Start by marking “As the Light Fades” as Want to Read:
As the Light Fades

As the Light Fades

After her carefully constructed life crumbles, Liz Carlisle finds herself back on Nantucket, picking up the pieces. With the family estate under renovations, the solitude she craves seems out of reach.

Matthew Stone intends to steer clear of his new tenant. She’s carrying a load of
Published September 10th 2019 by KDP

To ask other readers questions about As the Light Fades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As the Light Fades

Start your review of As the Light Fades
Melissa
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this book follows some of the characters introduced in The Things We Knew, and it refers back to things that happened in that book, this novel pretty much stands on its own. It would definitely help to read that book for background, because it explains a great deal about the Carlisle family and why they act the way they do toward each other.
It follows three people: Elizabeth Carlisle, who has come home after escaping an abusive relationship, Matthew, a man who has a guest house for
Susan
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As The Light Fades

Catherine West

AS THE LIGHT FADES by Catherine West is a stand alone novel but it does feature some of the people from The Things We Knew. I haven't read that one yet and wasn't lost at all while reading this wonderful story. Liz Carlisle finds herself back in Nantucket after her perfect life in New York City has exploded. She returns to her family estate which happens to be under major renovations and she knows she must find somewhere else to live for a while. Enter Matthew
Janet Sketchley
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
There are so many positives about this novel. Catherine West writes with skill and compassion, tackling hard issues with honesty and sensitivity and enough humour that this is not a hard read. She gives us real characters to care about, flawed people who are doing their best and fear it may not be enough.

Her voice is true, whether writing from the late-twenties/early-thirties central characters of Liz and Matthew, 15-year-old Mia, or the elderly Drake.

And Drake… how many novels include a
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I've learned from the last few Catherine West books I've read to keep a few tissues nearby, so I was prepared this time around ;) But don't worry, it's the cathartic kind of tears that well up as the words touch your heart in a deep way. I loved the sense of hope and healing that kept the story from feeling too heavy as it dealt with themes of abuse, aging, and dysfunctional families in a very realistic way. The relationship between Liz and Matt blossomed naturally and I enjoyed the way they ...more
Brittany
What a powerful book! These pages were full of broken people, heartbreaking situations, and even fear for the future. But despite the heavy topics covered in this novel, I never felt weighed down with sadness. Instead, I kept eagerly turning the pages of this captivating story to see how things would work out for these characters.

I thought the romance between Liz and Matthew was just right. Matthew was so caring toward Liz and careful to ty to make her feel safe and worthy.

Matthew’s niece, Mia,
Staci
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
What an emotional yet hopeful journey!

The primary story is about Elizabeth and how she recovers from an abusive relationship. Healing occurs after she returns reluctantly to her home town to escape and sever her past life completely.

Although Elizabeth definitely isn't looking to bond with anyone, she becomes friends with Matthew. His family has drama of its own. Plenty of it.

Who stole the show for me though was secondary character Mia. I couldn't have loved her more. She was incredibly well
Fiction Aficionado
I loved returning to Nantucket to revisit some of the characters from Catherine West’s earlier novel The Things We Remember—though you don’t need to have read The Things We Remember to enjoy As the Light Fades. It’s a story of relationships and family drama—the good, the bad, and the exasperating!—but also of two women struggling to emerge from the shadow of physical and sexual abuse, once again demonstrating that West is able to broach tough topics with both sensitivity and authenticity.

As much
Susan

Cathy West has a wonderful knack of turning a story of brokenness into something beautiful.

As the Light Fades is a story of family, forgiveness and hope. West expertly weaves stories that reflect the various relationships we share in life; that of parent, child, sibling and friend. She gives us an engaging cast of characters, all the more lovable for their vulnerability and flaws. I love it when an author writes a story that resonates with her audience.

Both Liz and Mia are barely
Laurens Bookish Life
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forgiveness. Mercy. Grace. Strength.
These four words sum up this book perfectly. I loved everything about it! Although it contains some dark and depressing elements, As the Light Fades is a motivational and uplifting story about learning to forgive yourself and others in order to be able to truly find happiness.

The setting is on Nantucket, which is a no brainer read for me. In recent years, Nantucket has been a place that I am dying to visit (thanks to reading about the Island in books.) Any
MJSH
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“We’re given clarity of thought and the ability to speak truth in love for a purpose. It took a while for that to sink in, but it finally did.”

Another emotional, heart-rendering, ugly-cry kind of women’s fiction from Catherine West. This fantastic author will never fail to touch your heart and soul, no matter what her subject matter. As the Light Fades deals with a whole slew of life stages and challenges, from a broken, angst-filled, angry teenager world to a battered and frustrated
Karen Trosterud
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a first for me by this author and I loved this book!! Secrets and forgiveness are the highlights of this book!! Highly recommend!!
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Readers get your tissues ready, because this is a story that will move you and bring you to tears. West has delivered a heartrending story that pulls you right in. She has a way with words and stories that really make a reader think – think about life, tough situations, our attitudes during these situations, and how we can be a blessing to others who are going through something horrific. I promise you – this book will change you.

Liz was my favorite character by far. She was damaged, yes. But
Nursebookie
This is my first Catherine West Novel - and enjoyed as a stand alone even though some characters were from one of Catherine West's earlier novel, "The Things We Knew" published in 2016. I enjoyed West's writing and I though that the characters were interesting and complex enough to have me pulled in and captivated by their story line.

The novel begins with Drake Carlisle's narrative. He is one of my favorite characters in this book. He has Alzheimer's disease and was a talented artist and
Clara
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I remember finishing "Things We Remember" three years ago and dearly wishing for the story of these siblings to continue. How excited I was this year to see that yes, at least Liz's story would be told.

Liz Carlisle who carries so much hurt and trauma, not to mention shame. This book is not a sequel, so you don't have read TWR to understand what is going on - enough background is given to understand where the Carlisle siblings are at and what Liz, in particular, has been through.

Liz Carlisle who
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'We like to pretend we can handle things we've got no business trying to.'

Liz Carlisle returns to her Nantucket family home after her life disintegrates. She moves into the carriage house of Matthew Stone, who is now caring for his 15 year old niece, a surly teen who is hiding great pain. Add a set of parents who were mostly absent from Matthew's life, a father with dementia, an ex boyfriend bent on revenge and you have all the necessary ingredients for a powerful story.

Catherine West handles
Mackenzie Carol
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the Light Fades is actually a sequel to the first book I ever read by Catherine West, The Things We Knew. That first book was what made me a fan of Catherine’s, and I have enjoyed everything I
have read by her ever since. I have to say, when I first signed up to review this novel, I actually didn’t realize that it was a sequel to The Things We Knew! I read the description, of course, but I
honestly didn’t really pay all that much attention because knew I would enjoy this book. So imagine my
Julia
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As The Light Fades by Catherine West is a powerful contemporary story about family, love, trust and new beginnings.
Once again Catherine West has produced a delightful set of characters who warm the reader’s heart. None are perfect. They are realistically flawed making them easy to identify with and to love.
Families are complicated affairs. Some members gel, others don’t. Children should always come first, when their needs aren’t being met by those who should love them the most, the reader’s
Lisa Hudson
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE GIFT OF GRACE!

Catherine West has blessed readers with a beautiful story of normal people dealing with extraordinary circumstances. She captures your attention early on and you will want to stay with this book and read it all in one setting. The plot deals with a couple of “Old Money” families in Nantucket. To the outside, these families appeared to have everything - strong family, faith, great careers and seemingly thriving relationships. Readers quickly learn that things are not always as
Carla Johnson-Hicks
4.5 stars rounded up. This story had so much more to it than a romance, which was what I was expecting. I really enjoyed this story that dealt with family dynamics, domestic abuse, addiction, alzheimer's, the effects of sexual abuse, all told in an environment of forgiveness and grace. The three main characters are Elizabeth Carlisle, who has come home after escaping an abusive relationship, Matthew, a man who rents Liz his guest house as well as becoming guardian to his 15 year old niece, and ...more
Books and Spoons
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five siblings, renovation of the family home, the father with memory illness, and drama and trouble at their doorsteps... From the first pages, the story resonated with me for various reasons, and it was a marvelous story, a delight to read. I got completely lost in the tale, the scenes so engaging, the relationship drama and trouble giving it spice, and the human tragedies bringing tears to my eyes.
There is so many contrasts in the tale, all the light, the positive, that feeling of conquering
Kathryn Voss
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Catherine West. Can I just say that I love her? Her books are truly the complete package: characters that embed themselves in your heart, a plot that keeps you turning pages, and a message that strikes at your core. Her latest book, As the Light Fades, is a resounding hallmark to this style.

In true West form, she chooses tough issues to tackle. Complicated family dynamics. Self harm. Abusive relationships. Sensitive social issues. But she does it with style, healing, and truth. And she breaks
Andi
Sep 11, 2019 added it
Shelves: empty-shelf-2019
With a book by Catherine West I can guarantee to be fully engrossed and emotionally invested. And As the Light Fades was no different.
The character's in this book are dealing with real life issues that we all deal with. The devastation from past mistakes, fear of the future, and a deep desire to not repeat mistakes and be a better version of themselves go through the book from beginning to end.
Having raised three girls the teenage angst that Mia had was on point and broke my heart all over
Toni Shiloh
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the Light Fades holds elements of a story that is indicative of Catherine West’s writing style. You’ll get more than just a story. You’ll also get heart, life, and ultimately, hope.

I was excited to read As the Light Fades because it continues the story of the Carlisle family. I love these people! Something about their hurts resonates within me and I eagerly await to see how their journey unfolds. Elizabeth Carlisle has a world of hurt and presents a tough exterior to hide the truth.

But
Marylin
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many of us have issues from our past which color our present life. Sometimes those issues can even keep us from fully living.
In this story, there are two characters whose past have very hurtful dark events. They are ashamed of their past and allow it to overwhelm them, keeping them in a state of overpowering fear. They try to just run away from their issues, but those issues keep coming back until they finally find the strength to stand up and fight.
While reading this book, I felt the deep
Leslie M.
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
The story is told via three POVs: Elizabeth Carlisle, who’s moved back to the island after leaving her abusive ex. Her father is battling Alzheimer’s. Matt Stone, who’s recently arrived in town and is caring for his niece. Mia Stone, who’s a troubled fifteen-year-old, forced to deal with things no one her age should have to handle. The three lives intersect when Elizabeth becomes the new tenant at Matt’s guest house.

I’m not a huge fan of romances, and this does have a romance angle to it. It
Emily Yager
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always appreciate it when an author tackles the tough issues and is able to do it in a honest and respectful way.

Seeing the realistic family dynamics and characters grow throughout this story will tug on your heartstrings a bit. The engaging dialogue and descriptive scenes bring this story to live. All of which is set in a beautiful Nantucket setting.

This is a beautifully written and heartfelt story. One that will sit with you for awhile after reading.
Melony
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As the Light Fades is set in Nantucket, and we revisit the loveable characters from West's The Things We Knew. I enjoyed connecting to the Carlisle family again. Catherine West does a phenomenal job of capturing Mr. Carlisle Senior's point of view. This is, however, Liz's story. This Contemporary story tackles real issues faced today with grace and delicacy. And then there's the romance thrown into the mix. A character who stole my heart in this story is Mia and when you read it, you'll see why. ...more
Beth
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Winnie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I pick up a Catherine West book, I know I’m going to find an engrossing and touching story inside, and As the Light Fades is no exception. Although poignant and heart-wrenching, it’s also a moving story of healing, forgiveness, and grace. It seems as if every character had hurts and problems they were battling, but isn’t that the way life really is? We all have things in our past or present that affect us and our relationships.

West has tackled some hard, gritty subjects in this book, and
Jeanne Takenaka
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you come across a story with a poignancy that keeps you reading and asking questions and wanting more.

As the Light Fades, by Catherine West, did this for me. The characters were so real that I pictured them in my mind, felt with them, and at times I feared for them. West lifted me into this story and kept me transfixed until the very last page.

Liz Carlisle, a big city lawyer, finds safety in the Nantucket home she left years ago and begins to deal with the fears her past
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ford (The Montana Marshalls, #3)
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance #1)
  • You Belong with Me (Restoring Heritage #1)
  • The Painted Castle (Lost Castle #3)
  • The Art of Rivers (Coastal Hearts #3)
  • Wyatt (The Montana Marshalls, #4)
  • The Bright Unknown
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • Smoke Screen
  • Just One Kiss
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Always Look Twice (Uncommon Justice, #2)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads #3)
  • Where I Was Planted
  • One Final Breath (Dive Team Investigations, #3)
Catherine West is an award-winning author of contemporary women’s fiction. When she’s not at the computer working on her next story, you can find her taking her Border Collie for long walks or reading books by her favorite authors. She and her husband reside in Bermuda, and have two adult children and two beautiful granddaughters. Catherine is the winner of the 2015 Grace Award (Bridge of Faith) ...more
“Sometimes we’re placed in the strangest of circumstances for the most important reasons.” 0 likes