Start by marking “Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)

Gravemaidens

(Gravemaidens #1)

The start of a fierce fantasy duology about three maidens who are chosen for their land's greatest honor...and one girl determined to save her sister from the grave.

In the walled city-state of Alu, Kammani wants nothing more than to become the accomplished healer her father used to be before her family was cast out of their privileged life in shame.

When Alu's ruler falls
Published October 29th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Gravemaidens, please sign up.
Kelly Coon We're at two for sure right now via contract, but....we cannot completely rule out more. It depends on interest!
Kelly Coon No! But if you ARE interested in a book inspired by ancient China, check out Joan He's DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE. =)

Start your review of Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Wow! There were some evil bastards in this book with some graphic violence! But all is well my peeps, you can skim over those little portions! I, myself would like to set fire to those evil beings but that is neither here nor there.

I love this freaking book and can we take a moment to love that cover?! I can't wait to have the finished copy in my hands! Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

At times you do want to smack some people, including the main character, but that happens.

Kamma
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

So, at first I was like 😍, but then I was like 😏, and then I was like 😐, but then I was like 😶, with a little bit of 🙄, and when I went to write my review I was like 🙃. Basically, the evolution of my disappointment with GRAVEMAIDENS. It promised me something dark and dangerous, and ended up being just another book in the long litany of the Basic Girl Fantasy™ canon.

**contains very mild spoilers**

GRAVEMAIDENS is set in a world that seems to draw inspiration from Ancient Egypt/Ancient Sumerian soc
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded definitely up to four, are you all set to teleport yourself into a fairy tale meets fantasy meets historical romantic journey, if you nod passionately, stop staring with your mouth open and join this amazing j voyage because you feel hooked from the first pages and you don’t want to put it down stars!

Raise your hands to clap because there is a new author in the literature town and we should welcome Kelly Coon with open arms. Because we need good minds, creative genius br
Lola
3.5 stars.

This is the kind of commercial fantasy that you read, enjoy and then completely forget about. But I guess in this particular case I’m not allowed to forget about it because there will be a second and final book that will wrap up the story and decide Kammani’s fate once and for all.

To be honest, this book made me hate the concept of duologies. In some cases—rare cases—they work well and actually help deliver a good story without making the reader feel as though t
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
All US and International pre-orders can submit proof of purchase HERE to receive a special package including enamel pin, bookmark, laptop sticker, signed bookplate, and exclusive deleted scene.

I think my 3 stars are more a case of "it's not the book, it's me". I've read SO many YA fantasies touting unique ideas that promise a different sort of heroine, and unfortunately I've just read too many of these stories with the same basic girl dropped into a new setting. I think there are so many readers who will l
C.G. Drews
It's really nice to see epic fantasies featuring STEM girls 😌🙌🏻don't get me wrong, I love warriors. But this is a different sort of strength and war, so it was great to read about Kammani who is a talented teenage healer and has to stop the king from dying so her sister isn't buried alive with him as part of a sacred ritual. The world was very Middle-Easter inspired, but all names and customs were fictional, and it's family focused over romance focused, which was also refreshing. (Although total ...more
megs_bookrack
'Grave' in the title? Totally counts as a Spooktober read!!

Thank you, Delacorte Press, for my ARC!!! Truly appreciated.

The premise of this sounds so intriguing to me. Giving me Reign of the Fallen or We Set the Dark on Fire vibes!

Sarah Glenn Marsh
Official comments: A dark and utterly enthralling journey to an ancient land, Gravemaidens grabs you by your beating heart and refuses to let go until the bitter, breathtaking end.

Unofficial comments: FREAKING AMAZING!!!!! I loved the cast of Gravemaidens so much, I'm not even sure who I ship! PLEASE JUST READ IT SO YOU CAN FANGIRL WITH ME!
Amanda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Gravemaidens Bookstagram Photo.png

Gravemaidens went on my wish list the second that I saw its cover. I had my fingers crossed hoping that I could get an advanced review copy. When I did I had the hardest time waiting until closer to publication to actually read it. After many of my most anticipated releases of the second half of 201class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Candace Robinson
This one was a bit of a slow read and sometimes that works but it made it hard for me to connect to the plot. I think my main frustration was how the MC was to the love interest. Like not sure if there just should have been no romance? Anyway, the cover is seriously beautiful and so is that title!
Vicky Who Reads
I'M GOING TO START THIS SOON AND I AM SO READY AHH

pretty covers are my weakness
so are powerful women
anD MOTHS

exciement levels: through the roof

Thank you so much to Random House and Netgalley for the digital review copy in exchange for an honest review!
Gita Trelease
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like your historical fantasy thrilling and fast-paced? Set in a time period you’ve been dying to immerse yourself in? Full of compelling characters, including sinister villains and a strong heroine? If so, read on!

GRAVEMAIDENS tells the story of Kammani, a healer’s apprentice, who must use what skills and medicines she has to stop the king from dying—and taking her little sister into the grave with him. But when intrigue at the palace turns deadly, it will take all Kammani’s strength, smarts, a
The Nerd Daily
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

The book that I’m getting ready to talk about explores the bond of sisterhood, and how one young woman will do everything in her power to save her beloved sister from a tradition that is drenched in beauty and death. Readers will also be treated to the power struggle between genders, and the strength that women have to overcome their struggles in a heavily misogynistic society. There’s so much to love about this story, th
Michael Coon
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gravemaidens is beautifully written with compelling characters and an ending that leaves you wanting to read more and more. Kelly Coon has artfully crafted one of the most exciting novels to hit the young adult market and you won’t regret the choice to join Kammani and her fight against injustice.
Marie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
**A free copy was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **

This is the kind of book that would have been amazing, if not for a few reasons.

1. The female lead was veeeery frustrating.

Kammani is one stressed character. She’s the kind that will try to lift the world on her shoulders... ALONE. Sometimes, that’s a good thing but in this case, it was not. All it did was lead her into stupid decisions. It’s one thing to be brave but/>1.
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Gravemaidens was such a pleasant surprise for me.  I loved the cover and knew it sounded good, but I still worried a bit.

I think what thrilled me the most about this book is that there was a big mystery.  The world building was easy to follow and I had no problems remembering the characters.

I'm going to start with the warnings because there are some heavy topics in this book.  I'm sorry if I miss any.  Death, murder, torture/abuse/beatings/whip
Celia McMahon
Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to review this title.

Well, this was a big fat NOPE.

Ok so, the story was unique. Three girls are chosen as maidens for their ruler. In this case, the ruler is dying. Therefore, the three girls will die with him, which is a huge honor apparently. Healer Kammani's sister is chosen, and Nanaea is all gung ho about it. But sister is like, nah, you aren't dying today, sis, and takes her father's place as a healer to keep the ruler from dying, thus saving
Kal ★ Reader Voracious

Thank you, Delacorte Press, for sending my an ARC of Gravemaidens for review!

Holy hell, this book. THIS BOOK. What a beautiful story about love and sacrifice. I laughed, I cried. Sometimes at the same time. Review to come.

I am so excited that Gravemaidens is one of the Reader Voracious Novel19 Books! To read my interview with Kelly Coon about her debut and path to publishing, check out my blog post!

12/21/18: Excuse me, was this book written with my interests in mind?! This sounds like an interesting tale of love and sacrifice inspired by practices of Anc
Angela Staudt
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The first half of GraveMaidens is quite slow, so slow in fact that my hopes started to dwindle that this would be a good book. Not to mention the main character made me want to pull my hair out, and her sister made me want to scream with how selfish she was. So, not a good start. The second half completely blew me away. I learned more about Kammani’s family and their past, and the story really started to pick up. I rea
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Gravemaidens definitely started off with a bang..but like small one. It sucked me in and kind of reminded me of Hunger Games a bit. Mostly because of the whole saving her younger sister from being sacrificed. Again, this was definitely a page turner in my opinion because HG was a bit boring to me (the first 500 times I tried to read the first book).

In it, you will meet Kammani, Dagan, and Iltani. There are a bunch of other characters/>
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Gravemaidens
Author – Kelly Coon
Series – Gravemaidens
Cliffhanger? - Yes
Publication Date – October 29, 2019
Genre – YA Fantasy
Rating – 4 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

Well, let’s start with the characters – Kammani, Dagan, Nanaea, and Iltani – these are the major characters of the story and my feelings for each one differs GREATLY!

Iltani – I loved her – absolutely she is my favorite character with her pers/>My/>/>/>Publication/>/>
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
This cover is lovely <3
---
I feel like this sounds similar to mangas/manhwas I've read and that has me interested.
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
This sounds like something I have never read before. *Adds to to-read shelf*
Jonah ❤️LIBROCUBICULARIST❤️
4 stars

The Boatmans' Refrain

The river is wide
The river is deep

I take their souls to earn my keep
The end of day
Is the start of night

I bathe in horror, bask in fright
Three queens of beauty
Maidens fair
I'll hide their souls within my lair

For the river is wide
The river is deep
I take their souls to earn my keep

This is a great debut novel by the author! And the C O V E R... It's so enticing, beautiful and an open invitation on my book shelf!

After reading the first Chapter, I know I am in good hands and I am instantly hooked!

The story is about the tradition of the court for having 3 Maidens or rather, Gravemaidens as theystars
Erika
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to read early for an honest review.

This is a hard one to rate. The story was unique, but some of the author's word and phrasing choices made it difficult to immerse myself in the world. I'd stop reading and reread the line and think, "That's how you want to say that - seriously?"

I was also frequently annoyed with the main character's thoughts and actions. She was continuously facing attacks on her life and wanted to keep relying on herself. I wante
julia ♥
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-arcs
A very unique setting mixed with pretty writing equals 5 stars for me. An enthralling combination of YA fantasy, historical romance, and spooky vibes. Love!
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

This is, I think, the earliest ARC I’ve ever read – it doesn’t come out for almost a whole year! This was a solid debut novel with writing that flowed well (though there were some flies in the ointment.)

I’ve been giving out a lot of 4-star ratings lately, which is not like me at all – I’m a fairly harsh reviewer! But I’m lucky to have read so many amazing books over the last month.

Sixteen-year-old Kammani is the daughter of the only Healer, or A-zu, in the city-state of Alu. But they l
Jackie
May 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, 2019-reads
This is a book that is painfully slow and while it speaks to an interesting premise it offers nothing new to a story we’ve read before.

“Gravemaidens” follows a family cast out of their wealthy society who have suffered loss after loss when the ceremony for the Sacred Maidens, three young women who will accompany the Lugal in death, threatens to take the only sister Kammani has left. Determined to keep her sister alive, she heads off to the palace ready to heal the Lugal by any means necessary b
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
3,5 stars

Thank you to Random House Children and netgalley for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not change my opinion in anyway

TW: Cult Murder / Religious Murder / Suicide / Poisoning and its side effects / Forcing someone to vomit / Baby Passing Away / MOther Passing Away during Child Birth

I was so excited for Gravemaidens, and don’t get me wrong, it is still a very solid book, but it is just not memorable enough.

Gravemaidens focuses on Kammani who is training under
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

Gravemaidens was quite the dark, entertaining story! I kind of fell in love with it, honestly. Look, I am going to go ahead and get my one negative out of the way first so we can get to the good stuff: It's kind of predictable. I wasn't ever really shocked by what happened next, but the story and the characters and the world were so engrossing that it really didn't make it any less enjoyable.
was

• The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Tiger Queen
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Cursed
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • Coral
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Winterwood

YA author Kelly Coon (GRAVEMAIDENS, Oct. 29 2019 Delacorte Press, sequel 2020) is an editor for Blue Ocean Brain, a member of the Washington Post Talent Network, a former high school English teacher, ACT test prep book author, and a wicked karaoke singer in training. She adores giving female characters the chance to flex their muscles and use their brains, and wishes every story got the happy endi

Gravemaidens (2 books)
  • Untitled (Gravemaidens, #2)