Start by marking “A Breath Apart” as Want to Read:
A Breath Apart

A Breath Apart

The Fischers are the only family Brennan has ever known, and when they adopt him, he has no plans on doing anything to jeopardize that. Even if it means pretending Josh Daly doesn’t make his heart pound every time their eyes meet.

The tension eases once Josh heads off to a Christian University on a baseball scholarship. Brennan stays put in Elm Grove to work at his family
Published July 2nd 2019 by Christina Lee

To ask other readers questions about A Breath Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Breath Apart

Start your review of A Breath Apart
Wendy
4,5

I have been on a real YA / NA streak lately and when I read the blurb for this one, I know I had to add it to my list. I sounded absolutely perfect to me and guess what ?? It really was !! I absolutely loved this sweet, but also a bit angsty, slow burn.

Those of you who are not a fan of insta love are definitely gonna love this one, because these two guys really take their sweet time... I kept screaming at them to kiss !!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor kiss alread</strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></span>
  <span id=4,5

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor kiss already gif

In the back of their heads, Brennan and Josh have always known there was something more between the two of them than friendship. But with both of them being so young still and Brennan just being adopted into his new family, not to mention Josh's extremely religious parents, neither of them really gave it a second thought. Until now that is...

cuteness...

Both of them are adults now and neither of them has ever dated a girl....and they are finally starting to fully realize why. But realizing why doesn't make things any easier for them. Brennan is afraid his adoptive family won't want him anymore and Josh has been lectured enough about homosexuality enough to know his family will never accept him being gay...

But the heart wants what it wants and these boys definitely want each other !!

guys kissing - Google zoeken

These two were so adorable together. Seeing them make a connection and fall in love....discovering each other in all ways. It took them a while, but that first kiss was definitely worth the wait. So sweet and so hot ;)

But as they grew closer and more and more in love, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop...because it always does.

other shoe to drop gif - Google zoeken

It did of course but it wasn't all as bad as I thought it would be. I know this author can do really angsty when she wants to, but this book was pretty mild...at least I feel that way. Then again, I am a big angst-lover...

I highly recommend this one !!

An ARC was provided to
postedonlogo
in exchange for an honest review

Twitter_85f instagram-button-1_8f7_fbc 200px-Button_Icon_Orange_svg_1_519 social_facebook_button_blue_25b BB_96x96_bc5

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is a well written, poignant story, but I couldn't relate to the MCs at all. They were so young, still teenagers, barely older than my daughter. They were naive and innocent, and all caught up in shame and guilt. There was so much religion and teenage angst. Low steam, HFN, just not my thing.

That's all ME though. I knew the demographic going in. If you enjoy YA stories, you'll like this book.
Meags
4 Stars

A Breath Apart is a new adult M/M romance that will be perfect for fans of novels such as Autoboyography and Goodbye Paradise – all three of which are coming-of-age type stories featuring young men learning to embrace their sexuality, all while dealing with the anxieties and difficulties that often go along with being queer in heavily religious families and towns.

Very straightforward in
Susan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 67%

I don’t think YA/NA books where nothing really happens besides the two boys’ teen angst are for me anymore.

I know not that much has to happen in a book, but here I felt like nothing happened. We had Brennan, who was an okay character, but not that special. And we had Josh, who was actually a lot like Brennan.

Josh struggled with his family and their religious beliefs and Brennan struggled with being adopted in his teens and was afraid his family would send
Cadiva
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful example of the young adult romance that Christina Lee has such a knack for.

It's beautifully written, Josh and Brennan's emotions, fears and hopes are lovingly laid out in an exploration of the joys and pains of falling in love for the first time.

I wasn't sure how it was going to go and spent a fair bit of time waiting for the hammer to drop in some way, but it was still a gut twister when it eventually came.

But, as this is a romance, I knew there'd be
Ele
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-na, lgbtq
*2.5 stars*

I'm sorry...I was just so bored. So repetitive and uneventful and slow. I'm definitely the odd man out.
.Lili.
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A Breath Apart by Christina Lee is a lovely coming of age story of Brennan, who grew up in the foster care system and just wants to belong, be a part of a family and Josh, whose family is extremely religious and unyielding. The two had a connection from their childhood whom unbeknownst to both- neither has forgotten.

Home on break from college for the summer, Josh impulsively asks Brennan to help him coach his dad's junior baseball team. And just as spontaneously Brennan agrees. The more time they spend together, the
Snjez
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it

As lovely as Brennan and Josh were, their story failed to touch me on a deeper level.

First of all, I've read stories like this before, so there was nothing new here.

Second of all, I feel I no longer enjoy stories where the characters have to hide who they are because they are afraid of what their friends or their (religious) parents would think. It's even worse when the church gets involved.

Not only did Brennan and Josh have to come to terms with who they were
Christina
Jul 03, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
💙💙💙A BREATH APART is LIVE!💙💙💙

Amazon (KU): https://amzn.to/2FPbNNj
Universal Link: mybook.to/ABreathApart

#collegeagevirgins #slowburn #sweetandswoony
haletostilinski
Overall I enjoyed this story. I thought Brennan and Josh were the cutest and sweetest, they had great chemistry and such a strong love, and I really believed it and felt it coming off the page, which is a huge plus for me.

My only true gripe was how slow this was. It was hard to get past parts in this at first, not only because of the slow pace but also because sometimes this went quite a bit without real interaction between these two, and then there would be a small interaction but not enough. It t
Denise H.
5 STARS ! A must read for anyone who loves an M/M romance. Here we have the beautiful writing of Christina Lee, and this book was acclaimed for the story and the awesome narration by Molly Ringwald. I didn't do the audio, but completely loved this tale.

We have two teens, senior, artistic Brennan, adopted son of the local Drive-in Theater folks, and Josh, a jock, one year older, a college freshman, who has extreme church-loving parents and he works at an ice cream shop for this summer. Josh asks Bren
Elsbeth

*3.5 stars*

Very sweet coming-of-age story. I'm not sure I enjoy these strories that much any more. As if figuring out your sexuality is not hard enough... My heart breaks when these boys had to go through possibly been rejected by parents, friends and church. That's not how Love is supposed to be!!!

Thankfully it was getting better for them in a few months but I hate they were traumatised by it any way. No one should be ashamed of who they are.

Need something sappy now.<
Shannon
A Breath Apart was such a lovely, heart wrenching coming-of-age love story. Boy, did Josh and Brennan ever tug at my heart! Being along on their journey of self-discovery was something special.

This was a sweet, slow burn romance between two young men just starting to learn about themselves and come to terms with who they were. It wasn’t an easy road, with Brennan concerned with how his adoptive family would react, and Josh having to deal with his ultra-religious parents. But you can’t cho
Tammy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing-books
Sweet innocent young romance! 🥰
Karen
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Christina Lee writes the sweetest characters. Josh Daly and Brennan Fischer are super, super sweet.

Ah first love! Isn’t it grand?

A Breath Apart is mostly written from Brennan’s point of view. We find out about his family life and how his time as a foster child has shaped the man he’s becoming. He has his self doubt but then he’s so in tune with other people’s feelings and he’s protective too. I would love him to be my best friend.

Josh’s thoughts and feelings are shared t
Bev
I freely admit I do seem to have some issues with Christina Lee and her stories. We never seem to be completely in sync and unfortunately that was also the case this time around. The writing was OK, the two main MC's were likeable enough, but this story has been told so many times before...there was nothing new in it for me 😕. It's a coming of age/coming out story with religious overtones where one family fully accepts their son for who he is and the other tries to make their son pray the gay away ...more
Funzee Shu
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m going to shut my eyes and pretend because that’s all I can do. Pretend that maybe, somehow, we can be more than a breath apart...

This is a beautiful story about innocent love between two young man who trying to understand the undeniable connection that grow between them, the struggle and obstacles they must face before finally have their HEA.

I love how the author writes the story, the slow burn and slow pace combined with the amazing writing had made this book totally engaging right from the beginnin
Misha Carlstedt Robinson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story touched my heart deeply and also broken it. One of my favorite m/m romances to date.
Michael S.
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A familiar young adult coming-out romance done well and with so much heart.

No big surprises here, but that’s okay. If you’re in the mood for an earnest story with just enough angst to provide contrast, this is lovely. Gay romance equivalent of a warm cup of sweet tea with a little slice of lemon.
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
This latest by Christina Lee is a venture in experiencing first love in a world where who we love may not always be accepted by everyone.

Brennan and Josh have known each other all through high school, but didn't really hang in the same circles. The summer Brennan graduates high school and Josh has finished one year of college, the two of them decide to hang out together. Brennan helps Josh coach a little league baseball team. they joke around, play and eventually share some pretty big secrets.
Esther
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet NA story. And when you manage to get me teared up, you get 5 stars!
Kim
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5+ stars
This is a heartfelt and engaging coming of age, M/M love story.

Brennan Fischer survived the foster care system and was adopted but still harbors some self-worth and abandonment issues. He is quiet, shy, kind, and responsible.

Josh Daly comes from a strict religious family with pressure to follow the rules and excel in sports. He has been away at a Christian college that continues to enforce religion and morality, so he is constantly scrutinized and is becoming more and more conflicted about himself, religious
UltraMeital
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, new-adult
I had a busy few weeks so this is actually the first book I've read in July! and though I was REALLY anxious to read it I didn't want to do it a disservice by reading it when I'm not mentally available so I waited a bit and BOY am I happy I did. It's been a while since I found myself shamelessly shedding tears while reading a book. Brennan and Josh simply BROKE MY HEART. Luckily Christina managed to patch it back together in the end...

I actually really like the way this book was constructed. We only ge
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars

I loved both Brennan and Josh, they were both adorably sweet and a bit naive. They are only 18 and 19 years-old and they came across as that young and maybe a bit innocent and sheltered. I loved watching them work through what they were feeling for each other and once they got together, the progression of their exploration of their feelings, both emotionally and sexually, felt realistic and natural.

This was not always an easy story to read. I absolutely despise Josh’s paren
Heather
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brennan and Josh

This was a lovely love story of two young men discovering their sexuality and finding themselves together. I loved how their story developed as them first discovering each other several years prior. Both Brennan and Josh came away from that experience with their own feelings. Those feelings became a touchstone for each of them as they came to understand being different than their friends. When they ran into each other again they began building a new friendship together out of co
Neta
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Josh and Brennan were very sweet together in a very YA, coming of age kind of way.
I think there was something a bit stunted with the plot, I felt like they were too naive at times and that the way they were so oblivious to being gay was confusing- like the book actually takes place in the 80's or 90's. Like culturally the story seemed like it was off or the time period was a bit unclear. I am not sire, I don't mind and actually like Slow Burn stories but here it was just... didn't flow as
Shelley
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Breath Apart is a story of two young men navigating their way from adolescence to adulthood and at the same time trying to figuring out their sexuality. How Josh and Brennan come together is an amazing story of growth, self awareness and love.

This is a slow burn romance that is easy to read and will make you smile throughout, especially at the drive-in scene where they share a private moment.

Christina Lee is an excellent author and A Breath Apart is one of the best books I've read this year.
Barbieeee♥
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The leaves are changing, there’s a chill in the air, and just now I could’ve sworn I felt the ghost of his fingertips against my skin. But it was probably only the breeze. It made me ache with need. And also sowed some doubt. As if what we shared had been a figment of my imagination. But screw that. There’s no way I’ll ever forget how he tasted like sunshine and smelled like summer.”

DONE READING. NOW I START CRYING. AGAIN.

So heartbreakingly beautiful. Was a bit dragging at first, such a slow burn
Tracy Perry
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow... What a story. So good. I loved it even though the tears. I loved Josh & Brennan right away. They had a beautiful but hard love story of renewed friends to lovers. It was so sweet with a bit of angst. So many feels. A beautiful ending for a beautiful book. Awesome bonus scene too. A Must Read!
Dee
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed “A Breath Apart”

Christina Lee weaves such a lovely story of personal discovery and first love. The story is mainly told from Brennan’s POV, but each chapter ends with Josh’s thoughts and feelings explored through his journal writing and introspection. Both main characters are just realizing their sexuality as the story begins, but each also has reason to fear coming out to his family.

These guys are crushing hard on each other, and that attraction that builds when Josh is homApart”
« previous 1 3 next »

• Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Love Always
  • Out in the Field (Out in College, #4)
  • Rocket Science
  • Broken Play (Sugar Land Saints #2)
  • Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers, #2)
  • Long Way Home
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Always Mine (Love in Eden #1)
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • King Me (Forever Wilde, #7)
  • Game On (Fever Falls #5)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Poetry in Motion
  • Flash Rip
  • #Royal (Fever Falls, #4)
  • Imitation of Life (Rock Bottom #2)
Mother, wife, reader, dreamer. Christina lives in the Midwest with her husband and son--her two favorite guys. She's addicted to lip balm, coffee, and kissing. Because everything is better with kissing.

She writes MM Contemporary as well as Adult and New Adult Romance. She believes in happily-ever-afters for all, so reading and writing romance for everybody under the rainbow helps quench her soul.