Start by marking “Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet” as Want to Read:
Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet

Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet

One of Wall Street?s most powerful and lauded women shares her strategies for long-term success in any career

While climbing the corporate ladder, Carla Harris sought career advice from her mentors and superiors but found some of the counsel too nonspecific. As Carla?s career advanced, she discovered the key survival tools to business success and vowed that when she reache
Published January 22nd 2009 by Hudson Street Press (first published January 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Expect to Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expect to Win

Start your review of Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet
Willie Green
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carla Harris does a terrific job of providing a compilation of questions to ask yourself, steps to how to go about career progress, and more importantly the how, why and examples of all the above to take control of your career. As a professional that's more than 10 years into my career, I would encourage anyone who is just starting out or knows someone that is just starting their career to be given this book. Specifically for those that are going into larger companies and corporations as it will ...more
Alwilson
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn't read it straight through, instead I chose chapters to enjoy. Another book for being successful in business. When I first bought it I couldn't put it down. I bought it for a friend, ended up keeping it and buy my friend another book.

I'll keep you posted on if it helps me in the workplace :-)!
Latonya Rochelle
The best career advice book I've read. Key takeaways: construct your own career agenda; align yourself with the right people; how people perceive you will directly impact how they deal with you: build your personal brand with authenticity; have a mentor, sponsor and adviser in your corner; speak up in meetings - exercise your voice; and show up with your best self everyday - expect to win.
Leandra
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Carla doesn't mess around give true honest advise to manage your career. I have seen her speak which is impactful! Her book is just as impactful!

I like her true grit honesty...this book is not fluffy. She is realistic about how to build relationships and that you are the one who manages your career...one one else.

She is clear how people perceive you and how they think of you is important. Her key is you can change the way people think about you simply by changing the way you behave, the things y
Nadaa
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and important book

I’ve seen Carla Harris speak twice and I absolutely loved her, so I decided to read her book. This book is about how to succeed in your professional life and instead of being one of those annoying pompous business books, this one is grounded in spirituality and universal truths. I agree complete with her advice about setting your own agenda at work, speaking up, taking risks, helping others, and coming to work each day with an expectation and determination to win.

I p
Gentry
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
jewelthinks
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! So on time! I immediately began to implement her tips and immediately began to see results. I want every Black woman to read this regardless of industry.

It's so informative, spot on, yet so conversational. Reading ETW, chapter after chapter, is like having session after session
with your trusted mentor!

A few standout quotes:

"Expecting to win, my body language changed, my speech changed, and my mentality changed. Everything about me reflected a winners attitude. This even works on thi
Diana
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Carla Harris spoke at a business school conference I attended last year. The crux of her message, and one of the main takeaways from her book (which was free at the conference, woot), was an important lesson: putting your head down and working hard will get you only so far. At a certain point, if you have not managed your relationships and network well in your work environment, you will start to lag and stagnate in your career.

This is a tough lesson that goes against the grain of a long-held fal
Joan Fernandez
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear and compassionate how-to-win career advice

Funny timing – our women’s ‘investment reading book club’ chose to read Expect to Win over the holidays because we wanted lighter reading versus the usual investment topics. Little did we know that when we all met the majority of us had either just changed jobs or in the midst of looking. Perfect timing! Carla Harris is tough, compassionate and straight forward in her career advice. Among the ah-ha moments: Getting a sponsor in your career is neith
Emily
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ultimately, this is just another feel-good, rah-rah cheerleader book about how you can succeed if you just put your mind to it without a whole lot in the way of action items. If you just skip to the end of every chapter, there is a list of each of Carla's Pearls (of Wisdom) that summarize what you should take away from each chapter. I'd suggest reading those first and then flipping back to read more in-depth if any of it speaks to you or surprises you.

Perhaps this book is just better geared for
Reba
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So...this is way outside my comfort zone. I would never have picked this book up on my own, but I guess that is the magic and beauty of book clubs.

Diving right in, the first chapter. I actually loved it and found it very applicable. So far, so good, even if I am not a business type.

Chapter Two. Hehe. Talk about hitting a wall. Harris talks about creating and using a career agenda as a guide. Now don't get me wrong. This is sound, admirable advice. But so over my head! I have approached my care
Kristi Duarte
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carla Harris, in person, is an inspirational figure. She came to speak at my company, and I must say that I am wiser because I heard her speak of her experiences. I believe that for someone in the beginning of their career, at the bottom of the ladder, this book could be life and career changing. For someone who has already been in the workplace for 30 years and is already at or close to the top, a bit less so. I recommend this book to anyone who feels stuck in their career and feels that others ...more
Mark
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
I caught Carla at the CFA conference and highly recommend a live presentation / performance: She is dynamite in human form. Bought her books there as an excuse to meet, and found her warm and personable. A bit disappointed by this book, though. The pearls are great, and I've validated many if not all of them over the course of my career. The repeated nods to her faith are refreshing--rare to see in business. But the text is absurdly dry and rife with grammatical errors and clichés. Find a better ...more
Jill
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was geared toward a niche market, financial professionals. The “lingo” Carla used required a level of financial understanding and the examples provided were all from within the financial industry. However, the shear factor that set this book apart from other business-minded books was the financial setting and financial experiences, as they related to Carla. It is for this reason I enjoyed the book, but for this same reason a broader audience may not.

For the full review, visit: https:/
Lu
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best career advice for folks in a corporate environment that I've ever read. I will be sharing my copy with my team at work. The last two chapters include a lot of references to Carla's Christian faith, which is unusual for a business book, but she tactfully explained that her faith is important to her and because she advocates for people to be their authentic selves, she felt including her faith was consistent with her message. I would love to meet Carla some day!
Meg
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Carla's Pearls at the end of each chapter and the examples to help explain how and why to use them. I've seen Carla speak several times now and she is extraordinary. The book had some great concepts but was missing her dynamic delivery, thus the 3 stars. Still very worthwhile and I'm still a Carla-believer.
Diana
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So lucky to read through the book written by Carla Harris, the practical manual „for thriving in the workplace“. The author is not only a tough banker with strong business acumen, but also a professional singer and a devout Christian. We can learn lots of strategies from her attitude, experience and talent.
Peter P.
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw Carla speak and I was captivated. As I was reading this book, I kept wait for THAT Carla to show up and it just didn't happen. She is warm and engaging in person and she gives the listener a nice insight into her personal story. The book feels preachy and impersonal. It has some solid advice, especially for ambitious early-career professionals, but it fell very short for me.
Renee
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this is easily one of the best business books I’ve ever read. She really goes beyond the common phrases and ideas and suggests specific conversations and timing to progress your career. It wasn’t filled with fluff, and each sentence held value.
Vivek Pokharel
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The book only talks about succeeding at work and does not talk about being a good co-worker at work.
Derek Hoskin
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-business
One of best books I️ have ever read.
Alli Bittner
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carla gives relatable, tangible, actionable advice that is useful in any profession, without “tooting her own horn” too much. Great read!
Peggy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars, success
Saw Carla on a television show and was very impressed with what she had to say. The book is excellent for anyone in a corporate business but there are life lessons for everyone.
Diane
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful and easy to read
Earl Jackson
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Loved how down to earth and practical the advice is!
Amber
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, business
Amazing read! Highly recommend for anyone who wants to direct and lead their own career.
Jasmin
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A must read for anyone, especially in their early career. Everything after the first chapter was total value add for me!
Deborah McComas
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the best professional development books I have read. Carla Harris’ style of writing is practical, her advice is actionable. LOVE this book.
Nhu Luong
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I have started this book earlier as a first generation college student who doesn’t know what to expect from the workplace.

Highly recommend for new grads entering the industry!
Jill
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for work and totally loved it. It is full of great, business-related info and made me wish I’d read it before I started my current job. I will definitely revisit this one.

• The Woman Who Wouldn't
  • River of Heaven
  • Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System from Crisis — and Themselves
  • Rodham
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Even If We Break
  • Satan: His Psychotherapy and Cure by the Unfortunate Dr. Kassler, J.S.P.S.
  • The Myth of the Nice Girl: Achieving a Career You Love Without Becoming a Person You Hate
  • Trump: The Art of the Deal
  • Four Friends
  • The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1)
  • Good News Bible