Start by marking “The Butcher's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Butcher's Daughter

The Butcher's Daughter

Looking for a dark and compelling psychological thriller with a twist you won't see coming?

Trust no one. Not even yourself.

When Natalie Powers returns home for the first time in thirteen years, she must convince everyone she has fully recovered from the mental illness, which has seen her institutionalised for most of her young life.

But instead of being welcomed back, N

Published May 13th 2019 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about The Butcher's Daughter, please sign up.
Jane James
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jane James
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Butcher's Daughter
Lou
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bestselling author Jane E. James returns with another dark, suspenseful psychological tale based around mental health, the surrounding stigmatisation, family secrets, deception, duplicity, memory and the ominous, mysterious disappearance of main protagonist, Natalie's, mother. Almost two decades after the disappearance still no-one will talk about it, but Natalie is stubborn and astute and will not stop until she discovers the answers to her questions. Slowly but surely she realises that there i ...more
Mark Tilbury
Well that messed with my head!
There are parts of this book that will haunt my mind for a long time. The imagery created by the descriptions of both people and events painted vivid pictures in my mind as I read. Some weren't pleasant due to the butchering nature of them.

Main character, Natalie, is really interesting, if not a little unnerving. As she was unsure of what was going on around her, and who she should trust, so was I. Her time in an institution may or may not have helped her. I remain
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Shelves: loved-it
The Butchers Daughter is without a doubt going to be one of my top reads for this year. I absolutely loved it.

My heart broke for Natalie while reading this. Like seriously how can someone go through so much heartbreak. She hasn’t had it easy.

Home now after being away for thirteen years things aren’t easy for her.

The little village has its own secrets.

Is there strange going ons happening in the village or is it all in Natalie’s mind?

My dad, Granda, uncle and cousin worked in an abattoir. Luckil
Kelly Van Damme
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Butcher’s Daughter starts when Natalie, a.k.a. the butcher’s daughter, returns home to Little Downey after having been away for thirteen years in a nearby psychiatric hospital. Right away, I got a sense of dread and a feeling of what the hell is wrong with these people?! Because everyone seems to be acting really strange. Or are they? Maybe it’s just Natalie’s imagination? Natalie’s father, his help Daniel, the townsfolk, the gypsies that live nearby, Natalie’s psychiatrist, they all seem to ...more
Lel Budge
Shelves: bloodhound
MY REVIEW

The start of this is brutal, Natalie’s Dad wanted her to toughen up, so as a seven year old he told her they were going to a zoo, but instead he took her to the abattoir, where men were slaughtering animals….the blood and sheer terror of the animals was palpable….horrific…

Natalie, is now returning home, after spending thirteen years in an institution….people treat her with caution and her father, Frank is as mean as he was when she left…..refuses to talk about her mother……she died…..did
Debbi Smith
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Part mystery, part supernatural, this book is fantastic. Read it when you have plenty of time because you won't want to put it down. ...more
Amanda
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there’s one thing that this Ginger Book Geek likes, it’s discovering new authors. Jane E. James is certainly a new author for me. I read the synopsis for ‘The Butcher’s Daughter’ and it sounded like just the sort of creepy read I like. I must be a sadist because at the moment the creepier the book is, the more I like it. Anyway back to the point. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Butcher’s Daughter’ but more about that in a bit.
I wasn’t quite sure what to make of Natalie at first . Don’t get
Phil Price
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won't give too much away plot-wise, suffice to say this book is grim and unnerving. Set in an isolated village in the wilds of Wales, the story focuses on Natalie, a young girl, traumatised after the apparent death of her mother. Back in Little Downey years later, Natalie has to question what is real and what are lies. The ending was superb and a fitting climax to a thoroughly thrilling read.

All the characters are well written, leaving the reader unsure about their motives or indeed their rea
Marmiteandbooks
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Powers has been institutionalised for most of her young life, but now she is free, and returning to Little Downey to live with her father. But Natalie is still struggling to come to terms with the suspicious death of her mother. And why are the residents of Little Downey so hostile to her return to the village?

This is such a wonderfully creepy and disturbing book! The small seaside village really jumps from the page and there's a great cast of characters, too. I really felt for Natalie,
Richard Burke
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Natalie, a young woman who returns home after a long spell in a mental institution. She is the daughter of a butcher. As a child, she is traumatised when she witnesses the inside of a slaughterhouse. The details are pretty graphic, so if you are of a delicate disposition, read something else!
When she returns to her father's house in a remote coastal village, the residents are more than a little strange. As the story develops, the reader is left wondering how much is real and
Alexina
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane has a great way of writing within he realms of mystery and this is one compelling dark read.

It is best to read it in as few sittings as possible because the creepy element of tension really works well and you are absorbed in to the lives of Natalie and her world.

The setting gives the background story a fabulous character and helps the narrative and description be strong.

A wonderfully written novel that will keep you guessing as to what is going on.

Shrouded in mystery and a depth of darkne
 Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019

This is my first book by this author and will not be my last I liked the writing style and the story had me from the start I couldn't turn the pages quick enough to find out what was going happen really enjoyed this story.
Craig Gillan
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Had me hooked from the beginning, really creepy little village and inhabitants were people you wouldn’t want to live next to
Jennifer Rose Bradley
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was very gritty and dark and kept the reader on there toes. I had myself constantly asking myself whether this was real or in Nats head. Another top book that you can devour in a evening.
Jan
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hate to give a negative review but dont read this if you feel depressed. It was gruesome and descriptive in the gore, I hated that. Then there was the details of animals being slaughtered, another big no no. It was so slow in the narrative I started to scan read. I just didn't connect on any level at all. I had seen rave reviews so I thought I would buy I wish I hadn't. Not my kind of book alas blood and guts does not serve any useful purpose for me after seeing my son suffer with a blood diso ...more
Alyson Read
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story commences with the return of Natalie Powers to the village of Little Downey where she grew up until the age of ten. The daughter of village butcher Frank, she has spent the last thirteen years being treated by the father figure of Dr Moses for a mental illness in a local institution after the apparent suicide of her mother. Her father refuses to talk about her mother, and Natalie has always doubted the official version of events. There have been a number of unexplained cliff top suicid ...more
Jayne Anderson
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I hate saying this but this book wasn't for me. I've read some reviews that raved about the book and it sounded right up my street, a good psychological thriller with lots of blood and gore but sadly I just didn't connect with the characters.

The ending was very good and neatly tied everything up together and there is no getting away from the fact that there were some really shocking and gruesome moments in the book that made my cringe but for me there was just something missing,

Natalie clearly h
Alfred J. Coscia
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Very Gripping and Harrowing Thriller

No Spoilers in My Reviews:

This novel will definitely sit with me for quite some time. It is one that has a nearly tangible feel to it, and sets a rather spooky tone throughout. This lends to the reading quite well. I would definitely warn that this novel is not for the faint of heart. It is a very eerie, surreal experience. I enjoyed it immensely.

The plotting is excellently-written. The story moves in a way that kept me turning pages and wanting to know what
Nicole
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first chapter (without giving spoilers) does go into quite graphic detail about the process of what happens when animals are sent to slaughter. There is no kinder way to say that, unfortunately. If this is something that will upset you then perhaps you should skip the first chapter, at least.

As someone who has worked in a Food Manufacturing company within HR for several years, I am fully aware of the process, but have (thankfully) not witnessed it myself. I can confirm, however, that the dep
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very dark book

I enjoyed this book as I like horror and dark books. It certainly kept me entertained in fact it was pretty gruesome at times. It was well written and the story was dare I say unusual. I myself am not much of a meat water i prefer fish and the odd piece of chicken. I wasn't surprised by the ending the poor girl was mad from the beginning as her father and mother and the whole Village. This one will have me thinking about it for a while. Thanks Jane E. James
John Morris
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and Scary!!

This was, without doubt, the the most frightening horror story I have ever read. What is truth and what is fiction? Just what goes on in the mind of a severely disturbed psychiatric patient? Where do the memories come from and what do they mean? I defy anyone reading this book not to seriously consider becoming a vegetarian or even a vegan. I think I'll be having nightmares for a very long time. This book was an uncomfortable but, absorbing, experience.
Debbie McDonald
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was hard to get into and a struggle to read. I almost put it down and said forget it. But I made myself read it to the end, and I'm glad I did. All I can say is wow! I had no idea. And I can't say anything more without giving away something. So if you are thinking of or trying to get thru this book, I say go for it. You won't be dissapointed. I wsn't! ...more
mr stuart keate
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, gory twisted and some parts were horrifying. But this book kept me enthralled throughout not wanting to put the book down. Poor Natalie in and out of the institution. Even got me confused at one point, was she delirious or imagining it. One thing for sure I wouldn't like to live there.

Well done for an addictive read looking forward to more from this author.
Jeanette
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jane-e-james
This is a dark read, quite brutal in parts and definitely not for the squeamish. The story is full of twists and keeps you guessing. The “secret” is quite shocking and you’ll want to keep reading to work it all out. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys their horror with a touch of gore.
angela
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!

Absolutely amazing book! One of the most surprising endings I have ever read. Once I thought the mystery had been dispelled and that I had all the answers, I discovered another twist that upended everything that I thought I knew.
barbara
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a read not really knowing whats true and what in'nt who to trust even herself comes to the conclusion at the end but very well written and hard to put down mental health is a def feature how one can be effected .Will def be reading more By Jane !! ...more
Lynn Litten
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, JUST, WOW

A Book as mesmerizing and gripping you from start to finish. I couldn't put this book down. A psychological thriller is exactly what that phrase implies! Read this book, but expect to have your stomach in knots...It's that descriptive. 💜
Pheadra
Jun 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Gory. Bloody. Ghastly. I would not describe this read as a psychological thriller. More a tale of horror, cannibalism, animal slaughtering, and suffering. Frankly, I found the story nonsensical and with timelines that jumped so frequently, it was difficult to keep up.
Sheaukang Hew
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Too confusing for me

I cannot keep straight what is real and what is imagination. I find that I grew impatient with not able to understand what really happened even after I finished. Maybe this is the intended result, to keep readers in suspense till the very end.
Eozyucel
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was such a great book! I didn’t want to end up with last chapter of the book. What an amazing story telling! Every chapter was being read as breathless. Description of the characters’ feeling were perfect. While I was reading i thought that they were all alive. Highly recommended...
Goodreads Librari...: Duplication 2 11 Jun 11, 2019 07:47AM

• The Husband Thief
  • The Girl Across the Street
  • Deserve To Die
  • The Regret
  • She Is Gone (Jack Anderson #3)
  • When He Vanished
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • A Perfect Tenant
Best selling author, Jane E James creates chilling reads that appeal to fans of psychological thrillers, mysteries and dark fiction. Jane loves to weave tense and haunting tales that stay in the reader's mind. All her books are standalone novels.

Jane recently signed a two-book publishing deal after her 2nd novel, The Crying Boy (a compelling suspense thriller inspired by actual events) became an o

News & Interviews