Start by marking “Kissed by Magic (Mayhem & Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
Kissed by Magic (Mayhem & Magic #1)

Kissed by Magic

(Magic & Mayhem #1)

Enjoy an Outlander-meets-Frozen romantic comedy from a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author:

Adventurer Lance Desmond needs to produce a fortune before his arch-rival collects the bounty on his head. He risks an ancient curse to retrieve treasure hidden within icebound Castle Cavanaugh, only to become trapped inside. Not with the gold he so desperately needs, but
Kindle Edition, 2nd, 140 pages
Published July 12th 2019 by WebMotion (first published December 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Kissed by Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissed by Magic

Start your review of Kissed by Magic (Mayhem & Magic #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I've read many Erica Ridley stories before, but Kissed by Magic is my first time reading her non-historical stuff. My take on it is... mixed.

I was surprised at the fact that we actually got some steam in the story, as Erica Ridley's historical romances are usually really tame. The world-building was very abbreviated, and I really needed more, but the story was so cute that I didn't mind.

Kissed by Magic was an easy cute read to start off the Magic & Mayhem series.

*Copy provided in exchange
Vicki
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you are in the mood for a light and lovely fantasy romance this should be the one you choose.

Lance from modern times is an adventurer and when he goes to Castle purportedly housing the great treasure, he finds an unexpected situation that might be the end for him.

Lovely special moments are shared that make Lance come to heroic life for me as well as Princess Marigold.

Love reading this book. It was a joy.
Susana
I absolutely loved this!

This was so cute, and funny, and "AWWWW" inducing that i just want to re-read it all over again!!
The characters were completely likable! And the plot was GOOD!!
THANK YOU!!!

Do you remember the character Thorne from Marissa Meyer series?
And this one? ;)

Well, Lance could be their cousin....or brother!! :)
He's deliciously funny and quirky!

The princess was realistic lovable in all her fantastical concept!
And the two of them were just....you know!!
Adorable! :)
Loved the idea
Julia
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny historical romantic comedy!

Lance needs money. Fast. His idea, break into the castle on top of the mountain and steal its treasure.

Marigold has been trapped inside the castle for 600 years. In a cruel version of Groundhog Day her 19th birthday repeats over and over.

As soon as Lance enters the castle he's doomed. He can't get out, unless he can lift the curse that keeps him and Marigold trapped inside the walls of ice.
Violet Stone
ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Whew. So, I'm a little behind in some of my ARCs...by a year...or two. But! In my defense I entered this really long slump and when I went back through my Kindle I found a decent amount of ARCs that never got read.

Having said that, I'm finally here to write my review for this book! Going in I really didn't know what to expect I barely read the blurb but it sounded cute.

And boy oh boy, was it! I loved the mix magic and modern technology.
Elodie
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know what to expect from this book as I only know Mrs Erica Ridley for her regency romances.
But when I learned some of her earlier books will be back for sale, I jumped on the opportunity.
I would label this read as a time travel fantasy romance as a princess from a fairy tale meets her knight disguised a treasure hunter adventurer, when Rapunzel meets Indiana Jones.
Impossible to tell more than the blurb without spoiling the read.
This huit-clos was charming, full of smiles and cheerful
Julie
Let it snow by Erica Ridley is a 2013 Intrepid publication. I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lance has a bounty over his head. To retrieve a fortune he attempts to break into a castle of ice. But, once inside he finds himself trapped with the beautiful Marigold. But, an ancient curse could cause Lance to become on more ornament on the Christmas tree at the stroke of midnight. Can Lance and Marigold break the curse and escape the
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
I'd forgotten I don't read Erica Ridley's fantasy stories for a reason. There's world building and there's undisciplined story-telling that I associate with desperately making up a bedtime story for my children. Even they called me out on some of my more preposterous inventions - I could have lent them to Erica Ridley, if only I'd known.

I like her Regency stories better.
Isa Lavinia
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

arc provided by Intrepid Reads through Netgalley

Lance Desmond is a wanted man. Ivan Radko, his arch-enemy as placed a 10,000 silver drachma on his head after Lance got his hands on some diamonds Radko had been hired to find, and promptly spent them on a pirate ship which isn't even his yet.
Out of options, he remember Castle Cavanaugh, which harbours inside it the mythical Golden Bloom of Eternal Youth. Problem is, Castle Cavanaugh is so cursed as to be unbreachable, surrounded by impenetrable
Claire Robinson
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
3.5 Stars.

Cursed Ice castle – Check
Beautiful Princess – Check
Christmas on repeat - Check
Prince Charming – Erm.....

This is my first Erica Ridley book; and I must admit I wasn’t 100% sure whether I would like it when I initially read the synopsis, but it was such an unusual and charming read, it was impossible not to like it. I love a book that is well written and offers the reader a chance to escape from their everyday life, and Let it Snow did that for me. I was pulled in and positively
K.S. Marsden
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Lance is in over his head in debt, and his only hope is to raid a castle for treasure. The only problem is, once he goes in, he will never come out.

I received a free copy as part of the Magic & Mayhem boxset, from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a light, fantasy romance, following Lance. He's an adventurer and a chancer, and has a price on his head. After buying the ship of his dreams, he's in a lot of debt, but he plans to clear it by heading to a castle that might
Janet
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adventurer Lance Desmond needs to produce a fortune before his arch-rival collects the bounty on his head for a debt. He risks an ancient curse to retrieve treasure hidden within icebound Castle Cavanaugh, only to become trapped inside with medieval Princess Marigold who's been cooling her heels for hundreds of years.
The lonely princess refuses to acknowledge the blossoming attraction between them. Not just because she deserves a better future than a penniless rogue. But because at midnight,
Joan
This was a blast to read! Pure fun from start to end with a LOVELY 'Hero' and some really endearing touches.
Lydia
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding myself liking Christmas more and more these days. Or maybe it's because I've read lots of Christmas stories lately. Hmmm...

Still, I can now openly admit that no other Christmas story can compare to those written by the one and only Erica Ridley. Either the woman was blessed by the spirit of Christmas itself, or she's Mrs. Claus in disguise out to bring some holiday cheer to readers. Whichever it is, I must say her books are sure to be re-read in the future.

Lance Desmond is many
Dianne
A cursed castle made of ice, a beautiful princess trapped within its walls, Christmas repeating itself over and over and over for several hundred years, once you enter, you can never leave, all the trappings for a charming fairy tale, minus the prince who saves the day. Lance is no prince, he is a petty criminal with a bounty on his head, so he is after the next great score that will not only save his bacon, but is sure to make him rich! Castle Cavanaugh is shrouded in myth and mystery, many ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
When explorer Lance Desmond is able to break into the mysterious and enchanted Castle Cavanaugh he discovers that the ancient curse that entraps it might just be more than he bargained for. Instead of a wealth of treasure he finds Princess Marigold who has been stuck in the castle for over 600 years. Yikes. Together they must put their heads together and try and find a solution to the curse...and maybe even find love in the process.

This was a short, cute, story full of romance, magic, and
AnnMarie
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kissed by Magic is the first book in the Passion & Promises series by Erica Ridley. It can easily be read as a standalone.

What a fabulous novella this was. An absolute fantasy with a wonderful mix of modern times, olden times, modern technology and centuries-old magic and curses. Not forgetting, of course, the brilliant romance!

Lance Desmond has got himself in a pickle, he's on the wrong side of a very powerful man and his life is very much in danger. He needs money and he needs it quickly.
Angie
"How are you going to breach an unbreachable castle? You going to rely upon your magicless sword? Or maybe your precious smartphone? Is there a 'breach unbreachable castle' app I don't know about?" --Sancho, the sidekick

An unexpected gem! Great read, 4.5 stars!!

This book was not what I expected at all. It's set in this sort of modern-futuristic time where bounty hunters, spellbooks, and swords are still prevalent alongside smartphones, lightsabers, and night vision goggles. It was such a
wonderfullyweird88
Kissed by magic is the first book in Ms Ridley's Magic and Mayhem series. The three stories have been previously published but have now been revised and re-edited. The stories are not connected through setting or characters, but each features a paranormal romance with a dash of comedy.

Kissed by magic is set in an alternate reality, our hero is an adventurer in a present-day setting who yearns to own a pirate ship. To escape from the bounty on his head, he sets out to retrieve the treasure hidden
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Take your classic Princess in Distress, locked away in a castle by an older, pissed off female royal.
Let her stew for several hundred years (or six hundred plus.) Should I mention the castle is made of ice, so she can see out but should anyone figure out a way in, they can never leave? In fact, by the stroke of midnight, those adventurous souls are transformed from this life form to something entirely different.
Over the years technology has advanced, as has communication, but even though ways
Lori D
A delighful story set right before Christmas, that will bring a lot of laughs and smiles as you follow Lance Desmond, adverturer extraordinaire to a magical place to find his fortune! Or will he? When he saw the poster of himself displayed right in front of the Pawn & Potion and his home above, the heading was "Wanted Dead or Alive" and the smaller print gave a reward. Oh geez, he had already spent that money they were after him for, so what to do?
He had the brilliant idea to go to Castle
Suzannah
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kissed by Magic is book one in the Magic & Mayhem paranormal romantic comedy series by Erica Ridley. This is quite a change for Ridley. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of her Regency romances. This story has a touch of fantasy and magic in it. It is a fun romp with humor sprinkled through. I loved the hero Lance Desmond. He has a quirky relatable sense of humor. Princess Marigold reminded me of the princess in the Mario Kart games. Overall, a fun, quick read. I was gifted a copy of this book.
Courtney
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
"Let It Snow" by Erica Ridley was written with an excellent story-line! The complex story-line with the interesting plot-line made for the most marvelous story of a girl way before her time. This story is about a spunky, young woman who always wanted to get what she wants, and what she wants is to find a man that might just be under her nose! Only time will tell.
Laura Larson
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2020
First book of 2020! This was a fun, easy read to start off the year. With under 200 pages, there wasn't much room for character development and insta-love definitely happened. It was entertaining and refreshing and perfect for a day at home on the couch.
Coco.V
Dec 26, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (12/26/2017)! ...more
Anna J. Shelby ☕
Well, it was so ridiculous that I actually liked it.
Marti
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple, sweet story of an adventurer who gets caught up in a curse. Clean fairy tale.
Cyliena
Kissed by Magic
Lance needs some money and decides to rob a cursed castle—what could possibly go wrong? There he meets Marigold, who has been trapped in a loop that repeated her birthday day for the past 6,000 years. It’s a lonely existence, and it’s up to Lance to break the curse and set them both free. This story has a classic fairy tale vibe that will give you warm fuzzies inside. Marigold must grow beyond her fears that she’ll lose Lance just like she’s lost everyone else, but it’s Lance
Diana
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
booknerdloleotodo.blogspot.com
*received for an honest review from netgalley.com
I hate to give a book a bad review... but I just did not like this book. It sounded like such a fantastic plot! There is a knight with a bounty on his head and an enchanted castle with a Princess that needs rescuing. Sounded like a lot of fun...but it did not seem authentic to the time period. I'm by no means a historian but the language and the way the characters behaved was not a tale of a knight. It was more a tale
Anna Maria
This was an "instafreebie" so I didn't really know if I'd like it. I must admit that when I first began reading I was sure that I wouldn't enjoy it at all. I'm glad I read this book as it actually was quite entertaining. I couldn't stop reading as I wanted to find out if he would save the Princess and how he did it when the castle was made of impenetrable ice. I loved the ending so I recommend it to other readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• One Night of Temptation (Wicked Dukes Club #6)
  • Never Have I Ever With a Duke (The Spitfire Society #1)
  • The Gift of the Marquess (Love is All Around #2)
  • The Red Hot Earl (Love is All Around #1)
  • Joy to the Duke (Love is All Around #3)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • Winter Wishes: A Regency Holiday Romance Anthology
  • Forever My Duke (Unlikely Duchesses, #2)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Highland Jewel (Royal Highlander, #2)
  • The Duke Is But a Dream (Debutante Diaries, #2)
  • The Marquis She's Been Waiting For (The Marriage Game, #9)
  • Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #2)
  • The Highlander's Christmas Bride (Clan Kendrick, #2)
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
  • Earl of Scarborough (Wicked Earls' Club #21)
  • A Duke She Can't Refuse (The Impossible Balfours Book 1)
Get freebies and 99 deals at: http://ridley.vip

Erica Ridley is a New York Times andUSA Todaybest-selling author of historical romance novels.

In the new 12 Dukes of Christmas series, enjoy witty, heartwarming Regency romps nestled in a picturesque snow-covered village. After all, nothing heats up a winter night quite like finding oneself in the arms of a duke!

Her two most popular series, the Dukes

Magic & Mayhem (3 books)
  • Charmed
  • Midwinter Magic
“Enough about me. Tell me about Princess Marigold. Ever been on a pirate ship?” 1 likes