Start by marking “Fortitude” as Want to Read:
Fortitude

Fortitude

New Londinium, the capital of the United Republic of Britannia, is the birthplace of the “clean steam” era and a haven for free-thinkers, progressives, and intellectuals. Its government relies solely on the advice of the Council of Danaeus, a collective of the world's pre-eminent scientists and inventors, to formulate the policies that make this city the most celebrated in ...more
Published May 31st 2019 by Mary Celeste Press

To ask other readers questions about Fortitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortitude

Start your review of Fortitude
Elizabeth
This inventive tale, an eclectic blend of science fiction, fantasy and steampunk, takes place in 1901, in the city of New Londinium. Dirigibles float through the air, and citizens travel through the streets of the city by hover machine, steam carriage or steam cab. The Council of Danaeus, a collective of highly-regarded scientists, seek to improve society through their inventions, especially those which make use of renewable and clean power. One of their most lauded designs is the Ripley Perpetu ...more
Marissa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Fortitude can be described as a steampunk/science fiction/horror mix with a little bit of romance thrown in. Sounds like a lot to throw in one book, but I think it worked. Being a scientist myself, I could tell that the author who wrote this had experience in that field and definitely put some thought into those aspects of the book. New Londinium is an innovative and imaginative steampunk world where dirigibles fly, residents travel via steam powered modes of transportation, and cutting edge sci ...more
Pete Malicki
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
You might not expect a recipe of fantasy, sci-fi, romance, steampunk and horror to come out all that good, but Bayly has proved herself an expert literary chef with Fortitude. The genres blend together easily and the pages turn quickly. This is an enjoyable read for those who like fantasy, horror and steampunk.
Buttercupp77
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
I really enjoyed this novel.

The world-building is excellent, with a steampunk-adjacent technology and a couple of intriguing societies. The pacing is well-done, with plenty of description woven through the action and not slowing things down. I also liked the author's take on a couple of mythological elements - it fit with with what I know of the lore and within the world the author established.

For me, the real strength in this novel was the character development. I loved the female characters.
Dakota
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced steampunk tale with some unexpected plot twists that keep you guessing about what the final outcome will be.
Kelli
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imaginative, well written, enchanting and quick paced. Couldn't put it down once I picked it up. Bayly surprised me with her twists and cleverly wrought plot. Looking forward to a sequel, if the author decides to write one.
Angela
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fortitude was a lovely read. I enjoyed this captivating combination of adventure, heart, and hijinks thoroughly! As with all my favorite books, I didn’t want it to end, and I hope Karen Bayly gets the recognition she deserves, so she can write a sequel.
Goodreads Librari...: My book needs new cover image 2 18 Jan 30, 2020 12:04AM

• The Women in Pants: Sidesaddles No More
  • The Order of the Rose (The Rose Chronicles #1)
  • Dodging Energy Vampires: An Empath’s Guide to Evading Relationships That Drain You and Restoring Your Health and Power
  • Percival's Planet
  • My Name Is Rose
  • Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1)
  • Sweet Water
  • The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda #1)
  • Thief of Hearts
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • Hidden in the Silence (FBI Agent Domini Walker #2)
  • I Know This Much Is True
  • The Day Before Yesterday's Thief (Eric Beckman #0.5)
  • Jatismar (Karass Chronicles Book 3)
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Clockwork Memories (The Memory Thief #3)
  • Wham! George & Me
  • The Thorn Birds
Karen Bayly is a writer, software tester, and author of the steampunk novel Fortitude. Her PhD in biology and research background both inform her writing, a fusion of science fiction and horror with traditional fantasy. A devoted lover of nature, Karen is often found in her backyard, counting birds or staring at the sky. She lives in Sydney, Australia with two cats, a guitar, and a mortgage.

News & Interviews