Start by marking “Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree” as Want to Read:
Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Life is not about achieving perfection, it's about reconciling with your imperfections.

Poems are fragments of life. In Simi K. Rao’s unique poetry collection for women, there are blissful moments; deep, invisible wounds; cries for help; declarations of defiance and philosophical observations. The poems and prose pieces compiling the collection are fragments of life
Published September 30th 2019 by Written Dreams Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree

Start your review of Under the Shade of the Banyan Tree
Merril Anil
First of all a huge thanks to the author and the team for allowing me to experience a beautiful and unique piece of work. Under the shade of the Banyan tree was a mixed bag for me. You can't exactly call it a work of poetry or a collection of Short stories because it is both. This fact actually surprised me, Intrigued me and at the same time kind of irritated me. So I am going to deal with the review in two halves as to what worked and what didn't in the book for me. Let's begin with the ...more
Agapi Gregoriou Loreley
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
"A beautiful maiden, a nasty dream, a sensitive bitch, a stoic queen..."

I am a survivor. I'm a proud feminist. It’s only natural to read these amazing words and genuinely smile! These words speak to me so, so loudly on such a deep level...

A massive 'Thank you' to the author, Simi K. Rao and to Kelsey Butts for letting me experience this unique reading journey.

This book is a collection of intense short stories. It is also a collection of heart-wrenching poetry. If you want to read about a
Priyasree
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read all the novels/books by Simi K Rao. This collection of poems and short stories is different from her previous books but it is yet another a marvellous work by her.
Let me begin with the cover of the book first, which deserves to be mentioned. The cover consisting the picture of banyan tree, is nostalgia to me, it takes me back to my childhood days. I have fallen in love with it.
Now coming to the poems, they are simple yet have a profound meaning. Each of the poems tells a story of
Sudha Mahadevan
Simi K Rao has the gift. She is on familiar grounds, while spinning a yarn or while giving a poetic touch. I can relate to the nosegay of experiences. She just needs to describe and the story evolves. Never once does she sink into the pedantic. Awaiting her next release.
Sonali
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Simi k Rao ! You can’t help but see the world in a different light
Mahathi Ramya
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of short and sweet poems featured by Simi is like the mirror of life's moments. These poems are some subtle moments expressing the feelings or reminiscing some lovely memories.

I usually don't enjoy poetry, so I don't pick poetry books to read. But, this poetry is simple to understand and clearly written from the heart.

I loved some poems like - War, Me is all I can be, Life an ugly cousin.

The Stranger really reminded me of someone that I know. The poem 'Woman' is heart touching.
Surabhi Kaushik
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sudha
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful poems on wonder women, author. You have penned down their 'Silent screams' with empathy and emphatically too in this book. I could truly connect with the genuine emotions.
Interesting short stories.
I am not fond of Chai but your 'A Cup of Chai' is my favorite, author. Loved it.
Thanks for writing this awe-inspiring masterpiece.

• Anathema
  • stories in a satchel
  • No One Can Pronounce My Name
  • The Far Field
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • The Tomb in Turkey (Fethering, #16)
  • Rome in Love
  • Arranged Love: A Short, Dreamy & Passionate Romance
  • Bound By Duty (The Singham Bloodlines #3)
  • Pretend To Be Mine: A Marriage Contract Romance
  • Tied to You: A Passionate Kidnap Romance
  • The Arrangement: A Passionate Romance
  • Simply Irresistible (A Celebrity Romance)
Simi K. Rao was born and grew up in India before relocating to the U.S., where she has lived for several years.

The inspiration for her books, and other projects, comes from her own experience with cross-cultural traditions, lifestyles and familial relationships, as well as stories and anecdotes collected from friends, family and acquaintances.

Rao enjoys exploring the dynamics of contemporary