Start by marking “Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)” as Want to Read:
Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)

Heart and Hand

(Gold Sky #1)

Can a Mail Order bride find love with two husbands?

It doesn’t take long for Julie Baptiste to realize she yearns for more than the non-stop engagements and niceties dictated by New York high society. So, she decides to do something bold and answers an advertisement for a mail-order bride in Gold Sky, Montana.

Ex-Union soldiers Forrest Wickes and William Barnes have been
Published May 5th 2019 by Violet Gaze Press

To ask other readers questions about Heart and Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart and Hand

Start your review of Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)
Talia Hibbert
[Before I begin - this story involves a lot of talk and emotions about babies and pregnancy and eagerness to get the heroine pregnant, and the importance of it, and so on. If that is at all difficult for you to read, you should tread carefully or avoid completely.]

This book has one of the best covers of all time (don’t argue with me) so I was already excited to read it. Then I figured out it was a mail-order bride story, so my excitement doubled. THEN I realised it was MFM and my excitement
Claire
That was fluffy and made me laugh and I am HERE FOR IT. I loved the total social acceptance of their marriage, that Julie was rich and gorgeous and basically did what she wanted. It reminded me of Katrina Jackson, not just because of the M/M/F relationship but also because of its joyful, give-no-fucks suspension of disbelief.

I'm here for queer joy in books these days, for outsized HEAs, for muscled imagination, for all that WORK of hope; and most of the time I'm seeing WOC authors, especially
Becky
This book was a first for me a few ways. It's a mail order bride theme, not sure if I've ever read that. I've never really searched them out because westerns weren't really my favorite. However this did make me want to try more. I was enjoying the scenery and the premise behind it of a marriage of convenience.

This book is also a MFM romance. The mail order bride has two husbands. I have never read one of these. I don't think they are really my thing, but I was curious and wanted to try one. I
Isabella - Madly in Love with Books
MFM. Barely 2 stars.

Woman! Just! Fucking! Talk! Ugh!!!!

Could have really enjoyed this, but the unnecessary miscommunication drama mixed with the fact, that she always seemed to pine over one man and not her other husband lessened my joy in reading the story a lot. Plus I found the heroine to be a rather weak character and I don‘t enjoy these much.
Victoria Vale
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A thoroughly enjoyable tale with a plucky heroine and likeable heroes. I tend to avoid mail order bride stories but a black heroine and the menage angle hooked me. And that cover ... wow. Rebel Carter writes in a way that is easy to read, and I was definitely pulled into the story early on.

My only complaint was that I wanted MORE. I felt like by the end we knew Julie very well, but had only a surface level view of who her husbands are, particularly Will. His close relationship with
This is an example of how what could be considered a bonkers premise can be totally believable in the hands of a good writer. Rebel Carter writes this so well.

I would have liked to have understood more why the self-assured Julie was so jealous of Rosemary when she was otherwise confident in everything. Given that this was the main source of conflict, we needed to see more about that. I think also there needed to be more of a balance between her time with Forrest and with Will. But I genuinely
This book was truly a wonderful surprise! This is a new to me author, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but the blurb caught my attention and I just couldn't resist! An interesting story line, fun characters, and explosive plot twists kept this story moving from the beginning to the very last page!

Julie is a New York City debutante, with an adventurous spirit. She isn't one to conform, just for propriety's sake. She decides that she doesn't want that life and sets about finding one that will make
Beyond The Covers Blog
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romaine
I am very impressed that an author who based her story in 1886 would actually do the unthinkable! Blew me away!

Hand and Heart is a unique story after the Civil War.

Julie, a heiress, who is close to the Spanish throne, threw away all her luxuries in New York City to venture to the comfort of the frontier to become a mail order bride and fulfill her greatest desire, becoming a school teacher. A bride who would indeed marry two men. Two husbands. Will and Forrester.

I loved this story! The
A.J. Andersen
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhhh! Rebel!!! It was PERFECT! I loved Julie, Forrest and Will! This story was amazing and I'm so happy I had the opportunity to read it early!
I can't wait to see what comes next for Julie and Julian in the west!!! :)
Darkdamsel
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Different Kind of Romance

3.5 Stars for this historical IRR ménage (mfm). It was a fun read but I felt like I needed more.
Sarah Meerkat
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Heart and Hand by Rebel Carter which should have been the queerest polyam mail order bride story and instead I get a jumbled supremely heteronormative story.

First up. It is labeled mmf. And I want to say the guys dont have to bang for it to be mmf. They can kiss, hold hands, like echo other as queer platonic besties. However the only times they touch are in context to the heroine and not in relation to a sex scene.

We are not given their pov at all to better understand their relationship. Are
Cat C
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique historical

I'm not sure I've ever read this combination of subgenre before - historical Western menage. And the heroine is a WOC! I was intrigued from the opening lines of the blurb, let alone the book itself.

I do wish the conflict relied less on a Villainess and Misunderstandings, and that we saw more of why Will and Forrest needed to be together - since we only have Julie's POV, and Will is the strong silent type, I didn't get as much character development of the men as I wanted. But
Jen
This is an MFM romance with no MM to it. I feel a bit cheated. But it was cute and HEA, so I'll go with it.
Katherine Long
Stars: 4.5 Stars
Format: Digital
Steam Level: Steamy
Series: Ongoing (I think? I hope so at least)

I originally heard about this because it sponsored an episode of Heaving Bosoms. It sounded interesting so I picked it up and I am glad I did.

Quick Thoughts:
- I don’t know about other readers, but this definitely scratched that “Misadventures of a Curvy Girl” itch. Lots of love between everyone and warm fuzzies
- Julie is biracial! Huzzah for a non-white main character that gets an HEA! And she’s
Leigh Kramer
When I first heard about this book, it immediately went on my TBR. Who could resist the sound of an MFM historical Western featuring a biracial mail order bride? Certainly not me. Heart & Hand is Carter's debut and it shows a lot of promise, although it left me wanting more and there are some unanswered threads. It has a theatrical quality to it, which makes sense for the kind of story it is. Even though this is a menage relationship, it's relatively low heat. Not quite closed door but a ...more
Brandan WH
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and sexy mail-order bride romance

What does a young lady of means do when she is not impressed with her current prospects? Especially when said young lady is of mixed race, living in NY and feeling stifled by tradition, expectations and boredom? If you’re Julie, you answer an ad to become a mail order bride for a pair of friends in Colorado!
Forrest and Will have been friends forever and fought in the war side by side. They want a family but Forrest knows that the only way it could work is
Esme Brett
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
How beautiful is this cover!?!?!? I love it. This is a historical MMF story, with an openly 3 way public marriage: fun! Interesting! Different!

The dialogue is very visual, which I enjoy (ie there’s action while people are talking); although I felt like a lot of the explanations and emphasis could have been cut down. Also some things just straight up didn’t make sense to me. Like, on day one of meeting, one of the male protagonists says to the female protagonist: “you looked beautiful today”. I
Love Africa Book Club
I was intrigued by the premise of this story--an heiress of mixed ancestry travels from New York City out into wild Montana to become a mail-order bride after corresponding an falling in love with her husband-to-be. Except it isn't just one man she'd going to marry but two.

Julie is a bold character for travelling across country to meet two men. But Forrest for his part was a man worth falling in love with. I was less enamored by Will and even less convinced that Julie would be truly happy with
Emmi
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s very sexy and smart. I recommend if you want something passionate and also snarky in moments I recommend! It’s a great ménage romance and something that kept me up at night reading /)

I received a copy of this book and am voluntarily reviewing.
Katie Tower
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!!!

This book is a fantastic combination of ménage, female friendship, empowered ladies, sass and sexy times! A delight from beginning to end!
April Tate
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mail Order Bride.

I enjoyed the character development and the story line. It has a unique suprise and ups and downs. Highly recommended
darling
Mar 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

chapter 13...*yeehaws angrily*
Jericca Hamilton
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual brand of catnip but still great! Absolutely beautiful descriptions and endearing characters, most definitely a world I can't wait to revisit!
Drowsydreamer1988
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a strange but charming story

I have never read anything like this before, I'm not sure I believe in loving 2 men or women or multiple men and women equally, I always think one will always have a bigger piece of your heart but it was a nice story, charming even
MacKenzie
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great premise and a fun read!

I LOVED the concept of this book. I loved that when I read descriptions of the heroes, I pictured Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan. I loved Julie, the heroine and how much her new husbands loved her right from the get-go. I got emotionally involved with Julie's struggle to figure out if one of her husbands actually loves her or if he just settled to keep his partner happy. This book is like a lite version of a combination of Beverly Jenkins' Tempest and Sierra Simone's
Brittany
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely surprise!

First off, this cover is beautiful. I was attracted to it from the start. The setting was lovely. I'm a sucker for small town romances. Both Will and Forrest were men you could fall in love with and Julie was sweet without being a doormat. The writing was lovely . Rebel Carter is a bright new talent in the romance genre! I can't wait to read more by her.
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This story had so much promise but there were to many moments that jerked me out of the story. At 50% I didn't understand the actions of any of the 3 main characters.

I'm wondering if this book had a professional editir.
Betsy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really in to westerns, but I had hope for a triad story. Sadly, this wasn't the kind I like where all sides are romantically linked. Also, there was a lot of telling instead of showing. Probably not the author for me.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bound Through Time: Past (Viking Brothers #1)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • White Whiskey Bargain
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • In Too Deep
  • Through the Woods (Love Thy Neighbor #1)
  • A Delicate Deception (Regency Imposters, #3)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Keane - Her Ruthless Ex: 50 Loving States, Massachusetts
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • STONE: Her Ruthless Enforcer: 50 Loving States, North Carolina
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Walking the Dawg (Love Thy Neighbor #2)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Mr. Vega
Rebel Carter loves love. So much in fact that she decided to write the love stories she desperately wanted to read. A book by Rebel means diverse characters, sexy banter, a real big helping of steamy scenes, and, of course, a whole lotta heart.

Rebel lives in Colorado, makes a mean espresso, and is hell-bent on filling your bookcase with as many romance stories as humanly possible!

Gold Sky (3 books)
  • Hearth and Home (Gold Sky #2)
  • Honor and Desire
“If only she could steal back those countless hours of being conditioned. What a waste of reading time it had proven to be.” 0 likes