Start by marking “The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience” as Want to Read:
The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience

The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience

Hillary Rodham Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, share the stories of the gutsy women who have inspired them—women with the courage to stand up to the status quo, ask hard questions, and get the job done.

She couldn’t have been more than seven or eight years old. “Go ahead, ask your question,” her father urged, nudging her forward. She smiled shyly and said, “You’re my
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published October 1st 2019 by Simon Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Gutsy Women, please sign up.
Jan *Crusade for Justice by Ida B. Wells

This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer

Sisters: The Lives of America's Suffragists by Jean H.…more
*Crusade for Justice by Ida B. Wells

This Little Light of Mine: The Life of Fannie Lou Hamer

Sisters: The Lives of America's Suffragists by Jean H. Baker

The Woman's Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote by Elaine F. Weiss

Alice Paul and the Fight for Women's Rights from the Vote to the Equal Rights Amendment by Deborah Kops

100 Nasty Women of History by Hannah Jewell

The Hungry Heart by Zoe Nicholson - ERA activist in the 70's

Suffragists in Washington, D.C.: The 1913 Parade and the Fight for the Vote by Rebecca Boggs Roberts

What Would Boudicca Do?: Everyday Problems Solved by History's Most Remarkable Women by Elizabeth Foley

African American Women and the Vote, 1837-1965 by Joyce Avrech Berkman

Votes for Women: The Story of Carrie Chapman Catt by Barbara A. Somervill

My Own Story by Emmeline Pankhurst

Sonia Johnson by Jesse Russell(less)

Start your review of The Book of Gutsy Women: Favorite Stories of Courage and Resilience
Derek Lynch
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this. Hillary and Chelsea are clear, concise, thoughtful, funny writers and I’m thrilled about the diverse group of women they included in this book. I’ve added so many memoirs from the women featured in this to my Want To Read list. I learned a lot from this book.
Sahitya
I was very excited to know about the release of this book when I think I first saw Hillary and Chelsea on Stephen Colbert’s show and have been waiting to read it since then. Obviously it had a bit of a waitlist at my library(why am I surprised), so it took me this long to get to it.

As someone who doesn’t know much about American history (because I never studied it), the only knowledge I have gained is through TV shows, documentaries, articles and maybe a few books, in the past 5-6 years. And it
Sandi
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a phenomenal collection of essays about women who have made a lasting difference in the world. Some of them I had heard of before. Many of whom I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't. This collection of their stories is rich with diversity of race, nationality, physical abilities, time in history, and reason for celebrating their accomplishments. I honestly think this should be required reading for anyone who wants to consider themselves well educated in the achievements of women across ...more
Owlseyes
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
“Each of these women has fought and won the kinds of victories that pave the way for progress for all of us,” said Clinton.
Maybe, but she lost the 2016 Presidential election. She lost it. That's What happened.

UPDATE
Maybe she thinks she's the gutsiest of them all....

UPDATE

The next edition of this book should include Tulsi Gabbard. She's really gutsy.

Fountain Of Chris
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is, essentially, an encyclopedia. If you approach as such - and as a stepping off point for further exploration of prominent and influential women - you will avoid some disappointment others might feel.

We are all going to have certain women we think should be in a book like this, but who don't make it, for whatever reason. I won't hold that against Clinton^2, because it is an inherent limitation to any project of this sort. My biggest criticism is that the book doesn't do enough with the
Lisa
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! I saw Hillary and Chelsea's interview on CBS Sunday Morning and realized I needed to learn more about these Gutsy Women. I picked it up at the library and was discouraged by it's heft. It's more like a coffee table book, not one I could easily stuff in my bag to read at lunch. But it was the perfect book to read during commercials and I thought I'd just skim. I couldn't put it down. Every gutsy woman was about 4 pages; a length I could manage and packed with interesting facts that ...more
Wendy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to give to young women. Young women are often given the message that they are not good enough. Or, they can't do this or that because they're girls. I have young nieces and it breaks my heart when I hear them spout these things that they hear. This book is the perfect antidote. You get listings of wonderful women who have accomplished great, even "impossible" things. It's inspiring and gives hope. I listened to the audiobook and it's always a bonus to listen to the authors ...more
Nicole Fogg Hudson
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was looking forward to learning about the stories of these women, unfortunately the entire book was tainted with Hillary's bitter political comment through out. This could of been a completely totally enjoyable audio book, but instead I would cringe and seriously consider if I even wanted to listen to any more every time I had the listen to her bitter political digs.
Donna Lewis
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful informative look at the gutsy women of the world. I did not know:
• On her third trip to the south to rescue her husband, Harriet Tubman found that he had remarried, so she decided that “if he could do without her, she could do without him.” She went on to bring hundreds of slaves to freedom.
• Helen Keller confounded the ACLU.
• When “Sesame Street” aired on PBS in 1969, a Mississippi state commission voted to ban the show. Public outcry forced its reinstatement.” I had the good
stella Lee
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that I would actually buy then keep on reading again and again. Written by a dynamic mother daughter duo, they have listed so many wonderful examples of female protagonists from whom I can learn and want to learn much more. I am enjoying listening to both Hilary and Chelsea’s voices and their personal experiences as well as those selected females trail blazers and heroines. While they talk about many well-known figures such as Nightingales, Amelia Earhart, Madam Curie, ...more
Corin
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The stories are interesting and personal, and the structure of the book is well done.
Niamh
I wanted to love it. I really, really did. But this 400+ page book, stuffed full of amazing women from hundreds of different creeds, feels a little...ordinary. The Clinton's have a great writing style, but it presents a 'quantity over quality' issue through this book. I definitely learned a lot and found some new interesting women in history, but I never quite felt connected to it. And whilst the book contains many women who have worked in the fields of politics, lawmaking, sport and general ...more
Judi
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Truth is, I only read about 40 pages when I realized this is probably a book best read by 6th to 9th graders. Two or three pages devoted to each woman, very simplistic language and just not worth time for me to read it alone. However, I most likely will be reading it along with my 9 y/o granddaughter, who is a bit young to red it all by herself, but probably will enjoy reading it together and talking about each woman's accomplishments.
Claudia
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing!! I love this book!
Becky
This was a great book to listen while I walked each morning.
I did know a little bit here & there about many of the women in this book, but the background was a little deeper & more personal. Chelsea & Hillary took turns talking & gave some personal insight about many of the women.

The book was split into sections depending on where these "gutsy" women made their name in history- Athletes, Healers, Education etc....it was pretty lengthy.

I enjoyed learning "more" about the women I
Rebecca Gregory
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly important book. It raised my respect for Hillary and Chelsea Clinton even higher. I learned things about them that I didn't know. Both truly remarkable women.
But more than that they paid homage with the stories of so many women of courage. I'm happy to know their stories.
The book inspired me to ask my friends what their "Gutsy" time was and have been inspired by the stories, many of them I didn't know. I think the best legacy of this book is for us to tell our stories of courage
Marianne K. Benvenuti
So many stories of courage

This is a very long book, justifying so. Women, especially women of color have historically been taught to remain silent. Thanks to Hillary and Chelsea for bringing their stories to the light of day. I would add a few more names for consideration, possible for another book: Hillary Rodham Clinton, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Oprah Winfrey, Chanel Miller, Sister Joan Chisiter (sp?), Dorothy Day, Mother Teresa, and, hopefully soon, the first woman President of the United States
Marion
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! There are so many wonderful women featured, and it was refreshing to read about them! The particular selection of each women is excellent and enlightening. Women have come a long, long way thanks to the brave, resilient, courageous, hardworking, and marvelous lives dedicated to enabling women to shine. to further complete equality, to be valued and treasured, and to succeed. We must keep up the great work!
KC
A great compilation of all kinds of gutsy women throughout history.
Cathy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into the book. It was a little to elementary for me. That said, I think it would be an important book to have in a school library or classroom library. I think there are young girls who would enjoy a first glimpse at a collection of women who overcame great obstacles and odds to work their way into the pages of history. For me though, there was little in the way of any new information so it quickly became a tedious read and a bit of a disappointment.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Jammed full of great information including the achievements of brilliant and strong women. I learned a lot and it made me very proud to be who Iam.
I just had a problem with the narration. It was stiff and seemed to have no life to it.
Linda
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! I'd never heard of some of the incredible women featured in the book. Why is that? Why does history marginalize the achievements of women? Some of the stories that showed how hard women have had to fight for a place at the table made me angry. Many stories brought tears to my eyes. ALL of the stories made me proud to be a woman. It's almost 2020. When are we going to step up and stop people (mostly men) from ruining the world? Women owe it to humankind to do something.
diane kerr
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's nothing like a Dame!

A terrific compilation of Herstories that anyone should enjoy learning who these women are and take a few minutes to reflect on & acknowledge the women we know in our daily lives who do something to make a difference.
Paul
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great idea for a book (and wonderful photo on the cover). I liked reading about women I already knew about, and finding out about ones I had not heard of. I like when the authors would say when they first heard about some of this women. Inspiring book.
Cdhutson
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and it was my first audible. It narrated by the authors and very well done. Not only was it informative, but it was fascinating to hear how many women had so much influence even behind the scenes.
Karen Barbieri
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just loved grogs book on so many women and their accomplishments. A book that all women young and old should take the time to read and feel inspired to help others.
Jessica Bellas
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Very inspiring !
Laurie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read for women! Strong,independent, smart women have had such an impact on society. It is time they are revealed. There were women in this book I never heard of.These stories and more need to be told and brought out of the dark!
John Pehle
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton have provided a dizzying array of female role models for the reader to explore. I think this is an important read for anybody who wants to get a taste of why "Gutsy Women" have had to be gutsy and step to the forefront on many issues.

The breadth of subjects is both the strength and the weakness of this book. I enjoyed being exposed to the stories of the women who were strangers to me and I appreciated gaining new insight to the experiences of some
Carly Vair
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was inspiring. I'd never heard of most of these women — the ones who weren't totally unfamiliar had only gotten passing mention in high school history classes. These essays are short, easy reading, but they're a great jumping-off point for more research on these amazing women. The tribute to Maya Angelou was particularly beautiful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • Desk 88: Eight Progressive Senators Who Changed America
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • The Water Dancer
  • Inside Out
  • No Stopping Us Now: A History of Older Women in America
Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton (born October 26, 1947) was the 67th United States Secretary of State, serving in the cabinet of President Barack Obama. In 2016, she became the first woman in U.S. history to win a major party's presidential nomination, and the first woman to win the popular vote in a presidential race - despite losing the election.

She was a Senator from the state of New York from
“Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.” —MARIE CURIE” 0 likes
“We wanted to cheer and scream at the same time when Olympic athletes Alysia Montaño, Kara Goucher, and Allyson Felix broke their nondisclosure agreements to tell the New York Times about being paid less by their sponsor, Nike, after they gave birth. We only wanted to scream when white male legislators in Alabama and other states voted to effectively ban abortion. Thousands of women came forward in response to publicly share their own experiences of ending a pregnancy—but why should it fall to women to share their most personal stories in order to defend a right we’ve had in America for more than forty-five years? What’s more, why are legislators focused on limiting reproductive choices rather than solving the real challenges pregnant women confront?” 0 likes