Start by marking “A Murder on Jane Street” as Want to Read:

A Murder on Jane Street

A brutal murder.
A heinous secret.
A deadly conspiracy.

The brutal murder of the little old lady next door puts FitzHugh Donovan on the case. A retired New York City Police Chief, he knows a cover-up when he sees one and his Irish Cop conscience can't let that happen.

Published July 16th 2019 by The Wild Harp & Co., Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Murder on Jane Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murder on Jane Street

Theresa Alan
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The cover of this book doesn’t do the story inside justice. The cover makes it look like this is a cozy mystery, which it’s not.

Retired police chief Fitz Donovan knows his elderly neighbor on a superficial level because she loves books, and when he retired, he opened a bookstore focusing on mysteries, old and new. But when she tells him she’s in danger and she’d like him to come over later so she can show him what she’s talking about, he heeds the call, only to discover that she’s been murdered
Gail C.
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A MURDER ON JANE STREET by Cathy Cash Spellman features patriarch Fitz Donahue, retired New York City Police Commisioner and his Bleeker Street Irregulars. These include daughters Maeve and Rory, granddaughter, Finn, Maeve’s long time friend, Dec, and a host of others including Maeve’s business partner, Finn’s childhood friend, scientists, physicists and otherwise brilliant, computer savvy hackers who are intent on saving the world, or at least their corner of it.
The book itself is a combinati
Kat Dietrich

A Murder on Jane Street by Cathy Cash Spellman is a psychological thriller....but looks like it may also be the first of a mystery series.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher The Wild Harp & Company Inc., and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

Meet the Donovan's.  Fitz is the head of the family, a retired Chief of Police, now
Joyce
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Wow! What an exciting story.

Fitz Donovan, a retired police chief, his family and close – if a little odd – friends are out to discover who killed the elderly lady who lived next door. The ninety-something woman is the keeper of a potentially devastating secret, should it get out.

This book is a historical “what-if” thriller. It has action, excitement and illustrates the value of true friendship. I liked Fitz, his family and the weird team he has put together to help him solve this myster
☕️Kimberly
Spellman’s story is a blending of genres, part cozy, part conspiracy theory, part murder-mystery with lots of suspense, political plots and more. Told in multiple POVs, she introduces us to retired New York City Police Chief FitzHugh Donovan. Fitz owns a bookstore and lives in a brownstone with his daughter and granddaughter.

When Mrs. W, Fitz’s 90-something neighbor tells him she needs him to come collect something that she thinks they’ve found her. He arrives to find her dead, and the home toss
Patty
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Murder On Jane Street
By
Cathy Cash Spellman

What it's all about...

So...an elderly neighbor dies...is murdered actually. But she leaves her next door neighbor some volumes, journals, papers about something she has been guarding and keeping secret her entire life. It has to do with wars, Hitler and secret plots. That’s really all that I should tell you because this book is such a huge mystery. It’s also a mystery that you won’t get until you actually become absorbed in this book...as I did.

My tho
Scott Parsons
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best novels I have read in years. The run-of-the-mill title does not convey the depths and breadth of this exceptionally well written book. Fitzhugh Donavan, retired police chief, is shocked by the brutal murder of his elderly neighbor Mrs. Wallenberg. She has hinted to him that she fears for her life and has a great secret to share with him. Mrs. W has left a journal and some documents which shed light on a secret dating back to the Nazis and World War II. Fitz is helped by h ...more
Aina
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This book has the feel and setting of a cozy mystery but manages to bring some grittiness to the action. The description of the murder of an old lady and the flashbacks to her past during WWII is brutal, and makes you feel for her. After the police brushed off her murder as a robbery-gone-wrong, her neighbour, Fitz, a retired police Chief and his group of interesting family members and friends decide to do their own investigation.

While I was sucked into the mystery in the beginning, the short ch
Jan farnworth
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like e a good crime mystery that strays from the normal who done it or why the person was killed. This story fits all those check marks. We have an elderly neighbor who calls on her neighbor to help with a situation but before he can come to the rescue her home is ransacked and she is brutally killed in the robbery. What could an old woman have been hiding that could warrant such a brutal attack? Fits Donavan is determined to find out. Mrs. W. leaves behind an old journal and some doucments wh ...more
Soozee
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
An old woman is murdered, and the retired cop next door and his Irish family (the Bleeker Street Irregulars) find themselves embroiled first in finding her murderer, but then in plots and schemes going back to the dark days of Nazi Germany. Interwoven within the story is the fey Irish 'second sight'.

We are driven along to find out if Hitler's spawn are still hale and hearty and aiming to run the world. Ghisella's diary makes for an interesting background story, providing the clues to enable the
Lheanne Spicer
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book!! Kept me intrigued until the very end!! Highly recommend!!
Gerry Joy
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the characters in this story! Cathy fleshes them out to the point where you feel like you know them and want to spend time with them. There was never a dull moment in the whole book. Can't wait to find out more about these characters and the next murder to be solved!
Marissa
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kindle Copy for Review from NetGalley and The Wild Harp & Company, Inc.

I received a free, advance copy of this book and this is my unbiased and voluntary review.

In this thriller begins when an old lady is murder in the streets. Throw in a suspicious detective who will uncover hidden secrets and a deadly conspiracy. Nothing is quite black and white as the detective will soon find out.

A gripping read that will keep you glued to the pages.
Anne (The Reading Life)
I received a free copy for an honest.

This book is...in kind of a special state. It was not a well-written thriller novel, but because I stopped reading it like a thriller novel, I got myself to enjoy it.

Yeah, I don't think that's good.

But to be clear this book was all bad - there were many things I loved and must give credit for such as the concept of this book. I thought it was brilliant how the book used such a controversial and historically significant topic as its core, and I also appreciate
Theresa Larson
First, I just have to say, WOW! What a fantastic book! It was a wild ride from start to finish!

FitzHugh Donovan, a retired Irish NYPD cop, is urgently summoned by his next door neighbor, Mrs. Wallenberg, to her home. She tells him that she fears she is about to be murdered, and she has a secret that she needs to share with him. She is so worked up, though, that she can’t seem to get her story out. She asks him to come back later that night to pick up some books that will explain her story and pr
Shohinee
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is portion of the review on my blog https://trailsoftales620253622.wordpr...
In the case of ‘A Murder on Jane Street‘, I have to start from the end. As all the conspiracies unfolded, I was pretty sure that the book would conclude in an open ended fashion. But author Cathy Cash Spellman surprised me. And pleasantly at that.

The author introduced an end that had a satisfactory ring to it, keeping it realistic at the same time. A reminder that the evils in humanity cannot be uprooted all at once
Vera Haldy-Regier
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this her sixth work of fiction, Cathy Cash Spellman hits all the marks of an exceptional writer of fiction:
Her characters are vivid and memorable; she tells a riveting story replete with well-chosen details; and she accomplishes all that with a fine-tuned ear for dialogue and a skilled choice of words.
A woman “sweeps into the room like a galleon in full sail” and a stalwart Texas lady takes her coffee “strong enough to raise a blister on a boot.”

All the while, A Murder on Jane Street is infin
Sharon C
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Here's who should read it: mystery readers, people who love historical fiction, puzzle people, those interested in today's political climate, conspiracy theorists. Basically everyone should read A Murder on Jane Street. It is a great story well-told.

The story revolves around a three generational Irish family in NY. The patriarch of the family is Fitz Donovan. Fitz is a retired NY police chief who is called upon by his elderly next door neighbor because she has recei
Linda
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fitzhugh Donovan, former police chief, received an odd request from the "Old Lady" next door. It seems she had received a threatening letter and she wanted him to know why she was about to be murdered. After giving him a tattered old journal, she asked him to come back later that evening. But unfortunately, before he was able to return, she was found tortured and then murdered. This event sets Fitz on a long trail to determine who exactly Mrs. Wallenberg really was and what information she had t ...more
Joan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review of advance reader eBook

The brutal torture-murder of his next-door neighbor pulls retired New York City Police Chief FitzHugh Donovan into an investigation that hides a decades-old secret at its core. With the lives of his family and those he loves put in jeopardy, he and his band of stalwarts realize that they must find a way to thwart a deeply-rooted conspiracy born of hatred and greed.

The well-drawn characters are a perfect fit to the conspiratorial plot with its historical ties. Carefu
Kaye
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Murder on Jane Street is a delightful book that will not be easy to slot into a genre. Part traditional family-based mystery, part contemporary cyber-sleuth story, part historical speculation and conspiracy theory, part thriller, part love story -- this novel may displease some readers who resent the intrusion of some element (romance, sentiment or treacherous cabal) that spoils the purity of their favorite literary category.

But some of us will love it as it is. The Donovans are a close-knit,
Tonstant Weader
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A Murder on Jane Street must be the first in a series of mysteries by Cathy Cash Spellman. If she doesn’t take this delightful group of people to new books and new mysteries, it will be a waste. FitzHugh Donovan is a retired NYPD Chief of Police. He lives with his daughters Rory and Maeva and his granddaughter Finn. All are strong personalities who are devoted to each other.

When the ninety-some-year-old neighbor woman asked FitzHugh for help, he immediately commits to assist her, but then she is
Hana Correa
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really exciting historical fiction novel. Historical fiction novels that contain enough threads of reality that they make you question what you know of history are always the most interesting because they make you question what you think you know of history. This story certainly masters this criterion.

The Donovan family led by patriarch Fitzhugh Donovan. Fitz is a retired police chief who lives in New York, in a brownstone with his two daughters and his granddaughter. His neighbor, an
Beth
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Former NYPD chief, Fitz Donovan's elderly neighbor, Ghisella, calls and asks for his help. Less than two hours later, she is found tortured and brutally murdered in her home. Although he didn't really know her, she passed on some clues and information about her former life. NYPD isn't really invested in finding her killer so Fitz enlists his family and friends in an effort to discover what happened to her and why. They call themselves the Bleeker Street Irregulars. While investigating her death, ...more
Cinthi
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Retired NYPD Chief of Police Fitz Donovan is seeking justice for his elderly neighbor who was brutally murdered. His daughters, granddaughter and a band of brilliant friends join him in solving a mystery that old woman left Fitz before her murder. It turns out Mrs. W wasn’t just an old widow from Europe, she was down right kick ass and was hiding an explosive secret held over from World War II that could mean the resurgence of the Fourth Reich.

As they research and prove the secrets left behind
Heather
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, let me start by reminding you to not judge a book by it’s cover. Let’s not get this twisted here, as this is in no way a “Cozy” thriller nor does it purport to be. Title and cover can lead one to feel this may be something sweet with a touch of thrill mixed in, but ah ah! There in lies the “do not judge” element.

This book was captivating. I did not want to put it down. I loved the Irishness of it, the retired detective aspect, being caught up in a local murder. I found the elements quite
Jill Elizabeth
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely fantastic find! The characters, the setting, the inter-connected conspiracies and plot lines... It was perfection from the opening pages. My only criticism, which is a slight one, is that it seemed as though things wrapped up rather expediently in the end. The buildup and pacing were spot-on throughout, then all of a sudden things came to a head, a meeting was held, and it was over. Given the incredible depths of the conspiracy up to that point, that was a little hard to s ...more
Managed By Books

Now, Fitz, his family and his quirky band of Bleecker Street Irregulars are ensnared in the bizarre secret the woman died to protect.

Is this a cold case turned hot again, or an unspeakable conspiracy that could alter the course of history?

Fitz doesn't yet know how high the stakes are, th
Patricia Doyle
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This historical fiction was most interesting and entertaining. A 96-year-old woman was harboring a critical secret from WWII and was brutally murdered because of it. Fitz and his family and friends set out to figure out the mysteries.

The characters — maybe a few too many — are highly intelligent, eccentric, and, many of them, very wealthy. Collectively, they’re just the right mix of talent to accomplish their mission.

The intriguing plot to uncover the truth (what we know about history is only
Suzanne
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A genre-busting, exciting book that manages somehow to be almost all things to all readers, A MURDER ON JANE STREET delivers far more than its mild title would suggest. Sometimes cozy, other times almost Ludlum-esque in its paranoid depictions of WWII survivors infiltrating global life, with characters charming and engaging enough to keep everything moving forward. The addition of a romance seems unnecessary but doesn’t actually interfere. My only quibble is with the ending; author Cathy Cash Sp ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Cathy Cash Spellman is a best-selling author of multiple books that have been on The New York Times Bestseller List and International Bestseller lists, in both hardcover and paperback. Bless the Child became a Paramount movie starring Kim Basinger and Jimmy Smits, and has developed a cult following since it's Paramount release in 2000. Cathy's books have been sold in 22 countries.

Cathy was born to