Start by marking “Summernight (Bridge of Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summernight (Bridge of Legends, #1)

Summernight

(Bridge of Legends #1)

If he succeeds, she will die.

Tamerlan has just five days during the Summernight Festival to save his sister - or she'll be sacrificed to an ancient, long-dead dragon at the height of the Summernight Festival.

Marielle is a Scenter for the City Watch, smelling emotions and spiritual residues and tracking down crimes. When she is assigned to investigate a strange break-in
Kindle Edition
Published July 12th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Summernight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summernight

Start your review of Summernight (Bridge of Legends, #1)
Kaitlin
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spfbo-2019
* This is one of the #SPFBO entries which I read as a Judge this year *

This one is pitched as a YA story with magic and mayhem, and that's exactly the sort of YA I enjoy reading. Personally I tend to read mostly adult fantasy, but I like YA reads to bring a bit of fun and adventure to my reading, and this story did just that.

We follow a young man, an Alchemist's Apprentice, who is called Tamerlan. He was sold from a rich family to pay off the debts of his father, and he is now stuck in a new
Calvin Park
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
One of the best ways to inject tension into a story is to write two likeable characters who find themselves on opposite sides of a conflict, or—maybe even better—find themselves inadvertently working against one another. Who do you root for when one protagonist succeeding means the other must fail? Sarah K.L. Wilson does this to great effect in Summernight the first novel in her Bridge of Legends series.

This central tension, the two protagonists inadvertently working at cross purposes, is
Joanna Bennett
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
This was definitely a book I wanted to read because of the cover. I had three months for free for Kindle Unlimited and I found this gem. Honestly, this book surprised me! I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. I only had one minor complaint and that doesn’t happen often.

The book is on the shorter side. At under 300 pages its amazing how much was packed into it. At first, I wasn’t really impressed with the characters but as the plot progresses we really get to see who they truly are.
The Mysterious Reader
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Squee! Ok, I know that’s not very mature, but I do think it’s the right reaction to having a truly favorite author come out with a new series. The author here is Sarah K. L. Wilson, the imaginative mind behind several masterpiece series (which I urge you to discover if you have not yet dine so). The new series is Bridge of Legends, the lead off book 1 of which is Summernight. That book is precisely the “Tale of Fantasy and Magic” promised by its cover page. Dragons, legends returning, magic, ...more
Amanda Kuzma
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summernight review

I was very excited to read this first book in a new series. I really enjoyed watching the development of the MC's Tamerlan and Marielle. The story was different from what I've before by the author. I liked the concept of how magic works for the cities. Although some of the descriptions of the scenting ability were a bit overwhelming for me at times, but with that being said it was nothing I've ever experienced in another story. I can't wait to see what happens next for our hero
Joy
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
TITLE: All he wants to do is save his sister from human sacrifice—will he succeed?

Julian White
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging fantasy, managing to introduce a new specialist skill in the Scenters, colourblind trackers with sensitive noses, able to 'scent' emotion (which they smell in colour... ) and useful to the Watch. Marielle is a Scenter who becomes embroiled with Tamerlan, an apprentice Alchemist who fears that his younger sister is to be the annual Sacrifice to appease the dragon over whose body the city is built...

First of three - and well worth following up. An easy read, switching between Marielle and
Ann O'Nymos
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freda, arc
This is a wonderful new setting from Sarah K. L. Wilson. The idea of having Scenters who can smell emotions is fascinating albeit the excessive descriptions of smells was sometimes overwhelming. The story is fast paced, with only 5 days for the hero to accomplish his task, no wonder. Lots of thought has gone into the development of the Legends and the religion and society of this world. The blind belief and fanatism in this book sometimes reminded me of “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson and I ...more
Jeff Cochrane
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A change of pace

I read both the Dragon School and Dragon Chameleon series nonstop and really enjoyed both series tremendously. I started Dragon Tide and liked that. I was excited to see the start of a new series with this. This was good but darker then anything else I have read by Sarah Wilson. The hero trying to rescue his sister seemed like a good plot and I was rooting for him all the way. However, the last 20% of the book was tough. No spoilers here but not sure if I would have written it
Kathy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tamerlan is an alchemist’s apprentice and is reasonably happy with his lot. That is until he finds that his little sister is to be sacrificed in an ancient tradition to the dragon beneath the city. He accidentally discovers a spell to bring back the Legendary heroes and he intends to get help from them to save his sister. Things don't go the way he expects and he is discovered by Marielle, a Scenter working for the City Guard. Things then take a most unexpected and dangerous turn.
James Williamson
A Different Twist on a magical fantasy, great characters and a captivating story line along with surprising ending!

So why did I rate it only a 3? I really loved the twists and turns in the book, but I felt a little disappointed in the ending. Very climactic exciting ending but there is no definite closure to the main question driving the heroes focus and the book, what happened to his sister?
Suzanne G
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always Sarah has written a real page-turner.

Tamerlan has to save his sister from certain death in 5 days, only he has none of the skills necessary to do so.
Marielle has to make sure nothing goes wrong with the sacrifice of Tamerlan's sister on Summernight or Marielle will be taking her place.

Of course, the legend about having to sacrifice a lady's blood to the dragon on which the city is built is just a legend, right?
Crystal
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tamerlan is an apprentice and has just 5 days to come up with a plan to save his sister. Marielle is a Scenter and member of the City Watch. It's part of her job to make sure that nothing goes wrong with the Summernight Festival, no matter what!
So many twists and turns in the book, and I just couldn't put it down. Tamerlan, Marielle and Jhinn are all wonderful characters, and I can't wait to see what comes next for these guys.
Amber  Christiansen
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was fast-paced and full of surprises. It had me on edge throughout. The crosspurposes of the two main characters left me uncertain who I wanted to root for because I wanted everything to work out for both of them and I couldn't see how that could happen. I loved reading this and I'm anxious to see what will happen next in the series!
Ann O'Nymos
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca
3 star I think

The writing carried me along well, but when it got to the end, I felt like more doors were opened than closed, which made it not satisfying for me. It didn't feel like much of a pausing point or character arc. More like the beginning of something bigger.
Ola Adamska
Jul 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2019
This book was Good. I liked it, but while reading The action skipped from one thing to the other and I couldn't Connect with The MC which made it hard to follow the events and all.
I hope that book 2 will reach to me as the premise is just BRILLIANT but the execution just didn't work out for me.
Shera (Book Whispers)

Review to come. May I say it's positive and I'm super happy about this Amazon freebie!

Miranda
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wowowow, loved this story! I've read other works by Sarah and I enjoyed them, but this was so beyond those! Loving the universe thus far, definitely look forward to more!
Stephen
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like it, boring, left a lot to be desired. Disappointment.
Jiffy52
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a story. So much content in one book, that could have fit in 3 smaller books. I can't wait for the next book and to see what happens next.

Jeff
Dennis Smith
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to the author's newest series. Action packed riveting story. Looking forward to the next one!
Patricia
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sarah-k-l-wilson
Epic fantasy from Sarah K.L. Wilson. New magic, new characters, and dragons. Loved it.
Patti
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall rating: 4.7

An amazing start to an action packed series, the book lacks nothing! I am extremely excited that these characters held me so captive and the pages flew by effortlessly! The scenting is so unique and really had my curiosity engaged! This book one truly did its job with all the plot twists and challenges! Loved this and can’t wait for more! All my reviews are always voluntarily written.
Silver Surfer
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, I started this book not expecting anything really but what I found was a little cracker. As it is book one of a new series I have high hopes for the rest of them. Epic fantasy at it’s best. Highly recommended.
LooseBoots
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Another pulse racing adventure.
What would you risk everything for? In our story Tamerlan risks everything to save the life of his sister. But that’s only half the tale . On his quest he meets Marielle who can scent emotions and feelings in colors and smells. It is an intoxicating book full of excitement and intrigue and adventure, but also betrayal.
Archaic rituals seem obsolete but are they? This is a rip roaring start to what promises to be a breathtaking magical adventure. And of course
Betty
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book of magic

Good characters, lots of action and magic. To save his sister Tam trys a magic formula with unexpected results exciting
Teresa
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Tamerlan is a dreamer, not a requirement for many jobs. He is sold as an apprentice to an alchemists, a smelly, dirty, and dangerous position. Follow his tale from an apprentice to a murderer, then a country destroyer as he struggles to save his sister from sacrifice. Great plot and characters, full of action and twist, great read!
Marilynn Marvin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy and romance.

This about a world where dragons exist and people who want t to appease them. In the process chaos comes to assert it's destruction while romance seems quite possible. I recommend this author to any reader looking for an excellent read.
Joy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if......all those myths and fairy tales we heard growing up had a kernel of truth? And there really were dragons, dragon-slayers and strong warriors able to fight to protect people? That is what Tamerlan and Marielle found out when the dragon awoke! An exciting new book from a master of epic fantasy, completely different from her other dragon series (Dragon School and Dragon Chameleon)—no human riding this dragon, that is for sure! The storyline is well developed and the characters come to ...more

• Fate of Dragons (Dragons Rising, #1)
  • Chosen (The Brindle Dragon, #1)
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • Taken (The Brindle Dragon Book 3)
  • Band Of Breakers
  • Unleashed (The Brindle Dragon Book 6)
  • Ambushed (The Brindle Dragon Book 4)
  • Magic (The Brindle Dragon Book 5)
  • Escape (Rise of the Black Dragon Book 1)
  • Power of Three (The Brindle Dragon Book 9)
  • Betrayed (Magi Rising, #1)
  • Awakened (The Brindle Dragon Book 2)
  • Starship Waking (Archangel Project #4)
  • Salt & Steel (Akio's Tale, #1)
  • Sorcery & Warlocks: Six Dark Fantasy Novels
  • Dragon Mage Academy: Princess of Dragons
  • Ezaara (Riders of Fire, #1)
  • Dragon Song (Deadweed Dragons #3)
USA Today bestselling author, Sarah K. L. Wilson loves spinning a yarn and if it paints a magical new world, twists something old into something reborn, or makes your heart pound with excitement ... all the better! Sarah hails from the rocky Canadian Shield in Northern Ontario -
learning patience and tenacity from the long months of icy cold - where she lives with her husband and two small boys.

Bridge of Legends (3 books)
  • Dawnspell (Bridge of Legends, #2)
  • Autumngale (Bridge of Legends #3)
“You’re just saying that because you’re a nice boy and nice boys don’t like doing wild things. I’m a wild boy. I don’t like doing nice things.” 0 likes
“I went there to save a sister, but when my sister was safe, I didn’t see anyone there to save you.” 0 likes