Start by marking “Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019 (Vol 139, Nos. 7 & 8)” as Want to Read:
Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019 (Vol 139, Nos. 7 & 8)

Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019 (Vol 139, Nos. 7 & 8)

Fiction
78 • Labor-Saving Relations • 4 pages by Buzz Dixon
85 • The Babbage Tour • 5 pages by Leo Vladimirsky
90 •
208 pages
Published June 2019 by Dell Magazines (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019

Start your review of Analog Science Fiction and Fact July/August 2019 (Vol 139, Nos. 7 & 8)
G33z3r
I liked a lot of this one.

"Vault" by Robert R. Chase
Very engaging story of a scientific research ship sent to investigate a star with an anomalous trajectory through the galaxy. Held my interest throughout. ****

"The Slipway by Greg Egan
Egan gives an old school hard-SF tour de force down under as a visible anomaly appears in the sky. No it's not an alien invasion; way cooler. He had me drawing pictures. ****

"Portle" by Robert Scherrer
I really enjoyed this story of a child afraid to use the
D Dyer
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This issue featured some genuinely fantastic short stories. “Uncommon” explores the idea that today’s hindrances may prove insurmountable or at least unbearable in the future. “All tomorrow’s parties” deals with authenticity and time travel and features a distinctly disengaged narrative voice. “The quality of mercy” has an impressive slow build of a relationship between A scientist setting up to study a primitive species and the security guard she’s hired as an aid.
But one of my favorite stories
John Loyd
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: analogsf
10 • Vault • 24 pages by Robert R. Chase
Good+. Dr. Chaz is the required alien contact specialist on the mission to investigate a star with a peculiar/unnatural orbit. Also aboard the Percival Lowell are three officers, three engineers and three astronomers. Chaz is unexpectedly needed when they find a pyramid on the planet that doesn't fit their theory of how Kdev got into it's orbit.

42 • The Quality of Mercy • 17 pages by Catherine Wells
Good/VG. Jezzaida is going to be studying the life on a
Timo
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty varied bunch of stories: some pretty good, but many which were less so.

Vault • novelette by Robert R. Chase
A spaceship is sent to study a planet that is orbiting a star with a very unusual trajectory. The premise isn’t bad, although not unusual, but the writing wasn’t very good. I have never seen such an amount of “As you know, Bob” style of exposition where the crew members discuss things that should be totally obvious to all involved. The main protagonist also has long expository
Paul
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating the stories in this issue:

A (excellent)

C (average)

The Quality of Mercy by
Tony
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
All of these stories were thoroughly entertaining. But the standouts for me: Tom Jolly's "Shooting Stars", a detective story w/ a twist and a protagonist I would like to see more of. And "All Tomorrow's Parties" by Phoebe North. This story really got me to ponder the long term impacts of time travel in a way I haven't thought about before. This issue also includes two wonderful poems, and a timely science fact article about NASA. One thing I can say about Analog is that this magazine offers A ...more

• The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, July/August 2019 (F&SF, #744)
  • Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine July/August 2019 (Vol 154, Nos. 1 & 2)
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, September/October 2019 (F&SF, #745)
  • Asimov's Science Fiction July/August 2019
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Lucifer Vol. 1: The Infernal Comedy (the Sandman Universe)
  • Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine September/October 2019 Vol. 154 Nos. 3 & 4 Whole Nos. 936 & 937
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • Murder Mysteries
  • The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, May/June 2019 (F&SF, #743)
  • Neil Gaiman's Lady Justice: Volume 1
  • Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine May/June 2019
  • Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine November/December 2019 Vol. 154 Nos, 5 & 6 Whole Nos. 938 & 939
  • A Tangle of Gold (The Colours of Madeleine, #3)
  • Books of Magic Vol. 1: Moveable Type (the Sandman Universe)
  • ゆるキャン△ 7 [Yuru Camp 7] (Laid-Back Camp, #7)
  • New Game! Vol. 6