period of time—just 7 days—however, there’s that first encounter from two years ago that left an indelible impression on both characters. Through their thoughts, we see that not all their memories of that night are in sync, but one thing remains true: they never forgot each other.

Jimmy is two years into his recovery and looks completely different. He’s working as a waiter when Mark comes in for breakfast. They flirt and it doesn’t take long to
Nagisa Furukawa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5!
Definitely a different story. New. Addicting kinda, and oh look, the irony! (That is an irony, right?) anyway.
I haven't read a book like this ever. Not that I remember anyway. And I loved it. I stayed up until 2:30 AM reading! I haven't done that in a long while! This book was totally worth it.

Thank you, Rick R. Reed for this wonderful story.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This book was provided to me by the publisher through Hearts on Fire Reviews in exchange for an impartial review.

A powerfully moving story, this is told in first person POV—something I don’t usually like, but I found it to be perfect for conveying the character’s thoughts and emotions in this story.

When Jimmy spots Mark in the restaurant where he waits tables, he’s immediately attracted to the older man—a silver fox with bright eyes staring right back at him. Flirting comes easy to the
Lisa The Novel Approach
I finished Rick R. Reed’s The Perils of Intimacy late last week, and I’m still thinking about it days later. I imagine Jimmy and Marc are going to leave a lasting impression on most readers; it’s that kind of book. This isn’t an easy-breezy romance, but it’s also not a total angst fest. There are light moments—moments where you’ll chuckle at some funny reference or cute bit of dialogue—but, there are also lots of gut checks, and things that will make you stop and think.

Marc is quickly
Joyfully Jay
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

It is no secret that I am a Rick R. Reed fan and have enjoyed many of his past works. However, nothing could have prepared me for the way in which this novel would crawl under my skin and capture my heart and imagination so utterly. Reed has struck literary gold with these two characters and the story he weaves about their lives then and now is incredibly forceful and emotionally rich. I doubt I have ever loved an anti-hero such as Jimmy quite so much. Broken and
Lila Hunter

Review to follow at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

ARC provided by Dreamspinner Press in exchange for an honest review.

Lee
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an enjoyable read. Well written, realistic characters, and witty dialogue.
Four Stars!
Bogusia
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, 2017
I really can't express how much I loved this book :)
Highly recommended.
Cathy Brockman
The Perils of Intimacy is a very deep story. It is about a young man that is a recovering addict and cleaning himself up. He has been clean for two years, works in a restaurant and attends NA meetings.
One morning a man comes into the restaurant that he wants to get to know then he realizes where he has seen him before. It is from his dark past, and he did tings he wishes he hadn't. But you cant take back the past. Will that ruin his future?

The story is written in first person alternating views
Tristan
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5

For some reason, I got an impression that the pairing is already in an established relationship. They aren't, which is fine in itself. However, I will get to the issue with this later.

As the blurb had already covered, the book is about a recovering addicted who mistakes from his past is catching up to him. Consequently, the story is about second chance, accepting and forgiveness. All fairly novel messages, except for its delivery and its attitude towards the issue here: drugs.

I
Donna
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-lgbtq-read
For me, this was a 4-star read up until the very end... and then it became a 5-star read because I like to think we all have a "Mariam" in our lives. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil the story!

Mr. Reed took on a very complex issue with this story and threw in another just to make things even more poignant... and made a huge success of it all! I think the thing that surprised me the most if the fact that I didn't cry... this story will take your heart and twist it inside out and
Sharon Tyler
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Perils of Intimacy by Rick R. Reed is a contemporary romance currently scheduled for release on January 27 2020. Mark believes he’s meeting Jimmy for the first time in the diner where he works, but he’s wrong. Mark has no recollection of their original encounter because the wholesome Jimmy of today couldn’t be more different than he was two years ago. Back then, Jimmy sported multiple piercings and facial hair. He was painfully skinny—and a meth addict. The drug transformed him into a lying, ...more
Charles
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I received this book for free from NineStar Press in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

First I want to say thank you to NinePress for allowing me to read this Advanced Reader's Copy. Now on to the review!

Oh, what can I say, The Perils of Intimacy drew me in from the first few pages. I think it was the writing style that caught my attention. Each part of the book is written from the character's point of view, and that was very
Amy Dufera
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rick Reed's The Perils of Intimacy is a deep and intense read.

Upon a second chance meeting with Mark, Jimmy is no longer the drugged out thief that he once was. Their past is complicated, making the decision of when and how to come clean about his identity an even bigger complication.

The feelings with this one are intense, as the reader is fully brought into this heart-breaking tale. People change, but confessions are never easy.

The issue of addiction is well handled, written with knowledge
Victoria Loves Books
The Perils of Intimacy is a very emotional story of two men struggling with the truth of their addictions along with a second chance relationship. Rick Reed paints a very sobering view of the struggles with addiction and this one hit too close to home for me. I have to say that Rick did not sugar coat this at all. This book pulled at my heartstrings, but also made me smile.

Mark and Jimmy embark on a 2nd chance relationship that starts out on a little deception; Mark doesn’t remember meeting
Charlotte
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel brought me to tears a few times. Not surprising. This is the third novel of Rick Reed's that I've read and each one of them has been packed with visceral emotion and well-developed characters. Honestly, I'm running out of good descriptive words for how fabulous I think Rick's books are. His voice is a truly important one in the world of LGBTQIA+ writing.

Again, these are NOT Gay romance novels. These are "own-voices" novels. They have such authenticity about them, it's remarkable. The
Suze
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, not such a romance story really although there are two men and they do get together but I guess in reality the romance would happen after this ends - but the opportunity is there at the end.
Marc and Jimmy are more a second chance, cautionary tale. My thoughts were they were both living on hopes and fears.
Marc hoping he can beat his insecurities, that he lives up to expectations and fears being alone
Jimmy is hoping Marc doesn’t recignise himand fears sliding back into drugs.
I liked Miriam

• To the Flame
  • The Empires of Luxor City
  • We Still Live
  • The Edge of the World
  • Love on the Spectrum
  • Howling on Hold
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Feralsong (Green Creek #3.5)
  • Lord of Thundertown
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Jeremiah (High Rise, #1)
  • Ends of the Earth
  • Blind Faith (Blind Faith, #1)
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Father of the Groom (Love and Care, #1)
  • Gay Romance Holiday Collection
  • Omega Kidnapped (Bad Guys and Babies #1)
  • The Wolf and the Sparrow
Real Men. True Love.

Rick R. Reed draws inspiration from the lives of gay men to craft stories that quicken the heartbeat, engage emotions, and keep the pages turning. Although he dabbles in horror, dark suspense, and comedy, his attention always returns to the power of love. He’s the award-winning and bestselling author of more than fifty works of published fiction and is forever at work on yet