Start by marking “Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)

Wicked As You Wish

(A Hundred Names for Magic #1)

Tala Warnock has little use for magic – as a descendant of Maria Makiling, the legendary Filipina heroine, she negates spells, often by accident. But her family’s old ties to the country of Avalon (frozen, bespelled, and unreachable for almost 12 years) soon finds them guarding its last prince from those who would use his kingdom’s magic for insidious ends.

And with the
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Wicked As You Wish, please sign up.
Rin Chupeco A tentative date is 2020. Some very new and happy announcements this month, hopefully!
Rin Chupeco Eep. I actually didn't know that this planned book had already found its way to Goodreads until you asked this question! As of today (10/13/2014) -

…more

1.) no publisher has seen this manuscript;
2.) not even my agent has read this;
3.) because I am working on revisions, there is no final version

I am very grateful that people seem to like this book, and are adding it to their to-read pile, and I thank whoever it was that added it to GR. But there are no plans for this book just yet, given the points mentioned above!

I'll be announcing any new updates on my blog or on my Twitter account. It's an odd, whimsical manuscript that needs a lot of mind wrestling to get right (hence the constant revisions), and very different from my horror books. It's one I am hoping to share with you guys soon!(less)

Start your review of Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
Lola
This is a ‘‘did not finish’’ from me.

The world building is so confusing. I can keep on reading and reading but I don’t understand more. Actually, I understand less. Because if from the beginning you’re not eased into the magic system and the different aspects that constitute the fantasy world, chances are you’re going to be so confused that you’re going to compensate by focusing on the characters more than the world around them.

But if, as is the case here, the characters—main and secondary—are
Rin Chupeco
May 23, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
EDIT: for everything you might like to know about WICKED AS YOU WISH, a thread: https://twitter.com/RinChupeco/status...

Join the street team: https://t.co/BdYEVFWpwL

---------------------------

This was the first book I'd ever written, shelved way back in 2010 because it wasn't "marketable", according to the feedback that I'd believed then.

Except every book I'd published since wasn't really marketable either. THE GIRL FROM THE WELL wasn't marketable because "horror didn't sell". THE BONE WITCH
Divine
THANKS TO THIS I NOW HAVE A 2020 MUST HAVE SHELF THIS EARLY. AHHHHHHHH FINALLY THE FILIPINO FANTASY REP I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR.
Lance
"'Just because you've never been to the Philippines doesn't mean that their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean their rivers don't course through your blood. It doesn't mean you don't have their mountains in your eyes. It's not where we are, it's who we are. You'll always be both a Makiling and a Warnock, and always a Filipina. Never forget that.'"

4.5 Stars. Wicked as You Wish is an entirely different beast than Rin Chupeco’s previous work, but still contains the
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
RIN CHUPECO REALLY ISNT COMING TO PLAY WITH ALL THESE UPCOMING RELEASES
turniip
Not the book for me and that’s okay!
Shealea
I don't know where to begin, but I swear, a positively glowing review will eventually be available on this little space.

For the time being, all I have to say is: With its beautiful cast of courageous (and occasionally whimsical) Filipino characters and clever fairytale references, Wicked As You Wish is a precious book that means so, so much to me. Please, please pick this one up!

Isa Lavinia
Jun 14, 2014 marked it as wishlist
I NEED THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Ooo some promising releases coming it seems
Ava
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WICKED AS YOU WISH reminds me of a patchwork quilt; it’s made up of so many pieces, but it smells like your childhood and brings a certain sense of comfort as you’re reading. This book is about a young girl named Tala, whose family “curse” is to negate the effects of magic, and she and her family are in charge of putting an exiled prince back on his throne. The world Tala lives in is familiar and rich with Filippino influences, and it’s clear that our “history” remains the same -- but all of ...more
Breanna Boyer
Feb 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Yeeeaaaaaa I need this book like now!!
Dany
I received the e- copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Review will be posted closer to the publishing date.
Raquel Flockhart
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Manon
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story had so much potential, but sadly for me it wasn't it. I do want to give it another go once it's been released though.
amanda ✧
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
GOT THIS BEAUTIFUL ARC IN BOOKCON AND I’M HELLA EXCITED TO READ THIS SO MUCH rin chupeco i am ready for that filo rep and mythology!! ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
May 12, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Cecilia Rodriguez
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cupeco's plot is a confusing Dystopian urban fantasy.
The story relies very heavily upon literature in: "Public Domain."
I wish Chupeco had spent more time with Tala's Filipino heritage, as I thought it was more original and interesting.
Meghan
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I received this book as an ARC from Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I could not put this book down. I am a huge lover of modernized fairy tales and Rin Chupeco does a brilliant job marrying the worlds and with Wicked as You Wish she does that beautifully with the Snow Queen. I also love books that focus on the drama and conflict such as the mystery of the Avalon family and the secrets of Prince Alexei and his
Isabella
IM SO EXCITED OMG. FINALLY A FILIPINA IN A FANTASY BOOK.

Update 5.30.19
That cover is beautiful!
Kelly Erickson
This is absolutely one of my new all time favorites. I cannot wait for the sequel
Shannon (enchantedfiction)
*More like a 3.5 stars*

Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco is the beginning of the series "A Hundred Names for Magic". It incorporates a lot of fantasy lands that are popular in fairy tales and other stories with the real world. Tala, a 17 year old girl with the ability to repel magic, and her family are keeping the exiled prince of Avalon safe from the Snow Queen. But it doesn't take long for things to get dangerous, and get turned upside down.

Since the release for this book is 2020, I will do a
Catherine
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author of The Bone Witch series introduces a brand new fantasy world where characters from fairy tales and mythology fill the world with magic. Tala is a young girl living in Invierro, Arizona, a place where magic doesn’t work. She is descended from a family of spell breakers and must hide her ability. Prince Alexei lost his parents and his kingdom when Avalon was frozen by the Snow Queen during the Wonderland Wars. When Alexei seeks sanctuary and anonymity in Invierro, he and Tala join ...more
Laura Mauro
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* I got this book for review for my honest thoughts*
This book was such a welcome surprise. I loved both the set up of this book and also how this book was structured. I really was impressed and captured by the world building throughout the whole novel. I thought the main characters were super easy to become invested in and also really loved the "rag tag bunch of heroes". I also really enjoyed the various fairy tale characters that used to that filled this world . I really loved the pace of this
Soup
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Wicked As You Wish is Rin Chupeco's first attempt at a novel which she ultimately put aside after multiple rejections. I suspect minimal revisions went into the release of the work once she was able to sell it on the strength of her Bone Witch series as there are more than a few errors in logic, world building, and flaws that most professional editors would pick up. That being said, the story is addictive and the world (which combines global folklore and what I can only describe as the magical ...more
Vinny —☽.。* Artsy Draft
Thank you Sourcebooks Fire for providing me with a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Kat
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
#WickedAsYouWish
Thank you to Edelweiss and Sourcebooks for the E-Arc copy of Wicked As You Wish.
An excellent fast-paced fantasy that will have you cheering for the prince and his cohorts. It is filled with fantasy, but gives the reader a reality check with them being stuck in Arizona of all places.
Christine
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read with a diverse cast that I truly appreciated it. Loved all the references to fairy tales and I’m intrigued for book two. There were some slower parts towards the middle that could have been edited out but overall enjoyed this one.
gelowmichael
Sep 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thank you, Sourcebooks Fire, for the digital copy in exchange of an honest review.
biconique
Oct 13, 2019 marked it as released-2020
rin said the backgrounds of the letters in the book title are... literal spoilers... wow her energy... and im like >:( bc i cant read it rn
Brianna Peterson
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was incredible! It's filled with funny characters, has a light/fast pace that I appreciated, and I loved how old fairy tales were reworked into this story. I've been a big fan of Rin Chupeco's work since the beginning, and I look forward to the next books in this series.

• There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Winterwood
  • Mooncakes
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)
  • Reverie
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Caster
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Scars Like Wings
  • Call It What You Want
For updates, events, and new releases, sign up for her newsletter at http://www.rinchupeco.com/newsletter Unfortunately, I cannot accept friend requests at this time - Amazon detects these friends' lists on Goodreads and prevents the people on them from leaving book reviews!

------------------------

Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus.

A Hundred Names for Magic (2 books)
  • Untitled (A Hundred Names for Magic, #2)