Start by marking “The Body Double” as Want to Read:

The Body Double

A dark, glittering debut novel, The Body Double is the suspenseful story of a young woman who is recruited by a stranger to give up her old life and identity to impersonate a reclusive Hollywood star.

A strange man discovers our nameless narrator selling popcorn at a decrepit small-town movie theater and offers her an odd and lucrative position: she will forget her job, her
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Doubleday Books

Availability: 10 copies available, 7035 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 26 - Feb 25, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Body Double, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Double

Start your review of The Body Double
    Dita
    Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    It wasn't my favorite; the pacing was odd and while the premise was fantastic, I found most of the characters, particularly our unnamed protagonist difficult to invest in in any meaningful way.

Shades of Hitchcock but not quite enough and I predicted the "surprise" which is always a let-down.

Thank you very much to Emily Beyda, Doubleday Books and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this ARC.
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    Three, no, this is not the book I dreamed to dive into, the plot was intriguing, the beginning was interesting, but then all slowness no play made me dull and axe carrying Jack Torrence kind of disturbed person because I’m so bored to death stars!!!!

When I start reading this book I asked myself these questions:

Do you like Almodovar’s movie “Skin I live” based on Thieery Jonquet’s “Tarantula” novel? YES!

What about Hitchcock’s “Suspicion”, “Vertigo” and “Rebecca”? Are you kidding me, hell YES!

Do
    Carol (Bookaria)
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020, fiction
    A girl is hired to serve as a celebrity's double in the public eye. And a girl has no name.

She is taken to LA, trained to become Rosanna (the celebrity) and eventually starts making public appearances as her. The book is narrated from the point of view of the nameless double and it is slow paced.

The novel does not have a lot of dialogue and, at times, there were 4-5 pages describing the thoughts of the nameless narrator, a lot of instropetion, and not much interaction with other characters or
    Dennis
    The Body Double is a unique, dark, and claustrophobic story of a woman who is hired to be a "body double" for famous actress Rosanna Feld. Rosanna has had recent anxiety issues that have kept her hidden from the public eye, so her manager has been tasked to find someone to keep up appearances for her. This woman, who remains nameless throughout the story (which I found very gripping) is the perfect fit and is hired. Rosanna's manager is tasked to teach this woman how to behave and look like ...more
    Misty Wilson read.fine.print
    Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I don’t think I’ve ever reviewed a book before it comes out! I feel like I have secret info to impart to you. The Body Double comes out in March and I can totally recommend it to you.

It’s about a common girl who is approached to be a body double for a celebrity. Hitchcock’s movie Vertigo and the book I read and reviewed a while back The Paper Wasp we’re both a little similar to this one.

My reactions, in order, as I read:
    “Whoa, this book is weird and that’s a heck of a lot of internal
    OutlawPoet
    Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
    I’m giving The Body Double a rather grudging 3 stars because: a) I appreciate what the author tried to do here and b) I did finish it.

The Body Double may give readers trouble. Out of the first 30% of the book, approximately 25% is spent stuck in an apartment with one or two characters. During this time, our main character thinks, rehearses, watches videos, reads, and occasionally eats. That’s a huge chunk of the book spend doing something that could have been reduced to a chapter. Within that
    Moira
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
    This story gives me major Vertigo/Misery/Single White Female/Fatal Attraction vibes. It’s a story where very little hands, but it was still riveting. Max has a very Svengali vibe to him, and the relationship between Narrator and Max unfolds in a way that screams Stockholm syndrome. I did find the ending to be very confusing. I re-read the final chapter several times and still don’t really understand.

ARC provided by #NetGalley in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.
    Alisa
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I really really really wanted to love this book. The premises of the book is incredible. Someone trying to have another human live a celebrity life? SIGN ME UP!

I think the first curveball for me was the fact that a ton of information was revealed to us in the first chapter. I was very confused as to what are we going to talk about later on in the book. The decisions this character had to make were a bit too big for just a couple of sentences.

While reading a book I felt like I was driving a
    Melanie Coombes
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    The story sounded intriguing. A young girl with a real likeness to a celebrity is hired to become her body double. Rosanna Feld has disappeared from society and is rumored to have had a breakdown. She is hired by Max who keeps her hidden in an apartment to learn everything about Rosanna.
    I found the story a bit slow paced. It was hard to like any of the characters or feel real sympathy for them. The body double is in a very strange situation with no one from her past life to rely on and no one
    Alisa Welsch
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
    I won a copy of this on Good reads and was excited to read it as the plot sounded interesting . The main character (who we never really learn much about) was so bland. She was left alone, locked in a dirty apartment with little to no food for weeks at times, but never seemed to have any desire but to please the ones who put her there. The ending had a twist, but I had figured something like that would happen. Three stars for the good parts, but other parts dragged and we re frustrating to read .
    Amy Gentry
    A surreal, Lynchian take on psychological suspense squarely in the "persona swap" genre so beloved of smart women who spend all our time thinking about the conundrums of female identity with all its cracks and fissures, fakes and doublings, its rushes of power and its crashes of abjection (the link goes to Miriam Bale's original article defining the genre). The prose is so polished it would be hard to believe it's a debut if it didn't also have that level of commitment peculiar to debuts. It's ...more
    Tess
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book was nuts and I loved it! THE BODY DOUBLE is a thrilling tale of a young, unnamed woman, who is recruited by a mysterious man to become an LA heiress and handbag designer's body double. However, the more we learn, the more sinister it feels. She'll have to leave her entire past behind and eventually inherit 100 million dollars -- but to do so, she must become a completely new person and live a solitary life.

The reader certainly goes on a journey with the main character. We learn things
    Jake
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Well, I called the ending about 30 pages into it.

The idea is neat, and the first chapter grabs you. However, too much of the book is repetitive and the characters aren't very interesting. For a twisty thriller, or an examination of celebrity culture, look elsewhere. For a slightly Lynchian novel about the dark side of Hollywood and an examination of Stockholm Syndrome, it's decent enough.

I read an ARC, which may differ from the final version.
    Kristyn
    Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: owned-books
    I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book centers around three main characters. Max, Rosanna, and Rosanna's nameless body double. There were many points in the book when I thought everyone was absolutely crazy and I loved that. It was a brave choice to write this book in the first person, but I think it worked well for this particular story. It is a slow burn, but also a quick read and I was in suspense wanting to know how it played out the entire time. I sort of guessed the big reveal,
    Lydia
    Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I read this book in an afternoon! The pacing is incredible, and the whole piece is eerie! Would recommend!
    Annie
    Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: thrills
    Oh man, this was good. I devoured this from the very first. Frankenstein meets Brat Farrar... meets Rebecca... meets Psycho. Basically, a beautiful concoction of creep mixed with suspense (and throw in a little old Hollywood glam!) that seemed to have been tailor made for me.
    Nicole Harris
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: read-in-2019, fiction
    I received an advanced copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

So, I don't know what I just read. It was twisted enough to keep reading because I wanted to know what happened. But I'm not sure what happened or how it got to the point which it did.

A young woman is selected as a body double for a celebrity, Rosanna Feld, (think a Kardashian of sorts) to make appearances since Rosanna is suffering from crippling depression/anxiety/addiction. But the assistant, Max, who has selected
    Brooke
    Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    They say that everyone in the world has a doppelganger - someone else walking around with your face. Some people may view this premise as intriguing, others as chilling. Both sides of the coin are presented in The Body Double, a novel by debut author Emily Beyda, which brings this theory to life in a captivating, noir-esque sort of way.

Many people may be flattered to be told they have the face of a beautiful celebrity, but for the unnamed protagonist of The Body Double, this compliment goes so
    Jasmine Atkins
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I definitely enjoyed the complexity of this story line. It had me going and I was thinking that at some point all the stuff was going to hit the fan. Everything came to a boiling point. The characters were a tad bit creepy. Our narrator has no name and it makes sense since she is taking on the identity of someone else. Not only that, she tells us a few details about the life she left behind like her foster mom and her biological father and in all honesty, no one will miss her. She has to give ...more
    Chelsea | Thriller Book Babe 🔎
    The Body Double is about an ordinary girl that is asked to come to be a body double for a celebrity. It is written in the first person and surrounds three main characters- a nameless body double, Rosanna the celebrity, and Max. The “body double” is just an average girl who works at a movie theater when she is discovered by Max, a headhunter looking for a body double for a famous celebrity, Rosanna. The doppelganger premise caught my attention right away, but the story didn’t go the way I ...more
    Lauren
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it

“There is something half remembered there, some other name, the contours of a profile glimpsed in a dark mirror, a bad dream disappearing back into the muddy depths of sleep...”

Emily Beyda’s 'The Body Double' features a nameless protagonist, who finds her sense of self—and her sanity—slipping away, as she dives deeply into impersonating a famous Hollywood actress. Her only contact with the outside world is the mysterious Max, whom she both loves and fears. And there is also the specter
    Alice
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
    The idea of a doppelgänger posing as a famous person is a familiar trope in movies, where the same actress plays both parts. When I read the premise for this book, I thought it would be a fun read with some lightweight suspense, like a Lifetime movie.

Unfortunately, this novel was written as a piece of literary fiction by an author with an MFA. Her writing is lyrical and strong. However, this plot is not suited to literary fiction. Nor are the shallow characters.

The novel is told entirely from
    Denise Velarde
    Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
    Well... there are things about this book that I liked and other things I disliked. The premise was good but the characters did not feel at all real; maybe that was on purpose because the story is at some level taking on the shallowness of fame and of Hollywood. However, there was nothing about the narrator that I felt I could relate to and her story was not that compelling because I had a feeling where the story was going, which was confirmed when I got to the end.
    Although the author tried to
    Abigail
    Nov 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
    I am so appreciative to Netgalley for the free copy I received in exchange for an honest review!

I would like to preface by saying that I definitely misunderstood the premise of this book- I thought it was a typical NA contemporary story and I'm not sure if I didn't read the full synopsis when I requested it or what, but this type of story isn't really my choice of read.

All in all, I ended up skimming through a good bit of the book as I am not into thrillers, or mystery books, or those with
    Kim McGee
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
    A young woman gets plucked out of obscurity to "become" a double for a reclusive movie star in Hollywood. After being locked in her new apartment, drugged and seeing only Max, the star's right-hand man she slowly accepts her fate and becomes Rosanna - heart, body, and soul. Soon, there is nothing left of the woman she was and only the movie star she is now. Sinister and creepy in the brainwashing she goes through, the story pulls you in like a good Hitchcock movie. I would have rated it much ...more
    Elysse
    Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Matt Shaqfan
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
    Lynn Wilson
    Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: give-aways
    I found this book to be so disturbing, yet compelling at the same time. The premise of the novel is difficult to grasp at first. How could someone suggest that another human undergo such an extreme alteration of one’s life? And how can that other human being acquiesce, all in the name of fortune and a new beginning? The reader is quickly drawn into this saga. At times it is difficult to put the book down. At other times, the pace seems to drag with repetition. As the story begins its descent ...more
    Joann
    Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So, I read some of the reviews for this one ahead of time as I couldn't remember what it was about before reading. I went into it thinking I might not like it, and finished it in one sitting!!
    Fatal Attraction meets Single White Female and then some - I did kinda figure out where it was headed before ending, but the end was still a surprise! I really enjoyed this and recommend it for those who like thrillers, mysteries and fast paced twists!
    Ann
    Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Max hires our narrator to be a double for Rosanna, a Hollywood star. Never given a name, the character becomes immersed in her role. Not sure if I liked the story but it had a great storyline. People think this is a Hitchcock sort of story and if not understanding the ending is part of the Hitchcock thing then I agree. Not sure if I'd recommend or not, there are so many really good suspense books around. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

• Darling Rose Gold
    • The Glass Hotel
    • Been There, Married That
    • The Majesties
    • Saint X
    • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle, #3)
    • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
    • The Dilemma