Start by marking “Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)” as Want to Read:
Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)

Taming Demons for Beginners

(The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)

Rule one: Don't look at the demon.

When I arrived at my uncle's house, I expected my relatives to be like me—outcast sorcerers who don't practice magic. I was right about the sorcery, but wrong about everything else.

Rule two: Don't listen to the demon.

My uncle chose a far deadlier power. He calls creatures of darkness into our world, bind
Published September 13th 2019 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc. (first published September 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Taming Demons for Beginners, please sign up.
B No this can be read as a stand alone. However, the other series that does tie in a bit is one of my all time favourite series.

Start your review of Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
mith
4AM screaming aside, hello! I’m about to jump into this again for a more normal read instead of tempting a zombie state in the morning lol

Ugh I love this book. I really, really love this book. It’s different from Tori’s Spellbound books in many ways, but it has Annette Marie’s signature writing style that reels you in regardless.

And listen I’ll try to be objective because, at this point, everyone already knows I’m here for the demon love interest. But I can’t promise that lmao
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 [gleaming] Stars

I generously received an ARC of this book from the author/ publisher in exchange for an honest review- all opinions are my own.

HOLY MOLY, WO-OW. This was everything I could’ve ever hoped for. Truly. Fantastic read that I recommend to anyone and everyone.
Annette Marie is an absolute FORCE.

I love the CodexVerse (A nickname is needed with Spellbound, and now Demonized, as well. I just happen to have one 😉). SO; naturally, I was a bit nervous to meet the Demonized newbie leading lady Robin, but buckle up! Because sh😉)./>I/>IRating:
Precious
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku-universe
I can’t wait! This cover 😍 -- Edit September 15th, 2019 now that I actually read it.

I loved this fresh start of a spin off! Spin offs have their own obstacles to face. Yeah sure the main series lovers will give you a shot 70% of the time because of the love they have for the first one and a bit of obligation nibbling at their fingers. But their expectations are going to be higher. You have to start strong in order to keep he momentum from where the main series left off. And did Annette deliver
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If the TV show Supernatural has taught me anything, it is that over time, you would be surprised what you can grow on you until even their evilness is cute and you adore them.
I absolutely loved this. From shy timid Robin that secretly wants to be a BA but is far braver and closer to it than she thinks, to Z, Amalia and of course my beloved Crow and Hammer members.
I loved loved that we see more of Darius in this! I loved him after the last book and he has always seemed mysterious but so da
✶Rachelle✶
Shelves: arc, 2019
5 stars

^^^ me after finishing this book

I LOVE ROBIN

From the get go too, which hardly ever happens. It took me a little while to warm up to Tori (from The Guild Codex), but I had an instant connection with Robin....probably because I've had similiar thoughts as her. Word of warning...this book will make you hungry. Robin is an avid cookie baker.

I LOVE ZYLAS

I can't say much more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Okay, this was so so SO good. I really, really, REALLY hope the author continues many books with this character, Robin. Fascinating, I love her and Zyla. Perfection! :)
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Taming Demons for Beginners was a ton of fun, action packed and impossible to put down. Just from that first chapter I was hooked and I screamed out loud best chapter ever! Oh my gosh you guys, Annette Marie knows how to pull you in and continually have you begging for more. The storyline was addictive, the characters lept from the pages and she created a world I never wanted to leave. This book is for everyone out there that loves to say just one more chapter, and then before you know it you've finished ...more
Tracy D.
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A monster before me. Monsters of a different sort behind me. I had seconds to choose my executioner.

Meet Robin Page:

A 20 year old sorceress that swore to her mother she would never use magic. 6 months prior, her parents met their untimely end. Now Robin is living with her uncle and his family. Unfortunately, her uncle has withheld her inheritance, sold her parent's home out from underneath her, and ref
Emma
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: demons, magic, ya
4.5 stars. I’m a real sucker for Anne Marie’s UF take on demons!
Nicci
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First up, let me say that even though this IS a sister series to the Guild Codex: Spellbound series and they do intersect you don't need to know a single thing about the other series to read and enjoy this one. In other words, if you are new to Annette Marie and the Guild Codex world, have no fear!

Secondly, I love the Guild Codex Spellbound series so when I found out there was going to be a sister series I was both crazy nutso excited but also trepidatious.
It may be the same world a
Lesley
4.0. This sister series to the Spellbound series is just as fun, and the heroine is even more relatable.

Plot:
Recently orphaned Robin stumbles into the world of contracting when she finds an imprisoned demon.

Characters:
When we meet Robin, she is a sad, lonely bookworm, who is staying with verbally abusive family members in hopes of finding her mother's grimoire. As the story progresses, and she forms a shaky alliance with the demon Zylas, we see her turn into a
Hilda
“Mercy is for the weak, payilas.”
“The weak can’t afford mercy.” I met his eyes.
“I think we can.

This quote describes Robin and Zylas’s relationship perfectly. She is his moral compas because azulas, a demon, doesn’t have one. What he does have is a fondness for small creatures to protect and cookies. Which works out perfectly for Robin in her time of need.

I’m not going to lie in the beginning I wanted to DNF this book. I was so frustrated with Robin and her self help books and cowardice.
 Ⓐℳⓨ (Ⓐh-ℳeⓨ) ♔♔Queen of fat cats ♔♔ DIE YOUNG ADULT GENRE DIE!♔♔
When your friends recommend the best books of the Kindle Unlimited selection

It was already on my list but Kenziey chan is a great friend and sent a rec my way. I have the coolest friends!!!

GUUUYSS, If you haven't read anything by Annette Marie sensei you're really missing out!!! Who are your so-called "friends" that don't recommend the best books out there?

If this is half as good as all the other books by Annette Marie sensei Taming
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3.5 stars, rounded up for being fun and well-written.

The heroine, Robin, annoyed me in the beginning; she cries often, is deeply non-confrontational, and makes some pretty dumb decisions. But I really had to cut her some slack. She's twenty years old, newly orphaned, and just generally a more reserved and submissive heroine than the feisty arse-kickers who usually populate urban fantasy novels like this one. That didn't make her a bad heroine. On the contrary, she grew on me a lot, and I really
Gaby★Me Myshelf and I★

I knew I was going to love this spinoff! Assuming the book was going to be half as good as those covers how could it not be?

My face the whole time be like

I’ve read the Guild Codex series and I’m obsessed with Tori’s story so when I found out there was going to be a series for the small contractor and demon brought into book 4, well I knew it was gonna be good! Annette Marie truly is one of my all time favourite authors.
For a newbie read
Sarah Leenart
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sigh. Why oh why did I stay up reading until 2am last night? It means that it's all over and I can't read it for the first time again. So so good though, every single word is like a gift. Words can't describe how much I love everything this author puts out there and this book proves her mastery yet again.

Robin was introduced at the end of Demon Magic and a Martini in the most awesome style ever and I couldn't wait to meet her. She is shy, introverted and would rather bake or have her
SheLove2Read
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4 stars!

“Protect me.”

Taming Demons for Beginners can be read as a first installment in a new standalone series (so if you haven’t read The Guild Codex: Spellbound, you’ll be fine) and it’s pretty engaging! Robin is a tiny bit way too naive for me, but her POV is really compelling and the situation she finds herself in with Zylas, a demon, hooks you in right from the beginning. The world-building is also really cool and well developed, especially as its delivered with a bit of humor along the way.

Steffi
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-reads, read-2019
LOVE LOVE LOVE ❤❤❤❤❤
Lindsey (Lindsey Reads)
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received an Advanced Reading Copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Let me start this off by saying: I’m a difficult reader. I really am. Especially when it comes to starting a new book or series. I’m super skeptical to get started, and it usually takes me a good 100 pages or more before I even get invested in the story and characters. So even though I’ve already read SIXTEEN Annette Marie books, all of which I have rated 4 or
AJ Cosgrove
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every book in this world I say "this is my favorite" but...THIS IS MY FAVORITE! I love this urban fantasy world with magic, guilds, and demons. This book correlated perfectly with the last guild codex book I read, book 4 (I think?) the demon magic book of Tori's series. However, it is absolutely not necessary to have read the other series if you start with this one. It's a fun overlap, not enough to confuse, and not enough to be boring if you do read both books! If you have read it though--some ...more
Jacob
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Epic and funny.
Lola
I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

I was quite excited and curious when the author announced this spin-off series from the Guild Codex: Spellbound series, but also a bit afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the Spellbound series. I started this book quickly after I received my copy, excited to see what it would be like. This is another great read by Annette Marie. Filled with action, demons, magic and a likable main character. I enjoyed it just a
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Delightful read. I kept picturing the main character as Sam from the webcomic Let’s Play. So. Cute. Plus, maybe a very catlike Marshall. Cute and fun.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019

Robyn’s life has been turned upside down, everything she knew 6 months ago is no more. She has lost her parents, she lives with her uncle, he won’t sort out her inheritance and he summons demons illegally. Wait what?! Right!

Robyn has spent her life avoiding magic under the guise of her parents, if she stays away from it, then it will stay away from her. However, both these worlds collide when she is forced to move in with her Uncle Jack. She discovers a library she isn’t allowed in a
Poplora
I had loads of fun. The characters are charming, I can definitely relate to the MC. After a long bout of super strong, self assured lady leads, it was a nice breath of fresh air to experience someone who is more relatable. Socially awkward, timid, and a tiny rebellious streak (view spoiler)

This book also made m
Gaia Maglasang
Am now currently checking my family tree for some estranged uncle who has demon summoning powers. No such luck.

Hoowee was this book a rollercoaster. Can't believe I finished this in one day while promptly ignoring all the other stuff I was supposed to do. Still worth it tho.

So let's start with the main character, I was sort of turned off about the idea of a timid 20 year old girl that hates social interaction. Reminds me of someone actually. its me
I'm so used to reading urban fantasy novels with badass gu
Maia
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the explanation of Demon Magic and a Martini happens and what is going on from a different POV.

I liked the banter in this book as much as in the original serie and I can't wait to read more.
I am wondering how the 2 series will mesh together, I mean, they have to right? I'm really excited to see how Robin and Zylas will fare in the guild!!!

Anyway, I love this 2 series very much! The wait in between books is shorter than most but it's always too long :) 😍
WinterRose
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it

Why is this poor author so underrated? The power of marketing, alas. I wish this woman's books were on the shelves at Barnes and Noble so more people knew about them.

Taming Demons for Beginnings - lol what a name - was a lot of fun! My biggest issue though? This was so short! TOO short. By the time I felt like we were about 20% into the story, it was like 50%. This book felt more like an introduction. Thank goodness book 2 is coming soon because yo, this wasn't e
Andrea
4.5

This book was a whole lot of fun! I really enjoyed the characters, the magic system, and the mystery of demon summoning.

RTC
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon Book 1)
  • Shadow Caster (The Nightwatch Academy #1)
  • Wishful Thinking (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying #1)
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy, #1)
  • Heart of the Thief (The Wardbreaker Book 1)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • The Hidden (Shadowed Wings #1)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (The Nightwatch #1)
  • Fireborne (Raven Cursed # 1)
  • Wish List (How To Be The Best Damn Faery Godmother In The World Or Die Trying, #2)
  • Wicked Gods (Gifted Academy, #1)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she inten

The Guild Codex: Demonized (3 books)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)